VWVortex.com - Hoping to purchase a 2018 Tiguan this weekend. Is there anything I should know beforehand?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hoping to purchase a 2018 Tiguan this weekend. Is there anything I should know beforehand?

1. 11-20-2019 01:47 PM #1
      Hey guys,

I made a deal on a 2018 certified Habanero Orange SEL Premium w/4Motion with 8xxx miles for $26,500. The one problem is that it's 4 hours away. I have a deposit on the car, pre-approved for financing, etc. so is there anything that I should look for during the test drive? I took an extremely similar white Tiguan for a test drive this past weekend and loved it so I'm familiar with the features but are there any mechanic issues that I should look for?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-20-2019 01:59 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by AkiraSieghart View Post
      Hey guys,

I made a deal on a 2018 certified Habanero Orange SEL Premium w/4Motion with 8xxx miles for $26,500. The one problem is that it's 4 hours away. I have a deposit on the car, pre-approved for financing, etc. so is there anything that I should look for during the test drive? I took an extremely similar white Tiguan for a test drive this past weekend and loved it so I'm familiar with the features but are there any mechanic issues that I should look for?
      The only real unfixable issue that 'plagued' the 2018s is the B-pillar rattle.

If you hear a faint (or loud) ticking noise behind your right ear when you go on bumpy roads then back out. Other than that just check if there are open recalls and such, but if it's a CPO then it should be fine.

Other than that just do your basic walkaround for tire tread left, odd squeaks, etc.

I guess the only other question I'd also ask is why someone turned in their car so early, although the dealer may not fess up to it being returned because of issues like the b-pillar rattle.

4. 11-20-2019 02:10 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
      The only real unfixable issue that 'plagued' the 2018s is the B-pillar rattle.

If you hear a faint (or loud) ticking noise behind your right ear when you go on bumpy roads then back out. Other than that just check if there are open recalls and such, but if it's a CPO then it should be fine.

Other than that just do your basic walkaround for tire tread left, odd squeaks, etc.

I guess the only other question I'd also ask is why someone turned in their car so early, although the dealer may not fess up to it being returned because of issues like the b-pillar rattle.
      Thanks for the info! Checking the CarFax showed that the first owner leased the car for five months before releasing it in mid October 2019 and the car has been for sale since though I wouldn't expect the dealer/VW to say why the customer returned the car. It was registered as a personal lease and not a commercial one.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      11-20-2019 02:21 PM #4
      There are a couple of other things to be aware of with the 2018.

The first would be the hesitation issue, which I believe is solved via the TSB described here:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...esponse-issues

The next - although unsure if addressable - would be the headlight issue if it applies to your vehicle:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...e-****-is-this

7. 11-20-2019 07:39 PM #5
      Send you a PM

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      11-20-2019 07:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by titleman View Post
      Send you a PM
      Uh, can the rest of us hear this secret about picking up new Tiguan?

9. 11-20-2019 09:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
      Uh, can the rest of us hear this secret about picking up new Tiguan?
      No secret, just something based on my experience of owning a 2018 Subaru Forester and a 2019 VW Tiguan.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      11-21-2019 08:44 AM #8
      Well, if you want to share, would be good to know the bit around the Tiguan.

11. 11-21-2019 12:04 PM #9
      Well, if you want to share, would be good to know the bit around the Tiguan.
      Geez people, I don't want to share and that's why I used a PM. Don't want to get an argument started on my personal opinion.

If you are thinking of buying a 2018 Tiguan PM me and I'll share otherwise it has nothing to do with anything else.

12. 11-21-2019 02:41 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by titleman View Post
      Geez people, I don't want to share and that's why I used a PM. Don't want to get an argument started on my personal opinion.

If you are thinking of buying a 2018 Tiguan PM me and I'll share otherwise it has nothing to do with anything else.
      I don't think it's that big of a deal--we're all adults here.

Titleman PM'd saying that he prefers his 2018 Forester to his Tiguan and recommended that I try one out before going for the Tiguan. I appreciate his input and I have tried out the Forester since my father owns one. It's a great car but I'm looking for something that feels (and looks) a bit more premium.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-21-2019 02:56 PM #11
      Usually on such a short ownership stint, there is an explanation such as one of the following:

1) It was a buy back or replacement situation that was not needed to be reported to carfax as it was not technically lemon law'd, just taken care of behind the scenes by VWofA. However, since it was a lease that is unlikely as most states do not have lemon law rights for leasing, only for purchase- therefore VW rarely feels obligated to follow through with a buy back or replacement in that case.

2) It was in an accident, and the PO wanted to trade out of it before it hit carfax some months later as damage reported to get ahead of any diminished value. This could also be if they crashed the car and paid out of pocket as they no longer wanted a damaged car even though it was not ever reported (due to a cash repair).

3) The PO wanted a larger suv such as the atlas since I know many people have traded up after hearing of an additional new born quickly after buying a Tiguan. Given those three possibilities, I can attest to having personally owned cars for 2-4 months as well, so it is not automatically fishy.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      11-21-2019 04:28 PM #12
      I don't think it's that big of a deal--we're all adults here.

Titleman PM'd saying that he prefers his 2018 Forester to his Tiguan and recommended that I try one out before going for the Tiguan. I appreciate his input and I have tried out the Forester since my father owns one. It's a great car but I'm looking for something that feels (and looks) a bit more premium.
      Agreed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that comment, and Subaru makes great vehicles as well.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan
      11-21-2019 06:06 PM #13
      I have a 2018 and I’ve had a lot of problems. My car has been in the shop all week and this is my third unscheduled service and all 3 times they had it a week. They gave me 2019 Tiguan loaner and after driving it for a week I do see a big difference from mine.

16. 11-22-2019 08:41 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by smg64ct203 View Post
      I have a 2018 and I’ve had a lot of problems. My car has been in the shop all week and this is my third unscheduled service and all 3 times they had it a week. They gave me 2019 Tiguan loaner and after driving it for a week I do see a big difference from mine.
      Interesting. Where do you notice the difference? Just in driving feel?

Honestly, they have a brand new 2019 SEL Premium 4Motion that's also habenero orange and it has the cream interior (in my older age, I'm starting to like brighter interiors...go figure). Not sure that's worth the extra 5+ grand, though. I feel relatively comfortable knowing that the 2018 I'm interesting in is certified with a ridiculous amount of time and mileage left in the factory warranty. My commute is currently only about 10 miles each way. I'm averaging about 6-7k miles a year even with trips and everything.

That being said, even though I did test drive a 2018 SEL Premimum 4Motion this past weekend but passed because of it's high price $32k and because it was white, I do plan on giving the one I'm interested in a thorough test drive. The one I test drove this past week drove like a dream.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      11-22-2019 11:09 AM #15
      There are a couple of other things to be aware of with the 2018.

The first would be the hesitation issue, which I believe is solved via the TSB described here:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...esponse-issues

...]
      @OP - Unsure if you noticed my earlier post, but I'd encourage you to get the TSB taken care of prior to vehicle delivery. If you've looked at that thread, it seems some dealership are seeking codes, while others have been more flexible. In any event, it would be ideal to have that done early on.

As for the LED piece (which I snipped from this quote), there may be nothing you can do about it, but perhaps it can be used as leverage in terms of negotiation. (Or, you may get some benefit by having the dealership adjust headlight aim - some have complained of it being too low.)

18. 11-22-2019 01:25 PM #16
      @OP - Unsure if you noticed my earlier post, but I'd encourage you to get the TSB taken care of prior to vehicle delivery. If you've looked at that thread, it seems some dealership are seeking codes, while others have been more flexible. In any event, it would be ideal to have that done early on.

As for the LED piece (which I snipped from this quote), there may be nothing you can do about it, but perhaps it can be used as leverage in terms of negotiation. (Or, you may get some benefit by having the dealership adjust headlight aim - some have complained of it being too low.)
      Yup, I emailed the sales representative that I've been in contact with and they're going to see if it has had the TSB done and if not, they're going to try to take care of it by tomorrow afternoon. Again, the car is a 4 hour drive from me so if they can't get it done, I'll just have a local Volkswagen dealer take care of it. I can't make the drive during the week because of work and I don't want to wait until the weekend after the holidays.

As for the headlights...honestly, I have no idea if I'll even care all that much. My current Focus ST has HIDs but every other car has been halogens so I don't really have anything to compare the LEDs in the Tiguan to. I expect it to be dark during my drive back with the Tiguan so if I think they aren't bright enough, I'll worry about it then.

19. 11-22-2019 02:03 PM #17
      Our family had 2 2018 tiguans. One was bought back by vw for a myriad of non fixable issues, most of which was the b pillar ticking. The other was sold before it reached its 1st birthday.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      11-22-2019 07:52 PM #18
      There are better and more reliable compact SUVs in the market.....

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan
      11-22-2019 08:27 PM #19
      Interesting. Where do you notice the difference? Just in driving feel?

Honestly, they have a brand new 2019 SEL Premium 4Motion that's also habenero orange and it has the cream interior (in my older age, I'm starting to like brighter interiors...go figure). Not sure that's worth the extra 5+ grand, though. I feel relatively comfortable knowing that the 2018 I'm interesting in is certified with a ridiculous amount of time and mileage left in the factory warranty. My commute is currently only about 10 miles each way. I'm averaging about 6-7k miles a year even with trips and everything.

That being said, even though I did test drive a 2018 SEL Premimum 4Motion this past weekend but passed because of it's high price $32k and because it was white, I do plan on giving the one I'm interested in a thorough test drive. The one I test drove this past week drove like a dream.
      It doesn’t hesitate like mine does and mine hesitates bad. It takes the bumps better and this one gets really good gas mileage. I went a whole week on a tank of gas, mine eats gas. I have been in a new forester and RAV4 and they feel much better, my tig feels really cheap compared to them. I’m going car shopping soon.

22. 11-23-2019 12:16 AM #20
      Just the clicking b-pillar in early builds.

I have a 2018 Tiguan SE 4motion since brand new and 50k trouble free miles.

Good luck, hope it works out.

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2018/VW/Tiguan Comfortline
      11-24-2019 11:13 AM #21
      If the vehicle has OEM remote starter, or if you want to add one, these have been problematic. I purchased 2018 Tiguan in Dec 2018. At that time VW was no longer making remote starter available due to the issues. One year later it is still not available in Canada, as they either aren't interested or can't fix the issues.

24. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline R
      11-24-2019 12:35 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Rkeaner View Post
      If the vehicle has OEM remote starter, or if you want to add one, these have been problematic. I purchased 2018 Tiguan in Dec 2018. At that time VW was no longer making remote starter available due to the issues. One year later it is still not available in Canada, as they either aren't interested or can't fix the issues.
      We just picked up a 2019 Tiguan Highline with the R-Line package and it has the remote start. We have used it many times and it works well. Heated seats and steering wheel comes on with the remote start.

25. 11-24-2019 07:42 PM #23
      Sorry guys, it's been busy the past two days. Ended up driving down to Virginia from NJ Saturday afternoon as planned and picked up the car and drove it back later that night. It has 9,xxx miles on the clock, certified, and factory warranty until 8 yr./120k mi. The car drives like a dream. No B pillar ticking, no hesitation under acceleration, and the headlights seem fine to me. I'm a happy customer! Also, this is the only habanero orange Tiguan I've seen in person so I'm happy to own something a bit unique. I absolutely love the color and I can't wait for the sun to come out so I can see the paint shine.

Thanks everyone!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan
      11-25-2019 06:39 PM #24
      Sorry guys, it's been busy the past two days. Ended up driving down to Virginia from NJ Saturday afternoon as planned and picked up the car and drove it back later that night. It has 9,xxx miles on the clock, certified, and factory warranty until 8 yr./120k mi. The car drives like a dream. No B pillar ticking, no hesitation under acceleration, and the headlights seem fine to me. I'm a happy customer! Also, this is the only habanero orange Tiguan I've seen in person so I'm happy to own something a bit unique. I absolutely love the color and I can't wait for the sun to come out so I can see the paint shine.

Thanks everyone!

Good luck with it. I’ve had my 2018 for over 2 years it was an early build. Mine was repaired and it drives really nice. The hesitation I had since day one was fixed with a new fuel injection wiring harness and fuel injector. I have been complaining since it was new and it finally drives the way it’s supposed to.