VWVortex.com - Is anyone else fed up with antiquated US automotive regulations? (rant)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is anyone else fed up with antiquated US automotive regulations? (rant)

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      11-23-2019 09:05 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Pretty much.

I've basically converted my Golf R to Euro spec,
      Same here and about to start the process all over again

2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      11-23-2019 10:29 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post
      I agree - Even in the USA, Cali thinks they know better than the Feds and now a manufacturer has to make two versions for the same country.

In computers, we embrace technology, yet when it comes to cars, govt will bollix it up.
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I didn't even think of that, but you're right. When the feds this year tried to end California's exemption, California retaliated against everyone they could, threatening lawmakers, the president, federal officials, and even banning automakers from selling their cars to any governmental bodies in the state unless California gets their way. I get that CA is 1/8th the population, but the very reason why the USA is a republic and not a direct democracy is to stop a single state or small number of states from just forcing their will upon the rest of the nation. It's working as designed and yet that's not popular with the minority that want to force their will upon the rest of us. Undoubtedly this is a great thing for the peace and prosperity of the nation and future stability.
      That is usually the exception, not the rule. CARB state represent a big enough chunk of the country that most manufacturers simply make 50 state compliant vehicles.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      11-24-2019 04:44 AM #78
      but hey.. at least you can change the tire sizes your car has on it without having to run down and register it with the authorities..

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      11-24-2019 09:00 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      Strict rules for new cars, yet I am free to bring in any 25 yr old Communist era death trap, no problem.
      i find it funny to read things like this in the land of jacked up 2500kg++ pickups, where you subject everyone on the road to your choices, as opposed to your 30 year old "death trap" compact where you only subject yourself (and passengers who choose to ride along) to your choices.

You should be able to import any car you choose as long as your bumper height is below the legal limit. (I mean come on, for the number of personally imported cars out there...)

I find it weird af how one can't simply import a Focus ST wagon if they choose to.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

6. Senior Member
      11-24-2019 09:26 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post

I find it weird af how one can't simply import a Focus ST wagon if they choose to.
      You can, there is a process to legally do it. There are 100s of cars on the approved list.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      11-24-2019 09:42 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      Strict rules for new cars, yet I am free to bring in any 25 yr old Communist era death trap, no problem.
      We don't want people to be driving around unsafe. Safety is of utmost priority and everything from airbags to rear cameras must be federally mandated in a zero-tolerance manner in order to protect our citizens from harm. People can't be allowed to ride around on unsafe deathtraps, risking their own lives. I think that's a consistent standard that everyone should be able to get behind.

Vehicles
      11-24-2019 10:00 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      You can, there is a process to legally do it. There are 100s of cars on the approved list.
      um, maybe you're teaching me something here, but isn't there a 25 year wait time for the USA, 15 year for Canada?

...unless you pay to crash-test, emissions test and apply a very thick book of motor vehicle requirements?

edit: i think you're referring to a car which has an equivalency here, such as a Honda Accord sedan with a 2.0T. I think body and drivetrain need to be identical otherwise they need the crash and emissions approval on top of the thick book of requirements applied...in which case one would just get the Canadian/American one at the dealer for far cheaper.
      Last edited by worth_fixing; 11-24-2019 at 10:03 AM.

9. Senior Member
      11-24-2019 10:21 AM #83
      um, maybe you're teaching me something here, but isn't there a 25 year wait time for the USA, 15 year for Canada?

...unless you pay to crash-test, emissions test and apply a very thick book of motor vehicle requirements?

edit: i think you're referring to a car which has an equivalency here, such as a Honda Accord sedan with a 2.0T. I think body and drivetrain need to be identical otherwise they need the crash and emissions approval on top of the thick book of requirements applied...in which case one would just get the Canadian/American one at the dealer for far cheaper.

No body and drivetrain do not need to be the same. The list is full of coupes wagons convertibles etc that we didn't get with engines and drivetrains we didn't get.

Canadians apparently really need to get up to speed on all the US laws they want changed..

Vehicles
      11-24-2019 10:27 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      No body and drivetrain do not need to be the same. The list is full of coupes wagons convertibles etc that we didn't get with engines and drivetrains we didn't get.

Canadians apparently really need to get up to speed on all the US laws they want changed..
      lol don't need to be condescending about it. pretty sure I'm not wrong as there's a good reason why I haven't seen a single less-than-15 year old car here, other than imported by a diplomat.

11. Senior Member
      11-24-2019 10:55 AM #85
      lol don't need to be condescending about it. pretty sure I'm not wrong as there's a good reason why I haven't seen a single less-than-15 year old car here, other than imported by a diplomat.
      This thread is about US regulations, if your country has different ones that prevent you from seeing the cars then maybe you should start one to discuss.

See recent Doug demuro g wagon video where he bought and imported g500 convertible, which didn't have to be crashed tested etc. It was actually approved despite the fact that it did not conform the to substantially similar requirement.

If we go back to previous pages where I discussed self certification, that's all the importedr did. They said this vehicle has xyz we'll fix abc before releasing it and they said ok.

Under 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(B), a motor vehicle that was not originally manufactured to conform to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards may also be granted admission into the United States, even if there is no substantially similar motor vehicle of the same model year originally manufactured for importation into and sale in the United States, if the safety features of the vehicle comply with or are capable of being altered to comply with those standards based on destructive test information or other evidence that NHTSA decides is adequate

12. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      11-24-2019 11:51 AM #86
      i find it funny to read things like this in the land of jacked up 2500kg++ pickups, where you subject everyone on the road to your choices, ...
      lol don't need to be condescending about it. ...
      The irony here...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

13. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      11-24-2019 11:52 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      but hey.. at least you can change the tire sizes your car has on it without having to run down and register it with the authorities..
      Yeah like how it's done with TUV in Germany.

(Looks at your location, oops sorry...)
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      11-24-2019 12:14 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      The irony here...
      not sure I see it. I wasn't being condescending at all about the jacked up truck thing. If you get into an accident, others are subjected to a m7ch higher weight and dangerous bumper height. That's just the way it is.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-26-2019 06:31 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post

Matrix dynamic LED headlamps? Whoa! Witchcraft!
      Technically some US Audi models (prestige trim A6, A7, Q8 and all A8) and Porsche models (stand alone option on many including cayenne, panamera, 911) have "Matrix style headlights" which do have matrix lighting functionality- it is just decoded. If you have VCDS you can quickly flip the switch so to speak. And dealers already have TSBs to activate the functionality for free when the regulations inevitably change- I am sure VAG is lobbying for it as we speak.

I even coded Dynamic Light Assist on my Arteon which is like a pseudo matrix lighting system in which the main beams move around and can independently turn on their high beam to extend around traffic unlike the from-the-factory "light assist" which just turns on/off both high beams, like every other car on the market. See the video below (starts at 1:50):

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234