Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Crowd sourcing info: Diminished Value

Vehicles
      broken things
      12-20-2019 12:01 PM #1
      Hey folks,

So, a few weeks ago I was rammed at a stop light.

Incredibly, it wasn't from someone coming to a stop. We all stopped for the light and the person in front of me was waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street. I hadn't even taken my foot off the brakes, and I was rammed by a 1997 Explorer, apparently in more of a hurry than I was.

Witness:

No airbag deployment, no injuries and neither my wife or my son was in the car, so all good in that department.

Interesting note #1 - the person in question was driving on a Learner's Permit without a licensed driver in the car with her.

Interesting note # 2 - said Learner's Permit was expired.

Thankfully, their insurance is valid, the driver admitted fault and their policy is picking up the tab at my shop of choice. So, for the most part, I am being made whole.

However, I know that my car's resale value will now take a hit, as the accident will be reported to Carfax. So, I plan on submitting a Diminished Value claim to the driver's insurance company to recover that loss.

My question to the Car Lounge: does anyone have access to a database that would track values of a 2017 Golf values pre- and post-accident? I'm trying to figure out a way to prove how much of a loss I am taking as a result of this.

The shop will be providing me with photographic evidence of the repairs.
      1981 Scirocco 5MT
      2017 Golf Alltrack 4MO 6MT

Philadelphia, PA

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '94 FD RX-7
      12-20-2019 02:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Hey folks,

So, a few weeks ago I was rammed at a stop light.

Incredibly, it wasn't from someone coming to a stop. We all stopped for the light and the person in front of me was waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street. I hadn't even taken my foot off the brakes, and I was rammed by a 1997 Explorer, apparently in more of a hurry than I was.

Witness:

No airbag deployment, no injuries and neither my wife or my son was in the car, so all good in that department.

Interesting note #1 - the person in question was driving on a Learner's Permit without a licensed driver in the car with her.

Interesting note # 2 - said Learner's Permit was expired.

Thankfully, their insurance is valid, the driver admitted fault and their policy is picking up the tab at my shop of choice. So, for the most part, I am being made whole.

However, I know that my car's resale value will now take a hit, as the accident will be reported to Carfax. So, I plan on submitting a Diminished Value claim to the driver's insurance company to recover that loss.

My question to the Car Lounge: does anyone have access to a database that would track values of a 2017 Golf values pre- and post-accident? I'm trying to figure out a way to prove how much of a loss I am taking as a result of this.

The shop will be providing me with photographic evidence of the repairs.
      It's too early for you to determine a diminished value amount, the bodyshop should complete the repairs first so you have a clear represnetation of the extent of damage. Let the responsible insurer know that you will be requesting a diminished value payment now and they will probably put you in contact with an internal representative that will determine the diminished value after repairs and make you an offer, it you think it is unacceptable you can hire a third party to perform a valuation and submit it to the responsible insurer.

Who is the responsible insurer/insurance provider for the at fault driver?

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-20-2019 02:40 PM #3
      I hope the police showed up to revoke that persons permit... expired permit at that lol
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

Vehicles
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      12-20-2019 03:25 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      I hope the police showed up to revoke that persons permit... expired permit at that lol
      my sarcasometer may be off, can't tell if joking or serious... what would that do? they already didn't have a license or valid permit. and that didn't stop them. same thing happens for repeat DUI offenders, they keep on finding a way. Watch "Live PD" or "Cops", at least half of their stops have involve revoked/no license and outstanding warrants.

CSB #1: my folks were rear-ended by a guy (not his car, "borrowed from a friend") without a license (revoked after previous accidents/tickets). he tried to hit-and-run, but in stop-and-go traffic, the car overheated and died a few hundred yards later. no license and no car didn't stop him from driving.

CSB #2 and more on topic: my wife's CUV was t-boned. we got a check for ~$2k for diminished value (i have no idea where they came up with the number, but i took it and ran), and then another one to cover the ER and follow-up appts., and another for release of liability "hush money" (will not sue in the future from related injuries that may arise later down the road).
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-20-2019 03:40 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post
      my sarcasometer may be off, can't tell if joking or serious... what would that do? they already didn't have a license or valid permit. and that didn't stop them. same thing happens for repeat DUI offenders, they keep on finding a way. Watch "Live PD" or "Cops", at least half of their stops have involve revoked/no license and outstanding warrants.

CSB #1: my folks were rear-ended by a guy (not his car, "borrowed from a friend") without a license (revoked after previous accidents/tickets). he tried to hit-and-run, but in stop-and-go traffic, the car overheated and died a few hundred yards later. no license and no car didn't stop him from driving.

CSB #2 and more on topic: my wife's CUV was t-boned. we got a check for ~$2k for diminished value (i have no idea where they came up with the number, but i took it and ran), and then another one to cover the ER and follow-up appts., and another for release of liability "hush money" (will not sue in the future from related injuries that may arise later down the road).
      well they should take the physical permit away and issue a citation... pretty sure it's a pretty big deal to drive without a license, like an arrestable offense IIRC

7. 12-20-2019 03:51 PM #6
      In my state, there's an obligation to report these things to the BMV--so they can revoke licenses.

(BTW, are you selling that Matrix?)

Vehicles
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      12-20-2019 04:00 PM #7
      Because that will stop them..

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      12-20-2019 04:03 PM #8
      Good luck with a diminished value claim. I tried twice when I've had cars with substantial damage, but repaired via other at faults insurance. Both times I was told to pound sand. Unless you have deep pockets to fight it out in court with an attorney or submitting small claims. The issue is trying to put value on an unknown.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-20-2019 04:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      In my state, there's an obligation to report these things to the BMV--so they can revoke licenses.

(BTW, are you selling that Matrix?)
      No I just got the damn thing. Had 85k on it when I bought it, about to roll over 91k. VTEC everywhere, yo. Er, VVTL-i....

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-20-2019 04:04 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Because that will stop them..
      forgot the part about citing them for driving without a valid license, which could get them arrested.

Vehicles
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      12-20-2019 04:36 PM #11
      forgot the part about citing them for driving without a valid license, which could get them arrested.

And the existing threat of that obviously prevented them from being the catalyst for this thread.

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      12-20-2019 09:23 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      And the existing threat of that obviously prevented them from being the catalyst for this thread.
      So, what would you suggest?

14. 12-23-2019 08:49 AM #13
      These guys are great. They have helped quite a few of us on here and other forums.

Zb Negotiations
      ZBLLC.NET

Ask for John
      516-428-2392

15. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      12-23-2019 08:53 AM #14
      So, what would you suggest?
      Shoot them on the spot?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      broken things
      01-08-2020 11:40 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MolotovMan View Post
      It's too early for you to determine a diminished value amount, the bodyshop should complete the repairs first so you have a clear represnetation of the extent of damage. Let the responsible insurer know that you will be requesting a diminished value payment now and they will probably put you in contact with an internal representative that will determine the diminished value after repairs and make you an offer, it you think it is unacceptable you can hire a third party to perform a valuation and submit it to the responsible insurer.

Who is the responsible insurer/insurance provider for the at fault driver?
      Progressive. Discussions with my insurance provider (Encompass) and the shop are indicating that they can often be a pain in the rear to deal with. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by appleman View Post
      These guys are great. They have helped quite a few of us on here and other forums.

Zb Negotiations
      ZBLLC.NET

Ask for John
      516-428-2392
      Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know if ZB takes a flat fee or a % of recovery?
      1981 Scirocco 5MT
      2017 Golf Alltrack 4MO 6MT

Philadelphia, PA

17. 01-09-2020 11:20 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Progressive. Discussions with my insurance provider (Encompass) and the shop are indicating that they can often be a pain in the rear to deal with. We shall see.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know if ZB takes a flat fee or a % of recovery?
      Generally a DV claim is based on state rules and regs. I know some states DV claims are real and valid, but most states are going to tell you that it isn't a recognized "loss" and to take it up with the carrier, who will in turn tell you to pound sand.

I am assuming this happened in PA according to your bio, which doesn't recognize DV claims so you are likely hosed right there. Further, unless you have an extremely pricey car then its really not a major deal honestly. If you are talking about a 100k+ car, or even something that has real collectible value you might have a case. However if you are talking about anything with a VW badge on it? No chance.

Further, Progressive is the least likely carrier to play ball. The only way this would even be discussed in a state like PA is if you were full tort, a significant accident, and a risk of a BI suit. If none of those things are true, its over.