Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda-ified Acura SLX for Radwood

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-05-2019 01:06 PM #1
      This is awesome - SLX/Trooper/Jackaroo updated with an RDX engine and front/rear suspension for Radwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
      For the Radwood Orange County, Calif., car show, a show themed around 1980s and 1990s cars, Acura is bringing a variety of its original models including a 1991 NSX and a 1986 Integra. The company is also bringing something obscure, a 1997 Acura SLX, the brand's first SUV, offered from model years 1996 to 1999. In some ways, it's something Acura might not want to highlight, since it's really a rebadged Isuzu Trooper, just as the original Honda Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. But this SLX is special; it has real Acura power under the hood.

The project was led by Acura engineers and Pikes Peak racing drivers James Robinson, Paul Hubers and Jordan Guitar, and the frame and body restoration as well as the powertrain swap was done entirely in-house at Honda R&D in Ohio, according to Acura rep Andrew Quillin. The team pulled out the original naturally aspirated 3.2-liter V6 that made just 190 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque, and dropped in a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four from a new Acura RDX. That engine also received a new intake, exhaust, turbo and ECU tune, which brought power up to an estimated 350 horsepower and 340 pound-feet of torque, similar to the Graham Rahal Performance RDX. Not only that, but the old-school four-wheel-drive system and live rear axle were dropped in favor of the RDX's indpendent suspension and torque vectoring "Super Handling All-Wheel Drive." "Dropped in" is a mischaracterization, though, as Acura had to weld new subframes front and rear to the existing frame to get the transverse engine and modern suspension to fit.
      https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/05/...rdx-powertrain

Last edited by adrew; 12-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-05-2019 01:13 PM #2
      Very cool.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-05-2019 01:19 PM #3
      I worked for Ford in the early 90s. I remember sitting in a meeting about the competition's SUVs, and hearing about how even Acura was going to have an SUV soon. And now that vehicle's at Radwood.

Anyway, cool to see this old beast with shiny aluminum bits and a modern powertrain underneath.

5. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      North American German crap and German German crap
      12-05-2019 01:38 PM #4
      Would drive.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

12-05-2019 01:43 PM #5
      This is so awesome. I have always had a soft spot for the Trooper and to a lesser extent Isuzu as well. It's still mystifying to me that they didn't make it in the US - the land of SUVs/trucks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-05-2019 01:57 PM #6
      Very cool. I can appreciate the hell out of that.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      12-05-2019 02:06 PM #7
      Wow, this truly is rad!

Both in Honda for investing in such an endeavor, and Radwood for inspiring a manufacturer to do so. Usually companies of this size are charter members of the no-fun club but this is completely against stereotype. Glad it got shared here

9. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-05-2019 02:15 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Wow, this truly is rad!

Both in Honda for investing in such an endeavor, and Radwood for inspiring a manufacturer to do so. Usually companies of this size are charter members of the no-fun club but this is completely against stereotype. Glad it got shared here
      It's really quite fun how the OEMs are embracing Radwood. At Radwood Philly, Subaru brought out 5 (I think) cars from their collection, since they're just over the bridge.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      12-05-2019 02:26 PM #9
      an Acura GX460/4Runner competitor would be awesome. That build looks great and such a classic looking truck.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      12-05-2019 02:33 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      It's really quite fun how the OEMs are embracing Radwood. At Radwood Philly, Subaru brought out 5 (I think) cars from their collection, since they're just over the bridge.
      Yeah, I think Dodge/Chryco had a fairly big presence at the Detroit one as well.

I mean, they just have these things collecting dust with nowhere to go aside from the odd museum display, and then comes the perfect venue to get some publicity and get these things back out in the light of day. I'd like to think - and seems to be the case - the guys that have these things at their disposal are just dying to have a reason to get behind the wheel and drive them.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-05-2019 02:36 PM #11
      That's one badass Trooper. A+

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2018 Buick Regal Sportback, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
      12-05-2019 02:37 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      This is so awesome. I have always had a soft spot for the Trooper and to a lesser extent Isuzu as well. It's still mystifying to me that they didn't make it in the US - the land of SUVs/trucks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      We had a 95.5 Rodeo which I used to properly beat the hell out of. It was a tough vehicle, but was awful to drive. I have a very soft spot for Isuzus to be honest and would love a Rodeo like my old one if I could find one in good condition, but I imagine the nostalgia will wear off quickly and I'll soon remember how poor that car was to drive.

12-05-2019 03:55 PM #13
      Awesome restomod! I remember these back in the day. Very impressive how subtle and OEM+ this is.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:18 PM #14
      These things were the coolest forgotten SUVs when they were new. They had the awesome split L/R tailgate and an enormous sunroof for the time. Finding one remotely buyable has become a thing of the past unfortunately. They did an amazing job on this thing!

Remember the Honda Passport (gen 1) was an Isuzu Rodeo and the Acura SLX (gen 1) was an Isuzu Trooper. This was because Honda couldn't get an SUV to market fast enough, so they traded Isuzu their diesel tech for two ready-made SUVs. The Passport continued on into a second generation until the early 2000s (and then the name plate was reintroduced a year ago completely unrelated). The SLX got a refresh in the late 90s, but did not make it into a second generation as its replacement was the MDX (and the Pilot replaced the Passport of the time).

Honda between all this introduced their own SUV in the mid 90s, the CR-V. And along with this came the gen 1 odyssey (with normal rear doors) which was also rebadged as the Isuzu Oasis.
      Last edited by ice4life; 12-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      12-05-2019 07:21 PM #15
      This thing is, for a lack of better word, rad.

12-05-2019 07:23 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      These things were the coolest forgotten SUVs when they were new. They had the awesome split L/R tailgate and an enormous sunroof for the time. Finding one remotely buyable has become a thing of the past unfortunately. They did an amazing job on this thing!

Remember the Honda Passport (gen 1) was an Isuzu Rodeo and the Acura SLX (gen 1) was an Isuzu Trooper. This was because Honda couldn't get an SUV to market fast enough, so they traded Isuzu their diesel tech for two ready-made SUVs. The Passport continued on into a second generation until the early 2000s (and then the name plate was reintroduced a year ago completely unrelated). The SLX got a refresh in the late 90s, but did not make it into a second generation as its replacement was the MDX (and the Pilot replaced the Passport of the time).

Honda between all this introduced their own SUV in the mid 90s, the CR-V. And along with this came the gen 1 odyssey (with normal rear doors) which was also rebadged as the Isuzu Oasis.
      Honda didn't have any diesel tech to trade to Isuzu who knew much more about diesel than Honda. The deal was SUVs for Honda, and cars and minivans for Isuzu - straight up badge swap. Isuzu was looking for replacement for its Aska (JDM rebadged Subaru Legacy - which was the other side of the Subaru Bighorn deal) and Gemini sedans. Honda was looking for SUV for its US operations. Isuzu was more than happy to do it for the money and in return got a rebadged Accord and Domani out of it, and a rebadged Honda Odyssey for kicks.

It's fun to consider what might have happened if Isuzu didn't bail out of passenger car markets but even with all the rebadges that Isuzu was building for everyone, they still couldn't make the math work on developing the next gen Trooper.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 07:39 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Honda didn't have any diesel tech to trade to Isuzu who knew much more about diesel than Honda. The deal was SUVs for Honda, and cars and minivans for Isuzu - straight up badge swap. Isuzu was looking for replacement for its Aska (JDM rebadged Subaru Legacy - which was the other side of the Subaru Bighorn deal) and Gemini sedans. Honda was looking for SUV for its US operations. Isuzu was more than happy to do it for the money and in return got a rebadged Accord and Domani out of it, and a rebadged Honda Odyssey for kicks.

It's fun to consider what might have happened if Isuzu didn't bail out of passenger car markets but even with all the rebadges that Isuzu was building for everyone, they still couldn't make the math work on developing the next gen Trooper.
      Thanks for the correction. I knew I read something about a diesel partnership between honda and isuzu, but it was in the early 2000s when Honda was allowed to use Isuzu's diesel tech in europe in exchange for the Vue engine (since at that point Isuzu was working with GM selling the Ascender)

In 2003 GM made the decision to power the popular Saturn Vue with the J35 V-6 engine supplied by Honda, giving the crossover a respectable 250 horsepower. This was a part of a 1999 agreement between the two companies that also permitted Honda to use Isuzu diesel engines for its European vehicles. At the time, the press release stated that “GM and Honda will also discuss collaboration on future technological and business opportunities of mutual benefit.”

I did find this interesting article of how the Passport name came to be:
      https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...port-got-name/
      Last edited by ice4life; 12-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Vehicles
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
      12-05-2019 09:22 PM #18
      This is pretty awesome. I love seeing these stories where manufacturer's refurbish one of their old cars with modern day bits.
      Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed
      Acura MDX

Gone but not forgotten: '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '00 Mustang GT 5MT | and a bunch of Maximas and other cars...

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-05-2019 09:36 PM #19
      What would this little cooler be for?
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      12-06-2019 12:28 AM #20
      Yet another 2.0T in an SUV.

Pass.

22. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      12-06-2019 07:44 AM #21
      I completely forgot that James was working on this. He mentioned it to me about a year ago during talks about my Element and I just brushed it off as another Acura set of letters.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

23. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2019 08:25 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post

Pass.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Vehicles
      02 M5, 01 M3(x2), 00 528i, 92 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 88 4Runner ,02 Sequoia, 91 Jetta, 95 gsx600
      12-06-2019 08:35 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      probably a trans cooler. might have a fan mounted to the top of it

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      12-06-2019 08:41 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Anything that you want to keep cool, Tommy.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-06-2019 10:36 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post

Pass.

The team pulled out the original naturally aspirated 3.2-liter V6 that made just 190 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque, and dropped in a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four from a new Acura RDX. That engine also received a new intake, exhaust, turbo and ECU tune, which brought power up to an estimated 350 horsepower and 340 pound-feet of torque

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast