VWVortex.com - Dad needs some quick help...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad needs some quick help...

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      11-21-2019 07:16 PM #26
      Get him a crapbox and an AAA membership.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      11-21-2019 07:18 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Wait..
      Jennifer?
      Sorry... totally stupid to assume.. just seemed too coincidental.
      Nope. Michelle.

That would have been something else.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Volvo XC60
      11-21-2019 07:20 PM #28
      In this day and age, I would probably try to find my kid the cheapest/most reliable car that had ESP in addition to the normal assortment of airbags and ABS.

Consumer Reports has a good list of those cars that it recommends for teenagers from both a safety and reliability standpoint, and it includes cars like the Ford Focus (09 and newer), Honda Civic (2012 and newer), Hyundai Elantra (2014 and newer), Mazda 3 (2011 and newer), Subaru Impreza (2015 and newer), Toyota Corolla (2010 and newer), and VW Jetta (2015 and newer). That’s obviously just an excerpt of their list, but you should be able to find most if not all of those cars for less than or around $10k. That should help your son get started while also not feeling too stressed out over damaging a brand new car.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 07:24 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Get him a crapbox and an AAA membership.
      In some areas... you just don't want to break down regardless of warranty coverage or AAA service.
      Like nighttime on the busy urban freeway.
      That can go towards safety.
      But if you live out in the country.. that's different.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 11-21-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      11-21-2019 07:28 PM #30
      This sounds similar to what my father did for me. I was in school, always told to focus on school, didn't have a job but did get one, wanted something I would appreciate but also safe (not powerful) and wouldn't break the bank. We wound up with a lightly used 2004 1.8t 6spd GLI with 17K miles for $16,500 in July of 2006.

My recommendation is to adopt a similar mindset. He doesn't need something brand new, looking 1-2 years old keeps you within a remaining warranty, while reducing cost and increasing available options. Make him do the searching, give him the parameters, see what he finds. For instance, my parameters were warranty, and maximum of $20K including all associated costs, other than that it was whatever I could come up with and then my father would say ok lets go look at it, or no.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-21-2019 07:29 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
      I need to make a decision on this by the end of the weekend, so any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
      His grades and your wallet should decide. If he is responsible, has good grades and you can afford it, go for a new car. What's the big deal if he crashes a $20k or a $7K car, he's getting yelled-at either way, insurance will pay and move on.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 07:33 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      His grades and your wallet should decide. If he is responsible, has good grades and you can afford it, go for a new car. What's the big deal if he crashes a $20k or a $7K car, he's getting yelled-at either way, insurance will pay and move on.
      What do you think the limit should be when replacing stupidly totaled new cars with another new car?
      Two, five, unlimited?
      Just curious.
      And yeah- it's the OP's money and kid.
      He can and will do what he wants.
      It's just.. this is a good learning opportunity for the kid.
      Treat this car well and then maybe later..

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2008 RX350
      11-21-2019 07:50 PM #33
      A several year old used car from a reliable brand, toyota, should be sufficient and have a low risk of breakdown if taken care of properly. Good opportunity to teach car maintenance to the new driver.

My son had a propensity to run into curbs thus destroying wheels, tires and suspension components. First time the hub was pushed so far rearward even the donut spare wouldn't fit. It gets old having to repeatedly replace car suspension components, wheels and tires. Fortunately the curb events did not involve other vehicles. The idea of purchasing a brand new car for a 16yo driver doesn't make sense to me, but others may have a different opinion. A lot depends on the maturity level of the new 16yo driver, some are quite mature and responsible, while others may not be trustworthy enough be independent drivers, YMMV.

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-21-2019 08:03 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      What do you think the limit should be when replacing stupidly totaled new cars with another new car?
      Two, five, unlimited?
      Just curious.
      And yeah- it's the OP's money and kid.
      He can and will do what he wants.
      It's just.. this is a good learning opportunity for the kid.
      Treat this car well and then maybe later..
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      If he is responsible, has good grades and you can afford it
      The OP should know his kid better than us and it's up to him to decide!

With my kids, it's a one shot deal, you total it, you don't have a car.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      11-21-2019 08:48 PM #35
      I'm in the camp of not getting a new car. I'm thinking $10-12K Camcordrolic of some flavor. The reliability should be there, as well as being a safe, solid car.

That said, my first car was a $1 67 Impala with not a straight body panel on it. My brother and I "split" it, so, technically, $0.50 apiece plus tax, title, license and registration fees.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 G70 6MT; 2019 i3 REX; 2005 S2000; 2003 XC70; 1966 GTO
      11-21-2019 10:27 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      The amount of threads of parents wanting to get their offspring a brand car is mind boggling to me. Yes, what I'm about to say doesn't need to apply to everyone.

I didn't get my license until I was 17. At that time, I shared, SHARED, my dad's 1988 GMC Sierra. This was 1998, so you do the math there. By shared, I mean I could use it to go to my job, when he had no need for it. Otherwise, I was hitching a ride, or riding my bike.

When I was 18, my dad helped me in that I had saved up 3000 dollars, and he matched me, and I bought myself a "new" car. I bought a 1996 GTI 2.0, in 1999, for 11.5k. So, I bought the car. I had car payments. I had car insurance (through my dad, i paid the difference in rates once he added me).

All of this adds up to someone who values what they have, gets taught responsibility, yadda yadda yadda. Not what you wanted to hear or were looking for. Too many kids out there are having things just given to them, and it shows up everywhere in their lives, in their work ethics, the way they treat material possessions, the way they treat people who have not had the same lucky growing up experience they had..
      There's always that one guy.
      FS: 17" wheels + snow tires, fits Chevy Volt, Bolt, Cruze, Sonic, Trax

Quote Originally Posted by DUBLUV401 View Post
      I am not here for grammer lesson's

13. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      11-21-2019 10:49 PM #37
      If you love your kids you should be shopping for a 2000's Buick Lucerne or Lacrosse and a AAA membership.

I'm sort of kidding and kind of serious at the same time.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      11-21-2019 10:49 PM #38
      I question, why is everyone so afraid of buying an older car for their new driver now adays when even 20 years ago, it was the norm?

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      11-21-2019 10:52 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      I question, why is everyone so afraid of buying an older car for their new driver now adays when even 20 years ago, it was the norm?
      Safety has come a long way.. is at least one valid reason.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      11-21-2019 11:08 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      More and more distracted drivers. More cars on the road in general. Crappier roads almost everywhere. More awareness of things that can go wrong thanks to social media and media in general. Etc.

I think for many it's less a matter that the car is new, but rather that it's safer than something older (usually), and will be more reliable (again, assuming we're talking about a Corolla, Taco, Civic, etc.), which means less of a worry for the parent. Each kid and each set of parents are different, and it's hard to judge.

I know of a friend with multiple kids, and the cars he's bought for them helped them buy, or not helped at all vary based on the kid, their attitude, contributions, etc.

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      11-21-2019 11:11 PM #41
      Don't be a fool, there are no safe cars, we all take our chances.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-21-2019 11:13 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DneprDave View Post
      Don't be a fool, there are no safe cars, we all take our chances.
      Soooooo.... My daughter should probably just drive a 1977 convertible Beetle for her first car? Should be as safe as a 2019 Accord by your standards.
      Instagram - efrie004

19. 11-21-2019 11:21 PM #43
      Thanks for all of the input, I REALLY appreciate it.

First, on the comments regarding what's 'right or wrong' to do based on your own experiences, that works sometimes, but not all of the time. Raising my son actually taught me that.

To the point on having a job and being a good student, my wife and I for the first time in years are seeing A's and B's in his report card. This took some time to dial in, but his grades are finally reflecting his smarts. We needed to prioritize that, and now he'll need to find some part time work. He's going to need gas money, right?

I'm now leaning towards finding a reliable type of car that has some years and miles on it. For a lot of reasons that really does make the most sense

It's interesting to me that almost everyone went with Japanese brands as their recommendations. Would it be a mistake to buy a 2015ish CPO Jetta? Those are in that price range and I'd get a 24mo bumper to bumper warranty. I have no problem buying a civic or accord or camry type of car, I just think the Jetta is cooler. But not if it will be a PITA.

Thanks again.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      11-21-2019 11:28 PM #44
      I'd be looking at a cruze but my dad worked at GM for 35 years so I'm not objective. If I were trying be objective, I'd probably go with a 14+ mazda3. Depreciation has hit them hard and they're good cars.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      JK & B9
      11-21-2019 11:39 PM #45
      Just curious, is your son interested and throwing hints at what he wants or is this a surprise?

CPO cars are good, but the warranty coverage has changed (shorter) since the market has grown for a pre-owned car. VW adds 2 years/24,000 miles of coverage to the original?

I'd throw in a Volvo S60 - their CPO warranties are pretty comprehensive and I don't think they have held their value too well. Actually, the sedan market you can find many good deals.

Good luck

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      11-22-2019 12:08 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I'd be looking at a cruze but my dad worked at GM for 35 years so I'm not objective. If I were trying be objective, I'd probably go with a 14+ mazda3. Depreciation has hit them hard and they're good cars.
      This is what I would get.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      11-22-2019 12:14 AM #47
      You know your own kid better than any of us do, but if you're doing a lease so it doesn't matter how he treats it, DO NOT tell him that!

In my experience the kids with nice cars tend to keep them nice and maybe that's a reflection of the parents expectations as well. When I was 16 one of the cars I had regular access to was 9 years older than me and one was 3 years younger. Equivalent today, a ~2006? But if you're going new I think Civic/Corolla is pretty easy choice, maybe involve the kid and they can learn a little about how the transaction is supposed to work? good luck!
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      11-22-2019 12:17 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Soooooo.... My daughter should probably just drive a 1977 convertible Beetle for her first car? Should be as safe as a 2019 Accord by your standards.
      Now you get it.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      11-22-2019 12:30 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      don't be silly. at least get a beetle sedan.
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-22-2019 07:52 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
      Thanks for all of the input, I REALLY appreciate it.

First, on the comments regarding what's 'right or wrong' to do based on your own experiences, that works sometimes, but not all of the time. Raising my son actually taught me that.

To the point on having a job and being a good student, my wife and I for the first time in years are seeing A's and B's in his report card. This took some time to dial in, but his grades are finally reflecting his smarts. We needed to prioritize that, and now he'll need to find some part time work. He's going to need gas money, right?

I'm now leaning towards finding a reliable type of car that has some years and miles on it. For a lot of reasons that really does make the most sense

It's interesting to me that almost everyone went with Japanese brands as their recommendations. Would it be a mistake to buy a 2015ish CPO Jetta? Those are in that price range and I'd get a 24mo bumper to bumper warranty. I have no problem buying a civic or accord or camry type of car, I just think the Jetta is cooler. But not if it will be a PITA.

Thanks again.
      If you are looking at an older Jetta I would go for one with the 2.5l engine. They have proven to be pretty bulletproof, fuel economy isn't terrible, and there is enough power, but not so much that he could get in too much trouble.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast