VWVortex.com - Gordon Ramsay has quite a car collection! "Gordon's so rich he hasn't even seen all his UK cars together before." TRACKDAY
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 50 of 50

    Thread: Gordon Ramsay has quite a car collection! "Gordon's so rich he hasn't even seen all his UK cars together before." TRACKDAY

    1. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,321
      Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      11-07-2019 09:16 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      How many Veloster Ns does he have? That's how you judge his cred.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Car Problems's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2014
      Posts
      2,702
      Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      11-08-2019 12:52 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Wow I had no idea that guy was real-life wealthy and not just putting on a TV show act. A quick search says he's got a net worth of $220 million. I figured he was just "TV show rich" with single digit million dollars. Nice cars.
      He's got restaurants all over, tv shows, his own line of cooking ware and etc...he has money.

    4. Member Harold's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2000
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      4,636
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      11-08-2019 04:34 AM #28
      I would probably lean towards older cars. Maybe some newish ones.

      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,410
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-08-2019 08:34 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I certainly don't have the mindset of someone with that kind of wealth, but I want no part of someone working full time for me to maintain my cars. Which is why I would never own enough cars to require that level of upkeep. Five cars would be enough to keep things interesting for me, but not require a full-time employee.
      Which is all well and good. But I certainly don't begrudge Jay for having $350M+ and being able to afford a big staff of FT people dedicated to managing his warehouse collection. And I don't get the idea that he's stressed one single bit about it.

      If you had that type pf $$ you wouldn't be stressed at all to have people do a lot of things in your life to free up your time for whatever you want. Home projects & upkeep, travel scheduling, landscape/yard work, shopping, managing personal/biz finances, etc. He has people for all that. So does everyone with that wealth.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 11-08-2019 at 09:27 AM.

    6. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,547
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-08-2019 09:58 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Which is all well and good. But I certainly don't begrudge Jay for having $350M+ and being able to afford a big staff of FT people dedicated to managing his warehouse collection. And I don't get the idea that he's stressed one single bit about it.

      If you had that type pf $$ you wouldn't be stressed at all to have people do a lot of things in your life to free up your time for whatever you want. Home projects & upkeep, travel scheduling, landscape/yard work, shopping, managing personal/biz finances, etc. He has people for all that. So does everyone with that wealth.
      The reality is that if I don't what I'd be comfortable or stressed with that kind of money, you certainly don't. Not everyone is the same or has the same comfort levels regardless of the size of their bank acct. If Jay and others are good with how they have things set up, more power to them. My response was for more of a judgement of myself living someone elses life---not a judgement of the actual people living that life. Obviously it works for them.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    7. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      11,796
      11-08-2019 10:07 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      And arent the Californias objectively excellent cars? I feel like they get crapped on because Ferrari targeted a different type of buyer.
      I think so, yes. Sadly, many Ferrari customers and many in the general public only see a Ferrari as a prominent display of wealth. Thus, if you can only afford the entry level Ferrari, you're somehow lesser than the guy who drives a 488 or a F12berlinetta, never mind the fact that most Californias/ Portofinos cost in the low $200s new. I would absolutely buy a 3 year old California on it with 1k miles for $145k if I could.

      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      And if you can afford that many californias, you can afford something much nicer from the brand. Personally, if I was going Ferrari, I would go F40 and one of their GT cars.
      Spoken like someone who doesn't have the money to buy all the Ferraris they wish without worry. Californias are very nice as-is. I really like the blend of comfort and performance. They make all the right noises, go plenty fast, look the part and make excellent GT cars in their own right. Not everyone wants a mid-engine race car for the street or a GT coupe that costs 2.5x as much as a new California/ Portofino and the roof doesn't even go down. To each his own.

    8. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,547
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-08-2019 10:17 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post


      Spoken like someone who doesn't have the money to buy all the Ferraris they wish without worry. Californias are very nice as-is. I really like the blend of comfort and performance. They make all the right noises, go plenty fast, look the part and make excellent GT cars in their own right. Not everyone wants a mid-engine race car for the street or a GT coupe that costs 2.5x as much as a new California/ Portofino and the roof doesn't even go down. To each his own.
      You must have not read my whole post or just got triggered and posted the words above. Yup, I can't afford a new ferrari. Nope, I have no desire to own one or be in a position to afford one. Literally no interest in owning even a 308. But you clearly missed the point where I noted that if you like the car for whatever reason, great, buy one. But multiple of the same? Silly. And yeah, I think it's silly to own multiples of any car at the same time. And it certainly wouldn't be a california.

      You want a half dozen californias? Have at it home slice.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,410
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-08-2019 10:19 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The reality is that if I don't what I'd be comfortable or stressed with that kind of money, you certainly don't. Not everyone is the same or has the same comfort levels regardless of the size of their bank acct. If Jay and others are good with how they have things set up, more power to them. My response was for more of a judgement of myself living someone elses life---not a judgement of the actual people living that life. Obviously it works for them.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      I hear ya and am looking at it purely from a time/stress perspective. It doesn't take him any more time or stress to worry about his 180 cars as I would with 5...because he passes that along to the dozen+ FTEs in the garage. And I don't even look at his collection as a personal collection, although he does own them. It's more of him being the owner/curator of a top 5 museum. His 100+ piece vintage mc collection alone is better than 99% of car/mc museums. He has the resources to take 6 months off and nothing degrades one bit in that place.

    10. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,547
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-08-2019 10:37 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      I hear ya and am looking at it purely from a time/stress perspective. It doesn't take him any more time or stress to worry about his 180 cars as I would with 5...because he passes that along to the dozen+ FTEs in the garage. And I don't even look at his collection as a personal collection, although he does own them. It's more of him being the owner/curator of a top 5 museum. His 100+ piece vintage mc collection alone is better than 99% of car/mc museums. He has the resources to take 6 months off and nothing degrades one bit in that place.
      That's the thing though, that sort of operation is a hungry machine that needs to be fed often and in large amounts. As far as I know Jay doesn't use his collection to bring in money so it can be self-sustaining. I would love to know if I'm wrong on that. Which to my limited understanding means that Jay is using his personal money to buy/sell and maintain the immense collection. Having that many cars, and so many of various levels of historic significance is fun I'm sure, but the liability is insane. The insurance costs alone have got to be immense. And all the car-specific stuff and the staff is certainly not cheap. If a building burns down, insurance may make him whole, but some of those cars may not be replaceable.

      I know he made a bazillion dollars on the tonight show, but he's been retired for some time. I'm sure he makes pocket change on his standup and various appearances, but I'm not aware of him making big money any longer. Jay is understandably quiet about his finances and what it takes to maintain his fleet, but yeah, I'd be curious to know how he's doing it. And given his collection, seems like he'd need enough liquid to pay for everything, so he can't just be wealthy on paper.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,050
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 10:39 AM #35
      It's a shame that one day isn't enough to give all those cars a proper work out, let alone really get the dynamics down of even just one of them. I also had no idea he was this wealthy, good for him.
      Instagram - efrie004

    12. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      11,796
      11-08-2019 10:39 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      You must have not read my whole post or just got triggered and posted the words above.
      I read your whole post. No I wasn't "triggered." What a loaded word choice. TCL is a discussion forum and I chose to respond. You were basically saying that someone who could afford to buy multiple Californias was making a poor choice in your view because they could just as easily afford "something nicer from the brand." I disagree with the sentiment that Californias aren't as nice as a 488 or F12 or any other Ferrari just because they cost less new. They're all super nice and any difference between them in terms of "niceness" is really splitting hairs.


      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yup, I can't afford a new ferrari. Nope, I have no desire to own one or be in a position to afford one. Literally no interest in owning even a 308. But you clearly missed the point where I noted that if you like the car for whatever reason, great, buy one. But multiple of the same? Silly. And yeah, I think it's silly to own multiples of any car at the same time. And it certainly wouldn't be a california.
      My point was you're thinking like the person of modest means that you are today. If you had hundreds of millions of dollars you might change your tune. Money absolutely changes most people to a degree whether they like to believe it or not. Hopefully it doesn't change you for the worse, but the history books are filled with cautionary tales of such happenings.


      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      You want a half dozen californias? Have at it home slice.
      I don't personally. I just don't see the need to judge others who do.

    13. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Munich, GER
      Posts
      31,651
      Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      11-08-2019 11:25 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post

      And for people like Ramsey who doesn't strike me as real car nuts (all those modern californias seems to support that assertion), what's the joy in owning all of those cars? Just to say he owns one?
      Surely it's not just owning the car but also the whole experience of being invited to buy one, being invited to events, etc. Feeling important, feeling like you're in the inner circle of the manufacturer. And if you choose not to buy one of their latest exclusive creations, you might risk dropping out of that circle.

    14. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,050
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 11:29 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Surely it's not just owning the car but also the whole experience of being invited to buy one, being invited to events, etc. Feeling important, feeling like you're in the inner circle of the manufacturer. And if you choose not to buy one of their latest exclusive creations, you might risk dropping out of that circle.
      I'm sure the boys club for LaFerrari owners is quite the circle to be included within. Also worth noting, that at a measly $220 million dollar net-worth, he's probably one of the poorer gentleman at the table.
      Instagram - efrie004

    15. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      32,155
      Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-08-2019 11:49 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      That's the thing though, that sort of operation is a hungry machine that needs to be fed often and in large amounts. As far as I know Jay doesn't use his collection to bring in money so it can be self-sustaining. I would love to know if I'm wrong on that. Which to my limited understanding means that Jay is using his personal money to buy/sell and maintain the immense collection. Having that many cars, and so many of various levels of historic significance is fun I'm sure, but the liability is insane. The insurance costs alone have got to be immense. And all the car-specific stuff and the staff is certainly not cheap. If a building burns down, insurance may make him whole, but some of those cars may not be replaceable.

      I know he made a bazillion dollars on the tonight show, but he's been retired for some time. I'm sure he makes pocket change on his standup and various appearances, but I'm not aware of him making big money any longer. Jay is understandably quiet about his finances and what it takes to maintain his fleet, but yeah, I'd be curious to know how he's doing it. And given his collection, seems like he'd need enough liquid to pay for everything, so he can't just be wealthy on paper.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

      Actually, Jay has made (and continues to make) a ton of money doing stand-up, He doesn't touch his Tonight Show money.

      Comedian and former host of NBC’s “The Tonight Show” Jay Leno .

      From the moment he entered the working world, “I always had two incomes,” he explains to CNBC. “I’d bank one and I’d spend one.”

      And he made sure to spend the smaller amount.

      “When I was younger, I would always save the money I made working at the car dealership and I would spend the money I made as a comedian,” he says. ”When I started to get a bit famous, the money I was making as a comedian was way more than the money I was making at the car dealership, so I would bank that and spend the car dealership money.”

      Leno continued relying on this strategy even after he started hosting “The Tonight Show” in 1992, even though he reportedly earned as much as $30 million a year at the height of his career.

      “When I got ‘The Tonight Show,’ I always made sure I did 150 [comedy show] gigs a year so I never had to touch the principal,” Leno says. “I’ve never touched a dime of my ‘Tonight Show’ money. Ever.”


      Leno, who now hosts CNBC’s “Jay Leno’s Garage,” says his conservative philosophy gives him financial peace of mind.

      ″So many people get to be the age I’m at now and they’ve got nothing because they just blew it all,” he says. “I put my money in a hammock and say, ‘You relax. I’m going to go work.’ And when I come back, I put some more money in the pile.

      “It sounds ridiculous, but if everything ends tomorrow, I know I’ll be fine.”
      My guess is that guys like Jay with these huge car collections find ways to make money with them. Maybe it's renting out cars to movies or art shows or whatever. Certainly he makes money from his Car TV Show. Dude his smart with his money, I strongly doubt the car collection, properties that house it, and staff that maintains it, are a pure sunk cost.

    16. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,050
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 12:28 PM #40
      That quote about Leno and his money is fantastic. I love reading stuff like that.
      Instagram - efrie004

    17. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,228
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 12:44 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That quote about Leno and his money is fantastic. I love reading stuff like that.
      I like reading it about guys like Rob Gronkowski who are in their early 30s and have (hopefully) a long life to live.

      But Leno? He's 69. He has no kids. His wife is give or take the same age he is Jay, at this point, what are you waiting for?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    18. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      32,155
      Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-08-2019 01:00 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I like reading it about guys like Rob Gronkowski who are in their early 30s and have (hopefully) a long life to live.

      But Leno? He's 69. He has no kids. His wife is give or take the same age he is Jay, at this point, what are you waiting for?
      yeah, Gronk has done the same thing, hasn't spent a dime of his NFL Salary.

      I think it's hard for us regular people to understand how much money a celebrity can make outside of the salary you might know them to earn.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2000
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,638
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      11-08-2019 01:20 PM #43
      A bunch of poor people express their opinions and dislikes how the rich should spend their $$... A norm in TCL.

      At least Gordon Ramsay use his skills (either cooking and/or financial) to accommodate so much wealth that he can buy all his toys...

      I also don't think Jay Leno's (or even Gordon Ramsay) team of mechanics/people only spending Jay Leno (or Gordon) money just for "looking after his toys". I am pretty sure Jay Leno's "garage" is a business as well.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

    20. Member simple's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2001
      Location
      Golden, CO
      Posts
      4,217
      Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      11-08-2019 01:24 PM #44
      How do Brits have car collections and avoid paying taxes? Do they have their own Montana or Delaware tax hideouts? Genuinely curious.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

      As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      10,410
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-08-2019 01:42 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm sure he makes pocket change on his standup and various appearances, but I'm not aware of him making big money any longer.
      He makes many millions a year just doing private, corp gigs and that's on top of his normal stand up stuff he does in clubs. 2 hrs doing a private retreat for a bunch of wealthy guys gets him an easy $200-300k, and he's been known to do 2 of those a weekend for 40 weekends a year. There 2-3 agency sites where you can book him now for a min $150K. He has said that even today he lives of his current earnings, he doesn't take vacations, never been divorced and only has one vice...

    22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,050
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-08-2019 01:53 PM #46
      Every time I see the title to this thread I think it's about Dave Ramsey, and it makes me laugh. Thinking of him with millions of dollars worth of cars is hilarious to me.
      Instagram - efrie004

    23. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      40,208
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-08-2019 02:02 PM #47
      Wait are peopling actually ****ting on Leno?

    24. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,228
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      11-08-2019 02:52 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Wait are peopling actually ****ting on Leno?
      Who is ****ting on Leno? I don't think so, just some people have said they don't want to have a huge garage, a zillion cars, and a full staff like he does. I kinda think I don't either. My fantasies top out at like 5-6 enthusiast cars and a couple daily drivers. No criticism of Jay, just no desire to do the same thing. Maybe with Leno money I'd change my mind though, I dunno. Entirely possible he woke up one morning and said "uhh whoops, that got out of hand..."
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2003
      Location
      Westlake, Oh
      Posts
      2,721
      Vehicles
      '15 Tesla Model S 85D, '19 Chrysler Pacifica
      11-08-2019 04:12 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      I have no shame in the fact that I giggle like an idiot at that commercial.
      It's so god damn stupid but I agree.

    26. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,547
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-08-2019 05:23 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      He makes many millions a year just doing private, corp gigs and that's on top of his normal stand up stuff he does in clubs. 2 hrs doing a private retreat for a bunch of wealthy guys gets him an easy $200-300k, and he's been known to do 2 of those a weekend for 40 weekends a year. There 2-3 agency sites where you can book him now for a min $150K. He has said that even today he lives of his current earnings, he doesn't take vacations, never been divorced and only has one vice...
      Ah, interesting! I did not know all of this.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •