VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge to TCL

Vehicles
      ‘16 GTI
      11-08-2019 06:41 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I'm still mad they're sticking with the stupid 2 doors on one side and one door on the other bull****. I'd like it so much more if it was a 3 door or 5 door.
      ^ this, so much.
      SE 6MT PP LP and DCC | CSS Muffler | Folding Mirrors | Konig Ampliform 18x8.5 | MPS4S 245/40-18 | 034 Insert | Dutch Parts Splitter | MK7.5 LED Tails

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      11-08-2019 06:43 PM #27
      I'm just sick of their weird Korean rap advertising interrupting my YouTube binges.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-09-2019 11:37 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      I'm just sick of their weird Korean rap advertising interrupting my YouTube binges.
      Weird.
      I haven't seen a Hyundai commercial online in forever.
      It may be tied to what your googling.
      Wait.. Canadian.
      They know you are cheap and all cars regardless of quality dissolve in a decade.. so there is that.

But seriously, this Veloster N driving goodness really caught me by surprise.
      Granted, I haven't been reading everything related as all the Korean brands' four cylinder turbo vehicles previously just seem like a power bump without being a more serious driving performance package.
      I just hope that this car sells well because.. well.. then other brands might realize having a product in that niche is actually a good thing (from a youth marketing standpoint).
      But I doubt it will sell any better than other mainstream 30+k hatchbacks.

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 12:14 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Weird.
      I haven't seen a Hyundai commercial online in forever.
      The last couple of weeks i've had videos interrupted by several of the videos from the Veloster N youtube channel from Hyundai, "Peaches" series. But they've all been out of sequence and somehow make up a short story of some white dude trying to learn to track an N? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG...HxoqftxHTCEsqg
      Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 11-09-2019 at 12:20 PM.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      11-09-2019 12:51 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      ^ this, so much.
      Yeah, it's entirely possible that we'd own an i30N if they offered it here instead of the german POS I bought instead. With a family of four it just didn't make sense.

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      11-09-2019 02:57 PM #31
      2 pages and no Ban Hawk?

Vehicles
      2018 M3, 1998 M3 Convertible, 2009 GTI
      11-09-2019 03:48 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Yeah, it's entirely possible that we'd own an i30N if they offered it here instead of the german POS I bought instead. With a family of four it just didn't make sense.
      off topic, but, are you done with the 135i? If you are, PM me and we can talk about it.

Vehicles
      Econoboxes
      11-09-2019 04:59 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I'm still mad they're sticking with the stupid 2 doors on one side and one door on the other bull****. I'd like it so much more if it was a 3 door or 5 door.
      What's even more maddening about this is that they make them for LHD and RHD markets. So not only is it stupid but its harder for them to build because they have to produce 2 different shells.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-09-2019 05:01 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      What's even more maddening about this is that they make them for LHD and RHD markets. So not only is it stupid but its harder for them to build because they have to produce 2 different shells.
      Since they already had the four door Accent, they probably needed to do something different to make it seem like a completely different model (and thus not competing with own model).
      Brands are weird about supposed cannibalization of existing model sales.

Vehicles
      Econoboxes
      11-09-2019 05:09 PM #35
      Since they already had the four door Accent, they probably needed to do something different to make it seem like a completely different model (and thus not competing with own model).
      Brands are weird about supposed cannibalization of existing model sales.
      Fair enough. Maybe if the Veloster sticks around for another generation we'll get a five door since the Venue is killing off the 5 door accent, correct?

Vehicles
      11-09-2019 05:09 PM #36
      For Hawk:

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      11-09-2019 05:35 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      off topic, but, are you done with the 135i? If you are, PM me and we can talk about it.
      not done, but as I'm still battling fuel system issues I do occasionally look longingly at what could have been (namely a 10 year powertrain warranty )

Vehicles
      2018 M3, 1998 M3 Convertible, 2009 GTI
      11-09-2019 05:48 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      not done, but as I'm still battling fuel system issues I do occasionally look longingly at what could have been (namely a 10 year powertrain warranty )
      It's never too late to get that 10 year warranty

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat
      11-09-2019 10:19 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      The last couple of weeks i've had videos interrupted by several of the videos from the Veloster N youtube channel from Hyundai, "Peaches" series. But they've all been out of sequence and somehow make up a short story of some white dude trying to learn to track an N? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG...HxoqftxHTCEsqg
      That's not the teaches of Peaches I remember. Disappointed.

An N is near the top of my list for potential FiST replacements, for what that's worth. It looks cool and I'm glad somebody is still making a juvenile hot hatch.
      "Who told you that there is no true, faithful, eternal love in this world?! May the liar's vile tongue be cut out!"

16. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      11-10-2019 12:08 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      How do you keep from vomiting uncontrollably as you walk up to it? Blinders? Night drives only?

It might do some things well but it's ugly.

Vehicles
      PG MKIV GLI
      11-10-2019 12:39 AM #41
      A great disappointment was seeing that car "top" the list. Given the competition, it's shameful. No doubt it's a fun car to drive, I expect, but performance car of the year?

18. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-10-2019 10:24 AM #42
      Two things I like about it:

-3 doors. nobody truly wants a 4dr hot hatch, stop lying to yourselves.
      -I really dig the blue color I see on them, despite the gross contrasting red accents
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Mazda 2
      11-10-2019 11:59 AM #43
      I haven't driven the N, but I did drive the Turbo Ultimate when it first came out with the new model. I actually enjoyed that one more than I thought I would, and told the salesperson that I really was waiting on the N. I went to look at an Elantra GT N-Line a little while back, since it's a bit nicer inside and would be better suited for the kids in the back. I expected it to be about as good as the Veloster. Nope. Despite being similar, the car just didn't do it for me. I can totally believe that I'd love the N.

20. 11-10-2019 12:03 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Rattle View Post
      That's not the teaches of Peaches I remember. Disappointed.

An N is near the top of my list for potential FiST replacements, for what that's worth. It looks cool and I'm glad somebody is still making a juvenile hot hatch.
      Agree with this. I'll keep my FiST for as long as it rolls, but if I had to replace it's driving feel today, this N would get a test drive.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      11-10-2019 12:16 PM #45
      Challenge accepted, I bought one. Commence picture whoring:

Quote Originally Posted by VRado6 View Post
      I've driven one and I was quite impressed with how it drove. Steering felt great and really tight, the car would rotate when you wanted it to., the shifter was nice and precise, the engine and exhaust sounded great. I know the styling is subjective, but I thought it looked really good in person, especially the rear diffuser and exhaust. I WANTED to love it, but as silly as it sounds, I couldn't get over the low-rent interior. If it was simply going to be a toy/track car I wouldn't care, but I spend a lot of time in my car and do a a few big road trips every year and having a nice-ish interior is a big deal to me. I've got zero problems with the layout, it's all functional, it's the materials that are terrible. There are zero soft touch surfaces in the car aside from the leather wrapped wheel and shift knob. Everything you can touch is cheap, hard, shiny plastic. Even the cloth on the seats was cheap looking and feeling. I went in with the car pretty high on my list and would have strongly considered it if the deal was right, but the interior just turned me off. Dynamically it was everything I had hoped for, but as much as I wanted to get over it I couldn't live with that interior on a daily basis.
      If I didn't have our wagon for long trips and my commute was still what it used to be, this would not be the car for me. The interior is definitely a downside, the fit is fine but the material selection is very meh. At least with my current driving and the fact that I bought this car to handle daily driver/autox/hpde duties, it's easy to look past the interior 90% of the time.

If I was still doing my daily 84-mile roundtrip commute, this car would suck.

Did you accidentally post here instead of a Civic Type R thread?
      The HVN is quite tame by comparison.
      With the same driver, the VN is barely slower than the CTR and costs considerably less and has a better warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      It looks super fun with the perf pack/LSD -- but I don't particularly care for the styling, I don't think it will hold up for 10+ years like a Type R will and the suspension looks a little too firm/jittery/bouncy for the type of roads we have here.

With the suspension in normal mode, the VN doesn't ride any rougher than a GTI. With the entire car in normal mode, it rides almost as nice as our golf sportwagen does around DFW. The GSW actually crashes over road imperfections a little more. The damping on this car is really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
      A great disappointment was seeing that car "top" the list. Given the competition, it's shameful. No doubt it's a fun car to drive, I expect, but performance car of the year?
      PCOTY has never been about sheer power or driving prowess, it is always about how fun the car is and capable on or off track. The VN has been the easiest car I have ever tracked as far as maintenance and prep goes, it absolutely loves doing laps, and then I can load it all up and drive it comfortably home after.

Quote Originally Posted by N2OInferno View Post
      I haven't driven the N, but I did drive the Turbo Ultimate when it first came out with the new model. I actually enjoyed that one more than I thought I would, and told the salesperson that I really was waiting on the N. I went to look at an Elantra GT N-Line a little while back, since it's a bit nicer inside and would be better suited for the kids in the back. I expected it to be about as good as the Veloster. Nope. Despite being similar, the car just didn't do it for me. I can totally believe that I'd love the N.
      It's a very lovable car and has gobs of character, there is a huge difference between the compliant and quiet normal mode and the monster the car becomes in N mode.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

22. 11-10-2019 11:50 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      Challenge accepted, I bought one.
      Because of PCOTY?

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      11-11-2019 12:11 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Because of PCOTY?
      Nah, I've had it almost two months. It was this or Golf R, this was more fun. Just got this shot from last sunday:

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      11-11-2019 12:25 AM #48
      Li'l tripod!
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

11-11-2019 12:32 AM #49
      fwd lol

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      11-11-2019 12:38 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Niceguy View Post
      fwd lol
      No more Mr Niceguy.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast