VWVortex.com - Didn't even make it a month!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Didn't even make it a month!

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      GSW, V70R, FFR, CooperS, 360, 318is
      10-29-2019 06:37 PM #1
      Just got rear ended in my new GSW. Dammit. Damage is minor but it's going to need a new bumper cover. In my experience, the odds of getting something like white-silver perfect are low. I'll bring the car to one of the two 'best' in my area. They did a really good job on my '15 e-golf after my wife tagged a red light runner but it wasn't so good I couldn't tell it had been repainted. sigh...

EDIT: I don't know why the pic doesn't show up. http://www.exit109.com/~mfennell/gsw-bumper.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 10-29-2019 07:26 PM #2
      I would throw a little touch up paint on it and put the insurance payout in the bank. Bumpers take a beating in NJ. The odds of it remaining damage free around here are pretty slim.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      10-29-2019 07:32 PM #3
      Man that sux on multiple levels.

However, that said, you'd be surprised at how good colour matching is nowadays. Both my wife's GSW and mine got hit in separate parking lot hit-and-runs last year. Both cars are silk blue and I thought the same as you, it's going to be impossible to match.

Both cars turned out perfect.

At least the bumper cover is plastic. My worry is when metal is bent... it's never the same after. I got sideswiped in my old B5.5 Passat TDI 13 years ago, by a cell-phone distracted tailgater who couldn't stop in time and tried to squeeze between me and the Jersey barrier; $5500 damage was the result. Paint match was perfect, but tons of trouble afterwards with door alignment and premature rust.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      10-29-2019 08:56 PM #4
      Looking at the pic, it doesn't look that bad. My wife has similar damage on her bumper cover, in the middle, from backing into a sign. We're not going to bother fixing it, nor will we claim it on the insurance. If it were on metal I'd have it fixed ASAP to prevent rust. But plastic? Meh!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      10-29-2019 10:14 PM #5
      The shape of the damage resembles the upper body of a horse throwing its front legs in an attacking way. Just add a horn ( to make it a unicorn) and “SUV” vinyl graphics to the right and it would look intentional to show a furious unicorn throwing a magical attack at the SUV.
      Last edited by Phil37; 10-29-2019 at 10:53 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2019 11:04 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Donut View Post
      I would throw a little touch up paint on it and put the insurance payout in the bank. Bumpers take a beating in NJ. The odds of it remaining damage free around here are pretty slim.
      I'm not street parking in Hoboken, I live in the burbs (Middletown - central/shore area). I've never had a bumper get so much as scratched!

Maybe it's not "that bad" but it's a brand new f'ing car. I've owned it for 29 days FFS.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
      10-30-2019 01:10 AM #7

j/k

My car was new once. I put a crease in it. Saw the quote for a shop to fix. Crease is still there, 3+ years later.

The first cut is the deepest.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      10-30-2019 01:43 AM #8
      you call that a rear end accident?

How hard can it be!

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      10-30-2019 01:48 AM #9
      four months of ownership came to an abrupt halt...

That is a real rear end accident...HaHa
      How hard can it be!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      10-30-2019 09:01 AM #10
      good to see that tow hook did it's job
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-30-2019 09:30 AM #11
      Yeah, yeah. #firstworldproblems . I'm still allowed to be pissed! I usually make it at least a year before I do something stupid like open a door into the corner of the steps (e-golf) or let my Cobra replica (with pokey quick jacks) roll into it (Volt, GT3).

Don't need a cover. Shop is going to spot and blend.

Can't see your accident MidnightGSW - my work network is picky about image share sites.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '18 GSW 4mo DSG
      10-30-2019 09:30 AM #12
      I know the feeling. My white silver GSW met a deer 2 months after purchase. I was also concerned with getting the paint just right, but even with a new hood, bumper and front quarter panel I honestly can't spot any difference in color. I also managed to upgrade the stock halogens to BEC lights because there was a crazy backorder on factory lights. That helped soften the blow. The only thing that still bugs me is that the shop redrilled my new bumper for a front plate despite my instructions to leave it off. Lesson learned, I should have taken the plate and bracket with me when I dropped it off to remove the temptation.

15. 10-30-2019 10:48 AM #13
      My wife's CRV made it 2 days before it was rear ended. Then it took a month to fix it.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI Autobahn PP, '67 Type 1, '13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, '95 Porsche 993, Jeep Wrangler
      11-01-2019 01:25 PM #14
      I bought my car on the internet while on a business trip, from my local dealer. Did the paperwork virtually and simply had to pick up the keys at the front desk. Fortunately I did a walk around though, as my vehicle had a giant dent in it. Dealer claimed to know nothing of it. That's when the fun began. Drove it home and it was missing the one specific package that I wanted (thus an all option Autobahn GTI). Unfortunately the days of the unscrupulous dealer are alive and well.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI, Autobahn, PP, DCC, LP, DSG, CSG, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's, Unitronic Stage 1.5 and TCU
      11-01-2019 07:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mfennell70 View Post
      Just got rear ended in my new GSW. Dammit. Damage is minor but it's going to need a new bumper cover. In my experience, the odds of getting something like white-silver perfect are low. I'll bring the car to one of the two 'best' in my area. They did a really good job on my '15 e-golf after my wife tagged a red light runner but it wasn't so good I couldn't tell it had been repainted. sigh...

EDIT: I don't know why the pic doesn't show up. http://www.exit109.com/~mfennell/gsw-bumper.JPG
      I live a few miles south of you (between Seagirt and Belmar right on the shore) and also never had my bumpers rubbed or bumped due to parking. You can try Lee's Garage in Long Branch (they have a secondary location in Shrewsbury). If you're interested I know them so PM me and I will give you the name of a great contact there and my name that you can use. They are factory authorized for just about any make and due most dealership collision work. They can get it right. Good luck!

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-02-2019 10:28 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by barbados11 View Post
      I live a few miles south of you (between Seagirt and Belmar right on the shore) and also never had my bumpers rubbed or bumped due to parking. You can try Lee's Garage in Long Branch (they have a secondary location in Shrewsbury). If you're interested I know them so PM me and I will give you the name of a great contact there and my name that you can use. They are factory authorized for just about any make and due most dealership collision work. They can get it right. Good luck!
      Hey neighbor! Do you ever make it up to our Cars&Coffees at The Grove and in Red Bank?

Lees used to have a great reputation but Schneider Nelson sent my old GT3 over there after a careless tech scraped the bottom of the bumper all up several years back. They did a total half-assed **** job on my 100% perfect 12k mile car. I do better work. I was selling it and, fortunately for me, the buyer was making it a track car and didn't care.

Ryans in Ocean did a good job on my e-golf when my wife tagged a red light runner this spring so I'm going to them.

19. 11-07-2019 11:37 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
      Man that sux on multiple levels.

However, that said, you'd be surprised at how good colour matching is nowadays. Both my wife's GSW and mine got hit in separate parking lot hit-and-runs last year. Both cars are silk blue and I thought the same as you, it's going to be impossible to match.

Both cars turned out perfect.

At least the bumper cover is plastic. My worry is when metal is bent... it's never the same after. I got sideswiped in my old B5.5 Passat TDI 13 years ago, by a cell-phone distracted tailgater who couldn't stop in time and tried to squeeze between me and the Jersey barrier; $5500 damage was the result. Paint match was perfect, but tons of trouble afterwards with door alignment and premature rust.
      Sorry that happened. I’ve had cars fixed like that too, paint started chipping off, rust spots. That same car got painted right after that and is still perfect even though the job was done years and years ago. I’ve Also owned or bought cars from VW like the one my daughter and son drove, and they always did a fine job. You just got a bad shop. Same with colour match, a pro Should be able to pull it off.