VWVortex.com - Keep my Golf R or get...?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Keep my Golf R or get...?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R and 2007 Nissan Frontier SE
      11-20-2019 09:27 PM #1
      Ok, I'm having a mental problem. I have a'17 R that's paid for and only has about 9900 miles and garage kept. It's the primary car. I bought it new and purchased extended warranty when I got it. I'm disabled, and my wife works from home. I also have a Nissan Frontier that's also paid for. My wife doesn't drive so both the R and truck are moreso mine and not hers. She kinda let's me make the decisions when it comes to our cars. She likes the R. She even suggested we buy it back when we were looking at getting a new car. I used to own a '08 R32 so based off that, that's why she suggested another R.

Here's my issue. I still love my R. I'm 39, my wife is 37. Still relatively young. No kids, and we're not having kids. Recently something in my mind has had me thinking more luxury over straight sportiness. I also recently got a loaner '16 Touareg TDI Sport (they gave me a choice of a Touareg or Atlas...of course I picked the Touareg) when I had the Golf in for a repair. That Touareg was freakin nice. And torque from that diesel was fun. Also, for a midsize SUV it handled great imo. I really liked it. My wife also liked that more luxury feel in it. So it got me thinking about maybe trading the R for something else like a Touareg or Cayenne, or even a a used Audi or AMG of some sort. I'm generally anti-suv. But as I said, that Touareg was nice. I like and want power. Something in the 25-30k price range so I could make an even trade possible. As I already said, I love the R. I've always preferred sporty over anything else. Also, European or Asian, no american cars. I also would prefer AWD over front or rear drive. But I would settle for rear if needed. Am I getting old mentally and wanting luxury and my mind is changing maybe? I dunno it's weird. I mean geez, I still have subwoofers/systems in both the R and my truck. I know financially, the "smart" thing to do would be keep what I have since it's paid for

What do I do? Maybe I'm just crazy...I dunno.
      Currently Own: '17 VW Golf R with DSG and '07 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab Long-Bed 2WD
      Previously Owned: '09 VW CC Sport, '08 VW R32, '06 Nissan Altima SE-R, '99 Nissan Altima SE

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 VW Golf R - Tornado Red - APR Stage 2
      11-21-2019 08:52 AM #2
      If possible, try some test drives or rent a car you’re interested in for a weekend. Then compare to your R / Nissan.

See if it is just a temporary thing you’re going through and if the love is still there.

That can be a good sanity check.

4. 11-21-2019 09:03 AM #3
      Do you need to keep the frontier? I’d try to move that and keep the R personally. It seems that would be more of a lateral move than moving the R. Could be best of both worlds.

I had a 2017 Ridgeline before moving into the R. Huge difference in type of vehicle but I’ve always loved having an enjoyable car to drive. As a compromise my wife upgraded her Honda Fit to a Subaru crosstrek. This gave us a little more functionality for Home Depot Store runs and I still get my toy that’s capable for grocery store hauling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-21-2019 09:46 AM #4
      Personally, that seems like a strange transition from a relatively small, light sporty hatchback that delivers a high level of luxury, especially when compared to the others in its class.

Additionally, I find SUV's too big, too heavy and just boring to drive, even if they have a lot of power. You'll find others aren't so picky about driving dynamics and feel, and maybe they'll be on board such a transition.

Do what you want - but at your point in life and given the preferences you've stated, the last thing I'd be looking at are an SUV.

7. 11-21-2019 10:16 AM #5
      If you are lookng at a Cayenne, I'd also look at the Macan Turbo...they are comparable to the R in terms of performance and are really nice. The back seat is small but you don't have kids so that may not matter.

8. Member
      11-21-2019 11:30 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by crunch527 View Post
      If you are lookng at a Cayenne, I'd also look at the Macan Turbo...they are comparable to the R in terms of performance and are really nice. The back seat is small but you don't have kids so that may not matter.
      ditto
      even that, I mean a Golf R to a SUV? Though if I had to the Macan or SQ5 would be the replacement vs the biggest SUV's I could find. I do understand big SUV's depreciate like crazy, but still there is a reason behind it...

Dumbing it down for me, I would go with a S4 / S5 Sportback, but an AMG C43 or AMG C65 really don't hold their value well if you want something a bit more

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1984 VW Rabbit GTi / 2016 VW Golf R MT
      11-21-2019 01:34 PM #7
      I'm in the same situation with my 16 R. Love the car but wife in not a big fan. Considering trading in for 2019 S5 Sportsback. The S5 was obviously more luxurious in it's in interior and ride quality and HP, but it's interior space feels just like the R. After some research, both cars have almost identical legroom, headroom, shoulder room. The trunk space on the S5 Sportsback is huge compared to the R. The Audi dealer just called me this morning and said they would take 15% of MSRP on the S5 and give me want I want for my R...now the pressure is on me.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      11-21-2019 04:11 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by R32Raines View Post
      Ok, I'm having a mental problem. I have a'17 R that's paid for and only has about 9900 miles and garage kept. It's the primary car. I bought it new and purchased extended warranty when I got it. I'm disabled, and my wife works from home. I also have a Nissan Frontier that's also paid for. My wife doesn't drive so both the R and truck are moreso mine and not hers. She kinda let's me make the decisions when it comes to our cars. She likes the R. She even suggested we buy it back when we were looking at getting a new car. I used to own a '08 R32 so based off that, that's why she suggested another R.

Here's my issue. I still love my R. I'm 39, my wife is 37. Still relatively young. No kids, and we're not having kids. Recently something in my mind has had me thinking more luxury over straight sportiness. I also recently got a loaner '16 Touareg TDI Sport (they gave me a choice of a Touareg or Atlas...of course I picked the Touareg) when I had the Golf in for a repair. That Touareg was freakin nice. And torque from that diesel was fun. Also, for a midsize SUV it handled great imo. I really liked it. My wife also liked that more luxury feel in it. So it got me thinking about maybe trading the R for something else like a Touareg or Cayenne, or even a a used Audi or AMG of some sort. I'm generally anti-suv. But as I said, that Touareg was nice. I like and want power. Something in the 25-30k price range so I could make an even trade possible. As I already said, I love the R. I've always preferred sporty over anything else. Also, European or Asian, no american cars. I also would prefer AWD over front or rear drive. But I would settle for rear if needed. Am I getting old mentally and wanting luxury and my mind is changing maybe? I dunno it's weird. I mean geez, I still have subwoofers/systems in both the R and my truck. I know financially, the "smart" thing to do would be keep what I have since it's paid for

What do I do? Maybe I'm just crazy...I dunno.
      A used Q5 TDI would be a better option for your price range. It's larger than the R, but not as massive as the Touareg. It can also be sporty with some simple upgrades.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R (DSG)
      11-21-2019 04:13 PM #9
      I like and want power. Something in the 25-30k price range so I could make an even trade possible. As I already said, I love the R. I've always preferred sporty over anything else. Also, European or Asian, no american cars. I also would prefer AWD over front or rear drive. But I would settle for rear if needed. Am I getting old mentally and wanting luxury and my mind is changing maybe?
      That combo of power and luxury will be hard at 25-30k, even used (for a car that's comparable to the R's power to weight ratio). Can consider leasing a BMW X3 M40i if you really want that sort of power and luxury but it's a hard financial hit for something that you will return in 3 years. But if luxury is the main focus, test drive the Lexus NX and you should be pleasantly surprised. Also, you won't take a bath on it when you get bored since the resale value tends to be higher than the European counterparts. Or as SLYMK6 suggested, rent one for the weekend and see if you truly like it. I rented the R off Turo for a whole week before pulling the trigger just to see how it is to live with it and how fast I can get bored of it (still not).

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      11-21-2019 04:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by madpinoyr View Post
      I'm in the same situation with my 16 R. Love the car but wife in not a big fan. Considering trading in for 2019 S5 Sportsback. The S5 was obviously more luxurious in it's in interior and ride quality and HP, but it's interior space feels just like the R. After some research, both cars have almost identical legroom, headroom, shoulder room. The trunk space on the S5 Sportsback is huge compared to the R. The Audi dealer just called me this morning and said they would take 15% of MSRP on the S5 and give me want I want for my R...now the pressure is on me.
      You should look at a VW Arteon. Much larger inside than the S5, but not that much larger outside. Same engine as the R, just detuned (it can be chipped).
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

13. 11-21-2019 04:17 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_H View Post
      ditto
      even that, I mean a Golf R to a SUV? Though if I had to the Macan or SQ5 would be the replacement vs the biggest SUV's I could find. I do understand big SUV's depreciate like crazy, but still there is a reason behind it...

Dumbing it down for me, I would go with a S4 / S5 Sportback, but an AMG C43 or AMG C65 really don't hold their value well if you want something a bit more
      Right...interestingly though, I see many guys on the Macan forum that have come from Rs, or have Rs, or use Rs as a comparison...some even have both. Lots of nice sedans out there but hard to beat the utility of the hatch or an SUV.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-21-2019 04:38 PM #12
      A lot of good and interesting ideas from everyone. Let me point out, I'm not focused on SUVs...it just kinda happened from the Touareg, and know the Cayenne is basically the same thing. Chances are I will keep the R, but it is that itch just for something else every once in awhile. And to those asking about getting rid of the Frontier, that's a no. I wanted a truck for a long time and I sold my '09 VW CC to specifically get a truck. And that was just 3 months ago.

Note: The Macan idea is interesting, haven't thought of it.

Edit: I also love Panamera's
      Last edited by R32Raines; 11-21-2019 at 04:41 PM.
      Currently Own: '17 VW Golf R with DSG and '07 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab Long-Bed 2WD
      Previously Owned: '09 VW CC Sport, '08 VW R32, '06 Nissan Altima SE-R, '99 Nissan Altima SE

15. 11-22-2019 08:45 PM #13
      The only thing I'd upgrade to would be an Rs3. The R checks so many boxes as it is.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

16. 11-23-2019 09:14 AM #14
      A lot of good and interesting ideas from everyone. Let me point out, I'm not focused on SUVs...it just kinda happened from the Touareg, and know the Cayenne is basically the same thing. Chances are I will keep the R, but it is that itch just for something else every once in awhile. And to those asking about getting rid of the Frontier, that's a no. I wanted a truck for a long time and I sold my '09 VW CC to specifically get a truck. And that was just 3 months ago.

Note: The Macan idea is interesting, haven't thought of it.

Edit: I also love Panamera's
      Ive always been a fan of the Panamera. Seats for 4 is my one critique but I’d go there before any of the fill size Audi/BMW/Benz sedans. My buddy has a 911 S and is looking to get into a Panamera...says the 911 is a bit small. First world problems...

17. 11-23-2019 10:07 AM #15
      Genesis G70? Or its muscle-shirt wearing cousin (the Stinger)?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11-24-2019 03:46 AM #16
      I think I've decided to keep the R. What I'm encountering is since I don't drive a lot, I can sometimes go 4 or 5 days without driving at all. Then that's when my mind starts going... Then when I do drive the R, it reminds me why I bought it, and I forget all about everything else. Plus I've got another 7 years bumper to bumper warranty on it. So yea, I'm gonna keep the R unless something crazy happens. Yea I would love some other options, but just not a good idea right now.