VWVortex.com - Dad needs some quick help...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad needs some quick help...

1. 11-21-2019 05:37 PM #1
      Classic scenario...my 16yr old is about to get his license, and I need to get him a car.

I have the means to buy or lease him something. I was looking at the 2019 Jettas, but recently read about the transmission woes, so I'm back on thinking about a base Civic type of car.

Some of my friends tell me to buy him a POS first, since he might smack up his first car, but I'm just worried about buying an older high mileage car. I don't want him breaking down, and I also don't want massive repair bills, as those will fall on me. We have my son focusing on school right now, so he's not working yet.

Current plan is to try to get a great deal on a 2019. I've been contemplating a lease, as then a bank would take on the risk of diminished value if the car does have some fender benders during the 3 years. If after the lease is done, the car is in great shape and he loves it, we/he buys it for the residual and done. If the car is jacked, we give it back, see ya later.

Or....I can buy the new car outright and roll the dice on whether it will be worth anything later on.

I need to make a decision on this by the end of the weekend, so any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-21-2019 05:42 PM #2
      A lease on a new Corolla or Civic is ideal, imo, as they come with lots of driver assistance features as standard. Or buying a lightly used newer gen Corolla as it has those same driver aid features, but they do hold their value well.

Hyundai/Kias aren't bad options either, especially in terms of value. A higher trim Accent for instance is under $20K and has things like forward collision mitigation and blind spot monitors.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-21-2019 05:44 PM #3
      Also, there are very great leases to be had on a 2019 Toyota Tacoma, since their residual is insanely high.

5. 11-21-2019 05:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Also, there are very great leases to be had on a 2019 Toyota Tacoma, since their residual is insanely high.
      This is what I did. Truck (not crew cab) has limited space so no worries about a pack of friends distracting him. And you can use it when you need to haul anything. 4x4 insurance may be high. But a 2WD is perfectly capable 90% of the time for most.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-21-2019 05:54 PM #5
      When my daughter is old enough to drive I will definitely be getting her the newest, safest car I can find within my means. If you can afford to get a 2019 do it.

I'd look at Corolla, Civic, maybe a Golf?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-21-2019 05:55 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
      so any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
      I knew my parents could've bought me a car at 16 but deliberately refused. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but after a bunch of summer jobs I finally got my first car at 19, with 3 years of driving [their cars], personal growth, and hard work into it. I don't think anything beat the high of driving that car home (nor the low of checking my bank account afterward).

In hindsight, with the extra safety and responsibility that brought, I think it was one of the best parenting decisions they could have made for me. I realize not everyone has similar situations--your 16y/o could easily be more responsible and respectful than I was at that age--but you did say 'any' thoughts so there's mine.

8. 11-21-2019 05:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I knew my parents could've bought me a car at 16 but deliberately refused. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but after a bunch of summer jobs I finally got my first car at 19, with 3 years of driving [their cars], personal growth, and hard work into it. I don't think anything beat the high of driving that car home (nor the low of checking my bank account afterward).

In hindsight, with the extra safety and responsibility that brought, I think it was one of the best parenting decisions they could have made for me. I realize not everyone has similar situations--your 16y/o could easily be more responsible and respectful than I was at that age--but you did say 'any' thoughts so there's mine.
      I neglected to mention that driving one of the family cars isn't an option, as they are all too powerful for a young driver. Great suggestion though, and what I would do if I could.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-21-2019 06:07 PM #8
      I neglected to mention that driving one of the family cars isn't an option, as they are all too powerful for a young driver. Great suggestion though, and what I would do if I could.
      Oh I get it. And it pains me to recommend that knowing how badly I wanted a car back them...my roommates told me that about a week before taking delivery, I screamed "I'm getting a car!" in my sleep!

If you definitely need to get something I wouldn't hesitate much on a Jetta, particularly in a '19, which has the 6/72 warranty, decent size, and good safety rating. By the time the warranty is up, your child is 22 and if the car is even still around the transmission isn't your problem.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 06:09 PM #9
      Some of my friends tell me to buy him a POS first, since he might smack up his first car, but I'm just worried about buying an older high mileage car. I don't want him breaking down, and I also don't want massive repair bills, as those will fall on me. We have my son focusing on school right now, so he's not working yet.
      Most new drivers crash their first car... or at least bend it a little.

I wouldn't throw too much money at him at first.
      He needs to earn trust behind the wheel.
      That being said, you don't want a troublesome car.. or something old and less safe.
      I say a $10k Accord for now.
      Boring midsize sedan insurance, but is a decent car and quite safe and reliable.
      Not embarrassing at all.. quite a nice 1st car actually.
      https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=526662752

Leasing seems good until you realize you will have to fix everything that happens before turning it back in.
      Every single dent and scratch.....
      Last edited by BRealistic; 11-21-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 Jetta GLI PG ____________ 2018 Tiguan SEL PW ____________ 2019 Jetta S PW
      11-21-2019 06:15 PM #10
      with the year coming to a close, you should be able to get a 2019 jetta S for a song and a dance. i got a 2019 in January for 144 a month @ 12,000 miles a year. its the perfect beginner car, and i like it for a commuter. at 6/72 bumper to bumper will cover the car for the time your son owns it. the 1.4t is a decently fun pairing with the 6 speed and won't get him in a ton of trouble.

nice stereo and good driving ergonomics. i say give one another look. i bet you could buy/lease an S for a hell of a deal right now. or even a higher trim if you want to spend some more to get higher safety tech like blindspot monitors and whatnot.

throw some decent 18 inch OEM wheels on it and its actually a pretty cool looking car.

1+3+3=7

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-21-2019 06:18 PM #11
      If it's a lease why are you concerned about potential warranty item? It would be covered during the lease anyways..

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      11-21-2019 06:20 PM #12
      Why would you buy your kid a car?! You know he will crash it inside of a year. Why does a 16 year old even need a car, doesn't he have a bicycle? Let him buy his own car and wreck that one.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      11-21-2019 06:22 PM #13
      . I don't want him breaking down, and I also don't want massive repair bills, as those will fall on me. We have my son focusing on school right now, so he's not working yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

That being said, you don't want a troublesome car.. or something old and less safe.
      Boring midsize sedan insurance, but is a decent car and quite safe and reliable.

Leasing seems good until you realize you will have to fix everything that happens before turning it back in.
      This. Do you really want to make an insurance claim each time they incur small parking lot damage or if another kid at school keys their car?

You can find reliable cars for $8-10K that have an adequate level of safety and won't leave you feeling obligated to fix minor damage. Plus this sets their expectations for college and post-college where they might have to get used to owning used cars while their career is getting started.

Also, that is great that you are prioritizing him studying hard, but (no disrespect here) I think you are doing him a disfavor. There are many teenagers who have managed to balance school and work. I know I did when I was 16. Learning how to interact with other people in a work environment helps them mature, and they will also appreciate something that they earned themselves instead of things being just given to them.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Last edited by MontoyaF1; 11-21-2019 at 06:26 PM.
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 06:23 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jreed1337 View Post
      throw some decent 18 inch OEM wheels on it and its actually a pretty cool looking car.
      No. It still looks like a Jetta.

j/k.
      It does look good for the price range.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 G70 6MT; 2019 i3 REX; 2005 S2000; 2003 XC70; 1966 GTO
      11-21-2019 06:32 PM #15
      What you want is a Hyundai Ioniq. Slow, safe, super efficient, and currently leasing for well under $200/month because of ~$14k lease incentives.

FS: 17" wheels + snow tires, fits Chevy Volt, Bolt, Cruze, Sonic, Trax

Quote Originally Posted by DUBLUV401 View Post
      I am not here for grammer lesson's

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      11-21-2019 06:35 PM #16
      My first car was a Buick LeSabre drove it a while, sold it. Insuring it was actually more every 6 months then the car was purchased for. Bought a 98 Jetta W.E Edition. No ABS, Traction Control, crank windows, stick shift. It was slow and as manual as you could get. Ultra cheap on gas. Ended up smashing it up a bit 1300 bucks for random parts.

Not every kid smashes up their first cars, it might be the second one or third.. I came from a family of 3 boys. Oldest (smashed up mom's 97 Buick Regal 2 door it was t-boned), Middle (me) smashed up MY OWN VW due to icy conditions, Youngest smashed up mom's Ford Taurus dunno how I assume screwing around.

I'd recommend a few things. AWD is really nice if you life in a bad weather location. SNOW tires are the real winners for actual winter. Visibility out of new vehicles SUCKS compared to early vehicles. Honestly seems like visibility was replaced with nanny features like lane departure and blind spot monitoring. Defensive driving courses are well worth it. Ride height helps with visibility and honestly nervousness.

The larger, heavier vehicle tends to win in crash.

What ever you buy I'd have a low emotional attachment to it. I.e. Here's your brand new car!!.... why are you instagramming on the roof with muddy boots and studded jeans? I'd vote larger/utility sort of vehicle with a decent crash rating and general safety stuff. Proper tires/brakes/driving classes. Sedan's and small cars are ok too, really depends on where you life and how responsible the child is.
      Last edited by XClayX; 11-21-2019 at 06:42 PM.

18. Senior Member
      11-21-2019 06:41 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI 20v View Post
      What you want is a Hyundai Ioniq. Slow, safe, super efficient, and currently leasing for well under $200/month because of ~$14k lease incentives.

Was going to suggest this, we test drove a normal ioniq hybrid (limited?) a week ago and it was a nice car for the money. Their recent lease deals were looking quite good.

Vehicles
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      11-21-2019 06:43 PM #18
      The amount of threads of parents wanting to get their offspring a brand car is mind boggling to me. Yes, what I'm about to say doesn't need to apply to everyone.

I didn't get my license until I was 17. At that time, I shared, SHARED, my dad's 1988 GMC Sierra. This was 1998, so you do the math there. By shared, I mean I could use it to go to my job, when he had no need for it. Otherwise, I was hitching a ride, or riding my bike.

When I was 18, my dad helped me in that I had saved up 3000 dollars, and he matched me, and I bought myself a "new" car. I bought a 1996 GTI 2.0, in 1999, for 11.5k. So, I bought the car. I had car payments. I had car insurance (through my dad, i paid the difference in rates once he added me).

All of this adds up to someone who values what they have, gets taught responsibility, yadda yadda yadda. Not what you wanted to hear or were looking for. Too many kids out there are having things just given to them, and it shows up everywhere in their lives, in their work ethics, the way they treat material possessions, the way they treat people who have not had the same lucky growing up experience they had..

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 06:44 PM #19
      While I don't think you should make your kid drive a total sh*tbox for his first car if you have the means to get him something decent, I do think it's kind of silly to get them something brand new.

There are a lot of really nice cars between $6,000-10,000 that would be perfect for a 16 year old. If they dent it or scratch it who cares, if there's no lien you don't need to fix it, thus keeping your insurance rates down.

Accidents happen, there's no reason to let them happen in a brand new car. $10,000 will buy a really nice Civic/Accord/Corolla/Camry, it'll be safe, get decent mileage, and be plenty comfortable.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle
      11-21-2019 06:44 PM #20
      What would he like for a first car?

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-21-2019 06:44 PM #21
      My plan for when I'm in this situation is to find a 2-3 year old CPO Prius. Cheap to drive, cheap to maintain, proven 250k+ mile car, slow enough to not get the kid in trouble.

23. Senior Member
      11-21-2019 06:45 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      The amount of threads of parents wanting to get their offspring a brand car is mind boggling to me.
      So you are suggesting some sort of knock off?

24. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-21-2019 06:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      The amount of threads of parents wanting to get their offspring a brand car is mind boggling to me. Yes, what I'm about to say doesn't need to apply to everyone.

I didn't get my license until I was 17. At that time, I shared, SHARED, my dad's 1988 GMC Sierra. This was 1998, so you do the math there. By shared, I mean I could use it to go to my job, when he had no need for it. Otherwise, I was hitching a ride, or riding my bike.

When I was 18, my dad helped me in that I had saved up 3000 dollars, and he matched me, and I bought myself a "new" car. I bought a 1996 GTI 2.0, in 1999, for 11.5k. So, I bought the car. I had car payments. I had car insurance (through my dad, i paid the difference in rates once he added me).

All of this adds up to someone who values what they have, gets taught responsibility, yadda yadda yadda. Not what you wanted to hear or were looking for. Too many kids out there are having things just given to them, and it shows up everywhere in their lives, in their work ethics, the way they treat material possessions, the way they treat people who have not had the same lucky growing up experience they had..
      What do you care? It's not your money or your child. Not like this guy is saying he wants to buy his 16yr old a freaking McLaren 720s. Good god people. News flash just because you had a different upbringing doesn't mean everyone else to should have the same.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      11-21-2019 06:52 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

This is exactly the route I plan on taking.

My first car was like 5K. I totaled it. And then second one I got as well. (95 and 97 Jettas)

They both had ABS and airbags. No lane assist or whatever, but they were plenty safe, and they never needed any real serious work.

I think it's CRAZY to get a new driver a new car. Though, my best friend got a brand new RSX, and she just barely got rid of it a few years ago. Never wrecked it.

26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 07:10 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I think it's CRAZY to get a new driver a new car. Though, my best friend got a brand new RSX, and she just barely got rid of it a few years ago. Never wrecked it.
      Wait..
      Jennifer?
      Sorry... totally stupid to assume.. just seemed too coincidental.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast