VWVortex.com - Does anyone get high beamed all the time from other drivers at night?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does anyone get high beamed all the time from other drivers at night?

1. 12-04-2019 02:39 AM #1
      I think I need my lights calibrated or something cause every time I drive at night I get at least 3-4 people flashing their high beams at me. I see the bad review from the IIHS regarding the lights. Has anyone re-calibrated or re-aimed them?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-04-2019 09:16 AM #2
      I re-calibrate and re-aim them higher, they were too low from the factory. I got flashed once in my 6 months of ownership, I think people mistake the 4 headlights as high beam, I used to get that a lot with my BMW as well which also has 4 headlights. I drove behind my Arteon once and did not find the headlight blinding at all.

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      12-04-2019 10:45 AM #3
      i actually just recently lowered my headlights. i had this problem too, constantly was being flashed by others.

but i knew my headlights were aimed too high. as just driving through my neighborhood i can see the beam pattern shining right into the cars parked on the side of the road. i simply just aimed them downward and now im good to go.

you might be able to get your dealership to aim them for you.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD : 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD : 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD : 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD : 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD : 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD : 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily : 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - APR Stage I tuned - Daily

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL Premium, 2014 Honda Accord
      12-04-2019 03:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      i actually just recently lowered my headlights. i had this problem too, constantly was being flashed by others.

but i knew my headlights were aimed too high. as just driving through my neighborhood i can see the beam pattern shining right into the cars parked on the side of the road. i simply just aimed them downward and now im good to go.
      Is it easy to lower the headlights? I'm not much of a "car person."

you might be able to get your dealership to aim them for you.
      Will a dealership typically charge to do something like this?

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-04-2019 05:05 PM #5
      Strange, I've never had someone flash me.

8. 12-04-2019 06:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by buffym View Post

A good rule of thumb for me is the beam should be below the other cars glass line from about 3 or 4 car length. The adjustment is above the headlight assembly if I remember right, its a allen screw.

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      12-05-2019 09:42 AM #7

yes, adjustment is very easy.
      there is an allen head just outside of the headlight unit under the hood, rotate accordingly to lower or raise the beam pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Man View Post
      A good rule of thumb for me is the beam should be below the other cars glass line from about 3 or 4 car length. The adjustment is above the headlight assembly if I remember right, its a allen screw.
      and i did the same.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD : 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD : 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD : 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD : 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD : 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD : 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily : 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - APR Stage I tuned - Daily

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 10:33 AM #8
      Maybe I'm not getting flashed because I have DLA with city lights activated. I just recently learned that the city light functions dips and pushes out the beams when you are driving below 40mph. Must help with the glare.

11. 12-05-2019 03:36 PM #9
      interesting, is this feature enabled by coding or comes stock?

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:04 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by bradst3r View Post
      interesting, is this feature enabled by coding or comes stock?
      I coded it. Dynamic Light Assist consists of:

City Lights- dips and pushes out the beams below 40mph
      Highway Lights- throws the beam out further for extended vision at higher speeds
      Intersection Lights- turns on both cornering lights at an intersection based on nav data
      Multi-Beam MDF Auto High Beam System (Like Matrix Lighting)- operates the high beams and projectors independently of one another automatically above 40mph

13. 12-05-2019 04:28 PM #11
      Thanks I will check this out are you on VCDS or OBDeleven?

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I coded it. Dynamic Light Assist consists of:

City Lights- dips and pushes out the beams below 40mph
      Highway Lights- throws the beam out further for extended vision at higher speeds
      Intersection Lights- turns on both cornering lights at an intersection based on nav data
      Multi-Beam MDF Auto High Beam System (Like Matrix Lighting)- operates the high beams and projectors independently of one another automatically above 40mph

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:41 PM #12
      Thanks I will check this out are you on VCDS or OBDeleven?
      obd11. Changing this also changes the light startup sequence and makes it much cooler.

Here were my outlined steps. Don't forget that when you reset your basic headlight settings the car has to be on level ground. Proceed at your own risk.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post113911099

In this video, you can see how it works as of the 1:50 mark. It is extremely cool how the beams work independently to allow full high beam all the time without blinding oncoming traffic:

Last edited by ice4life; 12-05-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SEL P R-line, 2012 VW CC EXECUTIVE V6 4-MOTION 08 Rabbit S, 01 Passat v6, 87 Gti 8v
      12-13-2019 12:34 AM #13
      I think I need my lights calibrated or something cause every time I drive at night I get at least 3-4 people flashing their high beams at me. I see the bad review from the IIHS regarding the lights. Has anyone re-calibrated or re-aimed them?
      I get flashed too, usually in hilly areas, or intersections were the road slopes up a bit. But they are adjusted how they are supposed to be.

Sent from my car phone
      Last edited by sdvolksGTi; 12-13-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon
      12-14-2019 03:39 PM #14
      I personally think the look, purely, of the headlights, is ridiculously cool, but I'd say driving down the backroads of Atlanta during a 6 hour shift from 5-11, I get flashed at least 10 times.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-14-2019 07:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ArteonPizzaGuy View Post
      I personally think the look, purely, of the headlights, is ridiculously cool, but I'd say driving down the backroads of Atlanta during a 6 hour shift from 5-11, I get flashed at least 10 times.
      DLA activation would help with this as it adjusts the projectors independently (MDF) to oncoming traffic unlike the standard light assist.

What do you do that you are working so late? Are you the new youngest owner? I think it is 25 right now.
      Last edited by ice4life; 12-14-2019 at 07:21 PM.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-14-2019 11:15 PM #16
      DLA activation would help with this as it adjusts the projectors independently (MDF) to oncoming traffic unlike the standard light assist.
      Is an OBDeleven device and Android phone all that is needed to activate DLA?

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-15-2019 10:45 AM #17
      Is an OBDeleven device and Android phone all that is needed to activate DLA?
      Yes, and only on SEL premium since it requires the driver assistance camera. I think you can do obdeleven with iPhone now, but Android works better.

Here are the steps, and remember to back up and proceed at your own risk. I am enthralled with it compared to the standard setup.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post113909573

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-15-2019 09:18 PM #18
      Yes, and only on SEL premium since it requires the driver assistance camera.
      Thanks! Glad to know I got the right trim

I think you can do obdeleven with iPhone now, but Android works better.

Here are the steps, and remember to back up and proceed at your own risk. I am enthralled with it compared to the standard setup.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post113909573
      Noob questions incoming...

1. I'm assuming I'll need OBDeleven Pro since this involves "long coding".. is that correct?

2. Does OBDeleven consume credits when you code it to enable DLA?

3. Did I recall correctly that you mentioned somewhere that the car has to be on a flat level surface while it is coded to enable DLA, or did I totally misremember?

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-15-2019 09:53 PM #19
      Thanks! Glad to know I got the right trim

Noob questions incoming...

1. I'm assuming I'll need OBDeleven Pro since this involves "long coding".. is that correct?

2. Does OBDeleven consume credits when you code it to enable DLA?

3. Did I recall correctly that you mentioned somewhere that the car has to be on a flat level surface while it is coded to enable DLA, or did I totally misremember?
      1) yes
      2) no, the credits are only for apps which are preset codings you can select. Unfortunately dla is not one of the apps.
      3) yes- you have to reset the headlight basic settings once you code everything to clear out the dynamic cornering light error. This must be done on level ground, or the car's headlights will be out of proper calibration when they are reset.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      12-15-2019 10:39 PM #20
      I assume these discussion relate to the beam forming headlights. On the SE, the lighting pattern looks very good and we are now up to 7k miles ( with daily use at night) with no annoyed drivers being blinded.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-16-2019 09:46 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by SDArteon View Post
      I assume these discussion relate to the beam forming headlights. On the SE, the lighting pattern looks very good and we are now up to 7k miles ( with daily use at night) with no annoyed drivers being blinded.
      I think this issue more relates to sel/selp as they use 4 projectors instead of 2 like the SE. Most people think your high beams are on when they see the inside projectors on (which they're not).

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-16-2019 01:56 PM #22
      1) yes
      2) no, the credits are only for apps which are preset codings you can select. Unfortunately dla is not one of the apps.
      3) yes- you have to reset the headlight basic settings once you code everything to clear out the dynamic cornering light error. This must be done on level ground, or the car's headlights will be out of proper calibration when they are reset.
      Thanks, that helps! How do you make sure you're on level ground? Do you check by using a level tool on the floor at all four tires?

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-16-2019 02:06 PM #23
      Thanks, that helps! How do you make sure you're on level ground? Do you check by using a level tool on the floor at all four tires?
      It just has to be generally level meaning don't be on a hill or a sloped side of the road for example. My garage is flat and level so I used that.