Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 4Motion - Snow Mode?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      12-06-2019 04:34 PM #1
      Was curious if anyone had further details on the Snow mode in 4Motion.

I can definitely feel that it dulls the throttle, and this is confirmed here:
      https://www.vwmodels.ca/performance/4motion/

However, that's not adding a lot of value, and if you're already familiar with winter driving, light on the throttle should come naturally.

I was also hoping that it might switch to a more even distribution of power, instead of retaining the front bias, or a more aggressive setting from Haldex.

Any more info?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 Tig '15 F-150
      12-06-2019 06:03 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

However, that's not adding a lot of value, and if you're already familiar with winter driving, light on the throttle should come naturally.

I was also hoping that it might switch to a more even distribution of power, instead of retaining the front bias, or a more aggressive setting from Haldex.

Any more info?
      We've only had 1 snow here so far, but that was my experience as well. It seems that it retarded the throttle and did start out in 2nd gear. I'll be curious to see how it does in more snow this year, I had Jeep Cherokee before which was a tank in the snow.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-06-2019 06:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

Any more info?
      I wish the Arteon had the dial like the Atlas/Tiguan. It has 4motion, but no way of accessing snow or off-road mode. I don't care so much about off-road mode, but snow mode really does make a difference. I used it in my Atlas and in the loaner Tiguans we had over the years.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 12-06-2019 07:30 PM #4
      We got a bit of snow/icy weather this past week in NJ and I was using snow mode. To my knowledge, not only does it start in 2nd gear and dull the throttle, it also allows the transmission to hold higher gears at lower RPMs than it normally would. So driving at 40 MPH, it may be down at 1k RPM in 7th gear or so.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      12-07-2019 02:48 PM #5
      It seems like the 4Motion snow mode may not do anything with the AWD, just throttle/transmission.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 S 4Motion
      12-08-2019 08:11 AM #6
      Wait, what? Dulls the throttle? In the owners manual page 182 it says "The Snow driving mode increases accelerator sensitivity on icy or snow-covered roads." ROFL Must be a misprint. VW manual

I wish you luck finding out exactly what snow mode does. Here are some articles about a bunch of 4 motion cars being driven on a snow covered Canadian lake: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...canadian-lake/ and another:https://driving.ca/volkswagen/auto-n...riving-partner You can glean some information out of the articles but there was no detailed explanation of all the changes snow mode makes. You also have to consider the source, so unless the information comes directly from VW, you have to decide if the info given is the author's suppositions or real facts.

I'm interested, as you probably are too, if snow mode modifies traction control and / or ABS behavior. I'm not impressed with the dead throttle and starting in second gear for driving in snow with a vehicle that has so little torque at tip in even when not hamstrung by the snow mode Nannie.

9. 12-08-2019 05:55 PM #7
      Jeez I thought the dull throttle was standard.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SE AWD
      12-08-2019 06:56 PM #8
      I assumed it was just a button you could show all your friends, but never really use in the real world.

Vehicles
      '06 GTI (Totaled), '09 GTI (Sold), '15 Golf (Sold), '19 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      12-09-2019 09:47 AM #9
      this is my first car with AWD, yet alone some sort of driving mode button. do people normally leave it in normal during snow or actually switch to that mode?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan Highline
      12-09-2019 10:36 AM #10
      I think I'm inclined to leave things in Normal. We have dedicated winter tires, and are familiar with winter driving over the years, so we wouldn't be gunning the throttle anyway. I've found that it feels incredibly sluggish, so it is probably not for anything other than deep snow.

I guess if I found I was slipping like crazy, I might switch to Snow mode to further smooth out the throttle. However, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that this 4Motion setting may have nothing to do with 4Motioin (AWD) at all.

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SE
      12-09-2019 10:54 AM #11
      Used snow mode a couple times now, but only on the Freeway. Undecided as to the value, but I do feel it might make it a little less likely to "step out" when accelerating to change lanes.