VWVortex.com - So I bought something on Black Friday from a Toyota dealer in Massachusetts...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I bought something on Black Friday from a Toyota dealer in Massachusetts...

Vehicles
      2018 JLUR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      12-14-2019 05:23 PM #1
      But it wasn't a Toyota...

I've been shopping for a 718 Cayman for about a year now, and know the market very well. You'll find 90% of the used base Caymans out there are black, silver or Agate grey. Most have between 10-15k miles on them as 2017s, and 5-10k miles on them as 2018s. They are loaded up with some of the silliest interior color combinations you've ever seen, and questionable options of the first owner. Regardless of year, mileage or original MSRP, they are going anywhere between $54 - $57k depending on where they are in the country. I've had alerts setup on all the major car buying sites and each time I click only to be disappointed by color, option or price. It's been frustrating, but I knew the right car would eventually pop up.

Fast forward to Black Friday and an alert for a 2018 Cayman at Ira Toyota in Tewksbury, MA. I used my handy VinAnalytics.com plugin to see the options and it looked like everything I could ever ask for (hardly any pre-owned base Caymans have PASM/PTV/Sport Chrono so I didn't care) and an original $75k sticker. The car was bought new 4 months ago from Herb Chambers and had 1500 miles on it when it was traded in at the Toyota dealer. One owner, no lien. This made me scratch my chin, but I called and spoke to the salesperson who said it was a lady in her 70s that traded in this car for a Corolla Hatchback and a Maserati with a similar interior at the sister Hyundai store. I had a friend go out and look at the car who said it was in showroom new condition and the factory warranty was good through July 2023. The GM was pretty straight forward and said he'd let it go out the door for $52,500 less Texas sales tax and registration fees. DONE.

Welp, the car was loaded up onto a trailer yesterday and is on its way to me here in Texas. I'm not sure what happened in this lady's life to trade in these two cars, but I'll definitely give it a good home. This is my first P-Car and I couldn't be more excited. Can't wait to get it! As an aside, Ira Toyota of Tewksbury was amazing to deal with and there was absolutely no BS during the entire process.

I know...cool story bro.

http://www.speedsportlife.com
      twitter - @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      IG: zerintx
      2018 Carrara White Porsche Cayman
      2018 Firecracker Red Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-14-2019 05:42 PM #2
      Congratulations!

That's one of my local dealerships and the couple of times I shopped there it was the typical dealer BS. Maybe next time I'll pretend I'm from out of state.
      Last edited by tvrbob; 12-14-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      12-14-2019 05:44 PM #3
      Makes fun of weirdly optioned cars, then proceeds to buy a base model automatic on 20" wheels

Love the color combo, but to me this is a weirdly optioned car. Base model with PDK, base audio, big wheels, and red seatbelts..? With a spec list like that, I'm not surprised that the first owner was a female septuagenarian Personally, I'd be looking for a manual S with sport seats, 19" wheels, Bose audio, and LED headlights.

But hey--maybe those are the "questionable options" you're talking about. I bet some people would consider white over black/bordeaux to be a "silly" interior combo too. All that really matters is you got a car that you want. Enjoy it

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 05:53 PM #4
      That’s the inherent problem with pre-owned. You don’t get to buy exactly what you want if you’d spec it yourself. My primary concern was getting as new a car as possible with the 14-way seats, premium package and PDK in anything but black, silver or grey for under $55k. I accomplished that. Everything else from suspension to performance can be handled aftermarket. But I can’t change someone ordering a full tan interior or no premium package. Again, have to make compromises when it’s preowned *shrug*

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 RS3, 2019 SQ5
      12-14-2019 06:20 PM #5
      People do wild things. I cannot imagine buying a new $75k car with a 2.0T.

Love the red, though.

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      12-14-2019 06:24 PM #6
      That is a very nice car, and what a great deal. Nicely done, enjoy your new ride.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      12-14-2019 06:29 PM #7
      Yeah, slim pickings on the used 718 market for sure. New car sales took a downturn with that model, which we are now seeing reflected in a dearth of interesting stuff on the secondary market. I think that people who bought the real cool spec cars are hanging onto them--maybe the market will look a bit more interesting when the 983 (or whatever it's called) comes out and people upgrade to the latest and greatest.

And yes, there are way too many Agate Grey over Luxor Beige Porsches out there

9. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-14-2019 06:44 PM #8
      OP, awesome pick-up! These cars may be controversial in the written-word but in real life they're amazing drivers that are stunning to look at. Mine is also white with the black tails and IMO the contrast it has with all of the vents and such really set off the car.

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Makes fun of weirdly optioned cars, then proceeds to buy a base model automatic on 20" wheels

Love the color combo, but to me this is a weirdly optioned car. Base model with PDK, base audio, big wheels, and red seatbelts..? With a spec list like that, I'm not surprised that the first owner was a female septuagenarian Personally, I'd be looking for a manual S with sport seats, 19" wheels, Bose audio, and LED headlights.

But hey--maybe those are the "questionable options" you're talking about. I bet some people would consider white over black/bordeaux to be a "silly" interior combo too. All that really matters is you got a car that you want. Enjoy it
      Oh, that car isn't weirdly optioned compared to some other Porsches--I've seen a Cayenne S in the $110s with no heated nor memory seats. I like my 19s but lots of these cars have the 20s; I know they love to sell them, probably they're a high-margin option. And for audio I have the Bose and feel it was a waste of weight. It sounds great stopped but when you're moving there's enough wind/road/tire noise I don't know why I bothered.

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      12-14-2019 06:49 PM #9
      Really good buy. White over red is always classic.

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 06:52 PM #10
      The good news is that the car is still a magnificent drivers car regardless of the options or the uninspiring sound it makes. Mod number one will be pulling that ridiculous SOUNDAKTOR fuse. The good news also is APR has finished their 2.0T tune for this and I know what the numbers are. Let’s just say that performance improvement isn’t going to be an issue.

I really debated a 981S for months, but even the base 718 is a better car in every way other than the way it sounds. Oh well. I’ll hold onto this and see what comes next. I fully intend on this being a stepping stone to the next PCar in 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Yeah, slim pickings on the used 718 market for sure. New car sales took a downturn with that model, which we are now seeing reflected in a dearth of interesting stuff on the secondary market. I think that people who bought the real cool spec cars are hanging onto them--maybe the market will look a bit more interesting when the 983 (or whatever it's called) comes out and people upgrade to the latest and greatest.

And yes, there are way too many Agate Grey over Luxor Beige Porsches out there

12. Member
      12-14-2019 07:01 PM #11
      Congratulations man, beautiful car. I love everything about the color combo and options, looks fantastic.

I did the same when I bought my Miata, spent a lot of time shopping, was very patient, then finally the right one popped up. I gotta say, even though mine was only two hours away, something about being a no-nonsense out of town/state buyer seems to make a difference. I had all my stuff together, ready to sign, and it was the easiest vehicle purchase i've ever done. Weird how the car buying world works.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      12-14-2019 07:03 PM #12
      dig that color combo

Vehicles
      17 Tesla Model X, 13 RRS Supercharged, 08 Ferrari F430, 01 Boxster, 07 Touareg V10, 19 Volvo S60
      12-14-2019 07:11 PM #13
      That car is perfectly optioned. Congratulations!!

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 07:13 PM #14
      It really was a painless buying experience. They actually were even able to beat my local CU with financing rates.

And I agree on the red/white combo. My 10th Anniversary Rubicon was white with a red interior as well. I love it even if it isn’t for everyone. It’s so weird though that someone would spend $5k on a full leather interior and another $1k on misc other packages (white dials, red seatbelts, tinted tail lights and black door handles) and not add things like Bose. I don’t really care that much but it’s just odd how some of these cars were optioned. At least this one has the GT Multifunction heated steering wheel which I love. The 20s are nice looking wheels and have Pilot Sport 4S tires on them but maybe a set of aftermarket smaller wheels will be in the cards when those need replacing. I can’t believe how much those 20s sell for even used!

As for other weird specs, There are soooo many cars that have $3k paint colors, body matched interior bits and not a single other option. Why??

Here’s the full build list

Price: $74,540.00
      Exterior: Carrara White Metallic
      Interior: Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red

BASE 718 Cayman
      250 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
      2Y Carrara White Metallic
      433 20" Carrera S Wheels
      457 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
      489 Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
      583 Smoking package
      658 Power Steering Plus
      718 Model Designation "718"
      858 GT Sport Steering Wheel
      970 Two-tone leather interior
      BM Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red
      IU2 Porsche Connect
      P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
      P9B Premium Package (Sport Seats, 14-way)
      XFJ Instrument dials in White
      XJA Door Handles in High Gloss Black
      XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
      XSX Seat belts in Guards Red
      XXP Tinted Taillights
      Last edited by zerind; 12-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-14-2019 07:19 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      As for other weird specs, There are soooo many cars that have $3k paint colors, body matched interior bits and not a single other option. Why??
      I think a lot of people buy these cars for the wrong reasons. TBH my favorite option is PTV and it's rare. The good news is even an absolute base car is still marvelous to drive and look at.

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 07:21 PM #16
      I saw a lot more cars with PASM and PTV if you include the 6MT cars, but PDK was non-negotiable. All good. Any pics of your car?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I think a lot of people buy these cars for the wrong reasons. TBH my favorite option is PTV and it's rare. The good news is even an absolute base car is still marvelous to drive and look at.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-14-2019 07:26 PM #17
      I saw a lot more cars with PASM and PTV if you include the 6MT cars, but PDK was non-negotiable. All good. Any pics of your car?
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...718-Content!!)

Right now there's a cover on it but planning on getting the 18" snow tire kit at some point here. Absolutely love the car. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or anything.

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 07:36 PM #18
      Beautiful! Did you see APR released their software last week for the 2.5?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...718-Content!!)

Right now there's a cover on it but planning on getting the 18" snow tire kit at some point here. Absolutely love the car. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or anything.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      12-14-2019 07:36 PM #19

Hate
      250 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
      XJA Door Handles in High Gloss Black

Love that she got the free options; why not?!
      583 Smoking package
      718 Model Designation "718"

Love
      XFJ Instrument dials in White
      XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
      XSX Seat belts in Guards Red
      XXP Tinted Taillights
      It is actually a pretty interestingly optioned car. I just hate that it is a PDK and the black door handles look so strange to me, like they forgot to paint them. Having said all that, overall it looks really great so nice pickup! Congrats!

Vehicles
      12-14-2019 07:39 PM #20
      The black door handles are odd to me too but eh I’ll get over it

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      It is actually a pretty interestingly optioned car. I just hate that it is a PDK and the black door handles look so strange to me, like they forgot to paint them. Having said all that, overall it looks really great so nice pickup! C ongrats!

22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      12-14-2019 07:43 PM #21
      Looks great! Congrats on the purchase!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-14-2019 07:58 PM #22
      Beautiful! Did you see APR released their software last week for the 2.5?
      Thanks! Yep, I'm planning on that sooner or later. Also tires are all on the roadmap and a more immediate concern; at LRP I can keep up with some pretty serious cars, but in the turns...around the same or maybe less road holding vs a spec Miata. I'm thinking Trofeo R's or Sport Cup 2s but I'm going to use up the PZeros first.

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life
      and the black door handles look so strange to me, like they forgot to paint them.
      I'm generally not a big fan of them either, but like the rear wiper option, they have some P-car 'legacy' to them and appear a surprising amount.

[petrolicious]

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01 911 Turbo
      12-14-2019 08:23 PM #23
      Congratulations! I just bought my first p car also. Albeit it's much older for only a little less than you paid I was looking at Caymans. Enjoy it!

I would use Michelin ps4s if you are tracking and street driving. You can deff daily drive that car easily.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ENV²; 12-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      12-14-2019 09:16 PM #24
      Congratulations and good luck.

Ira is part of Group 1 Automotive based in Houston. I'm surprised that this Toyota store - which is pretty small - didn't send it up to their Porsche store. Tewksbury isn't exactly a Porsche market.

26. 12-14-2019 09:35 PM #25
      Because color is very important to me and the only option on your list that I want is the sport steering wheel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast