VWVortex.com - I bought a... wagon? CUV?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a... wagon? CUV?

Vehicles
      Perpetual QX60 loaner, theoretical lifted G37 wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      11-18-2019 03:05 PM #1
      I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but after the dealer tricked me into it with a weekend-long test drive, I bought it. All I know is that it's the closest that I could come to a new (ish) G37 that has room for a dog in the trunk and two child seats in the back seat. I looked at lots of things from CX-5s (almost bought one) to GS350s to Mazda6 2.5ts to Accord 2.0t 6-speeds, and none of them did it for me. Nothing made me want to get rid of my G35S. This one looks about the same inside (even though it's 9 years newer... funny joke, Infiniti) and has a very similar driving dynamic to that car, which did the trick. It was also priced reasonably and the dealer didn't offer me a terrible trade in on my old car. I decided to pay the grand or a little more that I could have made on CL to not have to deal with CL.

I'm a little bummed to lose adaptive cruise control and a HDD to rip CDs to (seriously, it was useful), but happy to gain 105k less miles, 3 years of powertrain warranty, CPO coverage, more MPGs (24 around town, 29 on the highway... seems high to me), and a surprisingly neat 360 degree camera. It still has adaptive HIDs and a nice stereo, which is good. I might have to add paddle shifters, though that might not jive with the CPO warranty. On that note, they really improved the 7-speed programming vs. the last G37S that I drove. It's quick, locks up early, and is smooth. I don't recall that being the case in the G37.

I think the G35 was mad at me though. As I was getting it ready to trade in, the hood fell on my head. Whoever wins it at the auction: it needs some new hood struts.
      Last edited by Samson; 11-18-2019 at 03:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      11-18-2019 03:11 PM #2
      Congrats Samson. Seems like it was a long time coming

We have a new CUV coming our way soon as well...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Carpooling with the Old Lady
      11-18-2019 03:26 PM #3
      I always liked these. What's not to love about a tall hatchback version of a Z?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      11-18-2019 03:27 PM #4
      go with what you know.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-18-2019 03:37 PM #5
      What was the conclusion for the speed dependent drivetrain whine? That's most likely a bearing on it's way out somewhere, either the rear diff or the output shaft on the trans...

Vehicles
      11-18-2019 03:48 PM #6
      Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      We have a new CUV coming our way soon as well...
      What are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      What was the conclusion for the speed dependent drivetrain whine? That's most likely a bearing on it's way out somewhere, either the rear diff or the output shaft on the trans...
      They're guessing a tire balance issue. It's too rainy to hear it right now. I have to go back to get some little things fixed, so they'll look at it then. "Whine" was an inaccurate descriptor on my part. More like very slightly out of balance tire noise. Not a warble, but constant light groan. Throttle application may be irrelevant, as the not-silent VQ could potentially be overpowering the noise even while cruising. Whatever it is, I have a warranty. I haven't had one of those in forever.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-18-2019 03:49 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      They're guessing a tire balance issue. It's too rainy to hear it right now. I have to go back to get some little things fixed, so they'll look at it then. "Whine" was an inaccurate descriptor on my part. More like very slightly out of balance tire noise. Not a warble, but constant light groan. Throttle application may be irrelevant, as the not-silent VQ could potentially be overpowering the noise even while cruising. Whatever it is, I have a warranty. I haven't had one of those in forever.
      AH! I had only skimmed that thread so I'm glad it's looking to be something simple. Tires can make such a huge difference in NVH.

9. 11-18-2019 03:53 PM #8
      just own up to it: you bought a station wagon.

Color me confused: NINE YEARS newer and it LACKS the adaptive cruise that you had on your older one???? How can that be?

Vehicles
      11-18-2019 04:02 PM #9
      AH! I had only skimmed that thread so I'm glad it's looking to be something simple. Tires can make such a huge difference in NVH.
      Yep, hopefully it's tires. They are on the large side (245/45 19) and they just installed them, so maybe they need road force or something.

Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      just own up to it: you bought a station wagon.

Color me confused: NINE YEARS newer and it LACKS the adaptive cruise that you had on your older one???? How can that be?
      Heh, I have no problem with a wagon. My G35 had the tech package (adaptive cruise, headlights, etc.) and this one lacks the tech package. It was an option bundled with lane keep, auto braking, blind spot, and stuff like that. Would have been nice, maybe, but not a requirement. Plus, while it's easy, I sometimes found adaptive cruise to be annoying.

11-18-2019 04:07 PM #10
      Yep, hopefully it's tires. They are on the large side (245/45 19) and they just installed them, so maybe they need road force or something.

Heh, I have no problem with a wagon. My G35 had the tech package (adaptive cruise, headlights, etc.) and this one lacks the tech package. It was an option bundled with lane keep, auto braking, blind spot, and stuff like that. Would have been nice, maybe, but not a requirement. Plus, while it's easy, I sometimes found adaptive cruise to be annoying.
      Having had that adaptive cruise on my M45, I could honestly take it or leave it. It was more gimicky than useful to me. On another note, congrats? These represent a decent value and I think they're pretty cool.

Chris
      | 17 Elantra | 18 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 91 Dynasty | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      11-18-2019 04:08 PM #11
      Its just a reminder that he needs to get a limited slip differential on there.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      11-18-2019 04:39 PM #12
      Yay! Congrats for the search being over, yet winding up in a familiar place. Finding the tech package in one of these is a PITA, so its totally understandable that you skipped it.

(On a selfish note, I'm also happy that I was the one suggested the EX. All of those years testing and recommending cars weren't for naught. I'm running 2 for 2 this month; my parent's new-to-them 17 Outback, and this.

Tom

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      11-18-2019 05:17 PM #13
      Thanks.

What are you looking at?
      2019 Audi Q5

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      11-18-2019 06:05 PM #14
      Very cool, and you now have the better-looking version of the Mustang Mach-E (ugh)

11-18-2019 06:15 PM #15
      Awesome. Infiniti really could've done more with this car, shame they didn't do a true follow up. Is this a 2016+ extended wheelbase version? They should've had that available from the start.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Infiniti QX50, 2018 VW Golf R, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      11-18-2019 06:24 PM #16
      congrats! I have a soft spot for this car and really considered buying one CPO before ultimately deciding to lease the 2019. Also, your MPG are waaaay off. I think you are quoting the numbers for the current gen QX50 with the 2.0T, not the previous gen with the VQ37. Here are the actual mpg numbers:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...iti_QX50.shtml
      Past: 2000 Infiniti I30, 2003 Infiniti G35, 2002 Mazda Tribute, 2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 2015 BMW X1

Vehicles
      11-18-2019 06:38 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Its just a reminder that he needs to get a limited slip differential on there.
      Ha. You buying?

Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Yay! Congrats for the search being over, yet winding up in a familiar place. Finding the tech package in one of these is a PITA, so its totally understandable that you skipped it.

(On a selfish note, I'm also happy that I was the one suggested the EX. All of those years testing and recommending cars weren't for naught. I'm running 2 for 2 this month; my parent's new-to-them 17 Outback, and this.

Tom
      Heh, yeah... I've watched more than a few CR reviews in the past couple of months. Good work. As for the tech package, they had one sitting next to this one. 2017, less miles, but $6k more. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      2019 Audi Q5
      Solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Very cool, and you now have the better-looking version of the Mustang Mach-E (ugh)

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Awesome. Infiniti really could've done more with this car, shame they didn't do a true follow up. Is this a 2016+ extended wheelbase version? They should've had that available from the start.
      I agree about the new QX50. A RWD 3.0tt would have been fun, but probably would have sold about as well as these did.

Yep, it's a 2016 with the ~4" increase in rear legroom. It has 1" more combined legroom than the G35, which is all I needed. The only real downside is the trunk. Yeah, it's a hatch and I can comfortably stick my dog back there, but the floor is 5" shorter than the G35, and it's not like I can easily (power up and down!) fold the seats with two kid seats. Still, it passed my bike trailer, Bob stroller, and road bike test (with the seat post removed). Just barely. On that note, I ordered my first mod: a Curt trailer hitch for the bike rack.

Vehicles
      11-18-2019 06:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      congrats! I have a soft spot for this car and really considered buying one CPO before ultimately deciding to lease the 2019. Also, your MPG are waaaay off. I think you are quoting the numbers for the current gen QX50 with the 2.0T, not the previous gen with the VQ37. Here are the actual mpg numbers:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...iti_QX50.shtml
      I played around with a 2019 in the showroom, and it is certainly bigger and more practical. And modern. Way more modern.

As for the mpg, that was the indicated mileage on the trip computer. It actually got as high as an indicated 32 on the highway for ~10 miles at 60mph, but that was with a pretty solid tailwind. If it's like my G35, the estimate will be within .5 mpg or so of reality. Driving around town has dropped to 23.0, and that's on the tank of 87 from the dealer with a handful of hard acceleration. It's supposed to have 93, so we'll if that changes anything.

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      11-18-2019 07:46 PM #19
      Congrats on finding what you like in a better form factor.

I didn't realize these had the 4" wheelbase stretch. That would take the rear seat from "are you kidding me?" to "Ok, I can tolerate that". The cargo capacity would still be a bit meager though unless the seats are down, but unless you want an older FX I suppose this is as good a compromise as you can find.

How does it drive? Steering, ride, etc?

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      11-18-2019 10:49 PM #20
      I hope it serves you well.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      11-19-2019 08:57 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I didn't realize these had the 4" wheelbase stretch. That would take the rear seat from "are you kidding me?" to "Ok, I can tolerate that". The cargo capacity would still be a bit meager though unless the seats are down, but unless you want an older FX I suppose this is as good a compromise as you can find.

How does it drive? Steering, ride, etc?
      Yeah, the original one was a bit too small to be useful. This is borderline, but overall has more flexibility than a sedan. Sort of. A CX-5 or RDX would have been the practical choice. To give an idea of the cargo space, here's my ~60lb dog back there. He looks pissed because he thought he was going on a walk, not being stuck in the back of a miniature wagon.

The load floor is high, but he's 15... he gets a lift into the Rav4 too. Now that we have 2 child seats vs. 1 (and 1 dog vs. 2, sadly), I can no longer put him in a soft kennel in the back seat.

It drives a lot like a G35. The increased height doesn't seem to have negatively impacted handling very much, and an added benefit is that I'm not blinded quite as badly by all of the poorly-designed LED headlights out there. Steering is a little less sharp (I'm sure the squishy MXM4s play a role here), it has a touch more body roll (barely), and a more responsive drivetrain. Even though it should be a little slower than the G35, it feels faster. Ride quality isn't as plush as the CX-5 Touring that I drove, but it's definitely more refined and comfortable than the G35.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I hope it serves you well.
      Thanks. Me too. With how little I drive, it should last a while.

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 03:36 PM #22
      What a bitch. I ordered the only hitch available for these (Curt), and like the Curt that I ordered for the Rav4, it arrived slightly bent and half of the mounting holes didn't line up. This is "normal", and there is a DIY fix on etrailer for this exact issue. Unlike the Rav4 though, it was not feasible to remove the damn thing and bend it back with a scissor jack. So I'm going to clearance the holes on the hitch with a dremel. Luckily it's only a coupe of mm off, and one bolt on the messed up side is in place. I imagine there is no issue with this.

The hitch, which baaarely fits and is a huge pain in the ass to get in position, also has built-in exhaust hangers. Guess what? Also bent, so the passenger side tip is about 1/4" lower than the other. I can bend the hanger, I'm sure. What I probably can't fix is the fact that the receiver is also crooked. And the instructions and video are incomplete. One bonus is that I was half expecting the exhaust to leak after the amount of movement that was required, but it seems fine.

I was tempted abort, throw this into the woods, and install a roof rack, but roof racks are dumb.

Pro tip: blue shop towels do not protect paint from ****ty hitches.
      Last edited by Samson; 11-21-2019 at 03:38 PM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      11-21-2019 05:04 PM #23
      Man, I think it’s your delivery person. The Curt I bought for my wagon arrived spotless.

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 05:08 PM #24
      What a bitch. I ordered the only hitch available for these (Curt), and like the Curt that I ordered for the Rav4, it arrived slightly bent and half of the mounting holes didn't line up. This is "normal", and there is a DIY fix on etrailer for this exact issue.

Pro tip: blue shop towels do not protect paint from ****ty hitches.
      Off topic. I've been gone for a long time. When did the IS300 go away and when did you move to NC?

Vehicles
      11-21-2019 05:31 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Man, I think it’s your delivery person. The Curt I bought for my wagon arrived spotless.
      Nah. The shipping issue wasn't the kind that would result in this sort of misalignment. It's some strong stuff. When I called etrailer about the Rav4, they said that this is a normal manufacturing tolerance issue. Seems like crappy QC to me. The hanger misalignment falls in the same category. I've had other Curts fit OK. Maybe it's the style, or maybe Curt doesn't like Japanese CUV owners and wants to make them work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotemo View Post
      Off topic. I've been gone for a long time. When did the IS300 go away and when did you move to NC?
      Man, good memory! The IS300 went away in 2009? before we moved to CA (then to CO, then NC). Sold the Boxster then too. I've had a Civic Si, Accord Sport, and G35S since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast