VWVortex.com - 2019 Golf R - Prices Paid (Fall 2019)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2019 Golf R - Prices Paid (Fall 2019)

Vehicles
      gray hare.
      01-20-2020 09:06 PM #101
      I don’t know about Cali but trading in a car in in Pennsylvania drastically saves you on the sales tax portion of it.

If I buy a Golf R for $38,000 and trade in my other car for $30,000, I’m only paying sales tax on $8,000.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE 4-door manual, PP, LP, DCC, Reflex Silver
      01-20-2020 09:51 PM #102
      The dealer gave me a ballpark trade-in value of $10-13K pending inspection of my car. Even at $13K, this switch makes little sense to me financially. Perhaps this is all my car is worth, in which case I should just drive it for a few more years to lessen the pain of depreciation.

4. 01-21-2020 02:59 PM #103
      FYI, that dealership in SoCal that is offering 4k off MSRP on Cargurus will charge you an extra $995 in accessories.

5. 01-21-2020 03:52 PM #104
      Hey Guys, First post on the forum so I figured I make a contribution to this discussion . I got a used 2019 Blue Golf R MT with black wheels and only 2,700 miles. OTD price was $36k and I picked it up in San Antonio TX. The sales price was just under $35k and they added on another $400 for title, tags and the dealer BS fees. Registration was another $600 or so and no sales tax where I live. The only downside to this deal was it took me 3 days to get back home as i live in New Hampshire . The car now has little over 5k miles but it still feels like brand new. I was looking to get a new one but the best OTD quote I got was little over $39k.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE 4-door manual, PP, LP, DCC, Reflex Silver
      01-21-2020 04:27 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Ovox0 View Post
      FYI, that dealership in SoCal that is offering 4k off MSRP on Cargurus will charge you an extra $995 in accessories.
      You are referring to CardinaleWay VW in Corona, right? When I got my GTI from them, they had a bunch of extra charges for Scotchguard, door edge guards and Nitrofill for the tires. I refused to pay for any of it and they took them all off. I’m definitely not paying for any bogus accessories. VW already adds some port-installed overpriced accessories like first aid kit, rubber mats and wheel locks on the window sticker.
      Last edited by Ali B; 01-22-2020 at 01:22 PM.

7. 01-21-2020 07:09 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Ali B View Post
      You are referring to CardinaleWay VW in Corona, right? When I got my GTI from them, they had a bunch of extra charges for Scotchguard, door edge guards and Nitrofill for the tires. I refused to pay for any of it and they took them all off. I’m definitely not paying for any bogus accessories. VW already adds some port-installed overpriced accessories like first aid kit and wheel locks.
      Correct, they weren't willing to budge on the dealer accessories when I was shopping around for a R.

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      01-22-2020 12:23 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Ovox0 View Post
      The R I bought on the last day of November was a similar situation - advertised at about $2300 off list, but when pressed for a complete, itemized quote, it had the entire discount offset (almost exactly) with the usual list of BS add-ons - door-edge guards, nitrogen, "lifetime" window tint, some sort of VIN tagging of all body panels, and some wacky PDR warranty - all at hideously inflated prices ($279 for nitrogen in the tires, anyone? LOL!). I agreed to pay half of the ask for the tint, and NOTHING for anything else, and the deal was accepted and moved forward.

Bottom line - everything is negotiable. If you see a car at $4k off and you're bound and determined that this should be your final price, so be it - make that offer. They may counter and maybe you'll meet in the middle somewhere. Or you can choose to walk. In these situations, a lot of where I wind up depends on how the dealership handles the communication and negotiation.

Right now there are still a lot of cars out there and a shrinking number of potential buyers. Find the car you really want, make an offer, and if it's not accepted at first, at least your foot is in the door and you may well get counter-offers, eventually winding up at the desired figure, or at least close enough to it to pull the trigger.

Or wait an eternity for a Mk8, with frustrating touch & slider controls everywhere, an iPad-looking abomination hung off the dash like it's 2014 all over again, cost-cutting evident all over the place (prop rod for the hood, anyone?), and buttloads of first-year niggles. No thanks.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Golf R
      01-23-2020 07:15 PM #108
      Bought mine in central Florida a week or so ago for $3,800 off sticker, roughly. Only accessory was the weather mats. Or whatever you want to call them.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      19 .:R / 05 GLI
      01-24-2020 01:37 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Ali B View Post
      That's a great price, but it's hard to compare OTD pricing from different parts of the country since tax rates, fees, etc. are very different.

So my situation is that this particular SoCal dealer has only 1 Tornado Red 6MT and 2 DSG cars (Tornado red and black) left in their inventory. Black is a non-starter for me (hot and difficult to keep clean), so my option is basically Tornado Red at this dealership for $4K off MSRP.

I can live with Tornado Red color. The remaining questions are:

1) Can I do better than $4K off MSRP?
      2) What's a fair trade-in value for my 2016 GTI SE?

I'm generally not in favor of dealer trade-ins since you can get screwed on two different transactions instead of one. I wasn't looking to change cars, so that's why I have not looked into my car's valuation. I guess I'll start looking at kbb.com, Edmunds.com, etc. to see what I should expect from this dealer if I decide to go in and talk shop.
      Yeah, I live in Denver where there's an insane markup for anything with AWD/4WD or unique colors. Tacomas and Rs are notorious for $10k markups. For that reason I was looking at dealerships anywhere from Virginia (where the prices seem quite competitive) to California (where there are also markups). For me, I was willing to drive or arrange shipping for a good enough deal. If I found $5-7k off off MSRP, then that's enough incentive for me to travel. I bought a one-way ticket for $75, a hotel room for $75, and I got very acquainted with my new car on the trip home.

As far as tax, from my understanding (and my situation), you're on the hook for sales tax in your local county. You can't travel to Montana and avoid sales-tax. Dealer fees are always negotiable. I negotiated $36k and "compromised" on their "fee" at $800. I say that because the fee was originally $400, but they accidentally dropped the price $1500 under what we negotiated at, and so I threw them a bone and added an extra $400.

My advice is to negotiate hard on the bottom-line price of the car. Once you've agreed, then start talking about trade-ins. Dealerships are notorious for lowballing trade-ins to recoup the awesome deal that they've baited their customers with.

My second piece of advise is to consider traveling and using that as leverage with your negotiation. Then you're not purchasing a car in a color "that you can live with" and are getting what you want. If you're okay with slightly used, then you can potentially save a ton.

Examples of what's out there
      https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

11. 02-11-2020 06:43 PM #110
      Anybody pick up a 2019 R at a significant discount given that they are now “a leftover” and new details are coming out regarding the new R?

Many thanks

12. 02-14-2020 05:00 PM #111
      Just picked up a new 2019 DSG. Only options were monster mats and the net. Paid 41k out the door. No trade. Best price I could find. Had to go all the way to Georgia to find the indium at that price. In south Florida the lowest I could get was roughly 44.4 out the door. Both prices included 400 new tag in Florida. Forgot to mention they took the 500 first responder discount even though supposedly it was not eligible. No one in Florida would do that.
      Last edited by streetmuziq; 02-14-2020 at 05:11 PM.

13. 02-14-2020 05:14 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by PSU View Post
      I don’t know about Cali but trading in a car in in Pennsylvania drastically saves you on the sales tax portion of it.

If I buy a Golf R for $38,000 and trade in my other car for $30,000, I’m only paying sales tax on $8,000.
      That's how it works in WA as well, but not in CA. In CA, you pay tax on the sales price of the car irrespective of any trade-in.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      02-14-2020 09:44 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Watts View Post
      That's how it works in WA as well, but not in CA. In CA, you pay tax on the sales price of the car irrespective of any trade-in.
      Be glad you’re not in VA, not only do we pay tax on the gross sales price of the car, we do so even if it’s leased

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R; 2013 Audi TT RS
      02-14-2020 09:51 PM #114
      $4K off MSRP in Northern VA - 2019 R w/DSG and black wheel package

16. 02-15-2020 10:54 AM #115
      Paid $3,500 off MSRP for a 2019 w/ DSG in NC a couuple weeks ago. No trade-in and no financing so no behind the scenes dealer profit sources to distort the deal.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      02-15-2020 03:04 PM #116
      Hawaii the car says tax is 11.5% even if issued out of state, if is going to be registered there you pay it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

18. Yesterday 02:16 AM #117
      Just picked up my Golf R tonight. DSG, Lapiz Blue.....location South Florida

$2000 off sticker, came with mats, sunshade, cargo mat w/blocks, cargo net. Dealer charged a $600 or so "dealer fee".......i was able to negotiate up $500 more on my trade, so I think overall was a fair deal. I think this is the last Lapiz Blue (NEW) in Florida. There is a Jazz Blue Metallic (Spektrum), but of course that carries the $2500 premium.
      2019 Golf R (LBM, DSG)
      Past: 2016 GTI Autobahn (PP, LP, DSG), 2010 GTI SE, 2003 20th Anniversary GTI, 2000 Porsche 911

19. Yesterday 12:18 PM #118
      Picked up my R over the weekend. Indium Grey DSG with Black Wheels. Got $4,050 off MSRP. Located in So Cal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345