VWVortex.com - Poll: Battle For The Hatchback Replacement
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge

    View Poll Results: Battle For The Hatchback Replacement

    Voters
    63. You may not vote on this poll
    • Audi Q3

      1 1.59%
    • Audi SQ5

      7 11.11%
    • Audi S5 Sportback

      12 19.05%
    • Porsche Macan S

      9 14.29%
    • VW GTI

      15 23.81%
    • VW Golf R

      15 23.81%
    • Other

      9 14.29%
    • None Of The Above

      7 11.11%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 43

    Thread: Poll: Battle For The Hatchback Replacement

    1. 12-02-2019 02:19 PM #1
      Considering getting another car. I own a house so it has to be semi-practical. I occasionally carry stuff (Home Depot or bust) and people (wife, father, friends - no kids). I like my sporty driving cars but it has to be reasonably practical or I would have had that 911 already. Have had a bunch of VWs, a Ford, an Acura and an Audi. Sedans are just too impractical and full lumpy blown SUVs (at least the ones that drive like crap) are out.*

      Will probably buy used but for the sake of argument 70K tops. The next car must have the following:

      -4 doors
      -Hatchback
      -AWD or FWD
      -0-60mph in the 6s or less
      -Handle well

      Considering some of the following. Post and tell me why/why not.

      Audi Q3
      Audi SQ5
      Audi S5 Sportback
      Porsche Macan S
      VW GTI
      VW Golf R
      Others....
      None of the above
      Last edited by tincanman99; 12-02-2019 at 02:26 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 12-02-2019 02:22 PM #2
      $70K?

      Macan, Stelvio, E-class wagon, SRT GC
      _________________________________________________
      current: '18 Giulia Ti Sport, '19 HRV Sport, '09 Fit Sport
      ig:wiscocrashtest

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2015
      Location
      So MD
      Posts
      594
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4
      12-02-2019 02:37 PM #3
      No love for the performance car of the year? Hyundai Veloster N


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      20,626
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      12-02-2019 02:43 PM #4
      Stelvio
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    6. Member andlf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2008
      Location
      CTG, NC
      Posts
      8,264
      Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      12-02-2019 03:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      $70K?

      Macan, Stelvio, E-class wagon, SRT GC
      This.
      Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,710
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-02-2019 03:27 PM #6
      Voted S5, assuming the liftback is adequate for your hatch requirement? Liftbacks are great for long stuff and assorted stuff, but not great if you need to say, pick-up a desk on craigslist.

    8. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,440
      Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-02-2019 03:31 PM #7
      Stelvio!




      *i'm just trying to get as many TCL'ers into an Alfa as possible.

    9. 12-02-2019 04:20 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Voted S5, assuming the liftback is adequate for your hatch requirement? Liftbacks are great for long stuff and assorted stuff, but not great if you need to say, pick-up a desk on craigslist.
      Desks dont fit in my current car so I am good.

    10. 12-02-2019 04:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Stelvio!




      *i'm just trying to get as many TCL'ers into an Alfa as possible.
      Um... yeah. I guess you want to see how many lose their minds when the dealerships close and there are no parts as well ?

    11. 12-02-2019 04:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      $70K?

      Macan, Stelvio, E-class wagon, SRT GC
      This.

      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      This.
      Have always Jeeps were pretty bad in terms of reliability.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2015
      Location
      Cleveland, OH
      Posts
      1,132
      Vehicles
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      12-02-2019 04:28 PM #11
      Macan S, or Stelvio QF (or non QF?) - these 2 easily outhandle all but maybe the GTI / Golf R (and only because they're lower).
      SQ5 or S5 SB come in 2nd.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

    13. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,440
      Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-02-2019 05:04 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      Um... yeah. I guess you want to see how many lose their minds when the dealerships close and there are no parts as well ?
      See, the more TCL'ers that buy these things means the less likelihood of **** going under.

    14. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,473
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-02-2019 05:18 PM #13
      Just get a GTI.
      Instagram - efrie004

    15. Member johnny_p's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Philly
      Posts
      2,079
      Vehicles
      2017 STI
      12-02-2019 05:21 PM #14
      Out of that list, S5 sportback.

      I like the new RDX's with the schwinn transmissions. I'd look at one of those too.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

    16. Member BlakeV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2015
      Location
      Original join 1999
      Posts
      1,880
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      12-02-2019 06:19 PM #15
      Why comparing 35K or 45 to 70K cars ?

      For that reason, go with the lower range ones.

      If you ask me, I am biased but would go S5 again. I love having a narrow & low platform with a big heart. Second I would consider the Macan S V6, but I am not in trucks or truck wannabees.

    17. 12-02-2019 06:25 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      Why comparing 35K or 45 to 70K cars ?

      For that reason, go with the lower range ones.

      If you ask me, I am biased but would go S5 again. I love having a narrow & low platform with a big heart. Second I would consider the Macan S V6, but I am not in trucks or truck wannabees.
      I havent decided how much I want to spend and am evaluating my options. Want to hear what others thing. I see that you have an S5 Sportback. I think thats its truly a beautiful car. Tell me about it if you dont mind.

      People have already suggested things that I have not thought of - like a Grand Cherokee or a Mercedes wagon (I didnt know they even made them still).

      My view is if I am going to buy a truck I want a real truck not something pretending to be one ie. most CUV

    18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      12,473
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-02-2019 06:27 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      I havent decided how much I want to spend and am evaluating my options. Want to hear what others thing.

      People have already suggested things that I have not thought of - like a Grand Cherokee or a Mercedes wagon (I didnt know they even made them still).

      My view is if I am going to buy a truck I want a real truck not something pretending to be one ie. most CUV
      You should buy two GTI's then invest the rest in spare parts.
      Instagram - efrie004

    19. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,160
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      12-02-2019 06:28 PM #18
      Buy a fast $40-50k car that is fun, and then a $10k pickup for your practical needs.

    20. Member Khyron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2001
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      4,777
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 13 FR-S, 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta 1.8T
      12-02-2019 06:30 PM #19
      Depends on snow - if you're in snowbelt/Canada, get the R with dsg - if Florida then N or GTI probably.

      I wouldn't go back to FWD even with studded snows, but in the summer I can't tell driving normally.

    21. Member 1Point8TDan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2003
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      8,976
      Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      12-02-2019 06:39 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      Depends on snow - if you're in snowbelt/Canada, get the R with dsg - if Florida then N or GTI probably.
      Given the small difference in price btw a equally loaded GTI and Golf R, it does not make sense to get a GTI unless you dont care for leather and really want a sunroof.

      The only two non SUV options for me are C43 or R.

    22. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      20,898
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      12-02-2019 07:02 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      Given the small difference in price btw a equally loaded GTI and Golf R, it does not make sense to get a GTI unless you dont care for leather and really want a sunroof.

      The only two non SUV options for me are C43 or R.
      That "small" price difference isn't really small at all once the real world sets in. You'll get a couple of grand off an R and end up somewhere in the high 30s. Conversely, you'll get way more off a similarly-optioned GTI. A $34k SE can easily end up being $27k. That's a $10k delta. As an example of what non-Rs actually go for down here (and Canadialand may be different), I negotiated a 35th Anniversary Jetta GLI deal yesterday for my cousin. $28,XXX MSRP car for $22.5k, and it took almost no work for that more-than-$6k discount.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    23. Member kiznarsh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,722
      Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      12-02-2019 07:28 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You should buy two GTI's then invest the rest in various mutual funds and take the other half over to your friend Asadulah who works in securities...
      Fixed

    24. 12-02-2019 09:23 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
      Depends on snow - if you're in snowbelt/Canada, get the R with dsg - if Florida then N or GTI probably.

      I wouldn't go back to FWD even with studded snows, but in the summer I can't tell driving normally.
      Not in Canada but I am in the northeast US - we had ice/freezing rain yesterday and today freezing rain or snow. Its early for us, we usually dont see it till mid to late December or January. I have done ok with FWD but AWD or 4WD is better obviously.

      Would prefer something that does great in bad weather which is why I want AWD. Quattro is obviously a known thing as is a Jeep of course.

    25. Member 1Point8TDan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2003
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      8,976
      Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      12-02-2019 09:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      That "small" price difference isn't really small at all once the real world sets in. You'll get a couple of grand off an R and end up somewhere in the high 30s. Conversely, you'll get way more off a similarly-optioned GTI. A $34k SE can easily end up being $27k. That's a $10k delta. As an example of what non-Rs actually go for down here (and Canadialand may be different), I negotiated a 35th Anniversary Jetta GLI deal yesterday for my cousin. $28,XXX MSRP car for $22.5k, and it took almost no work for that more-than-$6k discount.
      MSRP is about $5k difference for 70 hp and AWD. With our climate, its worth it for the AWD. I'm sure GTI are discounted more as I rarely see them but I see lots of R's. And since we dont have traffic all day, you can enjoy those 70 extra hp!

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2014
      Location
      Corning, NY
      Posts
      2,750
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      12-02-2019 10:00 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      Not in Canada but I am in the northeast US - we had ice/freezing rain yesterday and today freezing rain or snow. Its early for us, we usually dont see it till mid to late December or January. I have done ok with FWD but AWD or 4WD is better obviously.

      Would prefer something that does great in bad weather which is why I want AWD. Quattro is obviously a known thing as is a Jeep of course.
      I went with winter tires. Try it.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •