VWVortex.com - Audi A3 fwd to Awd
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Audi A3 fwd to Awd

1. 12-03-2019 03:54 PM #1
      I know this has been talked about and there is always someone saying it’s cheaper to just buy a quattro but I would like people to be able to find out exactly what it takes to get a 2.0t fwd to become a Quattro. So first I am looking to find what is the best donor car for this (year, model, engine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      12-03-2019 04:44 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Fsimotor View Post
      I know this has been talked about and there is always someone saying it’s cheaper to just buy a quattro but I would like people to be able to find out exactly what it takes to get a 2.0t fwd to become a Quattro. So first I am looking to find what is the best donor car for this (year, model, engine).

What year/engine is your current car? If you have a 2006-2008 with the 2.0T FSI engine, your best bet would likely be the Mk6 Golf R as I believe the transmission bolt patterns are the same. Of course, that car only came with a manual transmission, if you're ok with that. The rest of the pieces would take some fab work to either swap the rear floor pan or install some mounting points for the fuel tank, prop shaft carrier, etc. at the very least. Swap the trans, fuel tank, complete rear subframe, etc.

If you have a 2008.5+ with the 2.0TSI engine, you could just find a quattro variant of that car and swap all the needed pieces over.

4. 12-03-2019 05:15 PM #3
      I have 2007 2.0 FSi. So I was looking at the Audi TT with dsg which would be just like mine and I believe the one on the 3.2l is same transmission but Quattro. So would I be better off with pre 2008 or 2008 and after tt.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-03-2019 08:14 PM #4

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3
      12-03-2019 11:54 PM #5
      Despite my instinct that this might be a troll post I'm going to answer this. I have one of three (that I know of) AWD manual A3 8Ps in North America. Of the three, mine is the only one without any of the body / floor pan being cut up, because I started with a quattro car in the first place. I did this because I am unable to buy an 8P A3 with quattro and manual transmission. With that in mind, here's what I know:

Get under your car and look at the transmission. DSG, manual, doesn't matter. If the back side of the housing is flat and has 4 bolt holes around the outside of where the front axle bolts in, you don't need a new transmission. The only difference between AWD and FWD transmissions in these cars is the differential. It's more work, but far cheaper to source an AWD differential and replace the one in the transmission than to buy an AWD transmission. When I did my swap, I converted a FWD transmission. It cost $400 for the transmission and another $850 for a LSD, so $1250. The cheapest AWD transmission I could find was $1700, and that's without LSD, which is a significant upgrade. Most of those are overseas, so you're looking at increased shipping costs as well.

A transmission off of a 3.2 will not work, the housing is different.

You're going to need a transfer case. Regardless of what some people will tell you, it can be off a manual car or a DSG, doesn't matter. The part numbers are different, but it's all mechanical and the input and output shaft on them are the same, so they will both bolt up the same. The difference in the part numbers seems to be based on assembly plant use, but I can't confirm that. You'll also need front and rear driveshaft couplings, which are used instead of U-joints. And you'll need a driveshaft. And a rear diff and diff housing, and a rear subframe to bolt it all to. You'll also need a carrier bearing for the driveshaft. You'll also need rear CV axles since FWD cars don't have them, as well as the hub / bearing assembly and knuckles to mount them into / mount the wheels on. Also, there are support brackets for the transfer case that mount to the back of the engine... you'll need those.

So far, all of the above is installed with nuts and bolts, but here's where it gets really fun.... to convert your FWD car to an AWD car, you will have to cut out a large portion of the rear floor pan, and weld in a raised section to accommodate the rear subframe and differential assembly. There's no real way to get around this, and it takes some skill. If you want the car to drive straight, you first need to weld a support structure into the rear hatch area to keep the car from twisting when you cut out the rear section. Once the new section of floor pan is welded in, you can then remove the supports.

Then there's all the nagging, minor details that cost money: new stretch bolts for the transmission mount, new axle bolts, new transmission to engine bolts, the bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission, driveshaft coupling bolts.... it's a lot of f***ing bolts. You'll probably need new transmission fluid, which is expensive but more so if DSG. You need gear oil for the transfer case and the rear differential. Haldex fluid and filter, possibly a pump and controller depending on the condition of what you get. Then there's the programming. There are a few people who have done this to VW CCs, and those have to be programmed for Haldex / AWD which messes with the ABS. As far as I know, this hasn't been perfected yet, so there are nagging issues with other systems involving ABS, like TPMS and wheel speed sensors (your speedo might not work right). And you have to wire it in.... there are multiple wiring diagrams for the A3 depending on year and options. It took me an incredibly long time just to figure out how to wire the reverse light switch, and that's only 2 wires.

Also, there's probably a few minor details I'm forgetting. If you want to swap to a different transmission, there are other items as well, which I can also go into if needed. So yeah, it's way cheaper to buy a quattro car, especially if you're keeping a DSG transmission, since those are actually available.

7. Yesterday 02:29 PM #6
      Now you can also buy standalone controllers for Haldex to use in just about any model.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3
      Yesterday 08:32 PM #7
      I forgot gas tank and in-tank fuel pump... those are specific to quattro cars to allow for the driveshaft.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      Today 09:53 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by npace View Post
      I forgot gas tank and in-tank fuel pump... those are specific to quattro cars to allow for the driveshaft.
      Npace, do you have functioning traction and stability control, and abs, on your conversion?

At one point i had a wiring fault to the haldex controller. Instant front wheel drive conversion. During that time, abs warnings and fault codes. And no tc or sc
      I replaced haldex contoller with 2008 tt rev. Which didnt fix. Turns out a mouse got under the back seat and ate wire on the haldex harness.
      But i dicovered that the tt controller is programmed more aggressively than the a3 module, especially with dsg in sport mode. So, a win there.