VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

B6 2.0L and Audi A3 2.0L the same engine?

576 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sp4c3m4nsp1ff17 
#1 · (Edited)
This is going to be an odd question for the group but I figured it is similar and someone may know the answer..

I have a 3.6L B6 that I love and DON'T want to give to my son so I am looking at an older Audi A3 wagon for him. I know my car and all the quirks associated such as the oil bolt issue on the 06 &07 but I don't know the issues with the 2.0L... I have heard about the cam follower and such but I haven't had a reason to "follow" the issue.

So my question(s):

Is the 2.0L engine in the Audi A3 the same as in the B6 Passats?

Would you know if it had the same issues?

Would you buy or trust an older(06-09) Audi?

I do most of my car maintenance and I am sure I could do the general stuff on the Audi also but I have no experience with that powerplant.

#2 ·
The engine is basically identical in the a3 as the passat. They also changed around the same time (2008) from the belt driven fsi to the chain driven tsi.

FSI you are aware of the cam follower issue. Other problems could be intake manifold flap motors, intake cam chain tensioner, PCV failure.

The TSI also had issues with timing chain guides/tensioners and pcv issues which could blow the RMS.

Most people are fine with both motors as long as the service is up to date.

As far as an audi in general, they're not really any different than a VW, other than they might have more features and more things that could break over time. Your passat though probably has more standard features than the a3. If you're comfortable working on tbe Passat, the A3 should be fine.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.