VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Toyota GR Yaris Teaser: Turbo AWD pocket rocket

79K views 584 replies 112 participants last post by  stiggy-pug 
#1 ·

Toyota isn't yet confirming anything about the Yaris GR-4's powertrain, but what the company is showing looks very exciting. In the teaser video, the engine has a deep burble and seems to do an all-wheel-drive launch. A report from Japan suggests the hot hatch packs a turbocharged three-cylinder powerplant. However, there are also allegedly competition versions with a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder for the WRC R5 class and All Japan Rally Championship.
https://www.motor1.com/news/386025/toyota-yaris-gr-teaser-video/

Available to import to North America in 15-25 years.

See less See more
1 1
#143 ·
That motor in the Corolla hatch will be a hoot. [emoji106]

#149 ·
Price it like a GTI I guess?

#162 ·
No. That's a prototype for the GRMN version of the last generation Yaris. 1.8L Supercharged, fwd

This is the GR Yaris prototype

That is Type R price. I would pay Type R price for that GR Yaris rally homologation special. There is NO WAY I would pay 40k for GR Corolla. I don't think this GR Corolla will be as hard core as the Type R.
That's the thing. The regular buying public in the US would be more likely to pay the higher entry price of a GR Corolla than a GR Yaris.

Unless I missed it, I don’t think AWD is being considered. But if it is, I agree, that’s going to be pricy.
AWD should be on the table.

#170 ·
RE: weight

Another upcoming supermini weighs around the same 2800ish,
the GP3:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1219335575326597126

No manual gearbox option.

500 of them allotted to USA.

Starting price: $44,900

Some buzz, but certainly not as much as the GR-4.

Back in their heyday, MINI marketing used to be proper top-shelf stuff which was cheeky cleverfun,
this is them now:

Boring doosh who sez the word "exclusive" an uncountable number of times and overall the presentation doesn't seem to inject any excitement whatsoever.
ZZZzzz

It actually saddens me that MINI has lost the plot so dramatically because at one time they really were hip & withit.

#177 ·
The rally version is in trouble as FIA has changed the details of the guideline for 2022. Remains to be seen how this will unfold.

AUTOhebdo.fr: Mäkinen : « Nous espérions prendre la Yaris 2021 pour 2022 »

Google translated from the original french interview :
... Why did you launch a car that should only be used for one season before the arrival of a hybrid WRC?

We have to see how the new regulations will evolve. Initially, with what had been decided by the world commission, there was not a lot of changes to make between the car of 2021 and that of 2022. We hoped to take the Yaris WRC 2021 to develop that of 2022. However , it appears that there are discussions again and that does not seem good. We are really very disappointed.

That is to say that you could not use this Yaris 2021 for 2022? Would you have to develop yet another car?

The 2022 regulations seemed very close to those of 2021 except for the installation of batteries and the hybridization system. That would have required us to modify only part of the car… but now we are wondering. The issue has been reopened and we have no idea whether it will be good or not. I have no idea what that means. What I do know, however, is that to develop an entirely new WRC for 2022, the deadline is very short. The 2021 version takes many things from the current one. There are several elements and subjects common to the two cars and yet it took us a long time to build the 2021. If we were to achieve a completely new WRC, I think we would have to get even more resources and I don't know where we could find them ...

Interview by Loïc Rocci
If the racing version will be short lived it doesn't bode a long production run for the road car either. Instant collectors car.

TL;DR: The fun is over, this is now a Prius thread.

#178 ·
The rally version is in trouble as FIA has changed the details of the guideline for 2022. Remains to be seen how this will unfold.

AUTOhebdo.fr: Mäkinen : « Nous espérions prendre la Yaris 2021 pour 2022 »

Google translated from the original french interview :

If the racing version will be short lived it doesn't bode a long production run for the road car either. Instant collectors car.

TL;DR: The fun is over, this is now a Prius thread.
:(
Bummer.

I have a kneejerk reaction that this is bad news and agree with Fifi who left the comment in the linked article:

Cest ça réduire les coups
Une hybridation débile
La mort du rallye a petit feu

Don't know really how this is going to play out though, supposedly lower cost is part of the equation and attempts to get more manufacturers participating in WRC?

Whatever happens,
I just pray they never go full electric,
what a drag that would be...

#185 ·
#186 ·
Note sure if it was mentioned but Europe got a cool Yaris GRMS a while ago. Very cool supercharged variant. FANTASTIC reviews. Another cool hatch we do not have.
:thumbup::beer: Yeah, I was very interested in that one because it was s/c.

A very limited production vehicle.

Had many questions about it which still remain unanswered... :confused: :confused: :confused:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...urgring)&p=113609373&viewfull=1#post113609373

:

AutoBild mentions it here:

Toyota put a lot of effort into the GR Yaris . The powerful turbo three-cylinder engine and the all-wheel drive were newly developed especially for the power dwarf. With 261 hp and 350 Nm, the three-door car is significantly stronger than its predecessor, the Yaris GRMN . Nevertheless, it will only cost a good 3000 euros more than its predecessor!

GR-4 = €33,200

:

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/toy...-kaufen-marktstart-ps-bestellen-16488489.html

#193 ·
It would be wonderful to walk into a Toyota dealership and see one of these on the floor like in this video from the UK which for some reason has a LHD model.

:

Here's a good look around and a short city drive:

:

And,
this guy has recent footage of his, this one is of him picking it up back in Sept. --- he uses a rather odd mosaic pixellation style heavily in some of his videos, I guess it's for privacy?