VWVortex.com - Pumpkin VW Android 9.0 Head Unit Review
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Pumpkin VW Android 9.0 Head Unit Review

1. 12-02-2019 10:37 PM #1
      Hi guys,

I bought an Android 9.0 car stereo for my VW Passat on Pumpkin official website. The product code is AA0437B.
      I have had this stereo for about a month now and I got to say it's the best thing I have put in my car not only does it look awesome you can install any app on it.
      I would be lost without it. I recommend this stereo to anyone who is interested but not sure whether to buy it.
      I fitted this in my 2014 VW Passat which was really easy to do. perfect if you spend a lot of time waiting in the car for the wife while she is shopping or you doing the school run.
      The touch screen is good and the quality of the display is good I use Waze for navigation which works perfectly.
      I hope this review helps you out make a decision to buy it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 CC 4Motion Exec Vr6, 2004 Vr6 GLI 6MT, 2004 Audi Allroad 6MT
      12-02-2019 11:27 PM #2
      What's Pumpkins history with updating and service for those Android head units?

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t 6spd
      2010 VW CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Ex
      2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6 6spd

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '16 B7 Passat
      12-09-2019 06:44 PM #3
      That's useful info... thank you.

Along these lines, I tried the Bremmen 9 inch Andriod unit a few years ago (from ECS Tuning). That model had a Rockchip quad-core (PX3?) RK3188 processor and Android 5. It was PAINFULLY slow; I recall driving to work, stopping at the gas station about a mile from home and it still had not started playing music! I returned it (ECS is a great company to work with when things go wrong).

I absolutely LOVED the way it looked in my dash and am looking at their newer version, which now has a Rockchip octa-core PX5 (double the cores, but at a slightly slower clock speed than the quad-core).

I believe the Pumpkin you reference has a Rockchip RK3399 (AKA PX6?), which is a hex-core (it mixes half the PX5 with an A72 dual-core). I am looking at the datasheet for both processors and (as you would expect), an apples-to-apples comparison is difficult, but it appears the RK3399 has the edge (processing speed, larger caches) and from the naming (which I have not clarified), if it is a PX6, it implies its an upgrade over the PX5.

Can you comment on system speed? Is it fast enough that you aren't frustrated waiting for it? It doesn't need to run regressions, I just need it not be so painfully slow that I pull it out of my dash and return it!

Also, are you using the ODB interface and do your steering wheel controls work? How about your backup camera? I have heard I can convert my backup camera to an RCA signal for about 20 bucks.
      Last edited by jbschroeder; 12-09-2019 at 07:11 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 12-09-2019 11:24 PM #4
      Hi,

The unit I am using is PX5, but I have known that Pumpkin has a PX6 head unit for VW now. The Rockchip is RK3399.
      I think the system speed is good. It responses quickly, even if I have installed applications on it.
      I do not use the OBD now. But the steering wheel control and backup camera are working well. The steering wheel control lines are the same as the original one. So it is easy to install.