VWVortex.com - rear trialing arm modification
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: rear trialing arm modification

1. 11-19-2019 12:44 AM #1
      bought a nissan 350z rear suspension and keep in mind you don't need a lift, just really tall jackstands

You will need 3-3.5" blocks for the front bushings to connect into the undercoated frame...
      shaving down the undercoat and welding may be preferred anyways the springs and shocks
      all look like they line up just fine I will be using the existing trailing arm bushings
      to index the 350z subframe to the body frame

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-19-2019 09:57 AM #2
      First of all really cool and I would rename this thread rear independent suspension swap or something similar because it is so much more than just a rear trailing arm modification and where did you come up with using a Nissan rear suspension? Going outside of the VAG parts bin is really awesome.

4. 11-20-2019 01:35 AM #3
      i came up with using a rear 350z suspension by looking at the mk4 rear wheel base width and the track(front to rear) i looked up the 350z wheel base specs and found them to be similar and using a aluminum fuel cell and welding on a filler connector to the aluminum square gas tank i'll be able to use all the original fuel pump & lines except the fill tube i'll get somewhere. You could go with the scarce R32 differential but i wanted to modify more than less so it goes with your preference.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-21-2019 12:41 AM #4

going a racing 17 gallon top feed gas tank for like 140 bucks the mount extensions above are from a 5 speed manual transmission... to take up the space between the rear sub-frame and car frame

Vehicles
      mk3 vrt
      11-21-2019 12:56 AM #5
      We need a vid of this car hitting some apex’s

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 GTI, '98 Cabrio VR6
      11-21-2019 08:59 AM #6
      Yay you're back

Let's see some welds!
      _/_/_/__/___/____/_____/______/_______/________/_________/__________/

Dub Cult | Simply Clean | MK3 Squad

9. 11-21-2019 08:35 PM #7
      So, what is the end goal with this car?

10. 11-22-2019 11:20 PM #8
      I would show my welds on these 23" aluminum welds i did with DC- so it's like AC's reverse polarity aluminum stick electrodes ... but this is specific to the criteria. The front of the mk4 frame is exceptionally strong i hear and want to cut the back up since i don't really care about the trunk space or back seats(Personal preference).

Craigslist scrap car to cut the rear body/bondo of my choosing... the engine compartment has miles for a turbo setup and I have a mpps v16 to rear/write the ECM's c/++ files. It's got a 6 speed in it from an 03 golf gti even though it's a 12v vr6. The end goal? well firstly maybe send the ECM out b/c i think the fuel pump driver went!

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 GTI 1.8 AWP 5 speed
      11-23-2019 01:45 AM #9
      Damn man this is cool, I was considering something like this for adding electric rear wheel drive. An old electric forklift motor bolted to the diff and you're good to go. Do you have a rough idea of how much the Nissan rear end weights? Definitely keep the pics coming.

12. 12-03-2019 01:19 AM #10
      Made spacers, melted the polyethanol tank together with a long flame blow torch even because i didn't like the jb welded poly carbonate cut out idea... had to cut down the front spacer extension. presto '06 nissan 350z rear suspension.... going to have to make spring mount lockers.... guess next thing is to check the ECM drivers the fuel pumps drivers are continuously running.

Last edited by vwenthusiest1; 12-03-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spite

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 GTI, '98 Cabrio VR6
      12-03-2019 09:39 AM #11
      Wow. Keep it going.

14. 12-03-2019 09:41 PM #12
      Well i don't know how long i can keep posting pictures of these processes... project is pretty much complete except some welding on the front support brackets and maybe slapping on some calipers and rotors and connecting the oem emergency cables to the 350z ones...

The spring lockers will have to be added surprisingly the shocks line up to the oem... i don't know how many people there are out their modifying their cars in this manner but at-least now you know it's entirely possible.

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI 1.8T 2DR Manual / B4 Audi Quattro
      Yesterday 07:24 PM #13
      How does it drive? Did you have any trouble getting everything aligned?
      Some people get a mortgage. I buy gti parts.