Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lordstown’s New Electric Pickup Is Aimed at Traditionalists

1. 06-10-2020 08:49 PM #26
      "In-hub electric motors"

That, to me, means "nope". There's valid reasons that everyone, including Tesla and Rivian, uses a fast-spinning chassis-mounted motor through a gear-reduction to drive the wheels through shafts.

The more I see of these start-ups, the more I like the Rivian ...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-10-2020 09:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      "In-hub electric motors"

That, to me, means "nope". There's valid reasons that everyone, including Tesla and Rivian, uses a fast-spinning chassis-mounted motor through a gear-reduction to drive the wheels through shafts.

The more I see of these start-ups, the more I like the Rivian ...
      It seems like an especially odd choice for a truck, since they are more likely to see abusive use where those in-wheel motors are rattled to death so much more quickly than neighborhood/highway used EV sedans.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      06-10-2020 09:39 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      GM basically had to pay Workhorse to buy their old Lordstown plant (30 million?).
      Workhorse then decided to brand this new venture Lordstown Motors. That seems like a CYA move, to protect Workhorse when/if Lordstown goes poof.
      This all seems like an elaborate PR move on the part of GM and Workhorse.
      I agree. And it makes Trump look good.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-11-2020 09:15 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I agree. And it makes Trump look good.
      I intentionally left that part out...
      🍊

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 02:39 PM #30
      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/25/...al-livestream/

The production version has debuted.
      I hope it works out, for the former GM factory workers, but man this whole thing feels suspect.

Steve Burns, LMC CEO claimed that this truck will have the best traction of any other truck out there and handles "like a sports car." Lordstown is using an in-wheel motor design, but it's not quite ready to talk specs yet. We know it'll have a motor at each wheel, but the truck's final range, acceleration and power figures are still unknown.

The premiere event was livestreamed on the company’s YouTube channel.

7. 06-25-2020 02:46 PM #31
      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/25/...al-livestream/

The production version has debuted.
      I hope it works out, for the former GM factory workers, but man this whole thing feels suspect.
      If it were something I could buy at a GM/Chevy, Ford, Ram, or Toyota dealership it could be interesting. But from a startup without real dealerships, this isn't for your average Joe. This is primarily for fleet service where they have their own garages and mechanics.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 02:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      If it were something I could buy at a GM/Chevy, Ford, Ram, or Toyota dealership it could be interesting. But from a startup without real dealerships, this isn't for your average Joe. This is primarily for fleet service where they have their own garages and mechanics.
      I'm sure Ford is busy cancelling the planned F-150 reveal for tonight!

06-25-2020 03:20 PM #33
      I happened to be awake early this morning, so I tuned in for the Livestream unveiling

https://youtu.be/39y5FNxvHgk

Holy crap, it had to be the absolute worst presentation of any thing I have seen in years. They spent like 20 minutes patting themselves on the back, then showed some low effort terrible production value videos, where they showed dirty old looking equipment.

Then instead of even talking about the truck they turned it over to Mike Pence to do a half hour campaign speach.

I was excited for this before, but I am pretty convinced that this is all vaporware after today. These guys don't seem to have the chops to put together a presentation let alone disrupt the auto industry.

[IMG]https://www.newcartestdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/12/05-vue-hero.jpg
      [/IMG]

The truck also looks like it is a Saturn pickup design concept.
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 06-25-2020 at 03:26 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 03:50 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I happened to be awake early this morning, so I tuned in for the Livestream unveiling

Holy crap, it had to be the absolute worst presentation of any thing I have seen in years. They spent like 20 minutes patting themselves on the back, then showed some low effort terrible production value videos, where they showed dirty old looking equipment.

Then instead of even talking about the truck they turned it over to Mike Pence to do a half hour campaign speach.

I was excited for this before, but I am pretty convinced that this is all vaporware after today. These guys don't seem to have the chops to put together a presentation let alone disrupt the auto industry.

[IMG]https://www.newcartestdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/12/05-vue-hero.jpg
      [/IMG]

The truck also looks like it is a Saturn pickup design concept.
      It definitely reminds me of the headlights on the original Saturn CUV!

The production values of the video and promotional materials seem underfunded and subpar. This is not a company that's ready to chase Ford, let alone Tesla or Rivian.
      Mike Pence spent more time talking about Trump than they ever spend on talking about the truck.
      It feels like this reveal was timed for political reasons and has nothing to do with the truck actually being ready to be shared with the public.

As I have said before, I hope this all works out, if for no other reason than to expand the acceptance of EVs from the coasts into the heartland.
      If EVs and EV-related jobs become a non-partisan issue, then we all win.
      If states with GOP congressmen and governors finally get on the EV train, that makes pro-EV legislation much easier to pass.
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 06-25-2020 at 04:01 PM.

11. 06-25-2020 04:18 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post

OMG. I thought you were joking at first. Two gray haired guys. HI SPEED has to be joking. Then Pence showed up.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      06-25-2020 04:50 PM #36
      OMG. I thought you were joking at first. Two gray haired guys. HI SPEED has to be joking. Then Pence showed up.
      Mike "Deus Volt" Pence? I wonder why Mike "Ohm my god" Pence would attend an electric truck unveil .
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

13. 06-25-2020 05:25 PM #37
      Mike Pence spent more time talking about Trump than they ever spend on talking about the truck.
      It feels like this reveal was timed for political reasons and has nothing to do with the truck actually being ready to be shared with the public.

As I have said before, I hope this all works out, if for no other reason than to expand the acceptance of EVs from the coasts into the heartland.
      If states with GOP congressmen and governors finally get on the EV train, that makes pro-EV legislation much easier to pass.
      But if/once Trump wins re-election, he will slash all EV funding because you can't drive an EV when the wind doesn't blow or you will get cancer and kill all the birds.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 06:43 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Mike "Deus Volt" Pence? I wonder why Mike "Ohm my god" Pence would attend an electric truck unveil .
      He probably heard there were some transgender folks needing to be oppressed in the factory.
      That’s his jam.

15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-25-2020 07:23 PM #39
      Same. I thought it couldn't be that bad, then it was.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      06-25-2020 07:29 PM #40
      Is this based on a GM platform? The cab design looks very GM, imo.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      06-26-2020 08:10 PM #41
      This thing looks ridiculous and Im predicting sales will be in the hundreds.

18. 06-26-2020 09:17 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Very different underneath because of the battery and drivetrain differences. Styling just looks generic-pickup-truck. That being said, it would not surprise me if they are re-using part numbers from other vehicles for minor components ... it only makes sense at this point. There's no need to re-engineer door latches, or HVAC parts, etc.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-27-2020 02:48 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It seems like an especially odd choice for a truck, since they are more likely to see abusive use where those in-wheel motors are rattled to death so much more quickly than neighborhood/highway used EV sedans.
      Changing a flat is going to suck, no?

20. 06-27-2020 09:08 AM #44
      Changing a flat is going to suck, no?
      No different than changing a normal wheel. The drive motors are integrated into the hub/brake assemblies, and the wheel is bolted to that, just like a normal wheel is bolted to a normal hub and brake rotor. The ability to change a flat tire is the least of the headaches with in-hub motors.

21. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      06-27-2020 10:05 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      They mentioned that the bed was designed to accept accessories from “an existing design”, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it is in fact reusing some parts.

The production values of the video and promotional materials seem underfunded and subpar. This is not a company that's ready to chase Ford, let alone Tesla or Rivian.

Agreed on all counts. I don’t want EVs to become a political “issue” like face masks, and a truck like this gives folks who would never buy Tesla something to consider.

But count me among those who are skeptical this truck will actually make it to full scale production.

22. 06-27-2020 10:35 AM #46
      The electric version of the Ford F150 wasn't revealed in Ford's introductory event, but we know it is on the way in another year or two. Any off-brand up-starts who aren't well established by then, are going to be obliterated in the marketplace.

Rivian start of production has been delayed until sometime in 2021, which isn't a surprise ... they may *just* make it in time. Ford has an investment in Rivian anyhow. And then there is the Amazon involvement. And I know who is building the tooling for the body shop in that plant. It's in the works - just delayed because of covid-19.

Workhorse/Lordstown? Forget it. If nothing else, I predict that the hub-mounted motors are going to be trouble. There are reasons why no one serious is doing it that way.

Atlis? Haven't heard much about them in a while. That one was vaporware at best.

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      06-27-2020 06:42 PM #47
      Well, it's ugly as sin, so it has that going for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

24. 07-31-2020 05:40 PM #48

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      07-31-2020 06:13 PM #49
      "But above all, Indoors" at 0:41.

Maybe hire a voice actor who isn't eating a bunch of marbles next time.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      08-01-2020 12:01 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      If nothing else, I predict that the hub-mounted motors are going to be trouble. There are reasons why no one serious is doing it that way.
      Hub-mounted accelerometer data from a drive around "normal" ****ty streets will make strong engineers faint.

That environment is going to beat those motors to death, to say nothing of the needs to have articulating HV cabling, LV sensor wires, and coolant tubes running to each one.

And if they build them beefy and durable enough to survive that punishment they're going to slaughter their efficiency, not to mention bump handling and ride quality in the suspension.

I completely missed that this truck was hub-motored the first time around. Barf.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast