VWVortex.com - Need suspension help in Charlotte, NC.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need suspension help in Charlotte, NC.

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburg
      11-13-2019 04:00 PM #1
      So I got myself into a bind. Recently met up with an old friend who I knew from my Honda days. Mentioned I was going to install coilovers. He said he'd help. Awesome. Got the rears on no problem, had an emergency at work and he said he would finish up the fronts.

Bad idea.

I got home late last night, and the front was looking pretty slammed. Too tired I'll check on it in the AM.

Low and behold, they're installed into the knuckle and sticking up into the bay with no attachment to the cup. By the looks of them, they haven't been torqued down. Undriveable and pissed. I have a very serious fear of compressed springs after Massa's incident in 2009... I know, I know.

Sooooo.... anyone in Charlotte willing to help me get these on? I have the torque wrench, the strut socket, allen wrench.. but no methods to compress (uggghhh) and torque to 44lbs. These are just temporary cheap coilovers until aft. xmas, but sorta need them as the stock suspension is blown.

I'm live in Elizabeth, right off of 7th. If you can help me out, please PM me.

And yes. I am very aware that I'm an idiot. A huge ****ing idiot.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MK6 GLI
      11-13-2019 04:05 PM #2
      I’m far from Charlotte but might be able to give you a few pointers to fix it yourself...can you add a pic showing the cup area? Not sure of what you mean what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 GLI Silver White | Solo-werks S1 coilovers | APR Stage2 | Neuspeed RSe10 19" Rims | AWE Touring Catback Exhaust |CTS Catted DP | Carbonio Intake | Fluidampr

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburg
      11-13-2019 06:51 PM #3
      So, kids.... don't take cold meds and type or try to think.

I work for a rather large community college with an automotive program. Tomorrow I'll take them in and use the compressor there. Why didn't I think of this in the first place.

I wish I had taken a picture before I took them off. Basically, my "friend" didn't torque the shocks down at all, let alone compress the springs. Just attached them to the pinch bolt and ran them up into the strut tower with only the strut mount screwed on. So if you looked in the bay, you only saw the the head of the shock. Basically, if one of the front tyres unloaded, the coilover would have fallen back into the wheel well.

Just got a VM from my "friend" who went on to explain that he went home to get his compressors and fell asleep. He was going to finish the job when he got off work today. In the dark. No need to leave a note or anything, or text, or send a pigeon. I don't think this friendship will rekindle. I need to meet more VW people in this city.

Thanks for reaching out cuco_GLI! I'm going to leave this thread up as a reminder to not do over the counter cold meds and attempt to post about car maintenance, let alone try to do it, and on top of that with a long lost "friend".

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      MK6 GLI
      11-13-2019 10:11 PM #4
      Glad you have it figured...the only thing that comes to mind is that coilovers are generally shorter than stock shocks, I’ve never had to use a spring compressor to install the cup/ bearing assembly on the coilover top, it’s usually enough to push the whole thing just a bit to be able to hand tighten the cup and then torque it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 GLI Silver White | Solo-werks S1 coilovers | APR Stage2 | Neuspeed RSe10 19" Rims | AWE Touring Catback Exhaust |CTS Catted DP | Carbonio Intake | Fluidampr