VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carvana selling experience - above and beyond what we expected

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      01-03-2020 03:19 PM #1
      Since we got a new car for my wife as per the other thread, we ultimately had to let go of her Civic one way or another. For point of reference, this was a '14 Civic EX-L w/Nav with 76k miles that she bought new and babied since. We did not want to post the car for sale privately for the sake of not dealing with random people showing up on our doorstep and really just wanted something fast and convenient.

Carmax - we stopped in while running errands and 30 mins later, we got an $8k estimate.
      Dealerships - average $6k to $8k but nothing in writing
      KBB - did the process online and got a quote of about $8,300.
      Shift's site was not working for a few days while we attempted so we gave up.
      Vroom - did the process online and got a quote of about $8,500
      Carvana - did the questions online, and got $10,300 This was done on 12/30 and took all of 5 mins to do.

We thought it was too good to be true so we accepted. Following that we were asked to upload a photo of the odometer, driver license, and front/back of the pink slip. Also on 12/30 when we accepted the claim, 5 mins to do.
      The following day we were contacted via email that we can set-up an appointment to have the car picked up as the ownership verification was successful. We selected 1/2 at 3:30pm.
      40 mins prior appointment, contacted by Carvana to confirm our appointment.
      At 3:30, an Uber pulls up and drops off a Carvana rep. He introduces himself, loosely inspects and photographs the interior/exterior/odometer, starts the car, and confirms we are good. Paperwork was signed and he provided a pre-printed check for the full amount. 20 mins for the appointment and he drives off in our car and we have the check.

By far, the easiest transaction we could have ever asked for. YMMV obviously but we were shocked and pleasantly surprised as to how easy this all went down.

If you have any questions, let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      01-03-2020 03:28 PM #2
      That was a nice bonus from the usual CarMax offer, congratulations. Have to keep Carvana on the list of places to check when a car sale is needed.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      01-03-2020 04:12 PM #3
      That's good to hear. I guess you can pay a premium when you're reselling to a group of consumers happy to overpay so they don't have to interact with a scary live human.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      01-03-2020 04:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      That's good to hear. I guess you can pay a premium when you're reselling to a group of consumers happy to overpay so they don't have to interact with a scary live human.
      Or an overly pushing and annoying human that is trying to cram all sorts of stuff you don't want down your throat. I can totally see paying a bit more to not have to deal with that.

Nice to see the process went nice and smooth.

01-03-2020 04:17 PM #5
      Don't underestimate that. It's called value, as in "I value my time and my sanity to not have to deal with the typical car dealer bull".

I never thought that would be me, but here I am at 42 with a kid and a career and my time is worth a lot to me these days.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      01-03-2020 04:22 PM #6
      Did a quick check on Carvana's financials, and they are now valued the same as Carmax (both $14 billion market cap). Carvana's stock has gone up 500% in the last 2 years, though it has never made a profit

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01-03-2020 04:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Don't underestimate that. It's called value, as in "I value my time and my sanity to not have to deal with the typical car dealer bull".

I never thought that would be me, but here I am at 42 with a kid and a career and my time is worth a lot to me these days.
      Eh, it's kind of rookie behavior if you let car dealers waste your time and jerk you around. You need to control the situation.

Make appointments to test drive specific stock numbers/have trades appraised/take delivery, and only talk about money and handle financial applications via phone, email, and online, and you will have little issues.

9. 01-03-2020 05:05 PM #8
      And keep in mind, in some states if you trade in your old car, that comes right off the top of the new car purchase price for the purposes of calculating sales tax.

So, a private sale has to come out $X better or more than the trade in value to make sense. Just "they gave me more" in those states, by itself, isn't enough.

In this case, imagine an $8K trade in (not sure why, if he values his time, he didn't trade in, but it seemed to all work out). At 7.5% tax rate, that's actually an $8600 value against the new car. Any private sale of any kind would have to beat that enough to make up for the hassle of doing the private sale.

Obviously, in this case it did. Apparently it's painless to get a quote from Carvana. Interesting. I'm off to take some photos of my car and see what's what.

Vehicles
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 2015 GTI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      01-03-2020 05:13 PM #9
      Thanks for posting this. Since picking up my Giulia I have my GTI on Craigslist, Vortex classifieds, FB Marketplace, and two FB Euro classifieds groups at a reasonable price . Two emails, no lookers. I went to CarMax, but they were backed up and couldn’t get to me until 1.5 hours later (I didn’t have an appointment). I’ve been toying with going the Carvana route and your experience is very helpful.

EDIT: I just used their online estimator (did not enter my VIN) and their estimated value is only $500 below what I'm hoping to get for the car.
      Last edited by silverspeedbuggy; 01-03-2020 at 05:18 PM.

01-03-2020 05:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Thanks for posting this. Since picking up my Giulia I have my GTI on Craigslist, Vortex classifieds, FB Marketplace, and two FB Euro classifieds groups at a reasonable price . Two emails, no lookers. I went to CarMax, but they were backed up and couldn’t get to me until 1.5 hours later (I didn’t have an appointment). I’ve been toying with going the Carvana route and your experience is very helpful.
      I am sensing the usual "sell my car" channels are pretty soft these days for higher dollar, newer cars. I.e. - Most people who want a used GTI will likely go the dealership route.
      Matt

01-03-2020 05:19 PM #11
      Eh, it's kind of rookie behavior if you let car dealers waste your time and jerk you around. You need to control the situation.

Make appointments to test drive specific stock numbers/have trades appraised/take delivery, and only talk about money and handle financial applications via phone, email, and online, and you will have little issues.
      Oh, you can still have issues even if you are a pro. And there's a lot of people out there who aren't. So you're being a little dismissive, in my opinion.
      Matt

Vehicles
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 2015 GTI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      01-03-2020 05:19 PM #12
      I am sensing the usual "sell my car" channels are pretty soft these days for higher dollar, newer cars. I.e. - Most people who want a used GTI will likely go the dealership route.
      This time of year it's tough to sell a car. Post-holiday debt, cold weather, post-holiday debt, pre-tax return, post-holiday debt.

14. 01-03-2020 05:28 PM #13
      Dealers have been offering me around $1,000-$1,200
      Carmax: $900
      KBB: $1,300

Carvana: $200

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01-03-2020 05:37 PM #14
      Oh, you can still have issues even if you are a pro. And there's a lot of people out there who aren't. So you're being a little dismissive, in my opinion.
      I agree there's a lot of people who aren't. I just suspect that you personally would not see a large benefit as a buyer from this service, and of course, you're a smart guy so you realize that Carvana isn't guaranteed to be issue free either.

01-03-2020 05:44 PM #15
      I agree there's a lot of people who aren't. I just suspect that you personally would not see a large benefit as a buyer from this service, and of course, you're a smart guy so you realize that Carvana isn't guaranteed to be issue free either.
      Fully agree there. I also worked for CarMax back in the day as a sales consultant, so I did get to live it. I am not necessarily the right customer for either model. But I love the car buying aspect of both businesses.

But I am not the target market for Carvana and CarMax. People like my mom and dad are. Or my cousin. None of them give 2 whits about cars - they want something comfortable, reliable, and safe, and they do not want to deal with the sharks in the sales office. I get that. There's a lot of people out there who are willing to pay a little more for convenience and piece of mind. I won't begrudge anyone that.

I believe the dealer sales model is in the early stages of being blown up anyway, and its companies like Tesla, Carvana, and CarMax who will lead the way.
      Matt

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Twin TurboCharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-03-2020 06:01 PM #16
      They are hyper competitive right now as they are trying to increase their national inventory. I see them bidding and buying a whole bunch of my nice trade ins and timed out used cars. Above what wholesale is.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      01-03-2020 06:08 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post

Are you familiar with Carvana? I have nothing against cheap beaters, but that is 100% what Carvana is not. Their offer reflects that they do not want the car and it'll go straight to auction.

OP, what was KBB private party, or what were you expecting? I cant imagine paying a whole lot more for that type of car at a dealership, so that seems like a pretty solid offer.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-03-2020 06:13 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      They are hyper competitive right now as they are trying to increase their national inventory. I see them bidding and buying a whole bunch of my nice trade ins and timed out used cars. Above what wholesale is.
      This explains their nearly $11k offer for the GTI, which seemed way above market to me. Perhaps I should take it and run and get another Volt (totally serious, actually, I'm seriously digging this Volt thing and think two of them in the household would be perfect).
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

20. 01-03-2020 06:17 PM #19

This

I have walked on a few cars because dealers tried playing games.

Even warned one dealer that i wouldn't wait around for an answer. Had all information and the online price was agreed to. Went in, looked it over, then "wait for the manager"

Walked out and never went back.
      I hate waiting around. Even more so with kids who don't want to be there.

This is probably the 6th or 7th person to post a great experience using Carvana. Im going to look into it in the future.
      Boiler Up!

21. 01-03-2020 06:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post

EDIT: I just used their online estimator (did not enter my VIN) and their estimated value is only $500 below what I'm hoping to get for the car.
      yeah, my GTI came it at a couple hundo less than what Edmund's figured.

22. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      01-03-2020 06:59 PM #21
      Whoa whoa whoa, Carvana does this? Glad you had a good experience but more so glad to hear there's another option for trade in values.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      F80 M3 SS/SO
      01-03-2020 07:21 PM #22
      some of the "I value my time" posters ITT have a heck of a lot of posts on this forum.

24. 01-03-2020 07:23 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
      some of the "I value my time" posters ITT have a heck of a lot of posts on this forum.
      Hey, they didn't define WHAT gives them value.

They simply said "that doesn't give me value".

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      01-03-2020 07:24 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post

Every single time a conversation like this starts a butthurt guy trying to dump a 15 year old car shows up
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      01-03-2020 08:00 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
      Who have accounts older than some posters on this forum -- I can say I had more free time in past years.

Eh, it's kind of rookie behavior if you let car dealers waste your time and jerk you around.
      Unless dealer sales staff turnover has improved since I last looked, it's more appropriate IMO to say that dealer staff wasting buyers time is rookie behavior. Only one side of this transaction is professional, but in general that side has been on the job less than six months.
      call it potatography

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast