VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: MY RIDE Series: You want a '50s Manhattan? Make it a double

1. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      11-19-2019 01:18 PM #1
      https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-of-...s&page=1&pos=1
      QUOTE]Nathan Swanson, 61, a staff assistant at Duke University’s Population Research Institute, and Rex Crews, 60, a lecturing fellow in Duke’s classical studies department, on their 1951 Frazer Manhattan convertibles, as told to A.J. Baime.

Swanson: When I was in the sixth grade, I found a 19-year old National Geographic on a dusty shelf at school. I opened it and saw an ad for a 1951 Frazer Manhattan convertible. I just liked this car. I secretly tore out the ad and I have it to this day.

Crews: I have liked Kaiser-Frazer cars for years. I was interested in the fact that two American industrialists, Henry J. Kaiser and Joe Frazer, had launched arguably the most successful new competition to the Big Three right after World War II. I had a 1953 Kaiser Dragon, but Frazer was the higher-end car of the two brands. I thought that if I ever saw an ad for one, I would try to buy it.

Swanson: Only 131 Frazer Manhattan convertibles were built in 1951. In 2017, I saw an ad for one for sale in New Mexico. I called the guy and he told me he had already sold the car—to someone in the same town where I live.

Crews: After I bought my 1951 Frazer, the seller called and said, “I can’t believe it, but someone else in Durham has called me about the car. Do you mind if I give him your number?”

Swanson: Another 1951 Frazer Manhattan convertible came up for sale in Alabama. I flew down there. I had never seen one in person, only in an advertisement. It was as beautiful as I imagined. I bought the car and later, I called Rex. I had never met him before. I thought: What are the chances that two guys, about the same age, living in the same town, working at the same institution, would own the same rare car? When people see this Frazer, they ask: Is that an American car? Because most have never heard of Kaiser-Frazer.

Crews: Kaiser-Frazer cars started coming out around 1947. There were two brands: Kaiser and Frazer. Henry J. Kaiser was an industrial magnate—an aluminum manufacturer, and a ship and dam builder. [Mr. Kaiser is arguably most known now as co-founder of Kaiser-Permanente, one of the nation’s largest health-care providers today.] Joe Frazer had the automotive experience. He had worked in the industry.

Swanson: They pooled their resources, but in 1951 Frazer left the company and the brand disappeared, so our 1951 Frazers were among the last built. If I had to guess, I would say that there are only a dozen 1951 Manhattan convertibles mobile today. Part of the joy of owning this car is keeping the history alive.[/QUOTE]
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Escalade
      11-20-2019 02:40 PM #2
      Sweet lines

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      11-20-2019 02:47 PM #3
      With the title having "Manhattan" and "double" I expected this:

I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-20-2019 02:48 PM #4
      That's a cool story!

I can't decide if I like the green or white car more. I love some color, but the red interior makes the white one pop!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

6. Member
      11-21-2019 04:40 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

7. 11-21-2019 08:39 PM #6
      Very very cool. The window frames remain in place when the door windows roll down (except for the "B" pillar window, which I believe does nothing)...

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      11-21-2019 10:06 PM #7
      Neat. I had never heard of Frazer before.

9. Member
      11-22-2019 12:23 PM #8
      Such a sweet car and such a dud motor. Oh well, as long as it gets on down the road you could probably decide it's meant to be a "parade car".

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 camry
      11-23-2019 01:45 PM #9
      They even tried supercharging this lump.... to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      11-23-2019 09:46 PM #10
      Super cool
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™