VWVortex.com - School me. 2008 Corvette.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School me. 2008 Corvette.

Vehicles
      2018 M3
      11-20-2019 07:07 PM #1
      As some of you know, while trying to decide if snow tires are worth the trouble on my M3, I came across a 2008 Corvette, that is well priced. Yes, it does nothing to fix my issue, but, LS3. Here is the car in question https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...009824840.html

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      11-20-2019 07:12 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      As some of you know, while trying to decide if snow tires are worth the trouble on my M3, I came across a 2008 Corvette, that is well priced. Yes, it does nothing to fix my issue, but, LS3. Here is the car in question https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...009824840.html
      A LS3 Z51 Corvette wikll be my next Corvette. I don't think this is a Z51 but still helluva street car. For the money how can you ****ing say no?
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-20-2019 07:13 PM #3
      I have nothing to add except make sure you own a Hawaiian shirt and a Jimmy Buffet CD

Vehicles
      2018 M3
      11-20-2019 07:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      A LS3 Z51 Corvette wikll be my next Corvette. I don't think this is a Z51 but still helluva street car. For the money how can you ****ing say no?
      yeah, for the money its a ton of performance

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I have nothing to add except make sure you own a Hawaiian shirt and a Jimmy Buffet CD
      I've considered that. Also, if I did get it, I'd have to ask my cousin out for dinner and make some significant life changes...

11-20-2019 08:22 PM #5
      Good car.

However if you plan on tracking the car, I'd look elsewhere.

Vehicles
      2015 Chevy SS
      11-20-2019 08:25 PM #6
      One of these is also mandatory

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      11-20-2019 08:26 PM #7
      I have nothing to add except make sure you own a Hawaiian shirt, a pair of New Balances and a Jimmy Buffet CD
      FTFY
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

11-20-2019 09:48 PM #8
      Prefer non Z51 gearing anyway.

This is a great price.
      120 whp/L. >15 bar BMEP, N/A.
      --
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Butthurt Honda fanbois are butthrt their lawnmowers are overpriced. I was Stage 2 through a dealership with a full warranty so I don't see how it's not a fair comparison. But Honda bois just want to please Johnny Tran

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      11-21-2019 01:12 AM #9
      And a pair of double-knit sans-a-belt® slacks, white tassled loafers, a spiffy-looking set of golf clubs, and a pack of stale Pall Malls (no filter of course) in the front pocket of that Hawaiian shirt.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      11-21-2019 02:26 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      And a pair of double-knit sans-a-belt® slacks, white tassled loafers, a spiffy-looking set of golf clubs, and a pack of stale Pall Malls (no filter of course) in the front pocket of that Hawaiian shirt.
      The tasseled loafers really sell it. Didnt you have a pair in your Scirocco days Kev?

Vehicles
      2018 M3
      11-21-2019 08:08 AM #11
      seems I'm really going to love this new lifestyle if I buy this thing I mean, I'm in my early 40s, no better time like the present to have this mid life crisis

13. 11-21-2019 08:20 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by silverxt View Post

and these

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      11-21-2019 08:37 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      seems I'm really going to love this new lifestyle if I buy this thing I mean, I'm in my early 40s, no better time like the present to have this mid life crisis
      Don't forget to get a folding chair in the trunk so you can sit infront of your CORVETTE anytime anywhere.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      2015 Chevy SS
      11-21-2019 09:18 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      and these

...and these.

11-21-2019 12:45 PM #15
      Everything you read is pretty much true: reliable, fast and fun but also dated/depressingly black interior. The "leather" seats wear pretty poorly in the bolsters and butt area (notice there are no pics of them in that listing).

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-21-2019 12:49 PM #16
      Dont forget one of these for when you take it to cars & coffee

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 01:54 PM #17
      Well, it's ~430HP, weighs ~3,200Lbs, gets to 60 around 4.1-4.3 seconds, and runs the quarter miles in 12's.... It only costs $16,000 and parts are plentiful, plus it's easy to work on.

I'm not sure what decision there is to make?
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-21-2019 02:02 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Well, it's ~430HP, weighs ~3,200Lbs, gets to 60 around 4.1-4.3 seconds, and runs the quarter miles in 12's.... It only costs $16,000 and parts are plentiful, plus it's easy to work on.

I'm not sure what decision there is to make?
      This.

LS3 and a third pedal for $16k is hard to beat.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Vehicles
      2011 128i
      11-21-2019 02:08 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Good car.

However if you plan on tracking the car, I'd look elsewhere.
      whys that?
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Silverado, '14 Jetta 1.8t 5M
      11-21-2019 02:12 PM #20
      Personally not a fan of Silver cars, but other than that go for it

22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 02:14 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      whys that?
      From my understanding, and I could very well be wrong here, under constant hard track use you'll experience oiling and cooling issues.

I don't think the base C6 has a dry sump oiling system, and I believe the cooling for trans/oil/motor was lacking as well. The Z51 addresses most of this. *I think*
      Instagram - efrie004

23. 11-21-2019 02:18 PM #22

...and these.
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      and these

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Don't forget to get a folding chair in the trunk so you can sit infront of your CORVETTE anytime anywhere.

Times like this, I really wish I could find some of the photos from the Corvette Corrals I walked through during the IMSA season.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

24. 11-21-2019 02:32 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      From my understanding, and I could very well be wrong here, under constant hard track use you'll experience oiling and cooling issues.

I don't think the base C6 has a dry sump oiling system, and I believe the cooling for trans/oil/motor was lacking as well. The Z51 addresses most of this. *I think*
      The base C6 does not have dry sump- you need a Z06/ZR1/GS manual to have dry sump. Cooling is lacking for track use but easily addressed with an oil cooler and a higher capacity radiator. You won't need dry sump unless you're running DOT R or real slicks and aero. If you're willing to invest a few $$$$, you can definitely make it track ready:

External oil cooler- even the stock Z06 cooler isn't too bad, along with a higher capacity radiator (Ron Davis or Dewitts)
      SKF hubs- made for ZR1s but come with Delphi ABS for the pre-2011 cars, prevents wheel bearing issues
      Brakes- need AP Racing or Wilwood or whatever, depending on how much you track the car and how hard. For a novice/intermediate this is a waste of time, stock brakes will do okay
      Seats- you need real seats to hold you in- now that there are quick release brackets, no big deal to switch between one piece racing buckets and stock seats for street use
      Shocks- the stock shocks are terrible, wear out quickly- when the time comes, definitely invest in better dampers.

I'd run the car stock, other than racing pads and fresh fluid, then adjust as needed. The stock C6 is plenty capable and most drivers are not capable of pushing its envelope. Better to invest in seats, harnesses, HANS, harness bar, data acquisition and professional instruction.

25. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 02:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      The base C6 does not have dry sump- you need a Z06/ZR1/GS manual to have dry sump. Cooling is lacking for track use but easily addressed with an oil cooler and a higher capacity radiator. You won't need dry sump unless you're running DOT R or real slicks and aero. If you're willing to invest a few $$$$, you can definitely make it track ready:

External oil cooler- even the stock Z06 cooler isn't too bad, along with a higher capacity radiator (Ron Davis or Dewitts)
      SKF hubs- made for ZR1s but come with Delphi ABS for the pre-2011 cars, prevents wheel bearing issues
      Brakes- need AP Racing or Wilwood or whatever, depending on how much you track the car and how hard. For a novice/intermediate this is a waste of time, stock brakes will do okay
      Seats- you need real seats to hold you in- now that there are quick release brackets, no big deal to switch between one piece racing buckets and stock seats for street use
      Shocks- the stock shocks are terrible, wear out quickly- when the time comes, definitely invest in better dampers.

I'd run the car stock, other than racing pads and fresh fluid, then adjust as needed. The stock C6 is plenty capable and most drivers are not capable of pushing its envelope. Better to invest in seats, harnesses, HANS, harness bar, data acquisition and professional instruction.
      Thank you.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      2018 M3
      11-21-2019 02:56 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post

This is what I was looking for. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast