Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can't find a ignition control module

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 8P 2.0 Turbo, 2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      12-18-2019 02:04 AM #1
      I have a 2006 A3 2.0T FSI with 180K miles, and have searched for ages to no avail looking for an ignition control module. I have a misfire on cyl 2 and many have suggested replacing the ICM. However I can't find a part number or vendor for this item. Can anyone provide either or both please?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      12-18-2019 12:26 PM #2
      You won't find it because the Ecm controls spark.

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 11:34 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI's View Post
      You won't find it because the Ecm controls spark.
      Oh, wow. That would explain it then, but not why posts recommend replacing the ICM to remedy a missfire - very weird. Thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      12-20-2019 09:40 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 01greengti View Post
      Oh, wow. That would explain it then, but not why posts recommend replacing the ICM to remedy a missfire - very weird. Thank you!
      Have you swapped the coil pack from cylinder #2 to another cylinder and see it misfire follows the coil. If not and stays in cylinder#2 change or swap out the spark plug and see if an change in misfire.

And for testing function for your A3 follow the next four pages https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a3...ams/page_8156/

Vehicles
      12-20-2019 03:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI's View Post
      Have you swapped the coil pack from cylinder #2 to another cylinder and see it misfire follows the coil. If not and stays in cylinder#2 change or swap out the spark plug and see if an change in misfire.
      The misfire happened on my commute home the other day, followed by smoke from the engine. When I pulled the coil packs the sparkplug wells has about and inch and a half of oil in them, indicating a bad valve cover gasket, so that's my project this weekend now that the parts are in. The smoke was the oil seeping onto hot parts.

After cleaning the oil out of the wells I cleared the code and swapped coilpack with cyl #1 to see if the misfire followed or stayed put, but after 500 miles and 6 days later the code hasn't returned and it's running fine. I don't see why the oil outside the engine would necessarily cause a missfire, other than perhaps pressure pushing the coilpack off the plug(?) but at this stage the misfire has dissappeared. I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket and PCV valve (just because it's cheap and I want to eliminate if it's causing backpressure resulting in a leak) this weekend and degreasing the motor, along with an oil change (the PO was using 5W20 and it looks nasty, so I need to replace that with 5W30), so we'll see if that improves things.

I'll also be inspecting the lifters as this motor is noisy. I know 2.0T FSI's are supposed to be, but when I had this much noise in my VR6 it was a collapsed lifter. Better to check when in there to be sure. At least, unlike the GTI, I don't have to remove the front of the car to access bolts to remove the intake manifold - that was not fun! Maybe I'll use 5W40 to help the noise.