VWVortex.com - Snow tires on the M3. Worth it?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snow tires on the M3. Worth it?

1. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      11-08-2019 12:49 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      After further review, it’s time to buy an old cop car. Or an old Forester. Friends don’t let friends buy CR-Vs.

Around here, old cop cars are FWD Impalas
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT, GF's 2008 Rabbit Auto
      11-08-2019 12:54 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd rather a Chevy 3.8 than a Dodge
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - 164k - Things wrong 0 -
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door - Things wrong - A lot - (project)
      GF's 2008 Rabbit 4 door Tiptronic - 187k - Things wrong 2 - Blower Motor (for first few seconds) and SAI - not bad
      Insta

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 01:25 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Colty_CM View Post
      You're not thinking right.

Instagram - efrie004

5. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-08-2019 03:06 PM #104
      What is wrong with you people?
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      11-08-2019 03:19 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      This, 100%. Don't buy snow tires. Where OP lives he won't benefit from them. He would benefit from either a decent all season or a winter performance tire, depending on how much actual snow he gets.

I bought snow tires for my STI. In Philly. It makes it handle worse than a Corolla. Don't make my mistake.

Real snow tires are like driving on marshmallows. Think old truck/Jeep steering feel where you can get 1/4 turn before much of any "response". Where snow tires win is all out terrible, icy, slushy, deep thick snow. On dry roads they "float" and shimmy around. Even still they are shown to stop faster and better than AS/summer tires in the ice cold. Its a cold, nasty weather tire, that's the only thing they do REALLY well. Everything else is Ehh...

If you get a mild winter, sure A/S are likely fine. The biggest issue the M3 has is the wide wheels, they will float over everything.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 03:29 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Real snow tires are like driving on marshmallows. Think old truck/Jeep steering feel where you can get 1/4 turn before much of any "response". Where snow tires win is all out terrible, icy, slushy, deep thick snow. On dry roads they "float" and shimmy around. Even still they are shown to stop faster and better than AS/summer tires in the ice cold. Its a cold, nasty weather tire, that's the only thing they do REALLY well. Everything else is Ehh...

If you get a mild winter, sure A/S are likely fine. The biggest issue the M3 has is the wide wheels, they will float over everything.
      You're driving the wrong snow tires.

The Dunlop WinterSports I put on my S2000 are probably as good or better than many all seasons.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-08-2019 03:46 PM #107
      Hey now, the later ones had the 306hp 3.6l
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      11-08-2019 04:08 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      You're driving the wrong snow tires.

The Dunlop WinterSports I put on my S2000 are probably as good or better than many all seasons.

That depends on what your looking for in a snow tire. There's full stud-less extreme weather snow tires or you can get a "performance" snow tire which is better then an A/S but not a hard core winter tire. If you live in Canada or Alaska/similar harsh winter the full snow's might be a benefit. Mild winter, sure get the other ones. They will be better in the dry.

Example.
      Full Winter Tire

Performance Winter Tire

10. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-08-2019 04:23 PM #109
      That depends on what your looking for in a snow tire. There's full stud-less extreme weather snow tires or you can get a "performance" snow tire which is better then an A/S but not a hard core winter tire. If you live in Canada or Alaska/similar harsh winter the full snow's might be a benefit. Mild winter, sure get the other ones. They will be better in the dry.
      Yup. Performance snows are good to drive on but trade some deep snow performance. Studless snows are floppy but do better in deep snow. Someone that swears by summer tires in August is far more likely to prefer performance snows in February, while someone with all-seasons in August might need studless in February.

In the case of the F80, however, I think a Summers/Studless combo makes sense as you're trading the poor driving feel for RWD motive traction.

11. 11-08-2019 05:44 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      In the case of the F80, however, I think a Summers/Studless combo makes sense as you're trading the poor driving feel for RWD motive traction.
      This. I go for full studless winter tires on the SS. Handling is floppy, but I don’t care since the tires make it a tank in the snow and slush.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      2018 M3, 1998 M3 Convertible, 2009 GTI
      11-08-2019 05:52 PM #111
      So I came upon this fine specimen on craigslist https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...003032019.html
      and will go see it over the weekend. Pepper my angus?

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      11-08-2019 05:59 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yeah, no. I live in the philly burbs and snow tires on my m3 were great when the temps dip. Your mistake is thinking that snow tires were designed to make the car feel the same as ultra hp summer tires in the winter. That's not the case, particularly if you increase the sidewall and narrow the tire width, which is more ideal in the winter. Cold weather braking, if nothing else, is much better than summers or all seasons in the same temps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Wrong. Cold weather braking on a dry surface takes a real dump when I put the snow tires on.

OP needs performance winter tires. Not snow tires.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      11-08-2019 06:00 PM #113

Yep. This.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

15. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-08-2019 06:43 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      So I came upon this fine specimen on craigslist https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...003032019.html
      lol youll prob pay 100% of it's value before winter is up in repairs

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      11-09-2019 01:16 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Colty_CM View Post
      Not to be a pedant but Imps only had the 3.5/3.9s, and the last year had the 3.6.

Regular Impalas are worthless so I wouldn't get an old police model.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 07:46 AM #116
      I see there's a new WS90 tire from bridgestone. Any opinions on that? Or should I get the X-ice? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...cleSearch=true

18. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      11-09-2019 09:58 AM #117

Kinda weird they shot a picture of the head unit showing it has a wiring problem. "Protect" displayed from A/V components is a sure sign of foul play.

....or! They are just listening to a song called protect when they took the picture (not likely)

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 10:24 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      Kinda weird they shot a picture of the head unit showing it has a wiring problem. "Protect" displayed from A/V components is a sure sign of foul play.

....or! They are just listening to a song called protect when they took the picture (not likely)
      Good to know. The seller is unresponsive, so I'll take that as a sign I should pass.

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 15 M3, 17 GTI Sport
      11-09-2019 12:22 PM #119
      I see there's a new WS90 tire from bridgestone. Any opinions on that? Or should I get the X-ice? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...cleSearch=true
      Unless they've made pretty significant changes from the WS80 I wouldn't run these on the M3. I ran the WS80's on my GTI, and why they're absolutely great on snow and ice they aren't good at all in normal conditions. The M3 will absolutely chew them up on warm days as well. I was lucky to get an entire season on the drive wheels on the GTI.

Vehicles
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      11-09-2019 12:27 PM #120
      I got caught in a freak snow storm last year in my 328d with 437Ms. Aside from no traction, the car handled it well enough. With the right tires, it should be fun.

I'm not planning on getting snow tires for my M3 though.

flickr | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      The only place to hide your genitals is in the ladies of your enemies.

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      11-09-2019 12:32 PM #121
      Rather than create a new thread, this seems like the perfect place to ask. I bought a used A4 Quattro a few months, back and it came with brand new 19-inch performance summer tires installed. I live in central NC, which has mild winters (mainly colder temperatures rather than a lot of snow). If there is even a slight dusting of snow on the roads or the a hint of snow, school is called off (so I don't need to get on the roads to take the kids to school), and I work from home, so I don't make any unnecessary runs anyway.

We have an Outback if we need to do any driving in the snow. My question is should I even bother with a set of snow tires or all-season tires for what would be likely 2.5 to 3 months max of cold temps? I've heard that summer tires get brittle and handling turns to s**t below 45 degrees or so. I'm new to this as all of my previous vehicles have had all-seasons.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      07 Q7 4.2, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      11-09-2019 12:35 PM #122
      I handled two Montana winters including mountain pass travel in a Z4 with proper snow tires as my daily driver. Worked wonderfully, very balanced. Only issue were the really heavy snowfall days when it became a plow getting down un-maintained streets.
      I bought the narrower 17" wheels that would clear the brakes in a square set-up. Had some true winter tires, not the performance types, that yes decreased the sportiness of the car in the dry but were no where near "truck or Jeep" feel. It was worth the trade off for the nasty days.

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 12:39 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Rather than create a new thread, this seems like the perfect place to ask. I bought a used A4 Quattro a few months, back and it came with brand new 19-inch performance summer tires installed. I live in central NC, which has mild winters (mainly colder temperatures rather than a lot of snow). If there is even a slight dusting of snow on the roads or the a hint of snow, school is called off (so I don't need to get on the roads to take the kids to school), and I work from home, so I don't make any unnecessary runs anyway.

We have an Outback if we need to do any driving in the snow. My question is should I even bother with a set of snow tires or all-season tires for what would be likely 2.5 to 3 months max of cold temps? I've heard that summer tires get brittle and handling turns to s**t below 45 degrees or so. I'm new to this as all of my previous vehicles have had all-seasons.
      In your situation I wouldn't get winter tires. If you aren't running super sticky rubber like RE71R's or Cup 2's or something your tires will be fine in colder temps. Traction won't be as good, but keep that in mind and you're fine.

Vehicles
      2015 Chevy SS
      11-09-2019 12:46 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
      Unless they've made pretty significant changes from the WS80 I wouldn't run these on the M3. I ran the WS80's on my GTI, and why they're absolutely great on snow and ice they aren't good at all in normal conditions. The M3 will absolutely chew them up on warm days as well. I was lucky to get an entire season on the drive wheels on the GTI.
      I would recommend a performance winter for an M3. The snow & ice tires are awesome for, well, snow and ice but would most likely not handle very well on dry pavement as they tend to be squirmy.

I have been running Michelin PA4s on my SS for the past 4 winters (this will be my 5th and probably last on this set) and they are fantastic. They are great on snow and excellent on dry pavement.

Obligatory photo of my car in the snow.

Last edited by silverxt; 11-09-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 02:00 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by silverxt View Post
      I would recommend a performance winter for an M3. The snow & ice tires are awesome for, well, snow and ice but would most likely not handle very well on dry pavement as they tend to be squirmy.

I have been running Michelin PA4s on my SS for the past 4 winters (this will be my 5th and probably last on this set) and they are fantastic. They are great on snow and excellent on dry pavement.

Obligatory photo of my car in the snow.

I'm going to end up going studless winters on all 4 corners just for some extra peace of mind when I go into the mountains. If I didn't regularly drive into the mountains in winter I'd 100% go with more performance winters. Studless are realistically going to be overkill for 98% of my driving out here, but that 2% will likely be worth it.

The performance winters I have on the rear were more than fine for the one storm we've had so far. It being completely flat outside of the mountains helps a ton with that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast