VWVortex.com - School me. 2008 Corvette.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School me. 2008 Corvette.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      11-21-2019 03:06 PM #26
      2008 Corvette totally maxes out the fun:cost ratio.

Buy the car. Skip all this thread's BS about clothing choices and spend every last dollar on tires and gas.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      11-21-2019 03:27 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

Buy the car. Skip all this thread's BS about clothing choices and spend every last dollar on tires and gas.
      x2

4. 11-21-2019 03:28 PM #28
      I had a 2008 c6 z51 manual. Great car with a couple things to consider

1. Interior plastics had this strange white tingle over time, like they were leaching something. Used enzit interior detailer and it would clean up, come back in a few months, clean up. Seems to be a known issue on the corvette forum

2. Rear end comes around abruptly. Ask me how I know

3. If you get a sick speed you have to perform some clutch fluid maintenance. Look it up, somehow clutch dust/shaving contaminates the fluid over time. Twice a year I would suck out the clutch fluid, add some, pump the clutch, suck it out. Repeat until the fluid is clear

4. I added an intake, full longtube headers, exhaust, and a tune and the car made 440 to the wheels. More than enough fun. These parts can be had cheap used on the corvette forum....

To sum it up these cars are great, fast, affordable and great used car buys....

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      11-21-2019 03:36 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by mpower22 View Post
      I had a 2008 c6 z51 manual. Great car with a couple things to consider

2. Rear end comes around abruptly. Ask me how I know
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

6. 11-21-2019 03:40 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      This is what I was looking for. Thanks
      I had an '05 for 10 years. Pretty much researched and learned about as much as possible about every aspect of the car. Did almost all of the work on my car by myself, only thing that I couldn't do was diagnose a bad EBCM because I didn't have a Tech2 nor any other type of diagnostic computer that could really get all of the factory diagnostic info out of the car.

They are very capable track cars, but consumables get very expensive fast, because you end up eating tires, brake pads and rotors (with the stock stuff), and fuel.

Oh- a couple other items-
      Valve springs should be upgraded for track use- the stock springs don't like to live at 6000 rpm for a long period of time.
      Power steering pump needs to be under-driven and replaced with a Turn One or similar pump that can handle high RPM, probably needs more cooling than stock (Z51 cars have an oil cooler, trans cooler and power steering cooler stock).

'08 and newer have an upgraded shifter and steering rack, makes them drive a little better than the '05-07 cars.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      11-21-2019 03:43 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post

Amen. I have one on my list for my next fun car - a C6 vette. The only other thing for OP to consider is you could get a C5 ZO6 that would be essentially track-worthy, but even worse interior wise. In terms of the worn out seat, just get Katskins and replace the leather - can even do contrasting (I did black with tan inserts through them, perforated).

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      11-21-2019 03:47 PM #32
      You can't go wrong with these

I just wish the GS/Z06 body wasn't a $7K+ premium. The wide fenders are a subtle but much needed change

Vehicles
      2011 128i
      11-21-2019 03:52 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      From my understanding, and I could very well be wrong here, under constant hard track use you'll experience oiling and cooling issues.

I don't think the base C6 has a dry sump oiling system, and I believe the cooling for trans/oil/motor was lacking as well. The Z51 addresses most of this. *I think*
      I appreciate your response, since the dude who originally made the post prolly wont
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      11-21-2019 03:57 PM #34
      You need to be pretty fast before any of these "issues" become real - most guys are not anywhere near that skill level.

Throw a big front sway bar on it (OEM C6 ZR1), a proper alignment, and some good tires and brake pads plus the obvious fresh fluids (M1 0w40 is fine) and up to date maintenance... That's all you need for most drivers.

If I still had a garage, an LS3 C6 would be on my short list for sure. There is no better car for the money.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 04:03 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      I appreciate your response, since the dude who originally made the post prolly wont

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      You need to be pretty fast before any of these "issues" become real - most guys are not anywhere near that skill level.

Throw a big front sway bar on it (OEM C6 ZR1), a proper alignment, and some good tires and brake pads plus the obvious fresh fluids (M1 0w40 is fine) and up to date maintenance... That's all you need for most drivers.

If I still had a garage, an LS3 C6 would be on my short list for sure. There is no better car for the money.
      And this is also true.

The issues discussed aren't going to present themselves at all on the street, regardless of how good of a driver you are. On the track? Sure, if you're capable of pushing the car that hard. I know there are drivers in TCL that are certainly capable of this, but I'd say 90% of us aren't going to be running into this stuff. Also worth noting, consumables are expensive, but how often are you realistically going to take it to the track? Two, three, maybe four times in a year? The cost at that level wouldn't be anything to scare you off.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      11-21-2019 04:08 PM #36

And this is also true.

The issues discussed aren't going to present themselves at all on the street, regardless of how good of a driver you are. On the track? Sure, if you're capable of pushing the car that hard. I know there are drivers in TCL that are certainly capable of this, but I'd say 90% of us aren't going to be running into this stuff. Also worth noting, consumables are expensive, but how often are you realistically going to take it to the track? Two, three, maybe four times in a year? The cost at that level wouldn't be anything to scare you off.

You need this in your life.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 04:16 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post

You need this in your life.
      That would be better than salvaged SS with auto.
      Instagram - efrie004

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      11-21-2019 04:50 PM #38
      Consumables also don't have to be expensive on a C5/C6 at track days. You can run OEM C5Z 17x9.5 wheels all around and keep tire costs quite reasonable. There is no need for 18+" tires or crazy expensive brake parts. The cars are pretty forgiving and easy on parts once they're set up and driven at 9/10.

Racing them is, of course, another story.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      11-21-2019 05:09 PM #39
      Well, it's ~430HP, weighs ~3,200Lbs, gets to 60 around 4.1-4.3 seconds, and runs the quarter miles in 12's.... It only costs $16,000 and parts are plentiful, plus it's easy to work on.

I'm not sure what decision there is to make?
      Agreed.

Plus, from the description and pics, it looks to be an excellent example of a 2008 Corvette. I just did an AT search for a manual 2008 within 400 miles of me and none were less $ than this one. Zero.

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      11-21-2019 05:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      Times like this, I really wish I could find some of the photos from the Corvette Corrals I walked through during the IMSA season.
      You're making me want to park there next year
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

17. 11-21-2019 06:06 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      You're making me want to park there next year

I found out that if you wear Tommy Bahama they let you hang out in the garage.

2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

18. 11-21-2019 06:11 PM #42
      Yeah at that pricepoint I would hit that like a drunk driver....only other minor thing to look for is driver seat wear as old white guys can' get in and out without wearing out the bolsters.....

19. 11-21-2019 07:54 PM #43
      No beef with a C6

20. Member
      11-21-2019 08:40 PM #44
      Damn OP, if you're serious you need to jump on that thing, lots of 'nice' car for the money. Plus the '08 cars have the better steering wheel compared to the early C6's. I see nothing wrong with this thing, and a new set of wheels/tires will do wonders so you won't have to go buy some NB shoes.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Vehicles
      2018 M3
      11-21-2019 08:55 PM #45
      I already had a look on Tuesday. Decent shape, not a garage queen. Drives well, stops well. After a little back and forth, we're at $16k. I'm suppose to see him either tomorrow after work or on Saturday to pick it up. Already checking pricing of Kooks long tubes and a procharger...

11-21-2019 09:34 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      whys that?
      Sorry I didn't answer. The wet sump LS3's have oiling problems and run hot when subjected to track-type driving even with the Z51 package.

Won't be a problem for most driving though.

23. 11-22-2019 01:51 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Sorry I didn't answer. The wet sump LS3's have oiling problems and run hot when subjected to track-type driving even with the Z51 package.

Won't be a problem for most driving though.
      It sounded like the OP was buying this for a track car, which is why I based my response on that intended purpose. LS2s also run hot- I wouldn't run a C6 on the track without additional oil and water cooling just to have some margin.

11-22-2019 02:14 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      It sounded like the OP was buying this for a track car, which is why I based my response on that intended purpose. LS2s also run hot- I wouldn't run a C6 on the track without additional oil and water cooling just to have some margin.
      Most of the LS's run hot, but the LS3 is an outlier among them. Like you mentioned though, its fixable.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      11-22-2019 02:44 PM #49
      Looks like the dash could use some more high-shine Armor All.

Seriously though, it's a good buy

26. 11-22-2019 03:20 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Most of the LS's run hot, but the LS3 is an outlier among them. Like you mentioned though, its fixable.
      How hot are you talking?

My '05 would see oil temps around 240F and coolant temps around 230F just running briskly through the countryside on a hot summer day. It would do the same sitting in heavy traffic in hot weather. After the Dewitts, it would be right around boiling for the coolant- 210-215F and oil temps around 200-210F, never get any hotter. Stock thermostat. Doesn't sound like much, but that was not running the car hard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast