VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread

1. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      12-10-2019 06:07 PM #51
      Gene Haas doesn't like spending lots of money to finish mid-field. I give them one more year of being a B-team before he either pulls the plug or finds a buyer in Penske.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-10-2019 06:21 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Gene Haas doesn't like spending lots of money to finish mid-field. I give them one more year of being a B-team before he either pulls the plug or finds a buyer in Penske.
      Holy fek, Penske. I guess you can't take it with you and at 82 years old and worth better than a billion and a half, Roger is swinging for the fences.

Roger squashed rumors he was buying Mercedes AMG PETRONAS, but I expect he would take no less if getting in the world's traveling circus.

But as he says, his hands will be full working IndyCar.

4. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      12-10-2019 06:25 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I guess you can't take it with you and at 82 years old and worth better than a billion and a half, Roger is swinging for the fences.
      This sums it up. He's trying to solidify his name in any and everything he's ever loved before he passes on.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-10-2019 06:46 PM #54
      Yup, and hence my concern for them. I don't know how effective the cost cap is going to be in a few years once it settled in beyond the first year, but if teams like Haas come into the sport without a chance of scoring a podium, let alone winning a race, I don't see others with deep pockets and the ability to form a real team ever wanting to step foot into F1.

TLDR: F1 needs to have Haas succeed for its longevity beyond the manufacturers' era.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      vw golf mk2 1.05 / vw golf mk3 1.6 GT / vw golf mk4 1.8T GTi / vw golf mk5 1.6 FSi
      12-11-2019 05:06 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      F1 needs to have Haas succeed for its longevity beyond the manufacturers' era.
      Agreed.
      But Haas needs to change its status from b team in order to win. You can only expect a random podium place when there is a chaotic race (see Gasly) but if you cant to really be up there you need to do work.
      That is develop your own car rather than get standard parts that others have developped for you.
      Oh, and get a proper driver line up

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

7. 12-11-2019 07:00 AM #56
      If you think about it, Haas was just like Ferrari but without the speed. They went in the wrong direction with the aero of the car like Ferrari did, except Haas never recovered. It was so bad that at the end if the season, Steiner said that they should have listened to their drivers more, the two guys we all think they should dump. It also kinda brings home my point about people, as in Ferrari's case, even with resources, if you get it wrong you pay dearly:

Magnussen
      Even in Bahrain in qualifying, we qualified… I can’t remember, sixth of something, up there. Then in the race it just completely fell apart.

“So from there on it was a little bit of panic in the team.

“We couldn’t really focus on… kind of find the real root of the problem. We were looking a lot at tyres and blaming the problem on tyres issues whereas in fact it was a little more simple.

We just had aero issues, unstable aero and the whole platform just not being strong enough and consistent, stable enough."

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/51869...he-season.html

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-11-2019 12:00 PM #57
      You guys really think these B teams ever stand a chance if they're using an A teams engine? I feel like if Haas all of sudden pulled something amazing next year, Ferrari would just delay upgrades for them ? Mercedes and Renault too. I can only see B teams that use Honda engines having a chance since there's no Honda racing team.

9. 12-11-2019 12:24 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      You guys really think these B teams ever stand a chance if they're using an A teams engine? I feel like if Haas all of sudden pulled something amazing next year, Ferrari would just delay upgrades for them ? Mercedes and Renault too. I can only see B teams that use Honda engines having a chance since there's no Honda racing team.
      I dunno, Renault has a pretty good history of rival teams doing better with their engines than the "works" Renault team

As a "get your feet wet" start up team, Haas has sweet deal with Ferrari support because it's more than just engines.

Red Bull has some very talented people, to pull off that Honda switch and achieve as much as they did was no small feat. I just don't think the Haas team is that deep, in fact they lost an engineer at season's end.

If Haas can't get better talent on the R&D side I don't see the team's fate changing. And like others, I wonder how long Haas can hang in there, it takes a long time to assemble and keep the right group of people. Without some success to draw sponsors, Haas will run out of time and money.

10. 12-11-2019 12:27 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      Rendering of the new Zandvoort banking.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Wow, that's some track!
      awesome. that banking and elevation change is great

To me that doesn't look like a track that will produce exciting racing at all. Qualifying might be electric, but as wide as these cars are, I think the excitement will end after Saturday

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      12-11-2019 12:28 PM #60
      If you think about it, Haas was just like Ferrari but without the speed. They went in the wrong direction with the aero of the car like Ferrari did, except Haas never recovered. It was so bad that at the end if the season, Steiner said that they should have listened to their drivers more, the two guys we all think they should dump. It also kinda brings home my point about people, as in Ferrari's case, even with resources, if you get it wrong you pay dearly
      Since mid-season I've begun to wonder if Steiner is the right guy for the job there.....

12. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      12-11-2019 01:21 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Since mid-season I've begun to wonder if Steiner is the right guy for the job there.....
      He's good at what he does (his carbon/racing-tech company), but you might be correct in this sentiment.

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-11-2019 02:39 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      He's good at what he does (his carbon/racing-tech company), but you might be correct in this sentiment.
      But me makes for entertaining TV

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      12-11-2019 02:45 PM #63

If Haas can't get better talent on the R&D side I don't see the team's fate changing. And like others, I wonder how long Haas can hang in there, it takes a long time to assemble and keep the right group of people. Without some success to draw sponsors, Haas will run out of time and money.
      Yeah, and the whole Rich Energy debacle indicated they must be very hard up for sponsors.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      12-11-2019 04:32 PM #64
      Vietnam circuit got an extra corner (below) while we were sleeping.

*shrugs shoulders* Not like I was in love with the original design. I hate seeing hairpins before the main straight though, so I suppose it's.... better?

16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-11-2019 04:34 PM #65
      What's the verdict. Less or more penis head now?

17. 12-11-2019 04:46 PM #66
      But me makes for entertaining TV
      Yeah, I like it when they talk to Steiner during the race, he's always good or two and his candid takes are refreshing.

I like Horner too, he usually has an interesting take on things.

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      12-11-2019 06:34 PM #67
      What's the verdict. Less or more penis head now?
      A little bit less looks like, but it's duck penis specifically.

19. 12-12-2019 07:39 AM #68
      It seems almost a given that Verstappen will leave Red Bull after 2020. Ferrari could tank again next year but I don't know it that would be enough for him to stay at RB. He will be sought after, for sure.

Verstappen had better take notes though, being disruptive and burning bridges (Max, why piss off Ferrari?) doesn't pay off long term.

As Alonso continues to look for a way back, his history stands in his way:

There have been rumors that Liberty Media looked into the possibility of Fernando Alonso joining Red Bull Racing for the 2020 season.

We immediately said we have no need for Alonso,” Marko told Auto Bild. “It won’t work because our engine partner Honda won’t have it either. The name Alonso makes the hair on their necks bristle.”

We have to give Max a car in 2020 with which he can become world champion. Otherwise, he will be gone,” said the Austrian. “Right now things are really going on behind the scenes. It will be decisive weeks.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/51920...-bristle-.html

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      12-12-2019 09:48 AM #69
      It seems almost a given that Verstappen will leave Red Bull after 2020. Ferrari could tank again next year but I don't know it that would be enough for him to stay at RB. He will be sought after, for sure.

Verstappen had better take notes though, being disruptive and burning bridges (Max, why piss off Ferrari?) doesn't pay off long term.

As Alonso continues to look for a way back, his history stands in his way:

There have been rumors that Liberty Media looked into the possibility of Fernando Alonso joining Red Bull Racing for the 2020 season.

We immediately said we have no need for Alonso,” Marko told Auto Bild. “It won’t work because our engine partner Honda won’t have it either. The name Alonso makes the hair on their necks bristle.”

We have to give Max a car in 2020 with which he can become world champion. Otherwise, he will be gone,” said the Austrian. “Right now things are really going on behind the scenes. It will be decisive weeks.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/51920...-bristle-.html
      Hmm.. but where does he go? If he wants to be competitive, it has to be either Merc or Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari wanting him- they already have a young upstart type and it seems like a LEC/Max team would be rife with conflict (even worse than now). Which basically means Merc replacing Bottas with him. Possible, but he seems more of a hothead than Merc would want under Hamilton. Decent chance that Hamilton will be going for a record 8th championship that year and adding Max to the mix might create a lot of unnecessary drama.

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-12-2019 11:36 AM #70
      Max to Ferrari and Vettel back to RBR

**** I wish Alonso could come back, but he really did burn the bridge with Honda with his time at McLaren

22. 12-12-2019 12:28 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Hmm.. but where does he go? If he wants to be competitive, it has to be either Merc or Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari wanting him- they already have a young upstart type and it seems like a LEC/Max team would be rife with conflict (even worse than now). Which basically means Merc replacing Bottas with him. Possible, but he seems more of a hothead than Merc would want under Hamilton. Decent chance that Hamilton will be going for a record 8th championship that year and adding Max to the mix might create a lot of unnecessary drama.
      My guess is Verstappen will go to Mercedes. There's been some talk of Toto and Jos Verstappen's relationship being very good and Toto publicly is very high on Max.

True that Verstappen would disruptive but Mercedes at some point has to look past Hamilton.

But who knows? There's so many rumors now it's hard to say, a lot can happen in a year.

I like making crazy amazeball guesses like Toto and Hamilton going to Ferrari with Leclerc, Vettel to Red Bull with Hulkenberg, Verstappen with Bottas at Mercedes. Never happen but it's fun to juggle them around and imagine outcomes.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      12-12-2019 12:38 PM #72

**** I wish Alonso could come back, but he really did burn the bridge with Honda with his time at McLaren
      Honda did deserve harsh criticism, though. Their power unit was junk.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

24. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-12-2019 01:00 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Honda did deserve harsh criticism, though. Their power unit was junk.
      Yea I completely agree.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-12-2019 02:30 PM #74

While the Japanese seem have a longer memory than most, without Verstappen RBR has no real chance of winning anything. So if he leaves, and Alonso is available, I think they make amends and he can be back in F1 with Honda.

I think taking Vettel at RBR, if Verstappen leaves, is a big gamble. He's shown that under the right circumstances, he's still lightning fast. But at anything less, he's really struggling. If anything, Verstappen has shown to be more Alonso like, which he himself proclaimed he was a few years back, to where he's able to drag the car into contention even when it's far off from the top car in the field.

26. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-12-2019 02:32 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      While the Japanese seem have a longer memory than most, without Verstappen RBR has no real chance of winning anything. So if he leaves, and Alonso is available, I think they make amends and he can be back in F1 with Honda.

I think taking Vettel at RBR, if Verstappen leaves, is a big gamble. He's shown that under the right circumstances, he's still lightning fast. But at anything less, he's really struggling. If anything, Verstappen has shown to be more Alonso like, which he himself proclaimed he was a few years back, to where he's able to drag the car into contention even when it's far off from the top car in the field.
      It also hinges on how well Albon does and if Max leaves, could he become a #1 driver there and they promote another rookie

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast