Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is your Jetta in Cooler weather

Vehicles
      2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen SE
      Yesterday 08:31 PM #26
      Your thermostat is stuck open. Classic symptoms.

So you're north of Utquiagvik? Not many towns north of that, but you're obviously in Canada.

I use the foam pipe insulation on my grille in winter. It makes a big difference in warm up time and in fuel economy on my diesel. Not sure how much it would help with that on a gasoline [benzine] engine. Can't hurt if the engine is not getting up to operating temp.
      "It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
      Oscar Wild

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      Yesterday 08:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by blkjak View Post
      I will try to be brief. Basically my 2019 Jetta (1.4, Auto) is very very slow to reach operating temp. I have a 20 KM jaunt in the morning to work and it does not reach operating temp. When I am stopped at a light you can even see the temp gauge start to drop. The dealer ship has replaced the coolant sensor and the thermostat.....same thing. I mean we are not talking Severe Cold temp here +5 to -2 Celsius. The only way I can get it to operating temp is if the car is driven.....turned off for say an hour then driven or when I go on a full blown highway jaunt. I dont think the dealer has a clue. I have had it back twice. Basically here is what I found online which appears to have happened to another Jetta Owner. So not promising

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/j...2181862219776/

Oh and on a side note I have Darth Vader in my Tranny as well (I did not even mention that to the Dealer, they so far have not been able to fix my heat or lack there of)

Thanks all.
      Is this your first VW? Because it has happened on every single VW I have ever owned

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      DO YOU SPEAK DAS AUTO?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta 6MT, 1989 Mercedes 560SL
      Yesterday 09:01 PM #28
      My Jetta 1.4T does this as well. I just noticed it again when I was leaving Montreal to return to Pennsylvania. In Montreal, at -5° C, it took about 10 km for the engine to get hot but I was also running it in a lower gear than typical as traffic to get from the business district to autoroute 15 was all sorts of odd and I got lazy with shifting. In winter traffic in Philadelphia, I have seen the engine lose coolant temp while idling as well but only when its below freezing outside. There is no flow from the engine to the radiator when the engine is cold so I do not suspect a thermostat issue.

I do blast my fan on recirc when it's cold out. As a result, on some days, my oil temp starts registering before my coolant comes up to temp.

Also I can confirm that the 1.4T is aluminum block and head
      Current Fleet:
      2019 VW Jetta 1.4T 6MT (Jellybean) - 20602 miles
      1989 Mercedes 560SL - 95226 miles (and getting a replacement engine)

5. Yesterday 09:01 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Greasymechtech View Post
      Use ethanol free fuel if available. It has more BTUs.
      Use regular fuel since premium higher octanes have less BTUs.

Youtube a video of your problem for us to see if its a problem.

Use the recirculation option for the HVAC. Don't run the fans on high.

Load the engine... use the radio, and keep using the rear defroster running...

Which thermostat and which sensor? Post PN of parts replaced or image of receipt.
      Using low octane fuel in any turbo engine is asking for trouble. It burns too fast, and you [I]will[I] run the very real risk of having a piston drop the skirt & bottom rings (a regular problem with 1.4TSi engines, in particular). Bottom line: never use a lower octane rated fuel than the manufacturer specifies. They do it for a reason. Dealerships are just part changers, factory engineers are something else.
      Something worth looking into would be the temp range of the thermostat: if it's for a hotter clime, it will be opening too early. Find a local radiator repair shop, and get theiur advice.

6. Yesterday 09:05 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by blkjak View Post
      I will try to be brief. Basically my 2019 Jetta (1.4, Auto) is very very slow to reach operating temp. I have a 20 KM jaunt in the morning to work and it does not reach operating temp. When I am stopped at a light you can even see the temp gauge start to drop. The dealer ship has replaced the coolant sensor and the thermostat.....same thing. I mean we are not talking Severe Cold temp here +5 to -2 Celsius. The only way I can get it to operating temp is if the car is driven.....turned off for say an hour then driven or when I go on a full blown highway jaunt. I dont think the dealer has a clue. I have had it back twice. Basically here is what I found online which appears to have happened to another Jetta Owner. So not promising

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/j...2181862219776/

Oh and on a side note I have Darth Vader in my Tranny as well (I did not even mention that to the Dealer, they so far have not been able to fix my heat or lack there of)

Thanks all.
      Using low octane fuel in any turbo engine is asking for trouble. It burns too fast, and you [I]will[I] run the very real risk of having a piston drop the skirt & bottom rings (a regular problem with 1.4TSi engines, in particular). Bottom line: never use a lower octane rated fuel than the manufacturer specifies. They do it for a reason. Dealerships are just part changers, factory engineers are something else.
      Something worth looking into would be the temp range of the thermostat: if it's for a hotter clime, it will be opening too early. Find a local radiator repair shop, and get their advice.
      And get some advice on the transmission nose also. If you don't find and fix the problem while it's young, you may well end up sitting on the side of the road watching the tow truck taking your car away.

Vehicles
      VWs, plenty of 'em
      Yesterday 09:07 PM #31
      2019 S owner here. I live in Amarillo where the temps have been nice and cold lately (5F the other night). My car heats up rather quickly, so yours is definitely not right.

The dealer suggestion to rev the engine is ridiculous.

It is highly possible the radiator slats (active grille) are stuck open, especially if some water made its way in and froze (and has stayed frozen ).

The slats close until the car is at optimum temperature, then open up/modulate to maintain that temperature.

Check that.

You may also want to check that your radiator fan motor isn't constantly running.

Good luck!

-p

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SE 4Motion, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 1999 Jetta
      Yesterday 09:29 PM #32
      The “small aluminum engine” argument is utter bull. Very simple math here, a smaller engine in a vehicle of equal mass needs to “work harder” than a larger engine would to bring the vehicle to the same speed. This “working harder” generates more heat that will be rejected to the cooling system. Regardless of the block material the cylinder liners will still be one flavor or another of steel. Most of the heat transfer is taking place around the cylinders and in the head. The head of just about any light duty engine made in the last 20 years is going to be aluminum, removing that material difference from the comparison to other engines. The material of the block will NOT make a significant enough difference in temperature delta to be perceptible to any human via the gauge displayed on the dash.

EVERY vehicle manufacturer tests their vehicles to -40°C/F before they go to production. I work for one, and I can tell you that we see every brand out testing on the same roads we are in extreme conditions in the peaks of summer and winter. They must meet emissions at -40° within a relatively short period of time after engine start. The cooling system is designed to accommodate these temperatures for normal vehicle operation. The ambient temps you describe are way warmer than you should start to see these sorts of issues.

There is absolutely something wrong with this engine/cooling system. It should be repaired at the dealership. Since it has been in twice with no resolution they will need to be involving their regional service manager and VWoA/C. Insist that they do so, their service engineers and advanced diagnostics teams will get involved and find the problem ASAP. Is there a different dealer you trust more you can take it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Yesterday 10:02 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
      Just an un-fortunate side affect of a tiny engine. My past vehicle (Cruze with 1.4t) was exactly the same way. In fact if it was below freezing the car would actually lose heat all together if it was just sitting and idling. I was able to improve it slightly by blocking off the grill with a piece of scrap plastic, maybe you could do something similar.

Nonsense. The smaller the engine, the hotter it gets trying to move the car. Never has a small engine produced insufficient heat.
      Whenever there is not enough heat, it is always excessive cooling, like the thermostat staying open or the fans being on all the time.

10. Yesterday 10:05 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Cabral View Post
      My Jetta 1.4T does this as well. I just noticed it again when I was leaving Montreal to return to Pennsylvania. In Montreal, at -5° C, it took about 10 km for the engine to get hot but I was also running it in a lower gear than typical as traffic to get from the business district to autoroute 15 was all sorts of odd and I got lazy with shifting. In winter traffic in Philadelphia, I have seen the engine lose coolant temp while idling as well but only when its below freezing outside. There is no flow from the engine to the radiator when the engine is cold so I do not suspect a thermostat issue.

I do blast my fan on recirc when it's cold out. As a result, on some days, my oil temp starts registering before my coolant comes up to temp.

Also I can confirm that the 1.4T is aluminum block and head
      Since there should be no cooling when stopped, if the gauge drops when stopped, then clearly the electric fans are on excessively.
      They unplugging them for a short test.

And YES it could be a thermostat problem as well.
      It is only the thermostat that stops flow to the engine when cold, nothing else, so the thermostat could easily be stuck open.

11. Yesterday 10:10 PM #35
      Manually check the temperature of the hoses by hand or with thermometer.
      A cold engine is not at all normal or good for the engine.
      Either the fans are on all the time or the thermostat is stuck open.
      You can feel if the heat is the same before and after thermostat, and you can unplug fans for a short test.
      Thermostats installed backwards will open all the time.

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Eos 2.0T Salsa Red
      Yesterday 11:18 PM #36
      The most plausible cause is that the radiator cooling fans are always on. Watch their operation when you start the car. They should come on when the car is warm. I haven't run across any radiator shutters. Another reason may be a bad batch of VW thermostats. You can test it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens from a closed (cool) position, or purchase a different brand stat and test them together. I hope that this helps.

Vehicles
      2019 Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT
      Yesterday 11:28 PM #37
      While I don't have a 1.4T Jetta, I have found that my Mk6 GTI and Mk7.5 Golf Sportwagen 4Mo have similar issues. In fact I have noted that when I leave work, sometimes I can see the temperature gauge dropping when I have the heat on sitting at a stop light when it's not fully warmed up. I suspect it's normal given the 2.0T EA888 Gen 2 and 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 engines I've had both do this. Worth noting in the case of the GTI I was living in New Hampshire where it was regularly 0F and colder...markedly colder than where I live now in Denver where its normally 15-20F unless we're breaking records.
      Last edited by sk1fast; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
      "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
      Professional ski bum and teacher, lover of all wagon-kind

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      03 W8 Wagon, 67 13 window, 03 GLX Wagon
      Today 12:41 AM #38
      Take the car back to the dealership and demand that they fix it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12