VWVortex.com - Need a "new" car and I have no clue what to get. Advice welcome! PART 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a "new" car and I have no clue what to get. Advice welcome! PART 2

Vehicles
      18 Golf R (his) | 18 Expedition XLT (hers)
      11-21-2019 11:02 PM #1
      Last year I sought out TCL advice here on replacing my 16 year old Elantra and ended up with a new Golf R. I'm back a year later as our 2005 Honda Odyssey is getting long in the tooth and with this search I feel less equipped on knowing what my options are.

What I know:
      - This will be wife's daily driver hopefully for the next 5-10 years. That means our 3 kids will grow from elementary school to middle/high school age with it.
      - The minivan life has been great for the last 7 years however I don't think we'll go down that route again because of towing capacity. This will be play a large role in what we choose next. Our hope in the next year or so is to get a travel trailer so we can do as much camping/RVing year round as possible. I think we'll probably be looking for something that can tow 4,000-6,000 lbs but I'm still looking into into what trailer options are for us.
      - The last point basically means a crewcab pickup or 3 row SUV (more likely) is what we'll look at. Gas mileage is always nice but seeing as the Odyssey only gets about 18mpg most anything newer should meet/beat that.

Some nice to haves would be: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Memory Seats, Power Liftgate, Reliable and Long-lasting (more than just nice to have), 2nd/3rd row interior space because of 3 kids and a couple dogs.

If you know these things and assume that the towing capability is a big key what are my options. Realistically I'm assuming buying new or slightly used will have me spending 30-50k, right? Full-size seems out of my budget unless I more than a couple years used back but then mid-size might not meet key desires.

As a Hyundai guy for 25+ years I'm all for the Korean twins so I know people will say the Telluride is hot choice but from my limited research if we get a trailer on the larger size of my range I'm not sure it does the trick.

So what say you TCL?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Forester 2.5XT. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel
      11-21-2019 11:32 PM #2
      Dodge Durango has a towing capacity in the 8000#+ range.
      Ford F150 Ecoboost can tow 12000# I think.
      I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a towing capacity of 7200 but no third row seating. I have the Diesel engine and got the green diesel engineering tune. Its pretty badass now for a diesel suv. I do use it to tow a 5000# trailer and it does the job.
      These are all just off the top of my head. I'm betting there are quite a few options that meet your criteria.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-21-2019 11:40 PM #3
      Is rated 5k lbs enough? The Atlas is a pretty decent jack-of-all trades master-of-none car and fits in your budget and most if not all of your needs. I wouldn't expect it to be totally trouble free but the '19s still have the 6/72 warranty.

A truck would be better at towing, and other 3-rows would likely be more reliable, but I can't think of something that strikes a better balance between mini-van duties and tow duties than an Atlas within a reasonable budget. Sequoia might be an option depending on what you need for, well, options. There's also Durango, Tahoe/Suburban etc.

What size/weight travel trailer are you looking at? Anything too big and I would probably start looking at two vehicles TBH. 3-row people moving and heavy towing are a little bit at odds with one another.

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      11-21-2019 11:43 PM #4
      A newer Tahoe seems to check all those boxes. Can be had between $30K and $40K for a nice one with low miles.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      11-21-2019 11:46 PM #5
      This says Tahoe or Expedition to me so you have a little headroom on weight/capacity. The Expedition has a 6000-lb tow rating, or 9300 if you get it with the towing package (comes with a 3.73 rear end).

I poked around cars.com and the XLTs (unheated cloth seats w/o memory, no power gate) are $37k which seems pretty reasonable - but it's $5k extra for the lux pkg with the power gate/leather/heated seats/etc. and $1500 for the two pkg so they're mid/upper $40s.

It didn't seem common to have the lux and towing packages but here is one sorta close by
      https://www.bobutterford.net/new/For...ef71a38a2c.htm
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      11-22-2019 12:15 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Is rated 5k lbs enough? The Atlas is a pretty decent jack-of-all trades master-of-none car and fits in your budget and most if not all of your needs. I wouldn't expect it to be totally trouble free but the '19s still have the 6/72 warranty.

A truck would be better at towing, and other 3-rows would likely be more reliable, but I can't think of something that strikes a better balance between mini-van duties and tow duties than an Atlas within a reasonable budget. Sequoia might be an option depending on what you need for, well, options. There's also Durango, Tahoe/Suburban etc.

What size/weight travel trailer are you looking at? Anything too big and I would probably start looking at two vehicles TBH. 3-row people moving and heavy towing are a little bit at odds with one another.
      I've checked out the Atlas at the dealerships. Can't say I was blown away but definitely could be on the list. I think you make a good point that we're not putting ourselves in an ideal situation for trying to find a daily driver (she doesn't currently work so technically it wouldn't be a commuter). I think ultimately what might happen though is we'll pick whatever vehicle is best for us, budget and driving wise, and then have to choose a trailer that it can handle. More on that on the next response...

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      It didn't seem common to have the lux and towing packages but here is one sorta close by
      https://www.bobutterford.net/new/For...ef71a38a2c.htm
      Thanks. I was thinking Expedition might be the best overall option for us but what my wife doesn't realize/want was something bigger than her Odyssey. She wants the trailer but I think until we really go looking she thinks some 20' 2.5k lb trailer is going to work for us but I think ultimately in a a couple years something like that just won't fit our family. So I've let her know if she wants a trailer we at least need to plan our vehicle purchase with that in mind because I'm not keen (right now) on the idea of getting some interim option. Having a car for less than 5-7 years kinda goes against my DNA at this time.
      Last edited by Thrice; 11-22-2019 at 12:21 AM.

8. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      11-22-2019 12:54 AM #7
      You want space?
      Excursion
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      11-22-2019 01:22 AM #8
      Tows 7,500.
      Seats 6
      Fastish
      Lockable Storage
      $40k.

Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      11-22-2019 01:28 AM #9
      What the crap is that thing?!

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      11-22-2019 01:29 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
      The new Tesla truck.

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      18 Tiguan SEL-P and 19 Atlas SEL-P
      11-22-2019 01:41 AM #11
      We just went shopping with almost the exact same needs. We have a boat and we needed 5K+ tow capacity. We were looking to get out of the full size truck as it is not very good at commuting duties. We were very interested in the new Korean SUVs but what we found was that even though they are rated at 5K lbs that’s not really what you get. The factory installed hitches are not even rated high enough to handle the tongue weight typical of a 5K lbs trailer. Also they do not offer a 7 pin connector at all so for those reasons we moved on. After much research and many test drive of everything from the Explorer to the Audi Q7, we came down to the Atlas and the Durango. My wife has been a loyal Chrysler owner for some time now and wanted to stay in the family but had already owned a Durango a few years ago and nothing had changed since then so it was just kinda like buying the same thing over again. We ended up getting her a 2019 Atlas SEL Premium. It checked all the boxes for us and with the 6 year warranty that is more than enough to get us through our typical 4 year vehicle lifespan. We have not towed with it yet as the boat is put up for the winter but I have no doubt it will be up to the task. We are very happy with it so far.
      Marc

2014 GLI Edition 30 DSG/Nav

Vehicles
      '13 ES 350; un Altima llamado Manuel
      11-22-2019 02:05 AM #12
      I'd look into a used Pilot or Highlander

14. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-22-2019 02:26 AM #13
      Thanks. I was thinking Expedition might be the best overall option for us but what my wife doesn't realize/want was something bigger than her Odyssey. She wants the trailer but I think until we really go looking she thinks some 20' 2.5k lb trailer is going to work for us but I think ultimately in a a couple years something like that just won't fit our family. So I've let her know if she wants a trailer we at least need to plan our vehicle purchase with that in mind because I'm not keen (right now) on the idea of getting some interim option. Having a car for less than 5-7 years kinda goes against my DNA at this time.
      Seems like you've got a good attitude about it, leaving room is a great idea. Technically a Macan could haul my 2 sleds+trailer, but when I'm driving through the snowy mountain roads with them I'm sure glad I have a Cayenne to do it. And even though I only wanted it for sleds I've towed heavier stuff a few times too.

For better or worse, tow vehicles can be a little bit of a "if you build it they will come" situation...handy, but I hope you don't have many friends that need to move either.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      11-22-2019 08:31 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      It's all fun and games until it gets a computer virus (OTA) and locks you inside with the heat on max and the windows inoperable

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      11-22-2019 09:32 AM #15

FWIW, I've driven the new Expedition around the block a few times that my buddy bought for his wife and it does not drive big. Accurate and light steering and with the boost from the turbos it feels really light and agile on its feet compared to its actual size. You might have her try one for a test drive before ruling it out.

I'm currently driving an '02 Escalade and it's been perfect for my family in this situation - not towing a camper but I tow crappy broken project cars around with it and we've done several cross-country road trips with my 3 kids - just enough space, very comfortable, plenty of power, plenty of towing capacity, and acceptable economy (Mine is tuned and gets anywhere from 16-20 depending on load and speed) on the highway. So I'd also be in the Tahoe camp to at least try one, but the older ones definitely drive like trucks, and she might not like that.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

17. 11-22-2019 09:58 AM #16
      The only thing I have to offer is a general lesson I've learned in a moderately long enough life:

give yourself enough headroom in the specs. Don't solve today's problem; solve tomorrow's likely problem.

"I'd love to get that other trailer, but dammit, we'd have to get a new tow vehicle too..."

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      11-22-2019 11:27 AM #17
      Best reaction so far

Vehicles
      11-22-2019 11:39 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Best reaction so far
      LOL. I got into work today and my boss was like, have you seen the new Tesla truck? To which I replied "You mean the weird Trapezoid thing?! Yeah it looks like someone from the 80s envisioning what a future car looked like (a la a Robocop or some Mad Max truck)".

Once you get past the looks the specs seem to be pretty impressive but I'm still in the initial mouth agape seeing it for the first time phase.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Ford GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive, 2010 VW Golf
      11-22-2019 11:53 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      It's all fun and games until it gets a computer virus (OTA) and locks you inside with the heat on max and the windows inoperable
      Oh, don't worry about that... The windows are breakable.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      11-22-2019 12:06 PM #20
      Matt Train has a specific spec Highlander that tows his fairly large boat.

Personally, I'd look very hard at the Durango. I'd want as much headroom as possible in my tow specs and the Durango is spec'd at 6,200 to 8,700 lbs depending on the configuration. And for a 3rd row SUV, the larger overall size will be great to have. They are priced right and often have big discounts so you should be able to get a nice Hemi, AWD version within your budget.

I know Tom enjoys it as a camper tow vehicle as well.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      11-22-2019 12:13 PM #21
      The Highlander is rated for 5000 - it would be fine for local use like putting the boat in the water but I wouldn't want to do long distances/tow a camper through the mountains with one.

It's a shame the hybrid Tundra isn't out yet.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

23. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      11-22-2019 12:13 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Tows 7,500.
      Seats 6
      Fastish
      Lockable Storage
      $40k.

LOL thank you came in here for this

24. 11-22-2019 12:48 PM #23
      Sounds like you’re the perfect buyer for a Expedition. You could get a mid spec base model or a used platinum within your range.

Vehicles
      2010 Subaru Forester, 2013 VW Golf
      11-22-2019 01:09 PM #24
      I'd go for the latest TCL bandwagon vehicle and vote for a Lexus GX 460.

V8 - Easily tows.

But it drops the ball on AA/Apple Car play.
      Rear is the swing out tail gate rather than a hatch...but, it does have a rear window that opens.

Lexus reliable.

Lexus is running 0% financing right now for 60 mos on them and if you check out the club lexus boards, folks seem to be getting a
      decent chunk of change off of MSRP so you may be able to hit the under $50k goal...or go CPO.

Vehicles
      11-22-2019 01:09 PM #25
      Some from the replies right now without doing any more research it's looking like the following will probably be my best options considering the specific reqs I'm looking at.

In order of potential tow capacity:
      1. GM twins
      2. Expedition
      3. Durango (love a SRT but not as practical )
      4. Atlas/Highlander/Korean twins

The first three I'd probably be able to look for low-mileage user options, however finding one spec'd appropriately would mean searching harder. Aesthetically I'm not fond of the Atlas but I don't think the wife minds and if it checks boxes than I'm not gonna complain. My perceived size of the Atlas/Durango are more ideal from an everyday vehicle perspective but but the Tahoe/Expedition doesn't appear spec wise that much bigger and as mentioned above the Ford drives well.

My biggest hesitation with the Durango, much like many other Dodge models (partly why I didn't consider a Challenger for myself) is these models are now almost 10 years old and I know that they've had some updates but my uninformed opinion is they're kinda outdated. Am I off-base there? If I got sit in/drive it will I really notice? I'm not much of a dash stroker, I mean I had a Neon SRT4 and '02 Elantra for 15 years, but now that I've had the R and since we had the Touring model for 7+ years we're kinda used to certain amenities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast