VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally bought a car today. E30 content

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-08-2020 06:45 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by dan of montana View Post
      Radwood was your play? Bold move, but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You didn't play the "I'll get them on the phone for you right now if I have to" line?
      I didn’t actually bring up Radwood. She had already decided that it needed to have classic plates for it to qualify, even though that’s not what the VC states. But I was tempted to pull up bring a trailer and show her what classic e30s go for.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Must be the penalties; the car itself won't cost that much to reg. My 2000 M Coupe is only $150 and most of that is personalized tahoe plates.

Problem is, CA got around this by requiring you to register the car *as* non-operational. It's *cheap* to do so, and if you want to re-activate it mid-year, you just pay that year's reg, no penalties... but it keeps you from being able to claim "oh, nobody's driven it the past 5 years" after the fact.

Nice to know that they at least waive the penalties if you claim you had no idea. Back reg is back reg.
      Here is the page on dmv’s site: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dbk/ch3/ch3_17
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      01-08-2020 08:16 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      That's downright reasonable!
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      01-09-2020 09:11 AM #103
      I didn’t actually bring up Radwood. She had already decided that it needed to have classic plates for it to qualify, even though that’s not what the VC states. But I was tempted to pull up bring a trailer and show her what classic e30s go for.
      Wasn't worth it to point out that it didn't need the classic plates?

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-09-2020 10:19 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Wasn't worth it to point out that it didn't need the classic plates?
      The amount of salt in her tone made me switch gears. She said it’s “just a car on the street.” I wish I would have printed out the VC and highlighted the important sections. But, it was a last minute decision to go. Checked the wait times online, and it was only five minutes, so I snuck it into my lunch break. Plus, I am very non-confrontational, so there is also that.

It’s definitely still a win, but I may have saved another 150 bucks.

I should start a running tally, and see how it end up comparing to the S4. Shifter rebuild parts are moderately expensive for the e30. With a short shifter, and the splurge on the Motorsport knob, it looks like I may be spending close to 400 bucks. These aren’t VW prices. I might forgo the z3 shifter.

Edit: I am at $2234.36 so far. Clutch, flywheel resurfacing, shifter rebuild, tires for the 15s haven’t happened yet. As well as selling the 16s.

Edit edit: 2404.36, forgot the pedals/trans crossmember.
      Last edited by Bad Rabbit Habit; 01-09-2020 at 10:29 AM.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-09-2020 10:58 PM #105
      Now at 2,524.36 thanks to whalemingo, I have a clutch coming!

I guess I should order the shifter junk, I may be able to do the swap next weekend.

I am disappointed in myself, it rained today, so I probably could have found some puddles for shenanigans. This is what happens with a fwd guy gets a rwd car with an lsd. All I think about is donuts. But instead, I am watching How it’s Made, and searching for parts.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Twin TurboCharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-09-2020 11:11 PM #106
      Love the cost updates
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      01-10-2020 02:31 AM #107
      Coming together nicely. Noice.

9. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-10-2020 02:41 AM #108
      Yaaaaaaassssss
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-13-2020 10:54 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Love the cost updates
      Got another for you: 2,767.26. Ordered the shifter rebuild kit, shift boot and the other shift boot. Oh, and since I have an early trans, the rebuild kit is much cheaper, so I ended up ordering the z3 1.9 shifter as well.

No real bites on the wheels. I am thinking I may have better luck if I separate the tires. Not a lot of 4x100 cars can swallow a 215/50/15.

Also put some stereo equipment in it. I have a bunch of high end equip lying around, so it got a Audison LRX3.1k amp, Pioneer PRS 5.25 components, and a Rockford P2-12. I am using a JL Bluetooth receiver, and controlling everything from the phone. IIRC the MSRP of everything, I could add ~1800 to the tally. But I probably only have 500 in the equipment, and that cost has long been sunk.
      -Jon

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      01-13-2020 11:55 PM #110
      Damn son. Audison and Pioneer PRS series is no joke quality. Well done.

You will love that Z3 shifter!

And you are likely right on the wheels/tires.

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-14-2020 12:11 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Damn son. Audison and Pioneer PRS series is no joke quality. Well done.

You will love that Z3 shifter!

And you are likely right on the wheels/tires.
      Yah, I used to do car stereo, and for a bit, worked at a high end shop. Until I couldn’t it afford to anymore. I literally subsidized working there by selling my cars. I started with 7 cars and 2.5 bikes. Left nine months later with 3 cars and no bikes. Did a bunch of cool work, but when you work on commission, and people don’t show up for their weeklong appointment, it’s a bummer. Went back to the mainstream shop and was able to make my mortgage.

The PRS are the weird “cheap” ones with the crappy crossovers, so I threw some really configurable image dynamics crossovers. I need to play with the crossover point, but this is the first time I have heard them, and I am in love with the tweeter. The audison amp is nuts. 120x2 class ab and 1000x1 class D.The p2 is “only” getting 500 watts, but it’s probably not long for this world. I also need to remove the rear speakers, so the bass can come in the cabin. I may do something crazy, and do a infinite baffle setup, but that will happen later down the road.
      -Jon

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      82' Rabbit Diesel Pickup, 96 Passat TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI and '67 Cougar, '78 C20 Crewcab, '97 Ram2500
      01-14-2020 12:23 AM #112
      So, the Beamer looks great but..... any info on the F-100 in the background .... ;<)

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-14-2020 10:06 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegwagon82 View Post
      So, the Beamer looks great but..... any info on the F-100 in the background .... ;<)
      Nope, it was probably waiting for a smog.
      -Jon

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      01-14-2020 12:54 PM #114
      Yah, I used to do car stereo, and for a bit, worked at a high end shop. Until I couldn’t it afford to anymore. I literally subsidized working there by selling my cars. I started with 7 cars and 2.5 bikes. Left nine months later with 3 cars and no bikes. Did a bunch of cool work, but when you work on commission, and people don’t show up for their weeklong appointment, it’s a bummer. Went back to the mainstream shop and was able to make my mortgage.

The PRS are the weird “cheap” ones with the crappy crossovers, so I threw some really configurable image dynamics crossovers. I need to play with the crossover point, but this is the first time I have heard them, and I am in love with the tweeter. The audison amp is nuts. 120x2 class ab and 1000x1 class D.The p2 is “only” getting 500 watts, but it’s probably not long for this world. I also need to remove the rear speakers, so the bass can come in the cabin. I may do something crazy, and do a infinite baffle setup, but that will happen later down the road.
      There is a guy up here that does custom sub boxes for E30/E24’s. People love his work. Shannon (16Volt) had him do one for his 6er and it sounds phenomenal. Can’t remember the guy’s name but Shannon would.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      01-14-2020 03:06 PM #115
      There is a guy up here that does custom sub boxes for E30/E24’s. People love his work. Shannon (16Volt) had him do one for his 6er and it sounds phenomenal. Can’t remember the guy’s name but Shannon would.
      Negative. I'm thinking that's the same guy that Shannon said "Don't cut anything" and then there was a sawzall. 16Volt could confirm.
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

01-14-2020 09:24 PM #116
      I can't wait to watch this thing progress. I loved my E30.
      All Hail Andy?

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-14-2020 09:48 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Negative. I'm thinking that's the same guy that Shannon said "Don't cut anything" and then there was a sawzall. 16Volt could confirm.
      I bet it’s the same guy than used to post on R3vlimited way back. He had the whole forum on lock for sub boxes.

Sawzall? I would use an air powered body saw to hack up cars. Much easier to destroy only what you wanted. Made a terrible noise though.

Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      I can't wait to watch this thing progress. I loved my E30.
      You mean buying parts isn’t progress? Which reminds me, I need to order a pilot bearing. Then the parts ordering should be done for the manual swap. I think.

Also, might have someone on the hook for the wheels. At a price that will almost cover the tires for the 15s.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-16-2020 08:45 PM #118
      Looks like it’s a go for selling the wheels.

So, now I have to make a decision on tires. The iX runs 205/55/15. Stock 14 is 195/65/14. Currently installed is a 215/50/16.

I kinda want to keep 195 width on the 15s with a high performance all season, or maybe a mid level summer with a tread wear in the 300-400 range. Reason being, since it is a lower power RWD car, to make the dynamics more... accessible. As well, I am used to a super fizzy and involving fwd car with more power and lighter weight. (Which is getting Direzza zIIIs, because race car, or something)
      And maybe even do a slightly shorter tire, to improve the gear ratio.
      Thoughts?
      -Jon

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Twin TurboCharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-16-2020 09:02 PM #119
      Looks like it’s a go for selling the wheels.

So, now I have to make a decision on tires. The iX runs 205/55/15. Stock 14 is 195/65/14. Currently installed is a 215/50/16.

I kinda want to keep 195 width on the 15s with a high performance all season, or maybe a mid level summer with a tread wear in the 300-400 range. Reason being, since it is a lower power RWD car, to make the dynamics more... accessible. As well, I am used to a super fizzy and involving fwd car with more power and lighter weight. (Which is getting Direzza zIIIs, because race car, or something)
      And maybe even do a slightly shorter tire, to improve the gear ratio.
      Thoughts?
      Just throw a set of three quarter worn snow tires on it. That should definitely help with the "dynamics".
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

01-16-2020 10:18 PM #120
      205/50-15 and forget about it.
      All Hail Andy?

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-17-2020 10:08 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      205/50-15 and forget about it.
      You are probably right. The Conti Extremecontact Sport reviews a hair below the Michelin 4S on tirerack. They are also the most expensive option. Steering feel and predictability are more than safe than an involving drive.

But with the desire for a “fizzy” drive, and the tires are gonna be the second most important contributor besides the manual swap. Which leads me to the Firestone Firehawk AS in 195/55. They are well reviewed on tirerack. They are also 20 bucks less a tire. That’s almost 90 dollars with tax.

I have to make a decision soon, as the 16s are gone! Had overnight some lugs, as I have no more cone seat lugs, and the bottle caps are the only wheels that have tires on them right now. Well the RAs have tires, but they were all completely flat, and when I tried to air them up, two didn’t seal on the bead. Which is concerning. If they turn out to be junk, I will be forced to put the Zender turbo’s on.
      -Jon

23. 01-17-2020 10:16 AM #122
      +1 for extreme contact sports, put them on my integra in 205/50/15 and wow, those things were great during the cold thunderstorms in Tampa, not to mention they'll take spirited driving well. Outside of possible the new yoko s-drive replacement and the bfg comp2, that was the best tire that wasn't a 200tw autocross/semi-track tire.

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-17-2020 01:52 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      +1 for extreme contact sports, put them on my integra in 205/50/15 and wow, those things were great during the cold thunderstorms in Tampa, not to mention they'll take spirited driving well. Outside of possible the new yoko s-drive replacement and the bfg comp2, that was the best tire that wasn't a 200tw autocross/semi-track tire.
      Talked to someone offline, and they said the same thing. Ordered the Extremecontacts. Can’t wait to see the car on the 15s.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      BRZ
      01-17-2020 02:09 PM #124
      Talked to someone offline, and they said the same thing. Ordered the Extremecontacts. Can’t wait to see the car on the 15s.
      Oooh, those are supposed to be very nice.

Are your wheels 15x7? I know you said you already ordered rubber, but 195/50/15 DZ102's are on clearance at Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

On my side, I ditched the lovely PS4S for some cheaper, stickier rubber: Kumho V720. Love 'em so far. Loud as hell but great dry grip. Super stiff sidewalls. Cold/wet grip lags behind the PS4S but whatever.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Out of Warranty BMWs
      01-17-2020 02:43 PM #125
      Ah yes, I remember new tire day for most of my cars. I even grabbed a photo of one of the new tires for the E30 back when I had it.

I had 16" wheels, and did Kuhmo's in 205/50.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast