Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I had a loaner for a day

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      11-20-2019 08:19 AM #1
      While my GSW was in the shop, I got a chance to explore Alltrack and reaffirm I've made the right choice with GSW.
      It was an SE model with a (my daughter loved it) panoramic roof. It had DGS, ambient (foot-well and door trim) interior lighting (really liked it) and other options many familiar with.
      Leatherette seats were as comfortable as cloth seats in my GSW.
      The ride: It was subtly different. Somewhat less supple than my GSW, mainly due to much better DWS tires I have on my GSW. Otherwise as pleasant and as compliant as a Golf should be.
      Also, different coil springs/damping might be another reason of somewhat firmer ride. Firmer but less composed than GSW.
      Ride height is noticeable during ingress/egress maneuvers.
      DGS: I almost snapped the shift lever trying to change gears. My left foot desperately tried to find third pedal...I was glad to return it and get back to shifting my manual GSW.
      I was genuinely surprised VW hasn't fixed the lurch on take off DSG exhibits with some clever software tweak.
      Driving it: There was a big difference between APR tuned GSW and stock Alltrack performance.
      Although I enjoyed flipping shift paddles in S mode, it was not as tactile experience as shifting manual gears.

Cheers...
      How hard can it be!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      11-20-2019 08:29 AM #2
      So sounds like you were glad you got a 6MT more than a DSG?

The best thing I did for the AT ride was get 225-55-17 tires, they really complement the stiffer springs.

Agreed the DSG is "unique" it really is quite smooth once you are on the same "mindset"

Hows the MT holding up with the APR power?
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

4. 11-20-2019 08:50 AM #3
      Drives dsg like a manual. Wonders why it lurches. Semi joking but you reaching for the clutch also means you were likely stabbing the gas pedal harder than DSG drivers do. If DSG drivers tweak their gas pedals, they tend to mod them to take some lag out to do the opposite of your issue with it. I suspect you just didn't have it long enough to acclimate. That said. Nothing wrong with preferring to row.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-20-2019 09:31 AM #4
      Yea I hear you. I test drove an alltrack and did not like the "tilt" when going around sweeping turns. Now that I have my GSW stiffened up and have a rear sway bar and end links upgraded, the thing really handles and feels like the frame was carved from a solid piece of rock. It rotates around corners in a way that I have not felt with any car. I feel like it I got the alltrack I would have lowered it, and then what is the point? I'm really glad VW offered both versions. Subaru does not sell the legacy wagon anymore - only the outback, which I think really eliminated the enthusiast customers. Combine that with the fact that the WRX is also no longer offered as a wagon, and the VW GSW becomes the only choice.

7. 11-20-2019 11:08 AM #5
      Dropped my alltrack as well. Kinda liked the view from on high at 1st but got tired of it. Was just going to change the shock but springs are so cheap and I knew I'd like that better anyway. also opened up shock options (Koni Sport active) GTI springs and R bar has it nicely balanced. I almost bought a stick but read about the weak clutch and knew I'd need to make changes anyway. I prefer a stiffer clutch pedal and I really like the DSG anyway. Didn't care for the normal auto on the 2wd sportwagen or the 1.4.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack SE 6MT
      11-20-2019 11:08 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Capoken View Post
      Yea I hear you. I test drove an alltrack and did not like the "tilt" when going around sweeping turns. Now that I have my GSW stiffened up and have a rear sway bar and end links upgraded, the thing really handles and feels like the frame was carved from a solid piece of rock. It rotates around corners in a way that I have not felt with any car. I feel like it I got the alltrack I would have lowered it, and then what is the point? I'm really glad VW offered both versions. Subaru does not sell the legacy wagon anymore - only the outback, which I think really eliminated the enthusiast customers. Combine that with the fact that the WRX is also no longer offered as a wagon, and the VW GSW becomes the only choice.
      And the GSW and AT are dead in 45 days for good. So now no more choices in the US unless you go Volvo, Outback, Allroad or MB

9. 11-20-2019 11:40 AM #7
      Yes they are going away. But I would not necessarily say "for good". The wagon often follows the hatchback by a model year or so. We may see an MK8 wagon in the future. I hope so. But my car is still pretty young so I am not too worried about it. I intend to take good care of it and keep it for a long time. There will be a whole new field of options by the time it comes to replace it. Although, I do like those MB wagons too.

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      11-20-2019 05:32 PM #8
      Hows the MT holding up with the APR power?
      I've got only 8K miles on it. So far no issues.
      If there were any complaints form passengers when I drive my GSW, I blame only myself for limp-footing the clutch.
      How hard can it be!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      11-21-2019 08:35 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Capoken View Post
      A rear sway bar (as you found out on your GSW) is also a great upgrade on the AT you'll just need the more expensive bar from an R. H&R with moog end links on our AT flattens the ride quite well.
      '17 Alltrack SE

Vehicles
      19 GSW 4Mo, 6sp.
      11-21-2019 08:40 AM #10
      I do have an "R" RSB.

It does make a difference.
      How hard can it be!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      11-21-2019 09:55 AM #11
      One of my favourite local auto journalists around here says that the base GSW 4MOTION is the "Alltrack for people who can count".

I too am glad I got a GSW ('18 Trendline 4MOTION 6-mt) instead of an Alltrack. Simply because it represents outstanding value compared to the AT versions we can get around here, can do just about anything an AT can do, and doesn't have plastic cladding behind which hides grit and nonsense that accelerates corrosion.

Mind you my GSW is not corrosion-free. This summer while washing the car I found a flake of missing paint on the lower tailgate lip; on closer examination I see it rubbed against the plastic bumper cover and wore off. And now it's rusting. Dealer filed a claim with VW, he said it's a known issue. However VW is damned slow at honouring these claims. It was found in late summer, claim filed almost immediately, and now we're in winter, with salt and sand on the roads and it's already rusting.

14. 11-21-2019 09:59 AM #12
      With the current GTI spring setup, the R bar is as much of an upgrade as I would want. Any more and it would favor the back too much. Not for everyone in this forum as it's only viable for AWD models.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      11-21-2019 01:21 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGSW View Post
      I do have an "R" RSB.

It does make a difference.
      Forgot you had a 4Mo GSW
      '17 Alltrack SE