VWVortex.com - VW drops by 9 ranks for 2020 Consumer Reports! OUCH!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VW drops by 9 ranks for 2020 Consumer Reports! OUCH!

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-02-2019 05:38 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by SWeetie View Post
      <Slowly raises hand>

Granted, I did own it for 17 years.
      Our one and only Volkswagen with a B5 Passat 1.8 T. That’s what brought me to this form in the first place all those years ago. At the time nothing else drove like it and it had a European flair and character the Japanese couldn’t come close to.

It did give us lots of little issues though which required frequent dealer visits. This is when we found out the local dealer was just awful, and traveling to the slightly better dealer one hour away with a real pain in the butt for all of the times we needed to go.

We’ve looked at other VWs in the years since but none of them ever tickled us enough to put up with the expected hassle-factor.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      12-02-2019 06:19 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      Doesn't surprise me.

Warranty is OMG. But you can't get past a service manager to replace something obviously broken. So doesn't matter if there's a warranty or not.

This is not the VW I'm used to.
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      Oh, and modem VW's are a lot more reliable than in the 80's and 90's. It was a **** show back then.
      Seriously. My first VW was a 93 Corrado. I said I'd never buy another VW again. My 2016 R was epic though.

Surprised to see they're on a downswing as I had previously heard nothing but improvements and generally positive things into Mk6 and Mk7.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      '16 Soul
      12-02-2019 06:29 PM #53
      There's just too many other brands with consistently better reliability to even both with VW again. Two and done for me
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      12-02-2019 06:31 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Our one and only Volkswagen with a B5 Passat 1.8 T. That’s what brought me to this form in the first place all those years ago. At the time nothing else drove like it and it had a European flair and character the Japanese couldn’t come close to.

It did give us lots of little issues though which required frequent dealer visits. This is when we found out the local dealer was just awful, and traveling to the slightly better dealer one hour away with a real pain in the butt for all of the times we needed to go.

We’ve looked at other VWs in the years since but none of them ever tickled us enough to put up with the expected hassle-factor.
      I feel like I could have written this. It reflects my experiences with my 337 and my wife's B5.5 V6 wagon (which she bought before we met). The latter got tired way too soon, too. Every once in a while VW seems to introduce something interesting to the American market, and every time I start hearing stories from owners that remind me of my past experiences.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

6. 12-02-2019 06:50 PM #55
      I know SO MANY PEOPLE that owned ONE VW, just one. That's all it took to swear them off the brand. This has been going on for decades.
      Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me fives times...Ah nevermind.

7. 12-02-2019 07:21 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      They are on their way to solving all of their engine and transmissions problems. The solution is take all of that out and make it an EV.

I'm only kind of joking. I think they are ramping down ICE engineering and putting that time and money into EV tech. That is making things less reliable. Obviously just a guess but hopefully their EVs do better than their latest ICE vehicles.
      Sometimes I think VW management does not know what they are doing in the North American market. For example, that new electric van/bus seems like a good idea BUT they need to start slowly with electric technology. It is a mistake to make an all electric VW van/bus right now for the North American market. They should start with a hybrid and then move gradually into electric vehicles. I really do not know why they do not offer the new VW van/bus as a hybrid first. In the USA an electric van/bus is not going to cut it for most people. I go on thousand mile road trips every year and we drive a Prius hybrid. Right now, in the USA waiting around for charging with 2 kids screaming in the car will not work for Americans. I think Germans who have an almost negative birthrate probably do not understand this, lol. Also,we do not have the capacity or infrastructure for full electric yet. In the summer there are power outages from air conditioners.

The Germans and Europeans as a whole(Volvo may be an exception, IDK) just do not understand the North American markets or people. We like to drive far and do not want to wait around for charging, especially for people that have kids that get bored. They need to understand their customers.
      Last edited by r286ps2; 12-02-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      12-02-2019 09:40 PM #57
      German engineering is overrated. They tend to overcomplicate their design with no real benefit to it, sacrificing reliability along the way and bu nature they are stubborn, I have two decades of professional experience dealing with German engineers...I mean they would not listen to their American execs asking for right product mix for decades...maybe finally with their latest onslaught of SUV/CUV cars, who knows.
      VW reliability has always been hit or miss. I purchased new mk7 GTI roughly 5 yrs ago and had $250 of unexpected out of warranty repair (DIY) so not too bad (disclaimer - my GTI is a base bare bones with manual gearbox, so probably bit more reliable than a loaded model). But I knew going in that I was not buying Toyota so I set my expectations lower
      Here is the perfect example, I was watching review of the mk8 Golf and noticed that VW deleted hood strut (to save €5) but instead they decided to put two hood latches instead of one...so when the cable fails now you have to somehow release two ****ing hood latches instead of one...I mean my GTI has one and it works fine, I’d rather have hood strut...folks at Toyota will use the same goddman latch for 20 yrs, meanwhile VW engineers have to try something new for the sake of “improvement”. The only car I’ve had with double latch was E90 BMW...so it looks like Golf is moving upmarket at the cost of the hood strut

9. 12-02-2019 09:49 PM #58
      Wow. This is not my experience at all with my Mk7 Golf R.

I have not had one, not one, not a single issue in 4 years of ownership. Nothing. Nada. Zilch!!!

It's the most problem free car I've owned in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by r286ps2 View Post
      Resale value for a VW is GOD awful.
      Actually the R holds its value insanely well.

10. 12-02-2019 09:59 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Wow. This is not my experience at all with my Mk7 Golf R.

I have not had one, not one, not a single issue in 4 years of ownership. Nothing. Nada. Zilch!!!

It's the most problem free car I've owned in my life.

Actually the R holds its value insanely well.
      4 years is not long for VW ownership. Once you get around 100,000 miles is when trouble occurs. However coolant leaks are a given with a VW no matter the mileage usually. If you have a manual transmission they tend to be much more reliable. Golf R is not a typical model, some dealerships do not even have any in stock as they do not order many it seems.

11. 12-02-2019 10:01 PM #60
      If you have a manual transmission they tend to be much more reliable.
      That's funny because all my friends with manual Golf Rs have slipping clutches. Glad I went DSG.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      12-02-2019 10:07 PM #61
      Funny how a dubious reliability ranking report can pull out all of good ole VW hate cliches from TCLers

13. 12-02-2019 10:16 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      That's funny because all my friends with manual Golf Rs have slipping clutches. Glad I went DSG.
      LOL, well an automatic transmission cost a lot more to fix I think. It is more complicated but a slipping clutch on a manual in 2019 should not happen and if it does VW should be ashamed of themselves.

14. 12-03-2019 03:33 PM #63
      4 years is not long for VW ownership. Once you get around 100,000 miles is when trouble occurs.
      You just described every car from every manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

15. 12-03-2019 03:36 PM #64
      LOL, well an automatic transmission cost a lot more to fix I think. It is more complicated but a slipping clutch on a manual in 2019 should not happen and if it does VW should be ashamed of themselves.
      It does happen, and VW is not ashamed or they would make a production change and use the TTRS pressure plate and more robust clutch in the R, GTI and GLI. It's not like they don't know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      12-03-2019 06:01 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by appleman View Post
      not a shocker, their lineup has been quite troubled the past couple years. Not to mention even their own dealers are upset about the vehicles and reliability. VW has a terrible lineup. They have lost their way.

i think ive seen this on here re:volkswagen since i joined.. coming up on 20 years ago

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-03-2019 06:16 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

i think ive seen this on here re:volkswagen since i joined.. coming up on 20 years ago
      Yup.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      12-03-2019 06:24 PM #67

Yup. Same old comments. Luckily the world's largest automaker has been able to overcome the negativity on TCL

"They lost their way"
      "They don't understand the US market"
      "The quality has gone downhill"
      "All of the dealers are terrible"
      "Nothing but problems"
      "Their lineup is ****ty"
      "German engineering is overrated"
      "Too expensive"
      "Every sunroof leaks"

On and on...

19. 12-03-2019 06:24 PM #68

"Volkswagen has lost it's way"

Looking at Volkswagen's 20 year history in our market and how it's turned out, they aren't wrong.

Vehicles
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      12-03-2019 06:35 PM #69

Like I said, I had my MkIV 99.5 for 17 years and it was a great little car, even towards the end at 194K miles.

When I started looking at new cars in 2016, VW wasn't even on the list. Having ridden in my friend's ghastly boring MkVI TDI, VW had no exciting options whatsoever. Had did they go from the interior design team of the Mk IV&V cars, to the gray, dull and lifeless interiors that were the MK VI & VII? (spare me the softtouch peeling issues because yes, I lived it).

The spark of quirky, cute and different that got me into VW's doors in May 1999 is LONG gone.
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>>
      between.the.evergreens <---my IG

21. Member
      Vehicles
      12-03-2019 06:45 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      "Volkswagen has lost it's way"

Looking at Volkswagen's 20 year history in our market and how it's turned out, they aren't wrong.
      1998 US Sales: 219k units
      2018 US Sales: 354k units

22. 12-03-2019 06:56 PM #71
      I'm curious to hear input on Euro VAG product owners - are they really that bad?
      Are Audi or BMW products any better?

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      12-03-2019 07:02 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      It's best if you just ignore him. The trolls love to be fed and guaranteed if there is VW or EV bashing to be done, the Burnette troll is going to show up at the party. I don't bother replying anymore because it just isn't worth the time. If he gets off on posting the same BS in every thread let him bust his nut.

24. 12-03-2019 07:32 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      It's best if you just ignore him. The trolls love to be fed and guaranteed if there is VW or EV bashing to be done, the Burnette troll is going to show up at the party. I don't bother replying anymore because it just isn't worth the time. If he gets off on posting the same BS in every thread let him bust his nut.

Aw, there's no need in name calling UJB. This thread and many others are indicative of what some people have experienced with VW. Heck, even your pop went through it.

You should never, ever take criticism of VW personal dude. And you have to admit, they damn sure earned it these last few years.

25. 12-03-2019 07:40 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I'll say the same to you JS79, I don't identify you with the company and neither should you. Some people love and have had greart service from VW and I think that's awesome

But as with any product things can and do go wrong and people will for sure let companies know when it happens.

As far as the ratings, the issue is that there's so much competition now.

You read a post from a consumer here that states they've had two or three major things go wrong and they're done. People are less prone to put up with mess because there's so many other choices you don't have too.

26. 12-03-2019 07:54 PM #75
      I am not sure why some of you guys are taking this so personal .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast