Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Denver winter tire question

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      11-08-2019 04:24 PM #1
      Son is moving to Denver in a few weeks from Minneapolis

Drives a 2014 Jetta on all season tires. Plans to do at least some snowboarding on weekends. Plans to live south of downtown (S. Broadway)

I am planning to give him a set of winter tires as an early Xmas present

Not knowing what a "typical" Denver winter is like 'burbs vs. driving up to ski areas (other than much dryer air and prob. more sun vs. MSP)....do the standard choices of Michelin XIce and Blizzaks fit the bill?

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      11-08-2019 04:40 PM #2
      Really great question!

Living in Denver area and just driving up to the mountains to recreate means that a nice all rounder snow tire is recommended. I prefer Michelin X-Ice

I don't recommend Blizzacks here as they are pretty aggressive, soft, and don't last many years. The Michelins drive nicely, are quiet, and last several winters. Some people like to go all out and get HAKKAPELIITTA but I find them to be too expensive. Michelins from Costco FTW

If he lived in the mountains full time the Blizzack or even studded snows are the way to go. The ice doesn't melt in some mountain towns. Snow doesn't stick around very long in the Denver area.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      11-08-2019 04:47 PM #3
      I'd do a bit of research depending on where he lives down there. I'd overall recommend a full snow tire, they get quite a bit of it. The mountain passes might require chains depending. A select number of roads are AWD/4wd only but that's off the beaten path in the mountains.

I'd also put the snow tires on IN Colorado. Save a few thousand miles of highway driving.

I really liked my General Snow tires (Articmax? I think).

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5
      11-08-2019 04:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      The mountain passes might require chains depending.
      Not for passenger vehicles.

We do have new regulation for tread depth over mountain passes in the winter. Not gonna post the details as it gets confusing but we have lots of problems with people causing accidents because of nearly bald tires in the snow. The cops enforce proper tires and depth on critical roads.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

6. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      11-08-2019 05:11 PM #5
      I've tried loads and loads of winter tires, Nokian Hakka, studded Continentals, Kumho, Pirelli, Blizzaks, Goodyear Nordic, Yoko Iceguard, Dunlop Graspic, Toyo GSI5, etc. My favorite winter tire by FAR is the Michelin Xi3.

Not because they are the best in hardcore winter conditions. They aren't as aggressive as some more serious snowshoes like a Blizzak or Toyo GSI5 in deep snow and slush, but they're absolutely shine on light or packed snow, glare ice, and unlike most other winter tires, they are the absolute business on bare pavement whre most of us drive 95% of the time. They don't have the ''winter tire compromise'' they ride smooth as silk, they don't squirm, they are quiet and handle like an all-season, and they are very durable.

Vehicles
      11-08-2019 05:15 PM #6
      All great comments and very helpful.

I was already leaning towards the Michelins based on Blizzak wear concerns

Agree on waiting until CO to save on wear...he drives out there in 2 weeks

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

8. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      11-08-2019 05:16 PM #7
      Could an All-Weather tire like the Michelin CrossClimate+ or Vredestein Quatrac Pro work for you?

I've been doing the biannual summer/winter tire swap for a decade now, and if I'm honest I really would be fine with All Weathers that have the mountain snowflake but aren't super snow/ice oriented.

Vehicles
      11-08-2019 05:17 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      I'd also put the snow tires on IN Colorado. Save a few thousand miles of highway driving.
      (Articmax? I think).
      Along those lines - any recommended tire shops on the south side of Denver?

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Vehicles
      11-08-2019 05:20 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Could an All-Weather tire like the Michelin CrossClimate+ or Vredestein Quatrac Pro work for you?

I've been doing the biannual summer/winter tire swap for a decade now, and if I'm honest I really would be fine with All Weathers that have the mountain snowflake but aren't super snow/ice oriented.
      If he was staying in the Denver burbs - maybe, but I assume driving into the mountains is probably a different story (plus some of the driving restrictions mentioned above in poor conditions that are apparently enforced if you don't have the proper tires)

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      11-08-2019 05:21 PM #10
      I just ordered a set of Nokian WR G4's through Discount Tire and am having them installed Monday. I didn't want dedicated snow tires but I also know that most all seasons are really just 3 season tires when it comes to the snow and cold that we have in MN. I'm hoping that these Nokian's end up being the perfect mix.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/

Vehicles
      11-08-2019 05:22 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      I just ordered a set of Nokian WR G4's through Discount Tire and am having them installed Monday. I didn't want dedicated snow tires but I also know that most all seasons are really just 3 season tires when it comes to the snow and cold that we have in MN. I'm hoping that these Nokian's end up being the perfect mix.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/
      Those are really good tires - I had WRG3s on my Golf R for the last few years. For general suburban and plowed road - definitely recommend them

I just replaced them with a new set of Hakkepelita R3s due to frequent dirt road and mountain driving during winter....we'll see how they compare

I think the Michelins are a reasonable compromise for my son
      Last edited by Lujess; 11-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG