VWVortex.com - Class action lawsuit alleging improper tire rotations lead to excessive and uneven tire wear
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Class action lawsuit alleging improper tire rotations lead to excessive and uneven tire wear

    1. Member PaulQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2007
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      581
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      11-29-2019 10:53 PM #1
      I came here to see if there was a discussion about this and I am surprised to be the first person to bring it up. A pack of paperwork arrived at my home today. Here goes:

      LINK: https://www.tiresettlement.com/ (yes, they got that domain!)
      A settlement has been reached in a class action that alleges model year 2009-2017 Volkswagen CC vehicles might potentially be susceptible to certain types of excessive uneven tire wear, sometimes requiring early replacement of tires. Volkswagen has denied the claims and maintains there is no defect or issue with respect to the vehicles or their tires. Current and former owners and lessees (“Class Members”) of model year 2009-2017 Volkswagen CC vehicles (“Settlement Class Vehicles”) may be eligible for certain benefits under the proposed Settlement.

      I have no recollection of experiencing uneven wear or any unusual tire issues. I read through all the paperwork and I'm either going to exclude myself or do nothing unless someone here brings up something I am not thinking of.

      Just as a community of owners, I am curious who was affected by this.
      PaulQ

      2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member high on psi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2008
      Location
      Mesa, Arizona
      Posts
      137
      Vehicles
      2015 CC R-Line
      11-29-2019 10:55 PM #2
      I got the same thing today.

      My original continental tires on my car made it 50k plus and I didn’t rotate them very often hahaha

      So not sure if I’m included in this.

      2015 CC R Line


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2014
      Location
      Westchester County, NY
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC VR6 4motion
      11-29-2019 11:11 PM #3
      Sorry guys I think that might be us 4motion owners. It's a bs suit but I'm gonna enter and see if anything comes out of it....

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member PaulQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2007
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      581
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      11-29-2019 11:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonez5219 View Post
      Sorry guys I think that might be us 4motion owners. It's a bs suit but I'm gonna enter and see if anything comes out of it....
      Is this something that has been happening with 4motion models?
      PaulQ

      2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

    7. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Apr 24th, 2019
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      CC R-Line
      11-30-2019 12:58 AM #5
      Got this too. I’m a more recent owner but when I had an alignment done I was told the factory spec was aggressive. So maybe that’s part of it? If people waited until 10k miles to rotate maybe that was a problem? I don’t know I get oil and rotation done at 5k intervals.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      3,066
      Vehicles
      2010 CC 6Speed MT, 2019 Tiguan SEL
      12-01-2019 01:15 AM #6
      Yep, I got it too. But as with the chain action lawsuit I'm not eligible because I do all my own work. They always want to see dealer invoices, which I dont have.
      When I bought my CC it had 24k and horribly worn out tires. Got new set of wheels and tires, bought lifetime alignment from Firestone and rotate every 5-6k miles. No problem since then(2012)

    9. Member cwwiii's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2007
      Location
      L.A. & Chicago
      Posts
      3,023
      Vehicles
      Tornado Red Mk7.5 GTI SE 6 speed manual.
      12-02-2019 08:41 PM #7
      When I read this class action page for page I thought it was a joke. I don't know about you, but I often check my pressure and tire wear whenever I wash the car or do oil changes. I did have really bad wear in the rear one year but that's because I was lazy after installing coils and never got an alignment.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Would ya look at that..
      .:dubnoxious:.
      flickr

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2014
      Location
      Westchester County, NY
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      09 VW CC VR6 4motion
      12-03-2019 12:48 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by OEMplusCC View Post
      Yep, I got it too. But as with the chain action lawsuit I'm not eligible because I do all my own work. They always want to see dealer invoices, which I dont have.
      When I bought my CC it had 24k and horribly worn out tires. Got new set of wheels and tires, bought lifetime alignment from Firestone and rotate every 5-6k miles. No problem since then(2012)
      I have the same problem....

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Posts
      3,312
      Vehicles
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      12-03-2019 05:55 PM #9
      All PQ35 chassis cars (including the CC) have some issue with the suspension design, which causes "cupping" or "feathering", or "scalloping" of the tread blocks, causing excessive tread noise. The tread design and/or the rubber softness along with a design geometry issue of the suspension causes the problem. It sounds similar to a bad wheel bearing.

      Both of my CCs developed this problem, even though tires were always rotated, and even after changing the original Contis to other brands/models of replacement tires. My Audi Q3 (also a PQ35 platform) is also developing this problem, after about 25000 miles on the original Pirelli tires.

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...highlight=tire

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...hlight=cupping

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...hlight=cupping

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ighlight=noise
      Last edited by CC'ed; 12-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2013
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      3,066
      Vehicles
      2010 CC 6Speed MT, 2019 Tiguan SEL
      12-03-2019 06:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CC'ed View Post
      All PQ35 chassis cars (including the CC) have some issue with the suspension design, which causes "cupping" or "feathering", or "scalloping" of the tread blocks, causing excessive tread noise. The tread design and/or the rubber softness along with a design geometry issue of the suspension causes the problem. It sounds similar to a bad wheel bearing. Both of my CCs developed this problem, even though tires were always rotated, and even after changing the original Contis to other brands/models of replacement tires. My Audi Q3 (also a PQ35 platform) is also developing this problem, after about 25000 miles on the original Pirelli tires.

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...highlight=tire

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...hlight=cupping

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...hlight=cupping

      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ighlight=noise
      Just curious. Are you on stock suspension? I am lowered on coilovers for 5+ years. I have not had this issue, wondering if it has some kind of effect on it.

      Sent from rotary phone

    13. Member PaulQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2007
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      581
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      12-03-2019 08:00 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonez5219 View Post
      I have the same problem....

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I did read through all the paperwork when I got it (I have no idea why I kept reading past the first page) and I seem to recall there were several places that allowed flexibility to describe your efforts to obtain documentation and more. You might be able to fit your situation into that (doing the work yourself). I'm not an expert though.

      It's a lot of paperwork. It's probably easier to do online.
      PaulQ

      2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Posts
      3,312
      Vehicles
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      12-03-2019 08:07 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by OEMplusCC View Post
      Just curious. Are you on stock suspension? I am lowered on coilovers for 5+ years. I have not had this issue, wondering if it has some kind of effect on it.

      Sent from rotary phone
      My experience was all stock suspensions on the 3 cars I had the same tire issues with.

    15. 12-04-2019 11:30 PM #13
      Got the same packet. Not sure if I will qualify since I rotate my own tires. Every spring and fall between winter and summer wheels. Approx every 5k miles. However I’ve worn through a set of 60k tires and a set of 50k tires with only 70k on the car.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Posts
      3,312
      Vehicles
      2017 Audi SQ5, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 7MT, 2010 Audi S4 6MT. 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      12-05-2019 12:34 AM #14
      The lawsuit should rather be called "Improper Suspension Design by VW Leads to Excessive Tire Wear"

    17. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2019
      Location
      45 North
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC 2.0 Manual
      12-10-2019 02:19 PM #15
      My 2012 had a bad case of tire cupping by 30,000 miles on the original Continentals with rotation every 5000 miles or so.


      Bought new tires (General G-max, 245 wide but otherwise same dimensions) and lifetime alignments (once per year), and the car still ate tires. Front end would rattle while driving over expansion cracks.

      After purchasing my second set of tires, I probably trashed my receipts for the first tires; I'll have to search for them.

      At about 70,000 miles, I had firmer Bilsteins installed on all corners with new top bearing cups on front struts and a pair of control arms (I was told the existing ones were crap/bent, but I didn't get a chance to see them, not even sure whether on front or rear of car). Car no longer eats tires and front end rattle disappeared.

      Now at 113,000 miles, and car handles and feels better than when I bought it at 8,000 miles in August of 2012. Car launches much harder with much less intervention from the traction control system.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •