The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota GR Yaris Teaser: Turbo AWD pocket rocket

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 MR2, 1996 Miata
      01-11-2020 04:26 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      America's 3 door hatch/2 door economy car segment is almost non-existent, and the subcompact segment is dead here in the US outside of the Yaris (Mazda 2 rebadge), Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio, Nissan Versa and Honda Fit, and most of those are cheap penalty box sedans.

The only car even remotely similar is the Civic coupe, and Honda won't even do a 2-door Type R (Another car I'd be down to buy)
      Hate to sh!t on people's dreams here but that definitely isn't coming here unless it's sold in Mexico and imported lol.
      It's not that we aren't realistic, but if we don't ask then it sure as hell won't happen.

Here's the thing, I'm more excited about the GR Yaris than I've ever been about the BRZ/86 or the Supra.

Do you think Toyota will make more selling those models than it would importing this model? I don't, which is why I think they could give it a shot. Honda has the Type R in the US. Subaru has the STI in the US. Why can't Toyota have a GR Yaris in the US?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-11-2020 04:56 PM #77
      Heck, this would be fun in a slightly less powerful front wheel drive version.

Vehicles
      Several.
      01-11-2020 05:33 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by DeanStevenson View Post
      It's not that we aren't realistic, but if we don't ask then it sure as hell won't happen.

Here's the thing, I'm more excited about the GR Yaris than I've ever been about the BRZ/86 or the Supra.

Do you think Toyota will make more selling those models than it would importing this model? I don't, which is why I think they could give it a shot. Honda has the Type R in the US. Subaru has the STI in the US. Why can't Toyota have a GR Yaris in the US?
      I'm really excited about this car and hope it happens, but I know it won't.

We're stuck in SUV/CUV purgatory for eternity.

5. 01-13-2020 06:56 AM #79
      ''The ingenious system uses slightly different gear ratios for the front and rear axles and allows for a theoretical range of front/rear torque balance from 100:0 (full front-wheel drive) to 0:100 (full rear-wheel drive). This flexibility gives a performance advantage over AWD on-demand systems that use twin-coupling or permanent AWD systems with a centre differential. The GR FOUR system is also considerably lighter in weight'',
      translation: we are incompetent company and we just made another haldex type electric coupling which has less torque transfer capability than a hydraulic haldex and we need different axle speds to achieve some overspin at rear axle= you won#t be able to lock both axles on tarmac( is just fwd with some added rear), and will overheat worse than the focus rs mk3 gkn diff. save money buy a golf r , audi s1, tune the haldex and you will make circles around this car.

Vehicles
      2018 911 T, 2020 330i, 2021 718 GTS 4.0 (on order)
      01-13-2020 01:06 PM #80
      Petition here to bring the Yaris to the US!

http://chng.it/gRZ7w7HRtG

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-13-2020 02:17 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post

I already told my wife, this little focker shows up at a dealership around my parts.. i'm buying it, that RS3 can wait a bit... i couldn't jump on a Polo GTI a few years ago, i do want a hot hatch... and this fits the damn bill!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
      While I appreciate the sentiment, it's important to remember that heroism and stupidity are often confused, but not synonymous.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      01-13-2020 03:18 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by DeanStevenson View Post
      You're not the only one.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      01-13-2020 03:34 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post

I signed it, but I doubt Toyota looks at change.org (unless this all gets sent to them?)

Mfs are better off just contacting Toyota directly.

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      01-13-2020 09:16 PM #84
      The only thing I dont like about it is that huge screen on the dash.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      01-14-2020 12:50 AM #85
      This is more like a modern version of Subaru Impreza 22B STi!! I won't mind pay more than Type R price for one.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...th-over-100000
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      01-14-2020 12:13 PM #86
      this thing is awesome.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

13. 01-19-2020 10:25 PM #87
      I like seeing the skeletal bits, and I like seeing these kids get so excited about it too...

https://youtu.be/oQXaCTk44Ss?t=349

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      01-19-2020 11:17 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post
      I like seeing the skeletal bits, and I like seeing these kids get so excited about it too...

https://youtu.be/oQXaCTk44Ss?t=349

Yeah, I like seeing that too. I also agree with them, as I’m pretty pumped about it as well, though I’m equally bummed we won’t get it here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

15. 01-20-2020 11:32 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yeah, I like seeing that too. I also agree with them, as I’m pretty pumped about it as well, though I’m equally bummed we won’t get it here.
      Total bummer indeed.

I did sign the petition that's going around and I'm very happy to see all the buzzjuice this thing is percolating, but reality is chances are slim in the USA to see this hit our shores,
      yet I am still romantically hopeful.

Perhaps if WRC was more popular in the States we'd have a better chance.

Recent article suggests pricing will be competitive:

At its reveal, it was anyone’s guess what the GR Yaris would cost. Predictions started at £40,000 and climbed from there – and for good reason. You could likely fit the body parts the GR shares with the normal Yaris in the boot of a Supra. The lights and badges are pretty much the only bits that carry over unchanged.

Everything else is bespoke – the three-door shell, bumpers, wheelarches, lower roofline and carbon roof. Underneath, the front is familiar Yaris, but at the back, to accommodate both the double-wishbone suspension and the rear driveshafts, it’s effectively a Corolla.

The GR Yaris won’t be assembled in France alongside its standard siblings. Instead, it’ll be built, largely by hand, at the new GR Production Centre in Motomachi, Japan. A true modern JDM performance hero, and likely to cost plenty as a result?

Before being shuffled out of the room with a GR Yaris on display alongside a body-less chassis, we cornered Robert Tickner, general manager of communications at Toyota Motor Europe, to see if we could get a hint.

“I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask, is there any indication of how much the GR Yaris is going to cost?”

Tickner smiles, but remains coy: “We’re still developing the price point at the moment.”

I press him, citing some of the wild guesses circulating online. He laughs: “I don’t think it’ll be quite that much. If you look at the price in Japan, which was revealed to be around four million yen, that converts to roughly £27,000. It won’t be a million miles away from that.”

Truthfully, we were surprised. To look at the Yaris GR, you can’t help but wonder what astronomical costs went into its development – and indeed will go into its manufacture.

“I assume the profit margins will be tight, then?” I follow. “Assuming there is a profit,” Tickner quips.

It seems Toyota doesn’t want to price enthusiasts out of the car. When you consider that it will have 24,000 of them to sell worldwide, that seems sensible. Production isn’t limited, either: 24,000 is just how many they have to produce to homologate the rally car. If they all sell and there’s demand, production will continue.

It’s not unknown for boss Akio Toyoda to let his company take a hit for the sake of a passion project. Indeed, the Yaris GR is another one of his pet projects – not unlike the Lexus LFA supercar, also a loss-leader.

It’s a product of his love of rallying, a crack at a competitive edge for the 2021 WRC season, plus a true homologation special.
      The Yaris GR could be a lot of excitement for your money, then, once prices are announced. Our revised estimate starts with a three…

So when can we expect the actual price to be revealed? Toyota is on a clock with this. “We need to get pricing out and orders in, in time to deliver before the 2021 season,” Tickner says. “We’re looking at no later than May, really.”

:

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...yaris-cheaper/

16. 01-20-2020 12:34 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      You're not the only one.
      I'd buy one. I own a Focus RS now so I will put my money where my mouth is.

At the Toronto Auto Show, I'm going to see if anyone from Toyota Canada is there (unlikely) and will talk to them about the car. Canadian market preferences =/= US market preferences. For instance we get a C43 Touring up here and you guys don't so there's a microscopic glimmer of hope.

17. 01-20-2020 12:57 PM #91
      It's neat, but for me it's that S-FR Race-coupe-concept or bust.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      01-20-2020 01:00 PM #92

58s - 1:05

19. 01-20-2020 05:04 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post

58s - 1:05

No doubt.

Somebody did these slowmo edits last month that're cool too...

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      01-20-2020 05:31 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      I'd have a hard time choosing between the two, but the SFR is a cheap RWD compact, so it could possibly be even more basic than this. If it had the same snarky 3 cylinder I'd be leaning heavily towards the SFR. It's a tough call when I can only think about it. In a world where they both exist at my local dealer and I could afford only one then I'd have to drive them.

More than just once.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Several.
      01-20-2020 06:01 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      I still want an S-FR.

I also want the GR Yaris.

Please?

Vehicles
      2036 GooseBee Delux-'17 Blandmobile RS-'92 Miatadon BananaShade,'02 garden shed
      01-20-2020 09:15 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I'd buy one. I own a Focus RS now so I will put my money where my mouth is.

At the Toronto Auto Show, I'm going to see if anyone from Toyota Canada is there (unlikely) and will talk to them about the car. Canadian market preferences =/= US market preferences. For instance we get a C43 Touring up here and you guys don't so there's a microscopic glimmer of hope.
      I also have a focus RS. I wrote to Toyota Canada, asking them to bring it here. I’ll buy one if it comes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2020 Subaru Ascent
      01-21-2020 09:24 AM #97
      Total bummer indeed.

I did sign the petition that's going around and I'm very happy to see all the buzzjuice this thing is percolating, but reality is chances are slim in the USA to see this hit our shores,
      yet I am still romantically hopeful.

DirtFish just relaunched their website as an "All things rally hub" with gaining popularity in mind. I haven't had much time spend browsing their new site but my initial thoughts are that it's awesome!

https://www.dirtfish.com/

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      01-21-2020 11:54 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
      I still want an S-FR.

I also want the GR Yaris.

Please?
      Preach on, Brother Beavis
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW