VWVortex.com - Question for the local Guitar Heroes (because the instrument subforum is dead)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for the local Guitar Heroes (because the instrument subforum is dead)

1. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 A4 Titanium, '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      Yesterday 01:54 PM #51
      That Gibson is an amazing gift, and one that your son will treasure for a lifetime. I have had my 1971 Les Paul Sunburst Standard since 1978 and about a decade ago my wife dropped it while she was moving it, breaking the headstock which is at the top of the neck. They are very fragile there, and most vintage models out there on the market have been damaged in that same spot. They can be fixed by very carefully gluing them by the hands of a professional Luthier and will play just as well as they did prior to being broken, but just tell him to be careful with it.

As for my regular playing and practicing amp, I have a Fender Champion 100 that I use with my Gibson, my Strats and acoustics. The most important thing is to practice and to develop a good tone, then throw electronics at it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      Yesterday 02:20 PM #52
      Even a little 20 watt tube amp will keep up with a drummer (in other words, LOUD). The main reason most traditional large heads are like 100w is because you need that extra wattage in order to be able to play clean tones at decent volume without any breakup. For volume with distortion you really don't need much power and for rock music you can just hit the front of the amp harder with a pedal or hotter pickups to get the distortion you want without a ton of volume.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; Yesterday at 02:23 PM.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      Yesterday 02:24 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      That Gibson is an amazing gift, and one that your son will treasure for a lifetime. I have had my 1971 Les Paul Sunburst Standard since 1978 and about a decade ago my wife dropped it while she was moving it, breaking the headstock which is at the top of the neck. They are very fragile there, and most vintage models out there on the market have been damaged in that same spot. They can be fixed by very carefully gluing them by the hands of a professional Luthier and will play just as well as they did prior to being broken, but just tell him to be careful with it.

As for my regular playing and practicing amp, I have a Fender Champion 100 that I use with my Gibson, my Strats and acoustics. The most important thing is to practice and to develop a good tone, then throw electronics at it.
      Yeah, I actually meant to mention that earlier in one of my posts. LP's are known for breaking headstocks if they fall over. So it may be obvious but tell him to be careful not to drop it or have it fall off the stand.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      Yesterday 02:37 PM #54
      Appreciate the cautionary advice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      Yesterday 03:19 PM #55
      If amps are up for discussion, I'm going to go off the beaten path and suggest a Fender Bassman. Personal preference.

I will also throw in for Peavey. I've run Peavey stuff all over the place and it is dead nuts reliable, sound is really stable (no heat soaking issues, even on old stuff), and their spring reverb heads are just the cat's pyjamas.

Oh.... so. on that note.... a real spring reverb unit, not a simulated one. A real spring reverb is more fun than you can imagine for rock and blues. If you can find a box one, he can push it around on the floor to make it flutter. One of the bands I did sound for had a guy who's whole responsibility was manipulating their spring head. It was like watching a Thermin player, but picking it up and waving the whole thing around instead of waving your hands at it.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

7. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      Yesterday 03:28 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Appreciate the cautionary advice.
      Also, don't buy a custom guitar from Japan. A Vortexer will woo you out of it, later to almost get you kicked out of your favorite karaoke bar.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      Yesterday 04:49 PM #57
      One of those Hattori Hanzo guitars? I've heard about those.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

9. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      Yesterday 04:50 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Ah yes. I busted the headstock on my '74 LP twice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      Yesterday 04:51 PM #59
      One of those Hattori Hanzo guitars? I've heard about those.
      Allllllmost.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

11. Yesterday 08:43 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Also, don't buy a custom guitar from Japan. A Vortexer will woo you out of it, later to almost get you kicked out of your favorite karaoke bar.
      It sounds like you need to hang out with a better class of people.

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      Yesterday 09:08 PM #61
      and a cheesy little amp.
      With a sign on the the front that said 'Fender Champ'?
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      MkIII VR6 Lawn Ornament, 89 Helios
      Today 01:31 PM #62
      Like others'have said get him lesson's. And for a pedal Boss HM-2, cause that sh1* shreds.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      Today 02:09 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Japan CSB. I bought a late 80s Japanese Strat from a buddy for $225 back in the earlyt 90s. It was stage backup, and I recorded a few things with it. I wasn't a Fender fan, but whatever. It did the job.

I would have been a little nicer to it if I knew people were asking this much money for this. What the hell? It was a cheap alternative to an American Strat.
      https://reverb.com/item/13941716-198...hardshell-case
      Last edited by @McMike; Today at 02:37 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      Today 04:54 PM #64
      Maryland CSB.

I grew up very close to Paul Reed Smith's house, he graduated from my high school 2 yrs before my older brother - they knew each other, several of my HS friends have worked in his shop for close to 30 years and I used to attend his annual Xmas parties when guys like Carlos Santana would show up at 11pm and a 2-3 hr jam session would take place. Both my brothers have custom PRS guitars.

...Kathy Lee Gifford also lived close by us but that's another story.
      Last edited by tbvvw; Today at 04:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123