VWVortex.com - Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'Everybody knew' [Fiesta, Focus]
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'Everybody knew' [Fiesta, Focus]

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      12-05-2019 08:57 PM #26
      Good read. I knew the transmissions were bad but didn't think the corporate culture was that flawed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      12-05-2019 08:59 PM #27
      That is their REAL reason why Ford stop selling their cars.... BECAUSE they are SH!TTY!! Don't 100% blame the rise CUV/SUV.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

4. 12-05-2019 09:23 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      That is their REAL reason why Ford stop selling their cars.... BECAUSE they are SH!TTY!! Don't 100% blame the rise CUV/SUV.
      In 2016 I was shopping a FiST, manual, ftw!

I talked to the mechanics in the service department about the FiST and Ford in general at two dealerships and all but one said the automatics in the regular Fiestas were crap. The one who said they were fine blamed the customers, he never explained how it was their fault but I pretty much knew they were junk and luckily wasn't shopping them anyway.

To your point I think the Fiesta would have struggled to stay viable in our market being a small car, but you're right that the bad transmissions probably killed the Focus. The Asian and Korean brands gained customers that Ford and I would add GM pissed off.

It's like I posted on the "VW drops by 9 ranks" thread, there's so much competition and an overabundance of options, people aren't as tolerant to crap as they use to be. Sell people junk and you'll pay for it. People are quicker to dump a brand now. And rightfully so.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      12-05-2019 10:01 PM #29
      The automotive press stinks. Reviewers are still recommending these on other vehicles. They down play the driveability issues while collecting free paid trips.

6. 12-05-2019 10:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by driveareliablecar View Post
      The automotive press stinks. Reviewers are still recommending these on other vehicles. They down play the driveability issues while collecting free paid trips.
      What do you mean by "these"? This particular transmission was only ever used on the Fiesta and Focus (and mostly in the North American market) so there are no "other vehicles" to discuss. The VW DSG transmission that was sold in the North American market uses wet clutches and doesn't have the same issues. They do drive "differently" - and some people have a problem with that - and they have not been completely fault-free, but the problems that they have had were not the same as what Ford had, and never to the same extent that Ford had.

12-05-2019 10:18 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Free Press
      The vehicles have saddled the company with an estimated $3 billion in warranty costs plus legal expenses from thousands of lawsuits — losses still adding up as court cases play out and customers continue to report problems, including in weekly calls and emails to the Free Press.
      I had no idea the costs were in the billions and still going. Good gravy. My brother-in-law still has his Focus. I think it's had the trans done once so far and hasn't blown up since, but he does almost exclusively highway driving, where I guess there's less shifting and thus less heat buildup. Still - I'll maybe bring this up when we get together in a couple weeks and see how many miles he's got left on his Ford-extended warranty mentioned in the article.

Vehicles
      2018 Civic 2.0L LX 6MT, 2016 Lexus GX460
      12-05-2019 10:36 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      Y]
      I got to spend some time with Mullally, and I have no doubt he meant well. But habits in upper-middle management there die hard: Raj Nair was a nasty, combative piece-of-work in the dealings I had with him during my CR days. One got the feeling that he didn't like to be told "no."
      I worked at a toxic company for 17 years. You don't get to that level by being 'nice', unless you're some unicorn that got acquired (and then the rest of the leadership team will proceed to eat you alive). These people are mean, petty, savvy, and their skin is made of teflon. NOTHING will stick to them and the they're great at leading the pitchforks and torches brigade when it's time to sacrifice someone for PR.

Mullally meant well, indeed. But driving culture change is basically impossible; middle managers have nothing but time to wait you out, because they know the "fast movers" will rotate out then it'll be business as usual.

After outright brake failure on my last Ford...never again.
      Current: 2018 Honda Civic LX 6MT, 2016 Lexus GX460
      Past: 1995 200SX SE-R, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, 2003 Mini Cooper, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2001 Chevy Silverado 4.8L, 2001 Olds Intrigue, 1990 e30 BMW 325is, 2004 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Chevy K1500, 2000 Toyota Camry, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2009 Toyota Sienna

9. 12-06-2019 12:21 AM #33
      Thought these were decent , no wonder why ive seen clean focus for dirt cheap

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      12-06-2019 12:37 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by DPS6 fiasco article
      Consumers have filed more than 4,300 complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that include reports of 50 injuries, but both Ford and NHTSA regulators say the vehicles do not pose an unreasonable safety risk. The cars have never been recalled for transmission repair.
      Quote Originally Posted by www.nhtsa.gov
      NHTSA'S MISSION:
      Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity.

11. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Vehicles
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      12-06-2019 03:26 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      No, they did that because they offered you a $51K all-in truck with an artificially inflated MSRP.
      Surprised there aren't more threads like this. Move the MSRP, capture the leases! Nobody "buys" cars anymore.

I feel bad for these frod owners, but the same could be said, in other areas about newish VW owners.

Congrats and happy First Friday in DECEMBER!
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯

12. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      12-06-2019 04:46 AM #36
      maybe I've missed the plot.. it wouldn't be the first time. But somehow the idea of a dry dual clutch doesn't seem good, and it never has. I'm not getting how it is supposed to last, long term. I guess the idea is that it is supposed to see small amounts of load so it won't require lubrication in the same way? But if you operate a dry dual clutch in hot environments or introduce a continued high load situation... how are there not going to be heat issues?

13. 12-06-2019 07:06 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      maybe I've missed the plot.. it wouldn't be the first time. But somehow the idea of a dry dual clutch doesn't seem good, and it never has. I'm not getting how it is supposed to last, long term. I guess the idea is that it is supposed to see small amounts of load so it won't require lubrication in the same way? But if you operate a dry dual clutch in hot environments or introduce a continued high load situation... how are there not going to be heat issues?
      Conceptually from a high level, manual transmissions have dry clutches and can go 200k if spec'd and driven correctly. So I think on paper it's possible. The problem is that a dry clutch won't have consistent friction behavior over all time/conditions like a wet clutch, which probably doesn't help with the shuddering issues reported. Otherwise it's probably got a number of design specific issues (seal leaks leading to fouled clutches/slipping widely reported). They probably also tuned the shifting behavior for things other than clutch life which led to lots of slipping on shifts.

14. 12-06-2019 09:38 AM #38
      i had a 2013 Focus that other than the transmission really was a great commuter car. Decent power, good interior, good suspension, and hatchback utility. If it wasn't for the two clutches and then the whole replacement transmission in less than 50k things would have been ok. Oh...and having the dealer consistently blame me for the transmission problems telling me that the "car was not designed to be driven in stop and go traffic." (I actually have that on a service invoice that I kept.) I kinda thought that was the whole reason you bought an automatic.

I will never own another Ford.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      12-06-2019 09:41 AM #39
      Powersh*t transmissions are bad? First time I heard it.
      Glad I never recommended them to anyone.

Vehicles
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      12-06-2019 09:55 AM #40
      I had a 2014 Fiesta hatch for work that was at the dealer three times for the trans issue when they started doing the fixes, first attempt was a reflash of the TCM which made no difference so it went back and they tried to flash it again then as I left the company I had dropped it off for the clutch to be changed out. Not sure what transpired after that.

I enjoyed the car and wouldn't mind one as a personal vehicle but I'd definitely buy the manual over the auto.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-06-2019 10:32 AM #41
      The absolute worst part about this whole thing is that transmission and new engine didn't yield better fuel economy than the competition

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...31216&id=32181

Even the Corolla, with an ancient 4 speed conventional auto, was within 1 MPG combined. The 2012 Focus was only 2MPG/7% better than the 2011 (which had an old 4AT that they prob got from Mazda) as well. Mazda had the right idea- regular degular 6AT with more aggressive TC lockup.

In another timeline TCL GTI devotees are trying to downplay the excellence of the new Fiesta/Focus STs and we are all better off for having more choice. Ford never brought Hackett on and has a healthy stock price and decent reputation outside of trucks and Rustangs. For ****s and giggles the Explorer/Aviator launch is a big success. It could have happened
      Last edited by CTK; 12-06-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      12-06-2019 10:43 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Thought these were decent , no wonder why ive seen clean focus for dirt cheap
      If you can find a manual they’re a good cheap buy.

My sister still has my 2013, no real out of the ordinary issues.

The rear arches rust like a late 90s Honda though.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

19. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      12-06-2019 12:26 PM #43
      Ooh. I forgot about that. When that came out, I remember thinking "karma's a b****." He ambushed my boss and I during a visit to Dearborn. (The best part; you could see the engineers sitting on the edge of the jammed-full conference room nodding and agreeing with us.)

I try to be empathetic; I feel bad for the GM execs I know who got tangentially caught in the ignition switch fiasco, or the multiple FCA execs left go after being tasked with the near-impossible task of improving quality there. But no love lost in Nair's case.

Tom
      Reading between the lines, I'm seriously wondering if it wasn't Nair who was pushing the Powershift to happen. The timeline makes sense, especially given that by early 2014 any reasonable person would have said **** it let's just use the 6F35 so we don't totally destroy our reputation. But Nair was there until 2018 when the Focus stopped production anyway.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      12-06-2019 12:49 PM #44
      Great article. Someone here once said it so i will echo it, glad to see the Detroit Free Press hitting a domestic carmaker when they are bad, not just a propaganda paper for domestic companies.

My ex-gf had a 13 Focus. She is a Ford employee. It was her first new Ford and she was very proud of it. I was shocked at how badly it shuddered from a stop, and the 1-2 shift was horrible...but i figured since it was my first time trying a dual-clutch that is just how they are.

Her TMU failed and the car died in the middle of the road. She has to called a Ford exec to come get her as she was in Dearborn and I was in Lansing at the time. She now has an EcoSport since she is a self-proclaimed Ford girl.

Sadly as others have also said, the managers and executives responsible never get punished. They cashed their bonuses and have either long gone, or the company's 'culture' won't hold them responsible. What should happen is those that made the decisions regarding this tranny should have their bonuses and retirement portfolios seized to offset the costs. Until people are help personally responsible for doing bad acts such as moving forward with a known bad part that is a clear safety issue, nothing will change.

Vehicles
      2018 Civic 2.0L LX 6MT, 2016 Lexus GX460
      12-06-2019 12:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      In another timeline TCL GTI devotees are trying to downplay the excellence of the new Fiesta/Focus STs and we are all better off for having more choice. Ford never brought Hackett on and has a healthy stock price and decent reputation outside of trucks and Rustangs. For ****s and giggles the Explorer/Aviator launch is a big success. It could have happened
      So basically, VWVortex in 2001 when the WRX came out, desperately trying to justify GTIs with the 8v 2.0 115hp engine and the 12v VR6?

Back on topic: Yes it could, absolutely. I think Ford is often guilty of reading its own press and believing in its nave-gazing technical superiority.

• The 1990's transition to the mod motors.
      • Moving the trucks to Aluminum
      • This DSG fiasco
      • Misstep after misstep in the HD Diesel world (6.0, 6.4)

The only "big idea" that's really paid off for ford is EcoBoost, though even there they've spread pretty thin.
      Current: 2018 Honda Civic LX 6MT, 2016 Lexus GX460
      Past: 1995 200SX SE-R, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, 2003 Mini Cooper, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2001 Chevy Silverado 4.8L, 2001 Olds Intrigue, 1990 e30 BMW 325is, 2004 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Chevy K1500, 2000 Toyota Camry, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2009 Toyota Sienna

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      12-06-2019 12:54 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Mazda had the right idea- regular degular 6AT with more aggressive TC lockup.
      Yup. Love how it drives.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

12-06-2019 01:02 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      Until people are help personally responsible for doing bad acts such as moving forward with a known bad part that is a clear safety issue, nothing will change.
      Technically not true. Because the company's current management is being punished and paying the price, it is the current management who has an incentive to not let this happen on their watch because a bad situation will then get even worse. Punishing people who don't even work for the company does nothing to change current behaviors. Punishing the people who are currently in power however gets them to change their behaviors or be punished even harder.

Now if there's a criminal cover-up going on, then absolutely there should be criminal prosecution of whoever was responsible, same as happened to both current and former VW employees with the TDI cover-up. It's important to recognize the difference between civil and criminal matters though. They have to be handled separately.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      12-06-2019 02:11 PM #48
      Where did they actually develop this transmission? Was it designed and tested in the US, or was this all done over in Germany? The Focus and Fiesta are German Fords, right?

Vehicles
      '16 sti
      12-06-2019 02:18 PM #49
      Aren't the 2018+ Mustang GT's having transmission issues too?
      Weren't people snapping forks left and right on them?

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      12-06-2019 02:28 PM #50
      Raj Nair was a nasty, combative piece-of-work in the dealings I had with him during my CR days.
      Interesting. This confirms the vibe I got about Raj from watching the documentary on the Ford GT returning to Le Mans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast