VWVortex.com - Good job VW, your 2020 Tiguan color palette sucks. :(
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Good job VW, your 2020 Tiguan color palette sucks. :(

1. 11-20-2019 01:38 PM #1
      Ugh:

Congratulations VW, you've become Buick.

Also, dropping White Silver really sucks. That was one of the most interesting colors in VW's lineup.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-20-2019 01:45 PM #2
      Agreed, they look terrible, a really dark pewter would have been nice

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan, 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T
      11-20-2019 01:46 PM #3
      Not at all surprised to see them ax the habanero orange, even though its my favorite color. But I thought they would at least hang on to the red.

I'm a big fan of the pyrite silver, though. I actually much prefer it to the white silver.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      11-20-2019 01:49 PM #4
      SE adds cardinal red metallic
      But SE-rline restricts choices

SEL- Rline has more choices than SE-Rline

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Vehicles
      '06 GTI (Totaled), '09 GTI (Sold), '15 Golf (Sold), '19 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      11-20-2019 03:07 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
      Also, dropping White Silver really sucks. That was one of the most interesting colors in VW's lineup.
      agreed x1000... i tried to get white silver but they were no where to be found in the config i wanted so I went with silk blue again like my golf.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SE, 1997 Passat GLX Sedan
      11-21-2019 04:01 AM #6
      I'm happy that I got white-silver when I bought my 2018 SEL-Premium 4-motion. Still love the color! Dropping it for 2020 does suck!

Vehicles
      '19 Tig '15 F-150
      11-21-2019 01:19 PM #7
      I am glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2019 so I could get my orange Tiggy

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      11-21-2019 01:35 PM #8
      Would be nice if the VW Spektrum Program was available for all models. Choice of another 40 colors for a price could be worth it to a lot of folks, not just Golf R buyers. Though apparently implementation of that was a train wreck. Took a bunch of orders then later revealed it was limited to 250 orders.
      https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1065

But as long as they've got black, I'm good.
      Last edited by socialD; 11-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-21-2019 02:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by socialD View Post
      Would be nice if the VW Spektrum Program was available for all models. Choice of another 40 colors for a price could be worth it to a lot of folks, not just Golf R buyers. Though apparently implementation of that was a train wreck. Took a bunch of orders then later revealed it was limited to 250 orders.
      https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1065

But as long as they've got black, I'm good.
      I honestly believe the spektrum program was a ruse to try to see which colors of the 40 were most popularly ordered- potentially for a future model's color pallet (cough cough the tharu). They rarely do things like this without some ulterior motive, and given the data it provided, it makes sense.

There are a quite a few spektrum golf R's on cars.com in a ton of varying colors, as dealers themselves seem to have been able to order them without being a sold order.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3084/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0728/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9834/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7784/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6724/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5267/overview/

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and 1974 Karmann Ghia cabriolet
      11-21-2019 06:43 PM #10
      How about some warm colors for the interior?

With most of the exterior color choices, you're limited to black or grey.

How about a brown- or beige/tan option?

Geez.

13. 11-21-2019 10:35 PM #11
      Yeah, very lame VW.

My orange sel-p rline 4 motion is my favorite color and car I've owned.

On one hand I am sad to see no more habanero orange.

On the other, it makes mine pretty rare.

Look around, the high intensity and the interesting colors are the ones that sell the line.

I have people ask me all the time about my car. The color is VERY polarizing. Most love it but the ones that don't, hate it.

The r lines wear it the best though

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan, 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T
      11-21-2019 10:38 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by konza View Post
      How about some warm colors for the interior?

With most of the exterior color choices, you're limited to black or grey.

How about a brown- or beige/tan option?

Geez.
      The marrakesh brown in the alltrack was my favorite VW interior. Naturally they killed that too...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

15. 11-21-2019 10:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dbigley View Post
      I'm happy that I got white-silver when I bought my 2018 SEL-Premium 4-motion. Still love the color! Dropping it for 2020 does suck!
      It was dropped for 2019 too.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6, 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line
      11-21-2019 11:27 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by zimmie2652 View Post
      It was dropped for 2019 too.
      My 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line is White-Silver

17. 11-22-2019 12:48 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Sn0b0arder87 View Post
      My 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line is White-Silver
      They discontinued it midway through the model year.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6, 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line
      11-22-2019 04:07 PM #16
      They discontinued it midway through the model year.
      That is disappointing, I love the color and was really hoping they would release the Atlas in the White-Silver.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      11-22-2019 07:35 PM #17
      I’d probably go with Platinum Grey given that choice.

Vehicles
      '19 WRX in Pure Red / '06 Touareg V8 in Blk
      12-11-2019 11:52 AM #18
      VW is not alone in this limited color pallet thing. Honda was/is guilty of it as well as Subaru and Mazda.

When the Accord coupe was still a thing, if you wanted a 4cyl manual Accord Coupe, you could only get it in black (one color). If you wanted a 6cyl manual coupe, you could get it in 4 colors - Black, Red, Silver, or White. If I wanted a Blue Accord Coupe, I had to get it in an automatic (both 4 and 6 cyl cars).

Subaru is guilty of this limited color choice too on their WRX/Sti for years. Other than a few limited special edition colors (usually limited to 250 examples), the WRX/Sti has had the same, and somewhat lame 7 colors - Black, Red, World Rally Blue, Lapis Blue (very dark), Silver, Dark Grey Metallic (DGM), and White. However, just this year, or for 2020, DGM has been replace my another grey - Medium Grey Metallic, a slightly lighter grey that is also available on other models like the Forester.

Mazda is super guilty too. Red and Blue colored cars on a Mazda lot are few and far between, except they really seem to push the upcharge Soul Red Metallic quite a bit, but it is still not as popular as the darker colors.

Darker, bland colors magically lease better. Since selling cars is no longer the priority and leasing them is the preferred way a dealer wants to do business, colors that are better at leasing are the ones that get top billing. Black, grey, silver, and white will always be present in a color pallet on every car, that's just how it is.

Some cars will give two choices of silver and/or grey. I think, at one point, it was either the 3 series or A4 that had THREE different greys to choose from; yes a light, medium and dark grey. But hey, it's a car that is leased often, so it's okay.

For the record, I loath beige, silk, parchment, and white interior colors too (Grey is a close 5th). A prime reason I did not buy a Silk Blue w/beige interior 2019 Alltrack-S 6M back in September - no-go on light interiors.
      Last edited by gti dreamn; 12-11-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Tori Spelling airors
      SAABSAAB__#savethemanuals_>> Go FROGS !!! <<
      SAABSAAB__Subaru NA give us a 6spd Levorg WRX WAGON!!!
      SAABSAAB__MAZDA NA give us a 6spd Mazda6 Wagon in Touring trim, just like the sedan!!!

21. 12-11-2019 01:35 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by gti dreamn View Post
      Mazda is super guilty too. Red and Blue colored cars on a Mazda lot are few and far between, except they really seem to push the upcharge Soul Red Metallic quite a bit, but it is still not as popular as the darker colors.
      I agree that the dreary color palette is a problem with all manufacturers. But it’s particularly shameful that you can’t buy a FREAKING MIATA (!!!) in a fun color. That’s just pathetic on Mazda’s part.

At least Dodge/Jeep has some great colors, and Honda and Toyota have some good choices for their sportier cars and some of their SUVs/trucks.

Vehicles
      12-13-2019 03:21 AM #20
      I agree that the dreary color palette is a problem with all manufacturers. But it’s particularly shameful that you can’t buy a FREAKING MIATA (!!!) in a fun color. That’s just pathetic on Mazda’s part.

At least Dodge/Jeep has some great colors, and Honda and Toyota have some good choices for their sportier cars and some of their SUVs/trucks.

So very true on the Mazda. Shoot, even going to their vehicle page reveals the blandness that awaits. Of the 9 (depending on which page you look at) there are ONLY TWO cars shown in the Soul Red Metallic (MX-5 & CX-30)...TWO fricken cars. The rest are all displayed in a silver....

Our '16 CX-5 is in the aforementioned Soul Red Metallic paint and I hate it. Don't get me wrong, when clean (and waxed) it looks great, especially sparking in the sun; but the paint is soooooo fragile it is ridiculous. chip, chip, chip...I'd gladly take tough German paint that was on my GTI over the Japanese Mazda paint any day

Shoot, on the "select a trim page", only the Grand Touring MX-5 is shown in Red, the other two are shown in a white

The MX-5 Sport gets 4 colors - Red, White, Silver, and Black. The Club adds a gray (boring). Finally, the Grand Touring adds a blue on top of the Club's 5. So, 4, 5, or 6 colors depending on how much money you want to spend and the cheap ppl get the least amount of colors to choose from. But all the colors are bland and boring and not fun in any way shape or form.

No wonder why car wrapping is so popular.

I like Jeep's (and other FCA products) philosophy - put fun colors on cars that are supposed to be fun. I love that as you are supposed to have an emotional connection to your car and the color is a BIG part of that. Sure there are ppl who like black, silver, and grey, but there are also pppl who want to say "Look at Me!"
      SAABSAAB__MAZDA NA give us a 6spd Mazda6 Wagon in Touring trim, just like the sedan!!!

23. 12-13-2019 12:47 PM #21
      Ugh:

Congratulations VW, you've become Buick.

They are going to offer what sells and do away with what doesnt. Its that simple.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-13-2019 01:25 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by gti dreamn View Post
      So very true on the Mazda. Shoot, even going to their vehicle page reveals the blandness that awaits. Of the 9 (depending on which page you look at) there are ONLY TWO cars shown in the Soul Red Metallic (MX-5 & CX-30)...TWO fricken cars. The rest are all displayed in a silver....

Our '16 CX-5 is in the aforementioned Soul Red Metallic paint and I hate it. Don't get me wrong, when clean (and waxed) it looks great, especially sparking in the sun; but the paint is soooooo fragile it is ridiculous. chip, chip, chip...I'd gladly take tough German paint that was on my GTI over the Japanese Mazda paint any day

Shoot, on the "select a trim page", only the Grand Touring MX-5 is shown in Red, the other two are shown in a white

The MX-5 Sport gets 4 colors - Red, White, Silver, and Black. The Club adds a gray (boring). Finally, the Grand Touring adds a blue on top of the Club's 5. So, 4, 5, or 6 colors depending on how much money you want to spend and the cheap ppl get the least amount of colors to choose from. But all the colors are bland and boring and not fun in any way shape or form.
      The other Mazdas are shown in machine gray since that is the newer premium tri-coat color of the two (soul red and machine gray). It debuted on the cx9 and has spread across the lineup.

25. 12-13-2019 02:52 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Passatsquared View Post
      Yeah, very lame VW.

.....My orange sel-p rline 4 motion is my favorite color and car I've owned.....
      I'm with you on this as I have the same.

I'm glad they're doing away with it though as it will make it all that much easier to spot in the parking lot.

Vehicles
      12-13-2019 04:58 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      The other Mazdas are shown in machine gray since that is the newer premium tri-coat color of the two (soul red and machine gray). It debuted on the cx9 and has spread across the lineup.

I guess I couldn't tell because my monitor brightness was at 15%...but having 7 out of 9 car icons/silhouettes displayed with the same dreary color, no matter how new and how ooo-aaaa the machine grey is, it is flat out un-exciting.

I guess mazda is going for that pressed Hugo Boss suit look, and say hey, we'll moving up to a near luxury status and we have the bland, cold, dreary colors to prove it.

Most of these colors look great clean, but when you see 10 of them a day, they aren't so special.