The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW reverses stance on CarPlay Fees

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 04:16 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I wonder if that's a cash grab, or rather, if it's there way of saying "fine, if you must have it, here."

AFAIK no Porsche comes standard with keyless entry, and it's usually a >$1k option. I've heard from a few different people it's because the company doesn't really care for their cars to have it, but comply because of demand.
      Ferrari...everything is a cash grab.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      12-05-2019 04:30 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      That list is obviously old; If you go on Toyota's website the following vehicles have AA for 2020 (in addition to CP):

So 10 out of 16 models is not bad at all.. And the other 6 models all offer CarPlay with the exception of the Land Cruiser which is on the way out. Also don't forget the Supra is a BMW hence the lack of AA.
      One of the reasons that I didn't even both considering the 2019 Tacoma for my truck purchase was lack of Car Play. It certainly missed the boat when it came to my sale.

CarPlay has become an everyday thing for me. I like to use it to/from work to plan my route around congestion, not to mention it does local music, streaming music, and podcasts really well. On top of that, I can use Siri to add reminders for me for things I remember to do while I'm driving. "Hey siri, when I get home remind me to call Aunt Martha."

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:32 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      One of the reasons that I didn't even both considering the 2019 Tacoma for my truck purchase was lack of Car Play. It certainly missed the boat when it came to my sale.

CarPlay has become an everyday thing for me. I like to use it to/from work to plan my route around congestion, not to mention it does local music, streaming music, and podcasts really well. On top of that, I can use Siri to add reminders for me for things I remember to do while I'm driving. "Hey siri, when I get home remind me to call Aunt Martha."
      A shame since it has it for 2020 (along with AA).

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      12-05-2019 04:44 PM #54
      A shame since it has it for 2020 (along with AA).
      Yeah, I knew it was coming for 2020 and I still opted out of the Taco. Basically I was going to have to wait for the 2020 Tacoma to even arrive on dealer's lots, wait to find a stick shift in the trim I wanted, and then not get a decent deal on it since the model year just started.

Between that stuff and all the other negatives the Tacomas has, it just wasn't in the cards for me. Toyota fought integrating AA/CP for so long, trying to control the in-car entertainment experience with EnTune, and they lost out at least on my sale.

Mazda was another company that fought AA/CP for a long time. I was pissed that it wasn't available in the ND. And then suddenly, it was available through an accessory part/ dealer installed option. I had my AA/CP module and software bought and ready to go before my 2019 Miata even hit the dealer lot, but I opted to have the dealer install it the day I picked it up. I ended up installing the module I had bought in a buddy's ND.

I'm glad these holdouts are finally coming around because I won't purchase a car without it. I can hop in my truck, my wife's car, and my Miata and still be able to use the contacts, addresses, maps, and entertainment on my phone all with the same interface. In addition, it gets rid of clutter in the car by not needing phone mounts and charging cables strewn about. I have a 1 foot coiled cable and keep the phone in the center console.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:50 PM #55
      Yeah, I knew it was coming for 2020 and I still opted out of the Taco. Basically I was going to have to wait for the 2020 Tacoma to even arrive on dealer's lots, wait to find a stick shift in the trim I wanted, and then not get a decent deal on it since the model year just started.

Between that stuff and all the other negatives the Tacomas has, it just wasn't in the cards for me. Toyota fought integrating AA/CP for so long, trying to control the in-car entertainment experience with EnTune, and they lost out at least on my sale.

Mazda was another company that fought AA/CP for a long time. I was pissed that it wasn't available in the ND. And then suddenly, it was available through an accessory part/ dealer installed option. I had my AA/CP module and software bought and ready to go before my 2019 Miata even hit the dealer lot, but I opted to have the dealer install it the day I picked it up. I ended up installing the module I had bought in a buddy's ND.

I'm glad these holdouts are finally coming around because I won't purchase a car without it. I can hop in my truck, my wife's car, and my Miata and still be able to use the contacts, addresses, maps, and entertainment on my phone all with the same interface. In addition, it gets rid of clutter in the car by not needing phone mounts and charging cables strewn about. I have a 1 foot coiled cable and keep the phone in the center console.
      Just to clarify, they didn't fight it because they wanted to push entune on people. They fought it because of privacy and security concerns. This is well documented.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 04:53 PM #56
      Just to clarify, they didn't fight it because they wanted to push entune on people. They fought it because of privacy and security concerns. This is well documented.
      That may be fair, but their alternative (entune) is such a steaming pile of horsesh*t that it doesn't matter. I'd rather get a billboard in Times Square with a picture of my dick tattoo'd with my social security number than use Entune.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

8. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-05-2019 04:58 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      That may be fair, but their alternative (entune) is such a steaming pile of horsesh*t that it doesn't matter. I'd rather get a billboard in Times Square with a picture of my dick tattoo'd with my social security number than use Entune.
      I don't see why this has to be an either or situation.

I'll take the tattooed dick billboard every day, and twice on Sunday.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      12-05-2019 04:59 PM #58
      Toyota said the same thing when I had a Highlander and was in the market for a new car. I told the dealer/salesmen, I understand but I and many others have already decided to give up their personal info willing to these companies and Toyota denying use of these systems won’t change that fact. Considering that these systems are now a big selling point for buyers as people are familiar with them and much better than what car manufacturers provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 05:01 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I mean not like you needed to use entune (pre CP/AA) for BT audio; It was for that weird **** like stitcher, pandora, movie crap etc.

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      12-05-2019 06:35 PM #60
      I wonder if the '19 is able to be updated w/ CP. I just bought a '18 Camry that didn't have CP, but the dealer is able to re-program the radio with CP functionality

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 06:38 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Reihenmotor5 View Post
      Toyota said the same thing when I had a Highlander and was in the market for a new car. I told the dealer/salesmen, I understand but I and many others have already decided to give up their personal info willing to these companies and Toyota denying use of these systems won’t change that fact. Considering that these systems are now a big selling point for buyers as people are familiar with them and much better than what car manufacturers provide.
      Also, if I'm carrying my iPhone IN my car, how much more info can they steal versus plugging my iPhone INTO my car. Sure, some telemetry, but destination, speed, all that crap it can already do.

12-05-2019 06:58 PM #62
      BMW probably not doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

My guess is they are taking a beating in consumer sanctification and "quality" surveys like JD Powers over non-functional Carplay after the initial trial period. Unlike satellite radio, people are not expecting Carpaly to stop working after a year.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      12-05-2019 07:22 PM #63
      Just connecting via bluetooth still exchanges a lot of data in most cars now-a-days. We've managed to get an incredible amount of travel data from phones pre-carplay/aa in injury cases. This also cuts the otherway, a vast amount of your phone's data is stored in the vehicle once connected. We managed to get entire text chats from a car when someone claimed they no longer had the phone/conversation. I remember the first time I did it I was honestly dumbfounded at the amount of data that could be extracted.

In sum: your isht is everywhere you've been.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-05-2019 07:25 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      BMW probably not doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

My guess is they are taking a beating in consumer sanctification and "quality" surveys like JD Powers over non-functional Carplay after the initial trial period. Unlike satellite radio, people are not expecting Carpaly to stop working after a year.
      3 years in and Carplay in my Colorado is better than when I bought it. Same for the Escape. Hasn't cost me a dime for either. Just a phone which I would own anyway. Apple is the one doing the upgrades, not the auto manufacturer.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 07:53 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      3 years in and Carplay in my Colorado is better than when I bought it. Same for the Escape. Hasn't cost me a dime for either. Just a phone which I would own anyway. Apple is the one doing the upgrades, not the auto manufacturer.
      Yeah, I've had it for only about 15 months, and already there have been two major updates, one to allow Google Maps/Waze and one to add in the split screen display. Awesome how the infotainment in the car improves over time.

12-05-2019 08:18 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I know that... I have carplay in my Audi so I know how it works. But BMW charges for Carplay so if you didn't pay the $80 a year, it stopped working after the free trial period, just like Sirus XM. Which is what this thread is about...

My hypothesis is the BMW saw early results of its JD Powers score because owners complaint a critical function stopped working after a while. This makes sense if you know when JD Powers do their initial quality survey... just in time for all those 2018 and early 2019 model year owners to take BMW to the woodshed. Most of them probably were not expecting Carplay to stop working.
      Last edited by bzcat; 12-05-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      12-11-2019 11:54 AM #67
      Android Auto Finally Coming to BMW Vehicles in Mid-2020: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...0-android-auto

Looks like all the automakers are starting to realize that this is a differentiator.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      12-11-2019 12:29 PM #68
      I'd want a refund.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123