Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMG's "Emotion Start"

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-29-2019 11:30 AM #1
      I know the F-type does this automatically without any tricks, and obviously every car with an aftermarket exhaust can/should sound like this at startup, but I wonder what other cars have this feature and how long before it becomes the "next thing".

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...LL8yLkQLk2ceHo

Mercedes-AMG's "Emotion Start" Exhaust Mode Is So German it Hurts

AMG has developed a way to easily make your car a little louder on startup. We wish we were joking about the name.

People buy top-dog Mercedes-AMGs for the sound alone. Turbocharging is more common than ever, and with that comes muted exhaust tones—except from AMG's 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8. It's an engine that proves that turbochargers and great sound aren't mutually exclusive. And now, AMG has developed a way to make it louder on startup. It's, uh, very German.

Our colleagues at Car and Driver put together a video on what AMG calls—and I wish I was kidding—Emotion Start. Hold down a shift paddle while starting your AMG up, and the muffler valves are opened and the engine is revved 200 to 300 rpm higher than normal. The result is a more pronounced bark when you turn the car on.

It's a fun gimmick; A trick to show your friends when you first get your fancy new AMG; A great way to annoy your neighbors. It's just so delightfully German. A precisely engineered feature with a cheesy name just to make your car a little louder.

The funny thing with Emotion Start is that the muffler valves close after the car settles at idle. If you want to continue being loud, you have to hit the button or change drive mode to open the valves again. There is a workaround, though, and it works in any car with an active exhaust system. First, put your car in accessory mode, then, hit the exhaust button or call up the drive mode that opens the muffler valves. Once you've done that, turn the engine on and enjoy the noise. You won't get the extra revs AMG's Emotion Start gives you, but hey, it's something. Do it when the engine is cold if you really hate your neighbors.

Car and Driver demonstrated Emotion Start on a new Mercedes-AMG GLC 63, but the feature is available with all new AMG models. We expect owners will be doing this all the time.
      Since I can't link the the clip in the article, here's a random clip I found of the "Emotion Start"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      18 LR Discovery 06 Land Rover LR3 97 BMW M3
      11-29-2019 11:44 AM #2
      Along with the F-type's, the range rover sport v8s and SVR's do this as well.

4. 11-29-2019 12:22 PM #3
      This feature isn't new, it's just not widely known. It's been around for a year or two now I think.

5. Member
      11-29-2019 12:24 PM #4
      My Miata does that on cold start. Of course it has an exhaust and tune.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

6. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      11-29-2019 01:43 PM #5
      Except for the SUVs, AFAIK all late-model Porsches do this by default with no override. I like it, my neighbors' kids like it, my neighbors...do not.

Vehicles
      S60, Z/28
      11-29-2019 03:15 PM #6
      My neighbor’s Mercedes GLE 63s coupe - sorry, “coupe” - definitely does this trick on startup. It barks when he turns it on, and after about 30ish seconds, you can tell the exhaust valve switches as the car suddenly loses the exhaust rumble.

I don’t mind this very Germanic flair for the dramatic.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-29-2019 04:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      My neighbor’s Mercedes GLE 63s coupe - sorry, “coupe” - definitely does this trick on startup. It barks when he turns it on, and after about 30ish seconds, you can tell the exhaust valve switches as the car suddenly loses the exhaust rumble.

I don’t mind this very Germanic flair for the dramatic.
      Older cars without this "feature" and exhaust-valves can do this manually; turn on the ignition, switch to sport+ and start. I guess MB figured that people like doing this and decided to save them the extra step.

11-29-2019 06:27 PM #8
      I just tried to see if my lowly 2019 C43 with PE has this feature, but alas, it does not.

Oh well, it's easy enough to put it in accessory mode before starting and engage Sport + so it starts up nice and loud if desired.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      11-29-2019 07:03 PM #9
      There is a cold start mode (that can be coded out from what I have read) on e9x M3s, which as I've been told is designed to inject extra fuel into the cat to heat it up quicker. So basically some type of emissions-related feature, but the exhaust is much deeper and louder than when the car is idling after about 30-40 second.

Vehicles
      Ford Civic Convertible V8 Turbo Diesel
      11-29-2019 08:18 PM #10
      MK7 GTI does this, too - fuel dump to heat up the cats for about 30 seconds after cold start. Pops and bangs from the factory!
      Pabst Blue Ribbon: The beer that built America, and subsequently knocked it off the kitchen counter and destroyed it during a domestic dispute.

12. 11-29-2019 08:44 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      There is a cold start mode (that can be coded out from what I have read) on e9x M3s, which as I've been told is designed to inject extra fuel into the cat to heat it up quicker. So basically some type of emissions-related feature, but the exhaust is much deeper and louder than when the car is idling after about 30-40 second.
      Quote Originally Posted by Terbough View Post
      MK7 GTI does this, too - fuel dump to heat up the cats for about 30 seconds after cold start. Pops and bangs from the factory!
      This. I had mine tuned out. It was cool at first but it got really annoying after a while.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      11-29-2019 09:56 PM #12
      Forget it, there's no way I'd touch that thing, even with an emotion start, if it's not equipped with ludicrous mode.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      11-29-2019 10:56 PM #13
      Hold on a second fellas. Don't all cars currently sold today have a "cold start" routine?

When you turn on an AMG GT, it does a similar cold start routine to any other car. BUT it also has this "Emotion Start" that gives a little extra noise with the open flaps and extra revs.

So everyone saying "my car does that too"---does your car have a normal cold start routine AND and an extra-loud one? Or is it like every other car that has a high idle, rich fuel mix, retarded intake timing, advanced exhaust timing, and runs the secondary air injection under cold start?

15. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-29-2019 11:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Hold on a second fellas. Don't all cars currently sold today have a "cold start" routine?

When you turn on an AMG GT, it does a similar cold start routine to any other car. BUT it also has this "Emotion Start" that gives a little extra noise with the open flaps and extra revs.

So everyone saying "my car does that too"---does your car have a normal cold start routine AND and an extra-loud one? Or is it like every other car that has a high idle, rich fuel mix, retarded intake timing, advanced exhaust timing, and runs the secondary air injection under cold start?
      Yeah I’m confused. My wife’s friend was over the other day and we were talking about her brand new CX-5 and she was raving about it compared to the Rogue she just got rid of. She had one complaint though, it’s “really loud” on cold starts but then gets ‘normal’ after a minute or two. So I explained to her what’s going on while she and my wife just stared blankly.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      11-29-2019 11:48 PM #15
      Every vehicle has a cold start high idle for 30 seconds or whatever. Very few have a second optional loud mode just to make noise.

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-30-2019 12:21 AM #16
      The "Emotion Start" can be done cold, warm or hot.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      11-30-2019 12:42 AM #17
      I wish I had the opposite of this technology for my car. Some days i just want to blend in and get on my way without being noticed, honestly.

Vehicles
      '12 Honda CRV EX, '18 Tundra TRD Off-Road 4x4
      11-30-2019 12:56 AM #18
      My old 100% stock 2017 BRZ Manual did this at cold-start only. Sounded like an EJ with hint of Subaru burble for first 20-25 seconds, then sounded quiet like an Outback 2.5 once warmed up.

Vehicles
      E82M / W177 A35 / MSX125
      11-30-2019 05:38 AM #19
      My A35 has this feature too. Doesn't make much of a difference though on a small turbo 4 banger.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      11-30-2019 06:12 AM #20
      Its odd that they mention more than once in the article how German this is. I find it to be opposite of what I've observed here. Extra sound from anything, whether it be a lawn mower, washing machine, car exhaust, or even tires.. is frowned upon. All season tires are not a thing here (for the most part) due to the extra noise level they make. I've seen a number of mentions about them being "good for nothing but making more noise" when I was trying to find a way to get some Michelin Pilot AS3+. I had my neighbor come over to the hedge row and mention that she doesn't make any sound when she is working in the garden. "All across this valley you hear people with machines and such making noise in their gardens when they work. When I'm here in the garden working you would not even know I'm here". She even told me "I just use scissors to trim the hedges so it doesn't make noise, instead of using a trimmer". Every day there is "quiet time" from I believe 1pm -3pm where you are not supposed to make any noise.

There are extreme noise regulations in the law even.. No making noise on Sundays, period!
      Last edited by Fined; 11-30-2019 at 06:15 AM.

22. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      11-30-2019 10:46 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      Its odd that they mention more than once in the article how German this is. I find it to be opposite of what I've observed here. Extra sound from anything, whether it be a lawn mower, washing machine, car exhaust, or even tires.. is frowned upon. All season tires are not a thing here (for the most part) due to the extra noise level they make. I've seen a number of mentions about them being "good for nothing but making more noise" when I was trying to find a way to get some Michelin Pilot AS3+. I had my neighbor come over to the hedge row and mention that she doesn't make any sound when she is working in the garden. "All across this valley you hear people with machines and such making noise in their gardens when they work. When I'm here in the garden working you would not even know I'm here". She even told me "I just use scissors to trim the hedges so it doesn't make noise, instead of using a trimmer". Every day there is "quiet time" from I believe 1pm -3pm where you are not supposed to make any noise.

There are extreme noise regulations in the law even.. No making noise on Sundays, period!
      What about barking dogs?
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      11-30-2019 11:00 AM #22
      Why not just have a speaker proclaiming in a heavy German accent upon startup : " I have a really cool car"

2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

24. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      11-30-2019 11:59 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      What about barking dogs?
      I didn't think much about it until reading the question.. but now I've just seen there are rules about that too. If you have a dog it is not allowed to bark for more than 10 consecutive minutes, and not more than 30 cumulative minutes per day. There are rules defined for everything. I was mortified to find out its illegal to wash my car at my house. Approved car washing locations only.

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      11-30-2019 12:35 PM #24
      If your neighbor's is dog barking too much, just throw a couple of these over the fence and he will be busy for a while.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      11-30-2019 12:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      My Miata does that on cold start. Of course it has an exhaust and tune.
      Same for the OBXT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast