VWVortex.com - LOL WATT! $61 for a 35% charge on a Kona EV at Electrify America
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL WATT! $61 for a 35% charge on a Kona EV at Electrify America

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-19-2019 02:08 PM #1
      If this is the true cost of using the Electrify America system, non-Tesla EVs will never reach mainstream users except for commuters who can home charge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricveh...ica_is_a_scam/

When I bought my first electric car back in 2017 I enjoyed low charging costs at home, great acceleration and long range capability, I still enjoy all of these things but upon purchase of my Hyundai Kona EV and a couple long range trips I feel that I have to speak up about the elephant in the room. EV fast charging stations are NOT cheap... At all. I charged my Kona EV at an electrify America charger yesterday and was billed over $47 for a charge that started at 50%. Just to put that into perspective that is approximately 0.47 cents a mile, which is confusing at best. My old Jeep Wrangler was less per mile then that.

The breakdown after I finally got the one station of the 4 stalls I used to work is as follows:

Session fee: $1 Charging: $47.04 Idling: $12.80

Total energy delivered: 25.32 kWh. Charging cost: 0.69 cents a minute. Max power: 150kW.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      12-19-2019 02:11 PM #2
      what the heck did this person do wrong?

my experience pool is small but all the examples i have seen were like $5 for a similar amount of charge.

maybe its explainable by the type of charger, starting at 58% and going to 93% instead of 80-ish where many have mentioned charging speeds slow down. and idle time? not a good idea to sit in the spot doing nothing.

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-19-2019 02:13 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      If this is the true cost of using the Electrify America system, non-Tesla EVs will never reach mainstream users except for commuters who can home charge.

VW has to make their money back after Diesel Gate

Sounds right though..

Drivers will still pay $1 to initiate a charging session and up to 40 cents per minute for parking after their charge is complete.

The company plans to reduce its standard per-minute rates as well, from 30 to 35 cents per minute (depending on the location) to 24 to 28 cents per minute, the company announced at an event at its headquarters in Virginia last week.

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 02:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      VW has to make their money back after Diesel Gate

Sounds right though..
      If Tesla charged this much for charging they would have been in the black years ago!

(or gone under as no one would buy their cars)

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 02:33 PM #5
      poking around a bit... EA is likely the most expensive charging option they could have used.

one of the local public level2 plugs near my house is $0.39-0.49 per kwh, not per minute.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-19-2019 02:53 PM #6
      Why the idling charge if he didn't hit 100%? And is there a grace period or is it charge cost charge cost charge cost BAM idle cost idle cost idle cost?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-19-2019 02:59 PM #7
      LOL, costs me a little over $70 to fill up the Jeep with premium. Hopefully there are cheaper alternatives out there, but I have read stories of places like car dealers charging fairly high rates to use their chargers.

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-19-2019 03:04 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Why the idling charge if he didn't hit 100%? And is there a grace period or is it charge cost charge cost charge cost BAM idle cost idle cost idle cost?
      Good question, wonder if you can set what you want to max charge it too? But it is interesting it didnt go to 100 then idle, it stopped at 93 and started idling

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      12-19-2019 03:12 PM #9
      I bet the Kona has a setting to stop at 80%. Once that is hit the charging will stop but since it's plugged in the idle charging starts to apply. I'm not sure how long you have though between charging and idle.

Looks like he could have saved $12 by unplugging when it was done. Still a little spendy but not as terrible as it looks.

I also think this isn't that big of a deal. You're only going to be using the DC chargers while on a road trip so the higher cost of those will be diminished since most of the time people can just charge at home.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      12-19-2019 03:15 PM #10
      Wow, going from 58% to 93% is like adding 90 miles (based on a max of 258). The reported MPGe is 132 in the city, so that would be equivalent to using 0.68 gallons of gas. They are essentially charging $78 per gallon!
      If I used a more traditional fuel economy of something like 40MPG, it would be like burning 2.25 gallons, for an equilivant price of $20 a gallon.

Ouch!

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-19-2019 03:17 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      I also think this isn't that big of a deal. You're only going to be using the DC chargers while on a road trip so the higher cost of those will be diminished since most of the time people can just charge at home.
      100% disagree.

Remember when gas got really expensive back in like 2005 and we have Congressional inquiries and such over "gouging at the pump" and all that? This is crazy gouging, and if it isn't stopped, it will absolutely kill the market for EVs. People will pay for convenience, but if a "full tank" at home costs $2, they're going to expect to pay, I dunno, $5 on the road. Not $50.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

13. 12-19-2019 03:22 PM #12
      EA pricing is dumb... it bases it off the max charging rate that the car allows. So the Kona being 76kw, gets pushed into the 125kw (?) tier even if it is just above the 75kw tier and even if the 75k isn't reached. Then combine that with being on the bad end of the charging curve and you pretty much have the worst case of DC fast charging.

12-19-2019 03:32 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by silverlegacy View Post
      EA pricing is dumb... it bases it off the max charging rate that the car allows. So the Kona being 76kw, gets pushed into the 125kw (?) tier even if it is just above the 75kw tier and even if the 75k isn't reached. Then combine that with being on the bad end of the charging curve and you pretty much have the worst case of DC fast charging.
      EV owners seem to be a lot smarter and more vocal than average members of the public. If Volkswagen's electric company plays enough stupid games like this, nobody will use their chargers in the first place and the problem will correct itself one way or another.

12-19-2019 03:38 PM #14
      EA recently opened several stations in Arizona but did not include any AC J1772 plugs, while elsewhere EA often included at least one J1772. I was disappointed by that — my non-DC-fast-charging EV can’t even stop by one of the new stations for a charge.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-19-2019 03:39 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      EV owners seem to be a lot smarter and more vocal than average members of the public. If Volkswagen's electric company plays enough stupid games like this, nobody will use their chargers in the first place and the problem will correct itself one way or another.
      Hopefully, except given the relative scarcity of chargers coupled with the number of chargers that are DOA when people get to them, it might not be that simple, it's not (yet) like eschewing BP for the Shell across the street.

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      12-19-2019 03:41 PM #16
      a big issue is regulatory, utilities (typically state regulated monopolies) can charge demand rates even if the chargers aren't being used. basically, they charge these stations out the wazoo to have up to 150kW of juice to be dispensed at the ready...think of this like a base service charge. This makes the cost of high speed charging very high in many places.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      12-19-2019 03:42 PM #17
      Looks like there's a 10 minute grace period.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing

Don’t forget to move your car after it’s finished charging. A $0.40 per-minute idle fee is added to your total session bill if your vehicle is not moved within the 10-minute grace period after your charging session is complete. We do this to ensure more people have a chance to charge. The app and the charger screen will let you know when the idle fee is going into effect, so you can unplug your car in time.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      12-19-2019 04:02 PM #18
      Okay let's just get a few things straight.

1. The car was likely fully charged when the charging station indicated 93%. 93% SOC on the Kona will likely indicate a ''full'' charge on the dashboard, the car doesn't let it go above that to protect the battery. It's like my Prius Prime, when the dashboard indicates 100% battery, it's actually around 83% SOC, and when it indicates 0%, it's actually around 17-18% SOC. EV's often display a ''dumbed down'' version of SOC because it never fully charges or discharges, whereas the actual charger or OBD apps will report the real SOC. It likely stopped at 93% because the battery was as full as Hyundai allows it, and the station started charging an idling fee.

2. Price at this fast charge station is 0.69$ per minute. It doesn't take a genius to figure out, that if you leave your car plugged in for over an HOUR, it's going to cost quite a bit of money.

3. After 80% charge, the charge rate tapers significantly, at the very end it's likely charging at L2 speeds or even lower. Plugging in at 58% and leaving your car there for an hour is a ROOKIE mistake.

4. He should have just left his car plugged in for about 10 minutes, he would have quickly been up to 80% and been on his way for around 6-7$.

I'm not quite sure if that guy is trolling, or maybe he just plugged his car in without any knowledge about how anything EV related works. If that's the case, we still have a long way to go before EV's become mainstream.
      Last edited by Dubveiser; 12-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-19-2019 04:08 PM #19
      Infrastructure is all too important. We need more EV infrastructure, and also simplified pricing, otherwise it's too complicated for those transitioning from ICE where the cost of filling up is easily determined and relatively consistent over a short period where gas prices are relatively steady.

I'm fortunate to have the option to charge at home if I were to get an EV, but many don't. All stories like this do are create even more fear of EV range and charging difficulties for those that don't look at the details or the minutiae of charge rates and such.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      12-19-2019 04:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Okay let's just get a few things straight.

1. The car was likely fully charged when the charging station indicated 93%. 93% SOC on the Kona will likely indicate a ''full'' charge on the dashboard, the car doesn't let it go above that to protect the battery. It's like my Prius Prime, when the dashboard indicates 100% battery, it's actually around 83% SOC, and when it indicates 0%, it's actually around 17-18% SOC. EV's often display a ''dumbed down'' version of SOC because it never fully charges or discharges, whereas the actual charger or OBD apps will report the real SOC. It likely stopped at 93% because the battery was as full as Hyundai allows it, and the station started charging an idling fee.

2. Price at this fast charge station is 0.69$ per minute. It doesn't take a genius to figure out, that if you leave your car plugged in for over an HOUR, it's going to cost quite a bit of money.

3. After 80% charge, the charge rate tapers significantly, at the very end it's likely charging at L2 speeds or even lower. Plugging in at 58% and leaving your car there for an hour is a ROOKIE mistake.

4. He should have just left his car plugged in for about 10 minutes, he would have quickly been up to 80% and been on his way for around 6-7$.

I'm not quite sure if that guy is trolling, or maybe he just plugged his car in without any knowledge about how anything EV related works. If that's the case, we still have a long way to go before EV's become mainstream.
      That's true, but EV charging needs to be idiot proof before it can catch on. The math is super simple for gasoline: Get 1 gallon, pay $X.XX. You don't pay more because you filled from a half tank or walked inside the convenience store to by a soda after you were done charging. EVs have to be a better experience for the money if you want to "Electrify America."

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      12-19-2019 04:32 PM #21
      I wonder if the idling rate and $/minute are compounded?

Anyways, another EV owner being ignorant.

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 04:43 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      That's true, but EV charging needs to be idiot proof before it can catch on. The math is super simple for gasoline: Get 1 gallon, pay $X.XX. You don't pay more because you filled from a half tank or walked inside the convenience store to by a soda after you were done charging. EVs have to be a better experience for the money if you want to "Electrify America."
      while i do agree... this person was charging slowly at a fast charger for most of their nearly 70 minute session, then left the car sitting at the charger for another 42 minutes (10 minute grace, plus)

additionally, some of the other charging options DO seem to make it a much easier computation versus the 'per minute' route that EA went.

the local blink charger is $0.39-0.49 per kwh (member vs guest).
      so if you have to a potential charge 30kwh in total, that should be $14.70 max.

IMO that's similar enough to fueling a gasser that people shouldnt be scared away.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 12-19-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Vehicles
      12-19-2019 04:46 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Wow, going from 58% to 93% is like adding 90 miles (based on a max of 258). The reported MPGe is 132 in the city, so that would be equivalent to using 0.68 gallons of gas. They are essentially charging $78 per gallon!
      If I used a more traditional fuel economy of something like 40MPG, it would be like burning 2.25 gallons, for an equilivant price of $20 a gallon.

Ouch!
      That is what I was wondering about but didn't want to research enough to do the math. I just paid $40 for about 17.5 gallon of gas that will take my pickup truck about 330 miles. He is paying an additional $7 ($47 not counting the idle fee) to go just 90 miles. That is just crazy.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-19-2019 04:47 PM #24
      How long until the likes of New Jersey and Oregon pass a law preventing the public from plugging in the charger themselves?

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      12-19-2019 05:04 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      How long until the likes of New Jersey and Oregon pass a law preventing the public from plugging in the charger themselves?
      IL has a rule like that for unions at McCormack Place (trade show hall) and the like, I wouldn't be.....huhuh...shocked.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast