VWVortex.com - Are Glass Touch Screens Safe To Use While Driving?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Glass Touch Screens Safe To Use While Driving?

Hybrid View

1. 12-01-2019 04:53 PM #1
      I have noticed that some of the premium brands (Audi, Porsche, Land Rover, others) have totally replaced the switches with glass touch panels. Both on the console and up on the dash.

I am thinking no and here is why. There is not tactile feedback indicating which button you are hitting, you have to look down at it to see what you are hitting.

How is this any different than looking down at your smartphone?

Or am I totally off on this?

2. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      12-01-2019 05:00 PM #2
      yes. and no.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

3. 12-01-2019 05:40 PM #3
      They're not at all safe for the purpose to which they are being put to use.

What they are, is fashionable and attractive to ignorant buyers who are looking for "oooo, shiny".

Idiots rule the world.

It's no different than California trying to dictate how the rest of the country behaves. The latest to hit me is the default password business.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-01-2019 05:56 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      They're not at all safe for the purpose to which they are being put to use.

What they are, is fashionable and attractive to ignorant buyers who are looking for "oooo, shiny".

Idiots rule the world.

It's no different than California trying to dictate how the rest of the country behaves. The latest to hit me is the default password business.
      Yeah I call the touchscreen thing showroom selling. **** is dazzling in the showroom but a **** show on the road. By the time you figure it out the sale is final.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      12-01-2019 06:54 PM #5
      My next door neighbors just got a 2020 Santa Fe.

The only thing she could tell me about it is that they don't need the key to open the rear hatch and they can remote start it with Alexa.

Looks like the salesmen are telling them the important stuff.

6. 12-01-2019 07:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      My next door neighbors just got a 2020 Santa Fe.

The only thing she could tell me about it is that they don't need the key to open the rear hatch and they can remote start it with Alexa.

Looks like the salesmen are telling them the important stuff.
      That sounds like a Homer Simpson moment. "Well, it's an SUV. And you can remote start it with Alexa." "SOLD!"

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      12-02-2019 03:36 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      they can remote start it with Alexa.
      my wife would be sold.
      signatures are annoying, right?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      12-02-2019 03:57 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      It's honestly not as bad as you all make it out to be.

I've had my Q8 for a little over a week now, and I'm already used to the screens. I generally don't fiddle with settings anyway, since I have things set automatically (ergonomics, heated seats and steering wheel, streaming music, climate control) or I adjust it when I first start the car. I'm still learning the system, but like most new technologies, it's a lot less intimidating with a few days of practice.
      Of course it isn't.

Reponsive high resolution 8"+ touchscreens with snappy software are not hard to use. Voice is great too.

But of course all systems are not created equal, so the existence of any feature in a modern car takes a back seat to how well the manufacturer executes that feature.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      12-01-2019 07:46 PM #9
      "safe"? of course not. (and since absolutely no one is driving these "unguided cruise missiles") and i do mean all vehicles, it's just a throw of the dice before someone smacks you in the butt because no one is paying attention.
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

10. 12-01-2019 07:51 PM #10
      Definitely not as safe as analog. These Audi interiors look gorgeous without fingerprints. And without sun shining on them. In professional photographs. Are people having trouble seeing the lower Audi screens with sun/fingerprints or are they bright enough to be fine? Wonder how dated these "geewhiz" interiors will look in 10 years. "Lol dad you actually had to TOUCH the screens to use them??"

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle
      12-01-2019 08:10 PM #11
      Pretty safe when you're stopped at a red light. Although other drivers will honk you if you're lost in the menu screens and didn't notice the traffic light has turned green.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      12-01-2019 08:32 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TheCool View Post
      Definitely not as safe as analog. These Audi interiors look gorgeous without fingerprints. And without sun shining on them. In professional photographs. Are people having trouble seeing the lower Audi screens with sun/fingerprints or are they bright enough to be fine? Wonder how dated these "geewhiz" interiors will look in 10 years. "Lol dad you actually had to TOUCH the screens to use them??"

it's gonna be real tough to convert these to rally cars when they're old junkers and you can't turn on defrost and hold a drift at the same time.
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

13. 12-01-2019 08:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TheCool View Post
      Wonder how dated these "geewhiz" interiors will look in 10 years.
      Well, the screens will be blank. Or partially so.

Unrepairable is what they'll look like.

14. 12-01-2019 09:00 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      Well, the screens will be blank. Or partially so.

Unrepairable is what they'll look like.
      This. Talk about planned obsolescence... The entire system can and will almost certainly be compromised, if not completely disabled, due to any small glitch. Also: Can they be operated with gloves on, regardless of the material? Are they visible regardless of lighting or glare, even with polarized sunglasses? Any special cleaning or maintenance instructions? Temperature limits? You know, stuff you wouldn't have to worry about ever with mechanical switches that have worked so well for decades... Generations... More than a century...

Vehicles
      2009 Subaru WRX, 2003 Subaru Baja
      12-02-2019 02:24 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Was Matlock not on TV today? Is that why all of the Boomers are in this thread?
      Remember when people didn't look at what they were reaching for until touch screens came out?

Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      This. Talk about planned obsolescence... The entire system can and will almost certainly be compromised, if not completely disabled, due to any small glitch. Also: Can they be operated with gloves on, regardless of the material? Are they visible regardless of lighting or glare, even with polarized sunglasses? Any special cleaning or maintenance instructions? Temperature limits? You know, stuff you wouldn't have to worry about ever with mechanical switches that have worked so well for decades... Generations... More than a century...
      I have an App Radio 3, which is a touch screen, and it works with gloves on as long as they have the conductive finger tips. I was actually surprised how well Docker's gloves with Intellitouch work. Even the loose fabric in the tip of the finger will trigger the buttons on the screen, so you don't need to press at all or struggle to find just the right part of the glove that is conductive, etc.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

16. 12-01-2019 09:04 PM #16
      I saw this in a Land Rove Velar the other day.

And this 2019 Audi A7:

This can't possibly be safe but has to be cheaper to make. One panel with no moving parts.

When it gets old - the car will have to be scrapped.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      12-01-2019 09:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post

This can't possibly be safe but has to be cheaper to make. One panel with no moving parts.

When it gets old - the car will have to be scrapped.
      ... So is it cheaper or not?

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      12-01-2019 09:06 PM #18
      No, not safe at all. It should be against the law to have to find a menu just to turn up the heat.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

19. Member
      Vehicles
      12-01-2019 09:12 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      No, not safe at all. It should be against the law to have to find a menu just to turn up the heat.
      Which cars have climate settings only behind a menu?

20. 12-01-2019 08:33 PM #20
      Theyd be perfectly fine if there werent oem nag screens and unexpected lockout of most usable functions that cause far far more problems keeping your eye off the road.

I will never ever pay for any oem system that has sny of that BS. Give me analog buttons that dont disable over 5 mph or need a goddamn update.

Thankfully carplay and android auto have negated most of this BS.

12-01-2019 10:04 PM #21
      Learn to use your car’s voice commands. Problem solved. Certainly cheaper to make and incorporate the level of feature complexity the marketing types believe the market demands of the manufacturer. If you’re lucky your car lasts until planned obsolescence kicks in. Few ever make it that far in real life. Don’t like it? Then drive old cars and keep them running in perpetuity.

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Forte EX
      12-01-2019 10:33 PM #22
      A bunch of the implementations have haptic feedback to mitigate the lack of sensory feedback compared to a push button. Personally I'd prefer a mix of hard buttons and a touchscreen, but I'm sure with time I could get used to a jog dial.

I do believe that climate should be completely divorced from the touchscreen - hard buttons and knobs only.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Learn to use your car’s voice commands. Problem solved. Certainly cheaper to make and incorporate the level of feature complexity the marketing types believe the market demands of the manufacturer. If you’re lucky your car lasts until planned obsolescence kicks in. Few ever make it that far in real life. Don’t like it? Then drive old cars and keep them running in perpetuity.
      To be fair though, most cars with voice command are terrible at it, mine included.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      12-01-2019 10:43 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
      I do believe that climate should be completely divorced from the touchscreen - hard buttons and knobs only.
      Me too. Same with everything else "car." That way when the screen or the interface stops working, you can still turn on the rear defroster, adjust the mirrors, seats, etc..

Not like we can do anything to stop them.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      12-01-2019 10:46 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
      A bunch of the implementations have haptic feedback to mitigate the lack of sensory feedback compared to a push button. Personally I'd prefer a mix of hard buttons and a touchscreen, but I'm sure with time I could get used to a jog dial.
      I think one thing the doomsdayers are glossing over is that the vast majority of these screen-heavy systems also have redundant physical controls for the most common inputs anyway. Sure there are outliers, but I think it's unfair to malign the whole trend because of some bad examples.

12-01-2019 11:04 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      I think one thing the doomsdayers are glossing over is that the vast majority of these screen-heavy systems also have redundant physical controls for the most common inputs anyway. Sure there are outliers, but I think it's unfair to malign the whole trend because of some bad examples.
      Most of those “redundant physical controls” are no more than digital encoders for sending signals to the respective controller via the canbus. So their long term reliability is perhaps just as suspect as the flat screen. There are multiple kinds of redundancy and the devil’s in the details. Modern cars are meant to be removed from service and recycled after 15-20 years anyhow. No one is going to invest in the design integrity/ robustness and aggressive maintenance schedule that is required to see modern cars last any longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast