VWVortex.com - What is the most unique vehicle you have sat in, driven? For me ... 1953 GM Futurliner
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most unique vehicle you have sat in, driven? For me ... 1953 GM Futurliner

Vehicles
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      12-05-2019 01:28 PM #1
      I'll go first ...

In September 2006 I traveled down to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automotive festival / Labor Day Weekend - Auburn, Indiana.
      Parked on one of the side streets was a 1953 GM Futurliner, my father and I were able to go inside and sit in the drivers area.
      Here's a photo I took and a link to more info on the Futurliner.

http://www.futurliner.org/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      12-05-2019 02:29 PM #2
      Barry can’t play in this thread. That’s just cheating.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      12-05-2019 02:30 PM #3
      Just the one photo? Nothing of the interior?
      Trivia fact: The Futurliner was the basis for the SWAT vans in the original animated Batman series.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-05-2019 02:53 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      I'll go first ...

In September 2006 I traveled down to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automotive festival / Labor Day Weekend - Auburn, Indiana.
      Parked on one of the side streets was a 1953 GM Futurliner, my father and I were able to go inside and sit in the drivers area.
      I love that thing. It was around that time (2005? Ish?) that I got to see one (maybe the very same one?) at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale. I didn't sit in it, but I did have an opportunity to step into it for a moment. What a great experience.

I'd say that besides my car, the most unique thing I've driven recently (in the last six months or so) is perhaps this car:

I've also sat in the Urraco next to it a number of times but haven't had an opportunity to drive it because it's constantly broken. I've driven a lot of other cars at the Lane, but the SZ might be the most exotic as of late. I did get to ride in the Lane's Tatra T-87 driven by Jeff Lane with retired CL veteran SwallowDoretti.

I'll try to remember anything else. There's been a bunch.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-05-2019 02:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PJA View Post

I've also sat in the Urraco next to it a number of times but haven't had an opportunity to drive it because it's constantly broken. I've driven a lot of other cars at the Lane, but the SZ might be the most exotic as of late. I did get to ride in the Lane's Tatra T-87 driven by Jeff Lane with retired CL veteran SwallowDoretti.

I'll try to remember anything else. There's been a bunch.

How does one drive these cars at Lane? VIP list? Easily one of the best places in Nashville.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 03:04 PM #6
      US Ohio-class submarine.

I've driven a few Los Angeles-class subs as well, but lots of countries have fast-attacks. Few have world-ending ballistic missile subs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 03:13 PM #7
      Z8. I was a valet in college, and I got to do a job in the Hamptons where they literally rented out the bridge to park all the cars. There were over 500 cars and I was so lucky to drive this rich lady's Z8. It drove harsh as hell, and I remember it had chrysler minivan-like wipers

The key was also interesting- It was a normal BMW key for the era, but it had a metal plate screwed into the back that said Z8, and there was no key ring hole (as the plate went into the key ring hole). You would put the key in, turn it, and then press the start/stop button. Kind of like an S2000.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      12-05-2019 03:41 PM #8
      I sat in a fire truck once. That was cool.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

10. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-05-2019 03:42 PM #9
      Probably my Uncle's restored Ford Model A Tudor from the late 20s (Tudor was for the 2 door models...guess what they called the 4 doors?) Basically this but in dark blue. Kind of like when people talk about how much more mechanical cars with [manual/hydro steering/carbs/whatever] feel...this is like the epitome of all of those things. It felt borderline steampunk.

[Richard Smith, Wikimedia]

Vehicles
      12-05-2019 03:44 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post

How does one drive these cars at Lane? VIP list? Easily one of the best places in Nashville.
      I've worked for the museum in a couple of minor roles (like being a basement tour guide) and have volunteered for a number of years. Occasionally I'm asked to help with shuttling cars to and from events and so forth. I've also co-driven in the museum's chase cars and back-ups for their semi-annual Rally for the Lane, where members can "rent" a car from the collection for a planned day drive. Lastly, a couple of times a year there are volunteer appreciation events where volunteers who accrue an certain number of hours worked get to drive a number of select cars from the collection.

It is a wonderful place with great people and is a true treasure, not just to Nashville (it's hands down my favorite place in town), but to the automotive community writ large. I am a lucky son-of-a-bitch who is extremely grateful to the staff and management of the Lane to allow me access to their wonderful collection.

12. 12-05-2019 03:47 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      US Ohio-class submarine
      Damn, dude... That's not a car/truck, but as a vehicle, that's very impressive. Under that broad interpretation, I can mention two Concordes (Air France, supersonic to London, and Braniff, subsonic, Dulles to Dallas); the Discovery space shuttle (on the ground, on a very special private tour thanks to our friend Danny Olivas); Fifi, a restored B29 Superfortress (not flying, again on the ground, but I'm also counting it); several hot air balloon rides; and a horrible Duck Tour amphibious vehicle in Hot Springs many many years ago (and never again).

I must mention personally driving the Jack Daniels NASCAR Driving Experience car around Texas Motor Speedway about ten years ago; our friend's then-new late '80s Rolls Royce Corniche convertible; and the bright yellow Gallardo My Beloved rented for us for a weekend for our 22nd anniversary.

And just last year, at the age of 67, I proved to my friend's 11-year-old grandson he had nothing on me, when I hopped on his skateboard and sped away down the street, with all his friends screaming in disbelief and glee, awaiting a disastrous bone-breaking fall that never came...

Vehicles
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      12-05-2019 03:52 PM #12
      I work here, so it's not fair for me to play.

https://hymanltd.com/view/inventory/
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Vehicles
      12-05-2019 04:01 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

"GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY"

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      12-05-2019 04:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

can we switch jobs

probably for me it comes down to your definition of unique. my 58 karmann ghia is pretty unique, but a friends 348 spider was lower production #s.
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 04:14 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Damn, dude... That's not a car/truck, but as a vehicle, that's very impressive.
      Meh, just gotta join the Navy. Somewhere I have a picture of me pulling the "end the world" trigger launching the nukes.

That was a 4-day cruise out of Norfolk. I've also done a couple short hops on fast attacks, plus a couple longer ones, I did San Diego-->Pearl Harbor once, and I've gone out of Pearl a couple of times. Did the transit into Pearl early one morning, sitting on top of the sail, watching the sun come up and smoking a cigar talking to the OOD. Pretty cool.

Edit: I also drove a tank, an M1A1 Abrams, also while in the service. pretty badass.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:19 PM #16
      Meh, just gotta join the Navy. Somewhere I have a picture of me pulling the "end the world" trigger launching the nukes.

That was a 4-day cruise out of Norfolk. I've also done a couple short hops on fast attacks, plus a couple longer ones, I did San Diego-->Pearl Harbor once, and I've gone out of Pearl a couple of times. Did the transit into Pearl early one morning, sitting on top of the sail, watching the sun come up and smoking a cigar talking to the OOD. Pretty cool.

Edit: I also drove a tank, an M1A1 Abrams, also while in the service. pretty badass.
      Sweet dude. My FIL was a nuclear engineer in the Navy on many subs over the years. So mad respect for you both.

18. 12-05-2019 04:22 PM #17
      US Ohio-class submarine.

I've driven a few Los Angeles-class subs as well, but lots of countries have fast-attacks. Few have world-ending ballistic missile subs.
      Awesome!

Couldn't say what class, but I was a guest on a docked nuclear sub in the early 80's - a family exchange trip, and our host family had an officer (could be XO? can't remember). I was in awe the entire time.

One thing I remember distinctly was the closed door with nuclear symbol, glass porthole that was probably 1' deep, with missles on the other side.

A trip to general dynamics as well, watching sections being welded together. I've never seen anything like it since.

I can't imagine the same trip option being available today
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

19. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      12-05-2019 04:29 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      I'll go first ...

http://www.futurliner.org/

I saw one IRL. Door was open, and I could see the staircase. I did not go in.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

12-05-2019 04:30 PM #19
      US Ohio-class submarine.

...and the winner is: The Real Stack!!
      That’s is so amazing! No one is going to beat you I guess!
      Thanks for your service sir!
      Last edited by 2K CC; 12-05-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Typo

12-05-2019 04:32 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Damn, dude... That's not a car/truck, but as a vehicle, that's very impressive. Under that broad interpretation, I can mention two Concordes (Air France, supersonic to London, and Braniff, subsonic, Dulles to Dallas); the Discovery space shuttle (on the ground, on a very special private tour thanks to our friend Danny Olivas); Fifi, a restored B29 Superfortress (not flying, again on the ground, but I'm also counting it); several hot air balloon rides; and a horrible Duck Tour amphibious vehicle in Hot Springs many many years ago (and never again).

I must mention personally driving the Jack Daniels NASCAR Driving Experience car around Texas Motor Speedway about ten years ago; our friend's then-new late '80s Rolls Royce Corniche convertible; and the bright yellow Gallardo My Beloved rented for us for a weekend for our 22nd anniversary.

And just last year, at the age of 67, I proved to my friend's 11-year-old grandson he had nothing on me, when I hopped on his skateboard and sped away down the street, with all his friends screaming in disbelief and glee, awaiting a disastrous bone-breaking fall that never came...
      LOL that’s cool history right there!

22. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      12-05-2019 04:33 PM #21
      I spent about an hour in the cockpit of a B737 flying over Western Europe.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

23. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      12-05-2019 04:34 PM #22
      As a child I used to travel to Washington Island to see family fairly often, and my brother in-law works part time on the ferry line. A friend of the family used to be a skipper on the line as well, and he used to let me steer and control the throttle between ports as a child. That was a lot of fun but their is no way they’d let that happen nowadays.

It’s probably the most interesting thing I’ve ever driven, but as a child I’ve been in some neat planes over the years going to the EAA in Oshkosh. Seems like I’ve been on a bit a dry spell for the past 30yrs or so..

this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight / Lotus Elise SC
      12-05-2019 04:35 PM #23
      As far as driven, it would be perhaps this 48 Nardi-Danese Alfa 6c 2500 (I drove the Conte Trossi car mentioned in the video, it belonged to a friend of mine) or my fathers 1937 Dodge Panel van that got sold to Hemmings Motor News (could only find the pic of their MY36), or maybe the Replica of the Mercedes Patent-Motorwagen, which was pretty unique to drive for sure.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-05-2019 04:38 PM #24
      I assumed this was talking about cars. If we're going to dick swing about "vehicles" in general, then I'd say it was the Delta A350-900 cockpit during its repositioning flight from LAX to ATL week 1 of service.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-05-2019 04:50 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Awesome!

Couldn't say what class, but I was a guest on a docked nuclear sub in the early 80's - a family exchange trip, and our host family had an officer (could be XO? can't remember). I was in awe the entire time.

One thing I remember distinctly was the closed door with nuclear symbol, glass porthole that was probably 1' deep, with missles on the other side.

A trip to general dynamics as well, watching sections being welded together. I've never seen anything like it since.

I can't imagine the same trip option being available today
      You were presumably in Groton, CT, which is the town immediately south of the where I grew up. At EB you were about 5 miles from my childhood house.

Which is why this is kinda funny to me, probably 50% of my elementary school classes were military kids, so they'd all been out in subs a zillion times, dads were on them (no moms on subs in that time!) and saying you drove a sub elicited a complete "meh" from everyone in school.

On the flip side, I never saw, say, a snowmobile until decades later. But in northern WI where we go, they are everywhere. So funny how where you grew up colors what you perceive to be "exotic".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast