Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lordstown’s New Electric Pickup Is Aimed at Traditionalists

1. 11-28-2019 10:08 AM #1
      Think Tesla’s Cybertruck Is Too Much? Lordstown’s New Electric Pickup Is Aimed at Traditionalists
      The all-electric Endurance looks to beat Elon's Musk's angular pickup to market.

While everyone was focused on Tesla's Cybertruck, Workhorse announced this: Lordstown Endurance EV Pickup

Welcome to 2019, when pickup trucks have somehow become a preferred canvas for automakers’ wildest fever dreams. From Tesla’s oddly geometrical Cybertruck to Bollinger’s brick-like pickup, it seems like marques are either trying to out-future or out-retro each other when it comes to EV truck design. For traditionalists who may not want to look like they’re driving inside a dystopian sci-fi flick, however, a new battery-powered pickup from Lordstown Motors hopes to offer an appealing alternative.

Lordstown claims that its all-electric Endurance truck will be the first production vehicle to utilize a 4-wheel-drive hub-motor system—a design that reduces the number of moving parts and subsequently decreases breakdowns, as well as running and maintenance costs. The marque is sourcing the electric motors from Workhorse Group in the hopes of beating its rivals to market.

The under-the-hood specifics are still to come, but the renderings show a traditional four-cab with modern front end, closed-off front fascia, slim headlamps, and simple lines. “The truck is engineered to be lightweight, with all-wheel drive and a low center of gravity, while maintaining ground clearance,” according to a representative for Lordstown. Of course, all that engineering will cost you. The Lordstown Endurance is priced at $52,500, before tax credits, which is almost $13,000 more than the base price of the Cybertruck.

Lordstown acquired a General Motors factory in Ohio earlier this year, paving the way for the marque to begin production of EV truck. The Endurance is now slated for delivery in the fourth quarter of 2020, which means that it will beat Elon’s polygonal creation to market by a few months.

While there’s a solid team behind the new pickup—Steve Burns is the founder of both Workhorse and Lordstown, plus ex-Tesla manufacturing chief Rich Schmidt and former senior executives from General Motors, Volkswagen, and Karma are also onboard—the promised delivery date seems aggressive. We have yet to see a prototype—even if the window shattered, we still saw a Cybertruck—which means the marque will have to develop a full-fledged production vehicle in 12 months. If you’re a gambling man, Lordstown is now taking $1,000 deposits for late-2020 delivery.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-28-2019 10:17 AM #2
      Hmmm.. so which one is it cause these two renders are completely different.

4. 11-28-2019 10:36 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by texghost View Post
      Hmmm.. so which one is it cause these two renders are completely different.
      I don't think they are that different but there are more renders: https://electrek.co/2019/11/21/lords...ectric-pickup/

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      11-28-2019 10:38 AM #4
      Just about anything is more traditional that Tesla's truck.

6. 11-28-2019 10:40 AM #5
      I like it. I'm also warming up to the Cybertruck though too.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      11-28-2019 12:26 PM #6
      That looks really good and I get strong Silverado vibes, makes me wish GM made the new one look like this

8. 11-28-2019 01:44 PM #7
      I’d love to see this be a mid-size.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      11-28-2019 01:52 PM #8
      First time hearing about this company. That doesn't bode well.
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-28-2019 02:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      They bought the carcass of Lordstown Assembly off GM, and that wasn't very long ago. I think they want to use the press on the Cybertruck to help drum up interest in their own product, but it's pretty ambitious to be promising vapor with not even a concept model is going to be a production truck in 12 months or less.

11. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      11-28-2019 02:59 PM #10
      I’d love for this to be successful, but I have serious doubts they’ll be able to build these at scale, on time, and at the listed price.

12. 11-28-2019 03:36 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      They bought the carcass of Lordstown Assembly off GM, and that wasn't very long ago. I think they want to use the press on the Cybertruck to help drum up interest in their own product, but it's pretty ambitious to be promising vapor with not even a concept model is going to be a production truck in 12 months or less.
      This seems to be the explanation and connections:

GM sells Lordstown factory to the offshoot of a struggling EV startup
      There’s a long road ahead for Lordstown Motors

The closed General Motors factory in Lordstown, Ohio that’s been at the center of the company’s tension with President Trump has a new owner: an electric vehicle startup called Lordstown Motors. The deal — which was surprise announced by Trump on Twitter back in May — was finalized Thursday. Terms were not disclosed.

The deal could bring hundreds, maybe thousands of jobs back to the area, and GM says the factory’s new purpose will help establish Ohio as a hub for EV manufacturing. (The automaker is itself looking to invest in a nearby factory in order to transform it into a battery-making facility.) But the Lordstown plant now rests in the hands of a small company that finds itself trying to do what almost no other startup has been able to do: build an entirely new American automaker from (almost) the ground up.

To be clear, Lordstown Motors is a new company that was specifically set up to buy the Lordstown plant. It was created by Steve Burns, the founder and former CEO of struggling electric vehicle startup Workhorse. Workhorse has sold electric delivery vans in the past, and is in the running for the contract to build the United States Postal Service’s next-generation vehicle. But the company has recently found itself in dire financial straits. The startup has lost nearly $38 million in 2019, and generated just $4,258 in sales this past quarter. (Workhorse recently sold off a nascent drone business for $4 million, and has around $9 million in cash.) It has survived in large part because of a $35 million loan from hedge fund Marathon Asset Management.

The ties between Workhorse and Lordstown Motors run deeper than Burns. Workhorse owns 10 percent of Lordstown Motors. His old company is also licensing the intellectual property related to its impending W-15 electric pickup truck to Lordstown Motors, and transferring the 6,000 preorders it had collected for the truck to his new startup. In exchange, Workhorse will get a 1 percent commission on each of the first 200,000 trucks sold by Lordstown Motors, as well as 1 percent of any debt or equity financing the new startup comes up with.

Burns wants to build electric pickup trucks for “business and government customers,” according to The Wall Street Journal, and has already decided on the name of Lordstown Motors’ first model: Endurance. He said he wants to start production in about a year, but needs at least $300 million to do so. He also said he intends to eventually reach the Lordstown plant’s 6 million square foot maximum capacity, which would be about 500,000 vehicles per year — double the number of Cruze sedans GM made there at its peak, and more vehicles than Tesla currently makes after 15 years in business. Burns told the Journal he plans to do this with a union workforce, but that his startup has not yet had any discussions with the United Automobile Workers, which staffed the plant before it closed.

There’s now a rather long list of EV startups with an American presence that have tried to follow in Tesla’s wake. Most have failed, and the few that haven’t have had to lean on government bailouts. Perhaps the most famous example, Faraday Future, burned through some $2 billion and still does not have a car in production. Seres (née SF Motors) recently abandoned plans to enter the US market.

Byton is nearly ready for production, but only after striking a deal with Chinese state-owned automaker First Automotive Works (which drove out the startup’s co-founder and CEO). Lucid Motors is about to start building a factory in Arizona following a $1 billion rescue from Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund. China’s NIO has about 26,000 cars on the road despite being just five years old, but that’s because it struck a contract manufacturing deal with — you guessed it — a Chinese state-owned automaker. (NIO also announced earlier this year that it was getting a $1.45 billion infusion from a state-run investment fund, though the deal has still not closed.) At the same time, NIO has made multiple cuts to its US workforce and closed an office in Silicon Valley.

One example that stands out is Rivian, an EV startup that bided its time and waited until it had a lot of the hard work — securing a manufacturing facility, locking down early rounds of funding — out of the way before unveiling its electric pickup truck and SUV late last year. The Michigan-based startup has since nabbed Amazon and Ford as investors, with the former recently announcing a 100,000-truck order. Unsurprisingly, Burns told the Journal he’d like to take a similar approach to building up Lordstown Motors.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      11-28-2019 04:07 PM #12
      Same here, I'd let them sit for 1 to 3 years before I'd think about choosing their truck over Tesla's. But right now since all I've got to go on is looks, they're out of consideration. Not that I want an electric pickup to begin with.

11-28-2019 05:39 PM #13
      To be fair Workhorse actually has produced, and sold some actual vehicles in the past. Mostly for commercial applications thus far.

I just went on their website, and found this thing which looks cooler than their breadvans.

http://sureflyaero.com/

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      11-28-2019 06:18 PM #14
      I would actually consider this. Looks like a sportier and more modern F150.

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SE 4M, 2010 GTI, 2001.5 Passat, 2010 Civic, 2006 Pilot
      11-28-2019 06:22 PM #15
      When are the slammed EV regular-cab mini pickups coming, dammit?!

17. 11-28-2019 06:45 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      To be fair Workhorse actually has produced, and sold some actual vehicles in the past. Mostly for commercial applications thus far.

I just went on their website, and found this thing which looks cooler than their breadvans.

http://sureflyaero.com/
      I would seriously consider something like this over the trucks... Assuming usable battery life (which probably doesn't exist yet) which would translate to a realistic range of several hundred miles, autonomous capabilities, safety redundancies (auto-deployable parachute, please), and an affordable price (realistically, under $250k)... Then again, I've been waiting for flying cars every one of my 68 years...

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      11-29-2019 09:01 PM #17
      I wonder if this company knows they'll probably be employing the fine people of northeastern Ohio to build this thing.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      04-04-2020 02:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I like it. I'm also warming up to the Cybertruck though too.
      Me too, from what I see here I prefer the Cybertruck any day of the week over Lordstown. Since it's competitive in price too and I think it's the coolest pickup truck on Earth now, that's all the more reason why I prefer the Cybertruck. From everything I've seen and heard Lordstown does make for good competition if you're looking for something more traditional.

20. 06-10-2020 01:13 PM #19
      Lordstown Motors to unveil Endurance electric truck this month

Lordstown Motors is making good on its promise to unveil the Endurance electric pickup truck this summer, announcing that its maiden product will be introduced during a company meeting the week of June 22, video of which will be released to the public by month’s end.

In a blog post, CEO Steve Burns explained that the original plans were to unveil the truck in June at the Detroit auto show, which was canceled because of the coronavirus outbreak. “It’s not how we’d envisioned unveiling the Endurance, but in the absence of being able to gather a large crowd to see it in-person, this is the next best thing,” Burns wrote.

Burns also used the post to provide updates on preparing the Lordstown factory complex for the start of pre-production later this year. He said workers were finalizing the prototype vehicle battery, with an integrator chosen that has started engineering the semi-automated equipment line. Integration work has also begun on areas like the body shop, general assembly, motor lines and paint shop, with demolition of around 200,000 square feet to make space for lines to build the battery and motors.

“The progress made so far is a testament to the fact that we started in a fully equipped 6 million square foot plant, which meant we were able to get to work right away creating the lines we need to build the Endurance,” Burns wrote.

Lordstown is retooling the idled former General Motors factory in Ohio after receiving a $40 million loan from the Detroit-based automaker in December. The Detroit Free Press recently reported that Lordstown currently employs around 70 people, mostly engineers, and including a team of 20 who work in a design studio in Ford’s backyard in Dearborn, Mich. making clay models of future vehicles, with the remainder working on retooling the plant. The goal is to make 30 pre-production versions of the Endurance by December.

The Endurance will feature four in-hub electric motors, making a combined 600 horsepower, and a battery of unknown capacity, with at least 200 miles of driving range on offer. The company has said that charging on a Level 2 charger takes 10 hours to replenish the battery to 90% capacity (full specs as known are here). It will start at $52,000 before $7,500 federal tax credits for EVs.

The company has also delayed its first deliveries to January 2021, from December of this year. It has already opened the books for reservations for private customers and fleet operators and is targeting production of 20,000 units in the first year.
      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/09/...nveiling-june/

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      06-10-2020 01:36 PM #20
      Except for the "I'm An EV" fascia, it looks pretty ordinary.

Meh.
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-10-2020 03:04 PM #21
      Tesla has moved the ball very far, with pick-up truck design.
      I don't think many other car companies will be as daring. Rivian, Bollinger, and Hummer are (or will be) uniquely designed, in their own ways, however.

This Lordstown truck feels too safe.
      It's like they didn't learn the lesson that Tesla realized when developing the Cybertruck.
      If you do something too normal, how do you compete against the "normal" looking EV trucks that Ford and Chevy ultimately will produce?
      The EV F-150 will be built by an established car company.
      It will have dealership support every 5 miles.
      It will be a line extension of the best selling vehicle in America.

The Endurance has none of the above going for it, and the design doesn't have any "Wow Factor".

06-10-2020 03:18 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Tesla has moved the ball very far, with pick-up truck design.
      I don't think many other car companies will be as daring. Rivian, Bollinger, and Hummer are (or will be) uniquely designed, in their own ways, however.

This Lordstown truck feels too safe.
      It's like they didn't learn the lesson that Tesla realized when developing the Cybertruck.
      If you do something too normal, how do you compete against the "normal" looking EV trucks that Ford and Chevy ultimately will produce?
      The EV F-150 will be built by an established car company.
      It will have dealership support every 5 miles.
      It will be a line extension of the best selling vehicle in America.

The Endurance has none of the above going for it, and the design doesn't have any "Wow Factor".
      Agreed 100% ...there is nothing appealing about this package ...even the name is super lame.

Vehicles
      Ram, Vette, 500
      06-10-2020 03:25 PM #23
      the promised delivery date seems aggressive. We have yet to see a prototype—even if the window shattered, we still saw a Cybertruck—which means the marque will have to develop a full-fledged production vehicle in 12 months. If you’re a gambling man, Lordstown is now taking $1,000 deposits for late-2020 delivery.
      I've seen enough of these venture capital scams to know not to throw money at vaporware. Remember Elio Motors? They are still somehow scamming people and governments out of their money even years after their promised 2012 release date.

25. 06-10-2020 04:00 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      I've seen enough of these venture capital scams to know not to throw money at vaporware. Remember Elio Motors? They are still somehow scamming people and governments out of their money even years after their promised 2012 release date.
      I don't think anyone here remembers Elio Motors.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-10-2020 08:37 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      GM basically had to pay Workhorse to buy their old Lordstown plant (30 million?).
      Workhorse then decided to brand this new venture Lordstown Motors. That seems like a CYA move, to protect Workhorse when/if Lordstown goes poof.
      This all seems like an elaborate PR move on the part of GM and Workhorse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast