The Car Lounge
    Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2312

Thread: The 2020 F1 Countdown Thread

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      04-08-2020 08:57 PM #1251
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      19 sounds rather ambitious, but I think at least 8 races should be totally doable, even if they have to be conducted without fans.
      I think those claims are hyperbole on behalf of F1 to prevent certain teams from threatening to close-up shop for good, or looking elsewhere to race. To me, it just gives F1 room for argument, to tell the teams as of right now they're still looking to have a significant season.

In reality, we just don't know. Until there's a vaccine or a proven cure for COVID-19, it's going to be a guessing game.

As a avid and die-hard F1 fan since the late '80s, I want F1 back as much as anyone else. I'm just not buying what seem like overly optimistic statements by F1. I agree with you that 8, maybe 6 races might be possible, maybe. And that's better than nothing if it helps generate some money for the teams, presumably all from TV revenue.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      04-08-2020 10:44 PM #1252
      Regarding closed-door racing, I'd argue crowds have the least amount of impact on racing than any other sport. Drivers can't hear them and outside of long straights with no one else around, they're not looking in the stands either.

Biggest letdown would be the quiet podium ceremonies but that's a small price to pay for actually racing.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      04-08-2020 11:15 PM #1253
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Regarding closed-door racing, I'd argue crowds have the least amount of impact on racing than any other sport. Drivers can't hear them and outside of long straights with no one else around, they're not looking in the stands either.

Biggest letdown would be the quiet podium ceremonies but that's a small price to pay for actually racing.
      Agreed. No one watching on TV really cares about the crowds.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      04-08-2020 11:28 PM #1254
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Except the camera director. Who's he going to show in the crowd when the pass of the year is taking place? What's he supposed to do, show the cars?

Vehicles
      04-09-2020 01:31 AM #1255
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Except the camera director. Who's he going to show in the crowd when the pass of the year is taking place? What's he supposed to do, show the cars?
      Oh no! Not the cars!

In all seriousness, I watched the 1997 Euro GP replay today. Great race. Very, VERY few shots of the stands. Also, very few shots of anyone but Villeneuve or Schummi. You almost forget McLaren are in the race until the very end even.
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      04-09-2020 07:29 AM #1256
      After 2020, maybe we'll see big pharma as a replacement for big tobacco.

Plaquenil Williams Racing (r)

Aralen Alfa Romeo Racing

Honestly, I say let alcohol, tobacco, big pharma sponsor whatever they want in F1.

BTW, did you guys read that Helmut Marko wanted to infect his drivers just "to get it over with". Said they are young and fit and would recover fine. Seems they weren't too happy with that thought.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 04-09-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Vehicles
      04-09-2020 02:17 PM #1257

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      04-10-2020 12:48 PM #1258
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Honestly, I say let alcohol, tobacco, big pharma sponsor whatever they want in F1.

BTW, did you guys read that Helmut Marko wanted to infect his drivers just "to get it over with". Said they are young and fit and would recover fine. Seems they weren't too happy with that thought.
      I'm having a hard time understanding why people lost their minds over this.

Am I the only one that remembers people actively trying to get their kids infected with chicken pox to get it over with?

Sent from my octopus using Tapatalk
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 01:52 PM #1259
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post

Am I the only one that remembers people actively trying to get their kids infected with chicken pox to get it over with?
      I think the relative death rate is the difference. Chickenpox is like .001% whereas so far we're seeing something like a 3% deathrate with COVID-19, although that figure is hard to say since we don't know exactly how many people actually have been infected by it.

But nevertheless, we do know it's killing a good number of those infected, hence the outrage over it. To Marko's credit, I do believe he his thought wasn't meant to be evil, even if it was tone deaf.

11. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      04-10-2020 01:54 PM #1260
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post

True, cheering them during the event is pretty pointless. It's during cautions and after when driver's really notice the crowds.

My local track is part of the fairgrounds. During the yearly state fair in our county we still race. My b-i-l went out to qualify and driving into turn 1 he comes over the radio, "OMG. I can smell the Onion-Aire burger stand!"

You'd be surprised what drivers can observe on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      I care about the crowds. Despite being able to see only a fraction of what you can compared to TV coverage, live sports is a fantastic experience all fans should experience.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 02:03 PM #1261
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Despite being able to see only a fraction of what you can compared to TV coverage, live sports is a fantastic experience all fans should experience.

"I remember back in the day when you could go and watch sporting events in person and a watered down beer cost only $10!"

-GreenandChrome in the year 2070

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 03:03 PM #1262
      They are streaming the 2019 Italian GP. If you haven't watched it, I suggest tuning in. The battle between Eclair and Mercedes keeps you on the edge of your seat for quite a few laps.

Edit: Watching it again now. I forgot how action-packed it was besides the front of the race. Verstappen, Albon/Sainz, Stroll/Vettel. Def one of the best races of the season.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 04-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      04-11-2020 04:58 PM #1263
      I found this in a stack of stuff I brought back from my Mom's house the other day. For some reason, my 2nd grade self felt like it needed sidepipes, fire from the tires and smoke (exhaust?) from the engine.

Can anyone guess what car the doodle was based on?

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      04-11-2020 07:55 PM #1264

I remember hearing about chicken pox sleepover parties that the parents would arrange. Get a dozen at a time.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

Vehicles
      04-11-2020 08:09 PM #1265
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I found this in a stack of stuff I brought back from my Mom's house the other day. For some reason, my 2nd grade self felt like it needed sidepipes, fire from the tires and smoke (exhaust?) from the engine.

Can anyone guess what car the doodle was based on?
      I'm guessing Lauda's Ferrari 312T?

17. 04-12-2020 08:02 AM #1266
      Sir Stirling Moss has passed away at age 90.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...2ViqYIL5y.html

Vehicles
      04-12-2020 10:06 AM #1267
      I'm guessing Lauda's Ferrari 312T?

That's exactly what I thought. The 312T debuted in 1975 and ran the big airbox until they were banned 3 races into 1976. Lauda raced with the "1" for the 1976 season.

19. 04-12-2020 11:37 AM #1268
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaspherion View Post
      Sir Stirling Moss has passed away at age 90.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...2ViqYIL5y.html
      A legend.

How about this? Narrow tires and using body language

20. 04-12-2020 12:09 PM #1269

From Lewis on the Legend:

"Today we say goodbye to Sir Stirling Moss, the racing legend," said Hamilton. "I think it's important that we celebrate his incredible life and the great man he was.

"Saying goodbye is never easy and can be sad but he will always be here, in our memories and will always be such a huge part of British Motorsports Heritage."
      "I certainly will miss our conversations," Hamilton added. "To be honest, it was such an unusual pairing, our friendship. Two people from massively different times and backgrounds but we clicked and ultimately found that the love for racing we both shared made us comrades.

"I am truly grateful to have had these special moments with him. Sending my prayers and thoughts to his family. May he rest in peace."

Drivers give tribute:

Rest In Peace Sir Stirling. #Legend https://t.co/FLhUFe0vDX
      — Charles Leclerc (@Charles_Leclerc) April 12, 2020

RIP Sir Stirling Moss. A mighty racer and gentleman. He had a press on style on the track and in life. Remarkable man. Survived the most dangerous era of motorsport and died today aged 90. He had such great stories to tell, and it was a privilege to know him. 😢
      — Martin Brundle (@MBrundleF1) April 12, 2020

Rip Sir 🙏🏼 https://t.co/THS5v7ooOx
      — Valtteri Bottas (@ValtteriBottas) April 12, 2020

Sad sad news that legend Sir Stirling Moss has passed.
      World Champion in all our eyes.. pic.twitter.com/xtk12ifh1s
      — Johnny Herbert (@johnnyherbertf1) April 12, 2020

Sir Stirling Moss was the last of his kind - his passing marks the end of an era. Forever a racer.https://t.co/TbUaIWYlS3
      — Ted Kravitz (@tedkravitz) April 12, 2020

RIP Sir Stirling Moss.

Only had the pleasure of meeting him briefly a couple of times but even that was enough to understand why he was so highly respected.

My thoughts are with his family.
      — George Russell (@GeorgeRussell63) April 12, 2020

RIP Sir Stirling Moss, what a legend. Has to be one of the kindest men I have ever met. A true ambassador of our sport, I was lucky enough to be working at some great events with the man over the years. I will always be a big fan. #legend
      — Paul Di Resta (@PaulDiResta) April 12, 2020

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-racing-legend

21. 04-13-2020 08:35 AM #1270
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I really enjoyed this video. On the upside, 90 years old is a good long life, ESPECIALLY for an F1 driver that raced in the era in which Moss did. Still sad though.

22. 04-14-2020 07:45 AM #1271
      So what was it that made your afternoon with Mrs. Daup so "very, very good"? wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

Vehicles
      04-14-2020 08:26 AM #1272
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaspherion View Post
      So what was it that made your afternoon with Mrs. Daup so "very, very good"? wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.
      I know, it's so non-specific. It's not even for all day, just a "good afternoon." Maybe I hung my jacket up after recess or didn't pee my pants or something.

24. 04-14-2020 08:29 AM #1273
      I know, it's so non-specific. It's not even for all day, just a "good afternoon." Maybe I hung my jacket up after recess or didn't pee my pants or something.
      Well that isn't nearly as interesting as the completely inappropriate scenario I had cooked up in my puerile mind. I was leaning more towards an "afternoon delight" scenario. Oh well. Good job on hanging up your jacket or keeping your pants dry. Well done.

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      04-14-2020 10:20 AM #1274
      76?

so you're one of the vortex old guys i always hear about.

shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      04-14-2020 04:11 PM #1275
      76?

so you're one of the vortex old guys i always hear about.

I know, as I did the math in my head I was just happy to see a Vortex guy that was two years older than me!
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast