VWVortex.com - Road trip review: 600 miles in a 3/4 ton Uhaul van.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trip review: 600 miles in a 3/4 ton Uhaul van.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      12-14-2019 01:48 PM #1
      Recently, I needed a tow vehicle to cover several hundred miles. Unfortunately the local Uhaul only had a 10ft and 26ft moving vans, the next closest depots 20 minutes south of me lacked any pick-ups either, which I knew would be more comfortable and a more capable tow vehicle than a small van. Enterprise does have truck rentals, but the nearest ones with towing kits were located in Milwaukee. So reluctantly, I rented the 10 ft box van, locally with the car hauler.

First impressions were the 6.0L had plenty of power and the transmission worked well in "tow" mode, unfortunately it retained GM's longstanding terrible, nonlinear throttle response. It was a 2018 with 33K miles (less than my Focus, ironically) and the instruments were complete and well laid out, the tach was part of the multi-function display. Unfortunately the perfectly good standard head unit was replaced with a terrible aftermarket one that made simple tuning a PITA. I also found out quickly that the 10 foot van was a mediocre long distance vehicle for a myriad of reasons...

My suspicions were confirmed that despite being a 2018, and a vehicle with a purpose of driving long distance it lacked cruise control. Although reading the wiki it uses a Flexfuel version of an engine debuted in 2007, so it's possible it has a mechanical throttle cable (makes it much costlier to equip it). Still, it wasn't capable of holding a steady speed at one throttle position (because it has bad throttle response I mentioned), so I was constantly slowing and speeding. I was also the wind's bitch, I spent more concentration than should be considered safe keeping the van and trailer in my lane. I expected some, but got far more than that. So that's two marks against the van and in favor of a pick up. The seats also lacked support (I'm 5'11") and my back was sore after a couple hours- I forgot what it's like to drive something with unsupportive seats. The wheel intrusion (inherent in any van, of course), is problematic for lower back/hip alignment, so avoid a van if you have any issues with that (as I do).

A minor issue was the gearing. Surprisingly, it is geared appropriate for the highway, unfortunately at 60-65 it's constantly hunting between 5th and 6th under any kind of load or grade. And yes, I know UHaul recommends "nO ExCeEDinG fIFtY FivE" with their trailers (lol ok). The back-up camera (integrated in the mirror) was also a total joke- it was both tiny and had a horrendously poor resolution, and a range of as little as 20-25 feet. And that's kind of an issue, in a box van. It also had a surprising amount of wind noise, far more than anything I've owned (that had every window).

The last big issue I had with it, is the suspension is incredibly bouncy. And that translates itself into the trailer AND the car on it, which can make things dicey when say.. you're doing 60 mph on the Chicago Skyway at night and there is still plenty of traffic. Makes staying in your lane by no means easier.

Would I do it again? No. Not unless it was a last resort. It's a capable tow vehicle, but far more compromised and less ideal than a modern pick up truck, at least for long distances. If I didn't live in a rural backwater, it would have been foolish and I would have got an enterprise 3/4T truck (1/2ts they said don't get a towing kit), which would have been far cheaper and a vastly more pleasant drive. Also, funnily enough it's been 3-4 years since I actually towed anything until now.
      Edit: almost forgot it has NO locking glovebox, which is an issue if you're carrying a ton of cash.

Oh, and if you drive through Indiana they gouge you on the northern toll road and it's filled with these terrifying things. Can I blame Electric Fence Pence for that??

Last edited by 88c900t; 12-14-2019 at 01:56 PM.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-14-2019 01:56 PM #2
      Did you do a 1 way rental? I don’t think UHaul does 1 way rentals on pickup trucks.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-14-2019 02:00 PM #3
      Penske only lets you tow with the 16-footer and up that come with dual rear wheels -- aside from being slower with a trailer, I didn't even know it was back there (super stable) when I moved from GA to TX 15 years ago.

We moved our kid from TX to CT last summer and had a 16-foot Penske (Ford E-series with the V10) and it had great power but also no cruise control. We also went through Indiana and the roads were the worst I've ever been on aside from Louisiana. Terrible condition and unlit at night meant it was a little scary at night in the rain with the atrocious sealed-beam headlights. No cruise control on that one, either, which was a bit of a drag, but the engine and trans programming was great (super flexible and intuitive, easy to control with your foot). It had a 75 MPH limiter which kind of sucked.

I helped my mom move from south to north GA earlier this year and got another 16-foot Penske, but it was a GMC and had cruise control, thankfully. The GMC was more comfortable but I preferred the power of the Ford V10.

Last edited by adrew; 12-14-2019 at 02:03 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '61 Beetle '17 Tiguan R '10 Jetta TDI, '18 Golf R
      12-14-2019 02:04 PM #4
      I had to rent one of these for my son's safe grad (to transport 300 kids liquour and clothes) it rained that night on tghe ride back and the headlights on the GM model were useless and it felt very unsafe to drive... 35 MPH on the highway just so I could see, never again!

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      12-14-2019 02:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post

The last big issue I had with it, is the suspension is incredibly bouncy. And that translates itself into the trailer AND the car on it, which can make things dicey when say.. you're doing 60 mph on the Chicago Skyway at night and there is still plenty of traffic. Makes staying in your lane by no means easier.
      I haven had to rent a Uhaul in a while, but the suspension on every rental van/truck I've driven in the past reminded me of this.

https://i.imgur.com/3g8RjdK.mp4

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      12-14-2019 03:27 PM #6
      Did... did I just read a review... for a UHaul?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

8. Junior Member Cradle2theDave's Avatar
      Vehicles
      German, 'Murican, Japanese
      12-14-2019 03:33 PM #7
      I hope I never reach the point where I feel the need to critique the driving dynamics of a rental moving van.

9. 12-14-2019 05:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      so this is TUHL now.

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 06:38 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      so this is TUHL now.
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

11. 12-14-2019 06:45 PM #10
      I had the opposite experience.

I had to rent one in an emergency and used a GMC 10' box to tow my car home about 450 miles through the mountains in PA and through OH - 1 way. I was lucky to get a new one with 3000 miles though, and it had the standard head unit, so I just used my phone's speakers to stream podcasts.
      I found it handled itself really well and chugged along at 70-75 really well - no hunting for gears. I do agree, it required a bit of concentration but it did feel planted in most situations. I have previously used an Enterprise F250 and would prefer that over the box truck, but it worked in a pinch. I would do it again if needed; I was honestly impressed with it. I got about 12mpg with it, which was about the same in the F250. Maybe the OP's was not maintained very well

Last edited by NoGrip61; 12-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-14-2019 07:22 PM #11

Would I do it again? No. Not unless it was a last resort.
      I guessed that from the title. They're cheap and work, but also you get what you pay for with these. Thanks for the right up.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      12-14-2019 09:49 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Did you do a 1 way rental? I don’t think UHaul does 1 way rentals on pickup trucks.
      They do. I've done that more than once.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 10:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      They do. I've done that more than once.
      There must be some limitations on it such as your loation. Every time I've looked at it for a 1 way rental UHaul only shows rates for their box trucks. They won't rent vans or pickups 1 way even with a rental across Florida. Not even a 1 way rental from Tampa to Orlando. I just checked.

Vehicles
      12-15-2019 12:21 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Cradle2theDave View Post
      I hope I never reach the point where I feel the need to critique the driving dynamics of a rental moving van.
      This is still a car enthusiast site, no?

Quote Originally Posted by NoGrip61 View Post
      I had the opposite experience.

I had to rent one in an emergency and used a GMC 10' box to tow my car home about 450 miles through the mountains in PA and through OH - 1 way. I was lucky to get a new one with 3000 miles though, and it had the standard head unit, so I just used my phone's speakers to stream podcasts.
      I found it handled itself really well and chugged along at 70-75 really well - no hunting for gears. I do agree, it required a bit of concentration but it did feel planted in most situations. I have previously used an Enterprise F250 and would prefer that over the box truck, but it worked in a pinch. I would do it again if needed; I was honestly impressed with it. I got about 12mpg with it, which was about the same in the F250. Maybe the OP's was not maintained very well
      I had to do a double take since yours also had a black R32 on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I guessed that from the title. They're cheap and work, but also you get what you pay for with these. Thanks for the right up.
      An Enterprise truck rental would have been much cheaper, so that's my obvious advisable choice. It was still a dollar a mile so I'm not sure I'd consider that cheap...
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      12-15-2019 12:26 AM #15

17. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      12-15-2019 12:43 AM #16
      a) so you found a Skyline?

b) 10’ trucks now have a 6.0? they used to have the 4.8 when they switched from Fords
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

18. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-15-2019 01:18 AM #17
      An Enterprise truck rental would have been much cheaper, so that's my obvious advisable choice. It was still a dollar a mile so I'm not sure I'd consider that cheap...
      Oh, yeah, at 600 miles it's not cheap either.

A few years ago I rented a UHaul 1 ton; it had ~200k miles on it and felt like it was going to shake me out the window. Fortunately I was only in for ~150 miles or so. On the plus size, it was the first time I ever drove a V10!

Vehicles
      12-15-2019 01:40 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      a) so you found a Skyline?

b) 10’ trucks now have a 6.0? they used to have the 4.8 when they switched from Fords
      That's coming

According to GM's website, the base frames have either the 2.8 diesel, 4.3 V6 or the 6 litre. And it felt too powerful to be the 4.8.

20. 12-15-2019 01:48 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Cradle2theDave View Post
      Oh, come on, you joyless bastards... If Car and Driver can do tongue-in-cheek reviews of aircraft carriers, Caterpillar earth movers, and other ridiculous conveyances created by the hands of men, surely a little UHaul driving impression n isn't going to harsh your mellow...

Vehicles
      12-15-2019 02:24 AM #20
      I'm just impressed that this UHaul review was more in depth than some of the purchase threads we have on here.

22. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      12-15-2019 02:36 AM #21
      That's coming

According to GM's website, the base frames have either the 2.8 diesel, 4.3 V6 or the 6 litre. And it felt too powerful to be the 4.8.
      Perhaps you are right, this was ten years ago when I was running a store. Do they even make the 4.8 anymore? Probably not.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      12-15-2019 04:07 AM #22
      I'm just impressed that this UHaul review was more in depth than some of the purchase threads we have on here.
      Honestly I think a tow vehicle review is pretty relevant for a large car enthusiast forum, especially the amount of purchases that happen here of older cars.

Also do note that only the left fender folds down on the trailer, which is an issue if you are towing a RHD car

Last edited by 88c900t; 12-15-2019 at 04:12 AM.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      12-15-2019 07:18 AM #23
      You’re surprised that the suspension is bouncy in an empty vehicle intended to haul cargo? Put 500 lbs back there and I bet it settles a bit.

I will agree on the seats. I rented a 14’ a few years ago and only had to go about 200 miles. The non breathing vinyl seat is what I really hated.

25. 12-15-2019 09:10 AM #24
      Man, all the ones I've rented don't track straight and have beat to crap brakes (nothing, nothing, a little grab) - I have such a hard time being smooth with those in city traffic

I really don't think it's a 6.0 in those, at least the ones I drove

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      12-15-2019 09:25 AM #25
      Are bumper hitches not a thing anymore? Couldn’t you have just rented a random 1/2 ton pickup and thrown a ball on the bumper? I get it’s “not allowed”, but so are most of the things i do in rental vehicles

What about Turo? Surely there’s a pickup with a hitch on there to rent? Or Home Depot? I don’t know what the time/mileage limit is but for short trips that $19.99 is great.

Not criticizing, i just can only imagine the rental cost was outrageous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast