VWVortex.com - Is anyone else fed up with antiquated US automotive regulations? (rant)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 89

    Thread: Is anyone else fed up with antiquated US automotive regulations? (rant)

    1. Member IridiumB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      3,585
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      11-22-2019 02:37 AM #1
      Disclaimer: Yes I'm Canadian, but our cars are exactly the same as US cars minus some minor differences and the speedometers/climate displays

      I mean America as an automotive market should be this incredible place where the latest automotive technology and style is present from automakers around the world. What do we get instead? Diluted crap in a package deal that is more or less "take it or leave it".

      I mean setting aside preferences in vehicle types (as in, I understand why wagons don't sell as well as CUVs, etc), what the hell makes us so different in needs/wants than Europeans? Or Asians? Or Africans? Australians? Because they all have ROW vehicles that have every conceivable option available, yet here we are treated like a juvenile market where we let others decide for us.

      Matrix dynamic LED headlamps? Whoa! Witchcraft! Stop and Go assist from Audi? Absolutely not! Digital side mirrors? Get out of here!

      I've been following the LA Autoshow and have seen how the RS Q8 has a feature that can disable the engine entirely while coasting, that won't be made available in the US. The new A8's stop and go traffic assistant is also blocked. The new eTron coupe has an incredible new headlight technology that will inevitable also be made null for the US market in favour of static, basic adaptive lamps. These aren't even substantial hardware upgrades that cost a lot of money, just software crap purposefully blocked in our markets for the sake of conforming to some stupid laws that hardly ever change.

      I'm not trolling, but I do wonder. Is it always going to be like this? Are we always going to celebrate little victories when a wagon makes it over here, or a diesel, or some form of technology that the rest of the world freely can enjoy while we make up baseless excuses why it's not needed?

      Because frankly I've had enough

      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

      If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Somewhere North of Lyon Mountain.
      Posts
      22,695
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      11-22-2019 02:56 AM #2
      Make Chevrolet Great Again.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    4. 11-22-2019 06:26 AM #3
      It’s not so rosy here down under sadly. No manual golf r/GTI. Porsche 911 starts at 176k USD. BMW M5 is the same price.


      Ben
      Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
      Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone

    5. Member Galrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      3,411
      11-22-2019 08:48 AM #4
      I don't understand your point about diesel. Europe is increasingly moving away from that crap too and it is certainly not something many here "enjoy".

    6. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      York, PA
      Posts
      7,415
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      11-22-2019 09:26 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      I don't understand your point about diesel. Europe is increasingly moving away from that crap too and it is certainly not something many here "enjoy".
      Is anyone else fed up with antiquated IridiumB6 talking points? (rant)














    7. Member ohiodub_99.5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2007
      Location
      Cinci
      Posts
      10,622
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack, 2018 Tiguan
      11-22-2019 10:04 AM #6
      I would assume that with a little coding via VAG-Com, most of those features you say are "disabled" could be unlocked for use...
      /| OMGHAI |\

    8. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      33,825
      11-22-2019 10:11 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      the RS Q8 has a feature that can disable the engine entirely while coasting, that won't be made available in the US.
      The Toyota Prius has done that since 2001, plus pretty much every car with electronic fuel injection has turned injectors off and GM for a while had a system to close all the valves of the engine during coasting, which effectively reduces the losses to just barely above zero while fuel usage is zero. There's absolutely nothing special about not using fuel or having friction when coasting and no federal laws against it.

      As for everything else - road speeds and in general the fatalities per capita are higher in the US, so the country is slower to adopt changes that may or may not actually alter safety. Is stability control standard on all cars in the EU? That's a technology that was proved to save tons of lives and the US made it standard in a big hurry. What about tire pressure monitoring? Same deal: saves lives, made law years ago in the USA. The US was also way ahead of Europe on vehicle emissions all the way up until Euro6 went into effect although I could swear that for diesel, the US regs are still cleaner.

      What it seems is that you're picking and choosing the things you want to see and ignoring everything else. That's pretty much a textbook case of bias.

    9. Member rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      10,061
      Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      11-22-2019 10:20 AM #8
      any updates to NHTSA led matrix decision?

    10. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      23,512
      11-22-2019 10:26 AM #9
      Which fmvss/cmvss regulation is preventing the stop and go too?


      As noted the matrix lights are already being looked into as are the mirrors I believe

      Engine disabling is an interesting one but as noted other cars do it so likely not related to a US regulation.

      If you'd like the regulations changed please let us know which ones are preventing these things to be allowed so we can have a proper discussion

    11. 11-22-2019 10:31 AM #10
      I'd be thrilled if we could just get rid of the idiotic amber reflectors . . .

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2015
      Location
      Cleveland, OH
      Posts
      1,151
      Vehicles
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      11-22-2019 10:46 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I'd be thrilled if we could just get rid of the idiotic amber reflectors . . .
      HERE HERE
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

    13. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      13,208
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      11-22-2019 11:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I'd be thrilled if we could just get rid of the idiotic amber reflectors . . .
      No. Save the ambers.
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

    14. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,562
      Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      11-22-2019 11:24 AM #13
      I just wish we could let us import any *new* car that meets comparable standards, which I assume are damn near identical to Euro 6.

      Fiesta ST
      Golf R Wagon
      Alpine A110
      C-Class wagon (available in Canada)

      And if it doesn't meet safety standards, why can't we take the risk? It's no different than riding motorcycles.
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 11-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.

    15. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      23,512
      11-22-2019 11:33 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I just wish we could let us import any *new* car that meets comparable standards, which I assume are damn near identical to Euro 6.

      Fiesta ST
      Golf R Wagon
      Alpine A110

      And if it doesn't meet safety standards, why can't we take the risk? It's no different than riding motorcycles.
      It's rarely safety standards that are related to the occupants that is the problem and I'm fact 2/3 of your examples would not be a problem and their choice not to let them has nothing to do with safety standards.

    16. Member Dirty Hatch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 16th, 2006
      Location
      Chandler,AZ
      Posts
      1,275
      Vehicles
      06 4runner
      11-22-2019 11:35 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I just wish we could let us import any *new* car that meets comparable standards, which I assume are damn near identical to Euro 6.

      Fiesta ST
      Golf R Wagon
      Alpine A110

      And if it doesn't meet safety standards, why can't we take the risk? It's no different than riding motorcycles.
      Because of insurance reasons and the fact that our country is run by lawyers. You get in an accident where you are at fault and they other party or someone who was riding in the car with you finds out the vehicle did not meet the safety standards, expect a lawsuit. Hell the accident my Wife got into last year where she was at fault is probably going to cost our insurance company at least $250K, due to other party having an older car and suffered a serious injury. Plus, my Wife failed to obey a traffic law, so I assume the other party is getting some extra pain and suffering.

    17. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      33,825
      11-22-2019 12:04 PM #16
      Nobody buys any of those 3 cars. Renault? They don't even do business here. Golf R Wagon? Please, VW is barely keeping the regular Golf R alive and already had to kill the 2-door model. Fiesta ST? Try as they did, Ford couldn't sell enough Fiestas to justify even selling the car here at all. All 3 of the examples given above are basically fantasyland.

    18. Member Car Problems's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2014
      Posts
      2,741
      Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      11-22-2019 12:04 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I'd be thrilled if we could just get rid of the idiotic amber reflectors . . .
      I was gonna add this. I'm pretty sure 99% of the population doesn't even notice the color difference so why are manufactures forced to add this ugly crap? A blinking light is a blinking light, it can only mean one thing.

    19. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,562
      Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      11-22-2019 12:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      It's rarely safety standards that are related to the occupants that is the problem and I'm fact 2/3 of your examples would not be a problem and their choice not to let them has nothing to do with safety standards.
      New Fiesta hasn't been US crash tested, neither has a C-Class wagon, so yes, it sort of is. I've no doubt either would be fine.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hatch View Post
      Because of insurance reasons and the fact that our country is run by lawyers. You get in an accident where you are at fault and they other party or someone who was riding in the car with you finds out the vehicle did not meet the safety standards, expect a lawsuit. Hell the accident my Wife got into last year where she was at fault is probably going to cost our insurance company at least $250K, due to other party having an older car and suffered a serious injury. Plus, my Wife failed to obey a traffic law, so I assume the other party is getting some extra pain and suffering.
      Yet we still allow people to build kit cars and license, insure, and drive them on public roads.

      You can legally lift your 4Runner which undoubtedly changes crash performance and physics.

      We can import 25yr old cars that never met any US regulations.

      There are already plenty of scenarios where the same amount of risk is present in our country.

    20. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,562
      Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      11-22-2019 12:11 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Nobody buys any of those 3 cars. Renault? They don't even do business here. Golf R Wagon? Please, VW is barely keeping the regular Golf R alive and already had to kill the 2-door model. Fiesta ST? Try as they did, Ford couldn't sell enough Fiestas to justify even selling the car here at all. All 3 of the examples given above are basically fantasyland.
      Err, this is exactly my point.

      I'm not asking manufacturers to go through the hassle of marketing, distribution, and potentially having them linger on dealer lots.

      Make it possible for the consumer to buy one order-only.

    21. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      23,512
      11-22-2019 12:16 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      New Fiesta hasn't been US crash tested, neither has a C-Class wagon, so yes, it sort of is. I've no doubt either would be fine.


      So no version of the car is legal, not just the sport version that was presented.. got it. Do you have an actual point to make then?

    22. Member focalBlur's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2003
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI/PP, 2005.5 VW Jetta(RIP)
      11-22-2019 12:26 PM #21
      I want to know why automatic headlight leveling has not been made mandatory on any truck with a tow package?

      Not only would this improve vision for the drivers but everyone else would not have to be blinded when a trailer is in tow

      Another one is turn signals, we all know about Amber but we also have an outdated regulation they says a taillight has to be a certain size with no mention of actual visibility or light output. This is why the Audi sequential trail light look silly in the USA. They don't pass here because the US counts each LED and says they are too small

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

    23. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2000
      Location
      Shepherdstown, WV
      Posts
      23,512
      11-22-2019 12:28 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by focalBlur View Post
      I want to know why automatic headlight leveling has not been made mandatory on any truck with a tow package?
      For 2 days a year? waste of time.

    24. Member focalBlur's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2003
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      2,215
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI/PP, 2005.5 VW Jetta(RIP)
      11-22-2019 12:33 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      For 2 days a year? waste of time.
      Plenty of people use their trucks to tow more than twice a year.
      Would also be useful when hauling in the bed of the truck

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

    25. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      33,825
      11-22-2019 12:34 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Make it possible for the consumer to buy one order-only.
      That's impossible. The moment a car comes to the US, it is subject to all laws including support, dealership network, publishing repair manuals, making parts available, diagnostic resources, paying for safety recalls, and so on. They're not going to let 12 people special order a car that then costs them $5 million a year to build infrastructure for nationwide. Just move to Europe if you want European cars. It's not that hard.

    26. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      18,298
      Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      11-22-2019 12:34 PM #25
      Can we just respect Euro and JDM emissions, lighting and safety regulations? They're close enough, especially for variations of vehicles that are already sold here, like the LC Prado and the Lexus GX. I don't necessarily think we'd want to fully relax things and allow Datsun Gos and Hyundai Atos and stuff like that, but I would love to import a Suzuki Jimny that has airbags and stability control and crumple zones. Or a 3-door LC Prado.

      Obviously you'd be on your own with no manufacturer support for some parts but it doesn't stop people from importing gray market electronics, cell phones, camera equipment, etc etc etc.

      No to this


      Yes to this
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •